Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   Diablo Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Diablo's Original Pitch (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=220632)

Leviathon 03-20-2016 06:42 PM

Diablo's Original Pitch

Neat look back at the original ideas for the game.

http://graybeardgames.blogspot.com.a...-document.html

Trickster 03-20-2016 07:49 PM

Noice!

Omacron 03-20-2016 09:08 PM

I was about to post this. The idea they had for random elements of the game to be "collectible" is even more diabolical than the RMAH; a sinister precursor to modern-day DLC.

C9H20 03-21-2016 04:13 PM

What the hell is this Condor they keep talking about? Was Diablo not an original Blizz creation?

EDIT: Apparently Condor is the original name of Blizzard North, initially an independent company absorbed by Blizzard 9 months before the launch of Diablo.

The games they helped produce are: Justice League Task Force, Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It pretty much fizzled out in 2003 when most of the original people left and mostly formed new companies.

The more you know.

Nazja 03-21-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 1449421)
What the hell is this Condor they keep talking about? Was Diablo not an original Blizz creation?

Blizzard North used to be called Condor, before it was bought by Blizzard a few months before Diablo's release.

HackBenjamin 03-23-2016 06:20 AM

So D1 was originally envisioned as a turn based game? It seems like it would have been like Might and Magic but isometric.

Mutterscrawl 03-23-2016 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C9H20 (Post 1449421)

EDIT: Apparently Condor is the original name of Blizzard North, initially an independent company absorbed by Blizzard 9 months before the launch of Diablo.

The games they helped produce are: Justice League Task Force, Diablo, Diablo II, Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. It pretty much fizzled out in 2003 when most of the original people left and mostly formed new companies.

The more you know.

They apparently had a hand in Torchlight after they dissolved, which was very Diablo-esque and a lot of fun.

Man I love the Torchlight Universe, I wish they made more games in the setting.

Warlock 03-23-2016 08:57 AM

Yes, Blizzard North was Condor. Everyone kind of left after Blizzard (South), from what I understand, more or less fell out of favor with them (I've heard a lot of scuttlebutt about how Diablo II's code was an absolute mess and I believe they were relegated to working on the GBA ports of Silicon and Synapse's old titles). Most of them went on to form Runic Games which made Torchlight, which is why that game is basically Diablo 2. It's also why Max Schaefer was publicly trash talking the Diablo 3 delays (I recall something along the lines of "Torchlight 3 will be out before Diablo 3" - yeah, that worked out well, didn't it?). I feel like there was a lot of bad blood there.

Looking at the wiki page for Runic, ironic they had some Flagship people there too. Guess this was the ex-Blizzard hangout :P

I'll need to check this doc out. I knew about a lot of this from an old interview in the Diablo 1 strategy guide where they talked about the original pitch being a turn-based claymation thing. Sounded really goofy TBH.

Edit: God damn, Bill Roper is working on Disney Infinity now? That's crazy.... I just thought he disappeared into the night after Flagship blew up...

Edit 2: Ok, checked out the PDF. Super interesting. The game didn't change nearly as much as I thought. Also the turn-based thing makes sense reading it that way - the game was basically fantasy X-Com.

The expansion pack thing was also kind of genius. I can see why they didn't go with it because it's very evil (maybe appropriate for Diablo? :P) But it's not dis-similar to what they are doing now with Diablo 3 patches (only these are free).