Scrolls of Lore Forums

Scrolls of Lore Forums (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/index.php)
-   StarCraft Discussion (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Short Story: Ascension (http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=218065)

Nazja 10-01-2015 03:49 PM

Short Story: Ascension

Go read it.

Noitora 10-01-2015 04:22 PM

Don't tell me what to do.

Nazja 10-01-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371053)
Don't tell me what to do.

Listen to your mom.

Noitora 10-01-2015 11:11 PM

Who are these people, and why should I care about them?

Mutterscrawl 10-02-2015 07:28 AM

I guess something in here will show how the Tal'darim can become a faction that joins the Daelaam.

Maybe that Fifth-ascendant lady?

Noitora 10-02-2015 09:57 AM

Seriously though, who the fuck are these people? I barely played WoL.

Mutterscrawl 10-02-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371374)
Seriously though, who the fuck are these people? I barely played WoL.

They weren't in WoL, they're all new characters.

Noitora 10-02-2015 10:03 AM

So they're not that one group of crazy Protoss in WoL. Seriously, why do I care about these people?

Mutterscrawl 10-02-2015 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371377)
So they're not that one group of crazy Protoss in WoL. Seriously, why do I care about these people?

Oh no they're absolutely that group just, none of them were named prior to this.

Revenant 10-02-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1371237)
I guess something in here will show how the Tal'darim can become a faction that joins the Daelaam.

At a BlizzCon they already showed a mission where Artanis does the thing with the two pits with the Highlord guy. It makes more sense now.

Mutterscrawl 10-02-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revenant (Post 1371497)
At a BlizzCon they already showed a mission where Artanis does the thing with the two pits with the Highlord guy. It makes more sense now.

Ahhh

Menel'dirion 10-02-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revenant (Post 1371497)

I've been trying to find the video so I can watch it again, but I can't seem to find it.

Noitora 10-02-2015 03:37 PM

So who are the factions in StarCraft? Besides the races.

Revenant 10-02-2015 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371612)

Currently...

Terran
  • Terran Dominion - Evil empire turned good, main flavor
  • Kel-Morian Combine -They like strip-mining
  • Umojan Protectorate - Paranoid hippies
  • UED - Earth Nazis
  • Pirates of all types

Zerg
  • Kerrigan's Zerg
  • Other Queens

Protoss
  • Khalai - Main protoss
  • Nerazim - Dark templar
  • Tal'Darim - Batshit outsiders

Then there is Amon, who has members of all three races doing his bidding.

Menel'dirion 10-02-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371612)

Terran:
The Terran Dominion: corrupt dictatorship founded by Arcturus Mengsk after he used the Zerg to overthrow the equally corrupt Confederacy of Man. Now ruled by Arcturus' allegedly more idealistic son, Valerian, who is purportedly instituting reforms.

The Umojan Protectorate: Dominion's much more idealistic yet militarily weaker neighbor. They do like harboring political refugees from the Dominion, as well as using espionage and supporting insurgent groups within the Dominion to keep it off balance so as to prevent an invasion. Home of Valerian's mother.

The Kel-Morian Combine: Corporate conglomerate with its own military. Lost a lot of its autonomy years ago in a war with the Confederacy. Not overly explored.

United Earth Directorate: From Earth, sent a fleet led by Admirals Dugalle and Stukov to subdue and stabilize the Korprulu Sector once aliens appeared. Succeeded for about a minute before being steamrolled under Kerrigan's rise to power. Believers in the purity of the human race (or at least we're when they banished the TerransTerrans who eventually colonized the Korprulu Sector), so they don't care for psychics or cyborgs.

Various Underworld Syndicates, such as the one led by Mira Han, the psychotic European cyborg merc who apparently married Raynor's 2nd in command after he won a card game (and much to Horner's chagrin, she takes that somewhat seriously).

Quasi-Canon: if you side with the colonists against the Protoss in WoL, the news reports that a lot of the refugees from the current Zerg invasion are founding independent colonies.

Zerg:
A lot of the old broods if not all from sc1 are gone. By the looks of things they've been replaced by new as of yet unnamed broods led by Brood Mothers (bigger smarter queens).

Beyond that there's also Primal Zerg, individual Zerg from the homeworld of Zerus who seek personal evolution by consuming the essence of other creatures, including/especially other Zerg.

Protoss:
Probably have the most factions that we know of, so please do forgive me if I don't go into too much detail initially. I'm typing on a phone.

Judicator Caste (rulers and record keepers):
Ara Tribe: Rulers, known for being pricks. Their power has reduced significantly since the fall of Aiur.
Shelak Tribe: Record keeper and archaeologists. Khans, who invented Protoss writing and rediscovered the Khala, ending the age of strife, came from this clan.

Khalai Caste (artisans):
Furinax Tribe: Armorers. There are other Khalai caste tribes, but these are the only ones who make weapons, so they're the only ones ever featured anywhere.

Templar Caste (Warriors):
Akilae: Main army.
Auriga: Main fleet.
Sargas: Enforcers, high rate of Dark Templar defections.
Velari: Only thing of note is that they were defeated when the Overmind came to Aiur
Venatir: also known for high dark templar defection rate

Nerazim (commonly known as Dark Templar):
Alysaar: record keepers, maintain crystals that hold DT memories.
Boros: known for armor and helmets.
Zera'tai: use scythes and wear Zerg bones.
Lenassa: wear cloth masks on face.

Tal'darim: The new short story will give you a better idea than I ever could. Basically Amon worshipping Protoss Sith.

If you want to know more about specific tribes: http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss_tribes

EDIT: edited in descriptions for Protoss Tribes.

Insane Guy of Doom 10-11-2015 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl (Post 1371380)
Oh no they're absolutely that group just, none of them were named prior to this.

Ma'lash is in Whispers of Oblivion though.

Myrillion 10-11-2015 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noitora (Post 1371377)
Seriously, why do I care about these people?

Eh, Alarak will appear in Legacy of the Void, so it looks like this short story will at less be kind of 'relevant' to some the characters...

& Ma'lash escaped at the end of WoO IIRC, so that's two whole characters that might actually be irrelevant, unlike pretty much every other short story, most of which served no purpose other than to reiterate stuff (like Changeling, Broken Wide, Just an Overlord all showing how adaptive the Zerg are etc.), or indicate that Amon/Hybrids/something are doing stuff (Cold Symmetry).

The characters in Ascension will show up, which is more than can be said for those in a lot of other short stories, & as for caring about them... well they aren't all utter morons, so surely that warrants them more than pretty every other bastardised character?

Noitora 11-10-2015 06:04 PM

Well this game added some context to the story.