Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 06:16 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default Dark Factions is Here!

Yay! I have just skimmed the book so far, but it's pretty good. In particular, it has a lot of information about neutral races like Goblins, Pandaren, Naga, etc.

The beginning of the book has a lot of classes and such, which I flipped through quickly since it's more RPG mechanics stuff

But about halfway through it goes into Brann mode and actually becomes quite informative. There is actually a HISTORY OF THE GOBLINS (I need a double underline)

Here is a summary: The Goblins originated on Kezan. Long ago, they were the slaves of the Trolls, and relatively stupid. The trolls forced them to mine the Undermine for a precious mineral called kaja'mite (named after Mt. Kajaro). The trolls used this mineral in their voodoo practices, but the Goblins soon discovered it had other properties and hid this knowledge from the trolls. They hoarded the minerals, and exposure to them slowly increased their intellegence - starting with crude technology, and eventually culminating in fabulous inventions they are known for. They broke all ties to the trolls with their newfound intellegence, and took over Kezan, claiming the Undermine as their capital (as it was still the source of kaja'mite). Eventually though, the kaja'mite ran out. The Goblins searched desperately for more, but could never find any. So, they had peaked intellectually and eventually had trouble maintaining their inventions - instead keeping them barely together with random junk and soforth (which is why Goblin inventions are known to be unstable).

Having lost their intellegence gain, they turned to the next best thing - commerce. And thus the Trade Princes and corporations were born. There is also an excerpt describing their involvement in WarCraft 2, which is MUCH better than the previous one. Basically, a single Trade Prince thought the Horde was destined to win the war, and aligned with them. When the Horde lost, he left and went back to Kezan in dismay. From that point on, the Goblins decided to remain completely neutral, if only to better exploit both sides

There is also a really good writeup on the Twilight's Hammer Clan, which describes them much better than I've seen done before. Essentially they are not "Old God worshippers", but rather they seek to have a hand in, or at the very least witness, the apocoplyse. So, they study the Old Gods specifically for this purpose, and also they have a facination with elementals (though I sort of wonder if this was just written to explain away their appearance in BRD). But the writeup does a really nice job on talking about Cho'gall and basically describes how he followed Gul'dan to the Tomb of Sargeras where his clan (and presumably him) were slaughtered by Doomhammer's troops. Cho'gall's missives survived and those that remained of his clan sought to study them and spread the word. Brann also believes that the Old Gods have an influence on the clan, as he often describes how they are "sleeping but seem to have a psychic impact on their surroundings."

Oh, and I think there is finally some good evidence to shut up the "ZOMG Hakkar is teh Old Godzz Lolzzz!111" people. Most of what is written is stuff we know, but the book specifically describes Hakkar as one of the troll's gods (essentially a Loa, though it doesn't actually use that name) and also says he comes from another world. Given that the Old Gods are on Azeroth, I think this is at least enough to shut people up who keep seeing "the Faceless One" and trying to draw a connection from that. But of course, it probably won't.

Anyways, there are also a decent number of monsters near the back, including pretty much every single Naga unit from Frozen Throne. It even has "Tube Wyrm" which are those wyrms that come out of their towers (the ones that look like pools). That's cool It also has Dragon Turtle, Snap Dragon, Couatl, Chromatic Dragons, and some others.

Oh, and I can say the artwork is pretty decent this time around. It's still not quite as good as say, the original RPG books. But there is a lot less of that crappy cartoonish art and more detailed stuff. There are a few that are really awesome, including a drawing of the Pandaren Brewmaster's ultimate "Storm, Earth and Fire" and a very cool composite Onyxia/Katrina Prestor picture. Overall, much improved over the other books.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Loremaster

Cool! I can't wait for Amazon to send me my copy. What does it say about Hobgoblins?
Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Keeper of Lore

It has a full monster page for them now - I don't think they did before (but I can't remember). Most of it's kind of what we knew - they are alchemically altered Goblins. It says most only live to be a few years old (a 3 year old Hobgoblin is considered ancient), and they can alter their metabolism if needed to pump themselves full of adrenaline. Other than that, they are mentally unstable and very difficult to control, so they are kind of a rare sight because of this.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:45 PM

Keeper of Lore

Last edited by Warlock; 05-14-2008 at 06:48 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I /knew/ Goblins were evolved from trolls!
Old 05-14-2008, 08:45 PM

Loremaster

The "kaja'mite" does kind of explain why a certain portion of the goblin race, while fairly clever and physically apt at using devices, are basically downright stupid (namely, the ones under Deathwing's command). They might have never been exposed to the mineral on Kezan and thus they don't seem to really be capable of creating much on their own unless their master tells them what to do and how to do it.

Though, I'm caused to wonder...just which trolls were they slaves of? Was it the Gurubashi Empire, or perhaps some geographically isolated offshoot after the Sundering, similar to the Jungle Troll-descended Sand Trolls in Tanaris? The only other trolls we know of in the southern hemisphere of Azeroth are the Zandalar, and they seem unlikely to have enslaved another race.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
The "kaja'mite" does kind of explain why a certain portion of the goblin race, while fairly clever and physically apt at using devices, are basically downright stupid (namely, the ones under Deathwing's command). They might have never been exposed to the mineral on Kezan and thus they don't seem to really be capable of creating much on their own unless their master tells them what to do and how to do it.

Though, I'm caused to wonder...just which trolls were they slaves of? Was it the Gurubashi Empire, or perhaps some geographically isolated offshoot after the Sundering, similar to the Jungle Troll-descended Sand Trolls in Tanaris? The only other trolls we know of in the southern hemisphere of Azeroth are the Zandalar, and they seem unlikely to have enslaved another race.
The Isle of Kezan is home to Jungle Trolls, as per previous books in the RPG.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:59 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The Isle of Kezan is home to Jungle Trolls, as per previous books in the RPG.
Ah, thanks for reminding me. Forgot about that.

Though, the crux of my pondering was whether their servitude occurred when Azeroth was all one landmass, at which point it probably would have been the Gurubashi Jungle Trolls in charge, or if it was after the Sundering occurred and the Gurubashi Empire was basically cut off from exercising control over any Jungle Trolls who weren't inside the newly created eastern continent.

My point being, if it were the latter, it could mean that the trolls of Kezan and the goblins are still enemies, while the goblins don't seem to hold any particular hostility toward the Jungle Trolls of the mainland.

Last edited by ARM3481; 05-14-2008 at 11:06 PM..
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM

From the previous RPGs we know the Jungle Trolls of Kezan are pissed at their "home" being taken away by the goblins, but it was implied the goblins moved in to Kezan and made it their base, displacing the native Jungle Trolls. Now, it seems, both species were native and the Goblins simply overpowered the trolls.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Ah, thanks for reminding me. Forgot about that.

Though, the crux of my pondering was whether their servitude occurred when Azeroth was all one landmass, at which point it probably would have been the Gurubashi Jungle Trolls in charge, or if it was after the Sundering occurred and the Gurubashi Empire was basically cut off from exercising control over any Jungle Trolls who weren't inside the newly created eastern continent.

My point being, if it were the latter, it could mean that the trolls of Kezan and the goblins are still enemies, while the goblins don't seem to hold any particular hostility toward the Jungle Trolls of the mainland.

Hard to say when this slavery ended. During the War of the Ancients, the goblins working for Deathwing were pretty technologically savy, esp. for the time. They managed to create Deathwing's impressive adamantium armor, which seemed to be no easy task. They'd probably have to have a sufficiently advanced intellect for that.

However there was no real indication of their commerce skills. Plus Deathwing had mindcontrolled Trolls there too, they could have been the goblin's original slavemasters that he liberated them from. If that were true, it would put the troll/goblin break sometime after the sundering.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Yay, c'mon Warlock, give us more info about goblins: dates, for example.

Anyway, is there anything new about the Pandaren? In the Blizzplanet Q&A I make that question, and he said they were Kalimdor's pandaren, so we shouldn't expect anything about Pandaria...

Moar info pliz!!!!!!

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I /knew/ Goblins were evolved from trolls!
Does it say they were evolved from trolls?
Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 AM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
Does it say they were evolved from trolls?
No, it doesn't In fact, it implies they were *not*.

Anyways, I read through some more last night (the faction writeups are very, very good), plus I forgot to mention some other cool details. So here you go:

The book talks about the Dark Horde (aka Rend's Horde) and has an interesting history writeup for that. I swear this is presented somewhere else (maybe Horde-side UBRS quests?) but I could never find the source after some looking (and my only 60 Horde character could never get any UBRS runs). In any case, Rend and Maim took over Blackrock Spire after Doomhammer's defeat. However, the Dark Irons fought a war against them to reclaim the Spire. The Dark Horde allied themselves with the black dragonflight and ultimately fought the Dark Irons back down to BRD, but in that battle, Maim sacrificed himself to protect BRS. The rest you probably know.

The Syndicate write-up does a very good job of clearifying all the BS about Perenolde finally. Indeed, Aiden Perenolde was the king of Alterac, and was imprisioned after his betrayal. The book does one further and apparently he died rotting in jail. His son is Aliden Perenolde, who is the NPC in WoW and leader of the Syndicate. There is a bit more about how most of the bandits in the Syndicate dislike the leadership, since it's full of spoiled nobles and such. Not much else to say, other than I'm somewhat disappointed that their connection with the Burning Legion/Argus Wake is omitted here

The Defias write-up is also pretty much as expected, though it goes into a bit more detail about the Stonemasons. Basically, it says the nobles of Stormwind were the ones who refused to pay, and Varian Wrynn tried every way possible to solve the problem, but the nobles constantly outmanuvered him (and they were too powerful and corrupt to stop essentially). There is also a little bit about how very few Defias still hold the "revenge" idea, other than VanCleef and some of the higher-ups, but most are just in it to pillage and soforth now. Unfortunately, absolutely no mention of their ties to the Bloodsails. The only thing it really says about the Juggernaught (other than saying it's from the First War ) is that it was meant to disrupt Stormwind's trade and commerce. There is also no mention of Varian's abduction here, which is unfortunate

Oh, and the Scarlet Crusade one has a hilarious correction to a retcon kind of thing. Remember how Abbendis was called a man in the RPG, but the NPC in WoW is a woman? Yeah, she's a chick here, but her writeup specifically says "the daughter of the former General Abbendis, who died fighting the undead." They basically corrected their previous mistake - awesome. Other than that, the writeup seemed to be lacking details. No mention of Fairbanks or the other Mograine, or really any of the Naxxramas story details at all. The "Leaders" section is also strangely missing a writeup for Dathrohan (aka Balnazzar) who is otherwise mentioned a few times in the history, and even has a story hook associated with him. Odd. And again, this seems to be set in the past. Taelen is still alive and it's as if the Naxxramas stuff didn't even happen yet.

I'd say overall though, even though a couple of them are missing some of the neater details (like for example, the Syndicate/Legion alliance), these are all very well-written writeups and probably represent some of the more "complete" histories of these factions in general that I've seen.

Last edited by Warlock; 05-15-2008 at 07:06 AM..
Old 05-15-2008, 07:13 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
No, it doesn't In fact, it implies they were *not*.

Anyways, I read through some more last night (the faction writeups are very, very good), plus I forgot to mention some other cool details. So here you go:

The book talks about the Dark Horde (aka Rend's Horde) and has an interesting history writeup for that. I swear this is presented somewhere else (maybe Horde-side UBRS quests?) but I could never find the source after some looking (and my only 60 Horde character could never get any UBRS runs). In any case, Rend and Maim took over Blackrock Spire after Doomhammer's defeat. However, the Dark Irons fought a war against them to reclaim the Spire. The Dark Horde allied themselves with the black dragonflight and ultimately fought the Dark Irons back down to BRD, but in that battle, Maim sacrificed himself to protect BRS. The rest you probably know.
Yeah, it says that somewhere in the questline. Sure, I've never leveled a Horde past 20, but I still know!
Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 PM

Loremaster

Admittedly, the omission of the Argus Wake's involvement isn't completely out of line. Based on the encoded documents that players capture, it's possible the Syndicate is completely ignorant of just who they've really allied with, and they might just think the Argus Wake's representatives are a loosely knit group of hedge mages seeking to profit personally from joining with the renegade nobility. The communique, once deciphered, does pretty much indicate that The Argus Wake is just using the Syndicate as an unwitting tool in sewing chaos and disruption to prepare for an eventual Legion invasion. If they had an inkling that their allies were actually demon worshipers seeking to assist in the destruction of all life on Azeroth and uninterested in actually allowing them to reclaim their kingdom, even the Syndicate probably wouldn't have anything to do with them.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 AM

Treant

Oh, that is awesome!

Linking to this thread on WoWWiki
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

http://pulyx.deviantart.com/
This guy's art also appeared on the main WoW page a few times.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:57 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
http://pulyx.deviantart.com/
This guy's art also appeared on the main WoW page a few times.
Yeah, i´ve seen a lot of his drawings in the Fan art page. Some pieces are better than others, sometimes he makes to faces far too long but most of it is very, very awesome.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas