Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
If we're giving up our Artifiacts, is it more likely that that happens at the beginning of the next expansion or the end of this one?
Personally I would say the pre-patch (so 8.0). Since pre-patches typically hold heavy class changes with abilities being added and removed. It makes sense to also deal with the artifacts at this point since the weapons themselves contain a lot of variables for every spec.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Maybe it's what gave Heart of the Aspects life if it's canon?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a miniature version of the Heart of the Aspects (not the Soul of the Aspects pet, but a scaled-down Heart of the Aspects model) briefly seen in front of the Dragon Soul when Thrall fires the final laser at the Madness of Deathwing?

In any case, both the Heart and Soul of the Aspects are described as having been born of the Dragon Soul's energies.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Old 09-26-2017, 06:04 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a miniature version of the Heart of the Aspects (not the Soul of the Aspects pet, but a scaled-down Heart of the Aspects model) briefly seen in front of the Dragon Soul when Thrall fires the final laser at the Madness of Deathwing?

In any case, both the Heart and Soul of the Aspects are described as having been born of the Dragon Soul's energies.
Yes, if you pay attention to Thrall as he's casting the final attack on Deathwing, the Heart of the Aspects appears in front of him. Then it turns into a beam of light and DW explodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
If we're giving up our Artifiacts, is it more likely that that happens at the beginning of the next expansion or the end of this one?
I don't think we will lose all the artifacts in the same way. My bet is that they are stashed for the future, but, since this has been a story-driven expansion, I expect each artifact to have its own ending. The weapons will return to legend, guarded by the Order Halls, waiting for the time when Azeroth need new Guardians again.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 09-26-2017 at 06:09 AM..
Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
Yes, if you pay attention to Thrall as he's casting the final attack on Deathwing, the Heart of the Aspects appears in front of him. Then it turns into a beam of light and DW explodes.

I don't think we will lose all the artifacts in the same way. My bet is that they are stashed for the future, but, since this has been a story-driven expansion, I expect each artifact to have its own ending. The weapons will return to legend, guarded by the Order Halls, waiting for the time when Azeroth need new Guardians again.
I feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I feel as if you do this often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:21 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I feel like you're setting yourself up for disappointment. I feel as if you do this often.
Where do you think you are?

This entire thread is about setting yourself up for huge disappointment, many times over.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:39 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
They were very unhappy with 7.2 and making a separate mini-questline for each class (= 12), so a questline for each artifact (= 36) ? Unlikely indeed.

At best we can hope for one per class (but then it's the same issue as 7.2). At worst, a single questline for everyone.

"Khadgar says : Oh no, save us hero, use the power of <artifact name> to seal the Wound in the prison of C'Thun !"
Old 09-26-2017, 07:46 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really sure how they go about implementing a story event that says we "lose" our artifacts when we're still going to be walking around with them until we replace them with quest greens in the next expansion.

To put it another way, how they stick the landing on this artifact business is going to be very interesting.

That said, it'll be sad to not have knaifu doing running commentary while I'm walking around.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:16 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMindWontQuiet View Post
They were very unhappy with 7.2 and making a separate mini-questline for each class (= 12), so a questline for each artifact (= 36) ? Unlikely indeed.
I do not expect them to do huge questlines or scenarios or anything complex.

More like:

QUEST: Talk to your second-in-command. Now that the Legion has been defeated, the Wound has been treated and everything seems calm, it's time to stash those artifacts.

Then you get one quest for each Artifact. You go somewhere or to somebody, he talks a little, and the Artifact is put in display.

You receive a new weapon as quest reward. Plus, you can go back anytime to the place or person that is guarding it and ask to recover the Artifact, for nostalgia purposes.

That's it. It's not 36 Questlines, just 36 "go to X and talk to this person" quests, each one appropriate to the Artifact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Yeah, I'm not really sure how they go about implementing a story event that says we "lose" our artifacts when we're still going to be walking around with them until we replace them with quest greens in the next expansion.

To put it another way, how they stick the landing on this artifact business is going to be very interesting.

That said, it'll be sad to not have knaifu doing running commentary while I'm walking around.
I think it will happen in 8.0. Classes will be reworked, the Artifact power tree will be scrapped, there will be no new relics to make it stronger. It will probably even lose its special power.

You do a quest, get a brand new weapon to replace the artifact, and can come back and recover the Artifact any time for nostalgia purposes. The end.

This quest will probably also unlock the Artifact's appearances for transmog.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

The way I see them getting rid of the weapons would be in an opening scenario of the next expac. The weapon goes green/blue/purple or whatever and then its special ability is just removed. There are many ways they could go about it, I dont see them being destroyed. I dont see them being kept away for safe keeping until the next threat because theres a threat every expansion. They could just go back to NPCs, Alleria did say she would be taking her Bow back, Turalyon could take up Ashbringer. Its going to be a hard sell for Blizz, we have these powerful weapons and now we dont need em
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM

Arch-Druid

If we do give them to NPCs they should use the updated skins obtained from the class campaign, to show our impact. Like any future appearances of Ashbringer it should look like this instead of the default:

Old 09-26-2017, 08:50 AM

Banished

It always bugged me how low res that model looks like.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:11 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeygiggles View Post
I dont see them being kept away for safe keeping until the next threat because theres a threat every expansion.
A threat every expansion, but not cosmic-level threats every expansion.
If we go back to smaller threats and faction conflict for a while, keeping all those powerful weapons away from Horde and Alliance politics actually makes a lot of sense.

And we players can always transmog the weapons (or recover the stashed artifact for whatever reason) in order to pretend we still use them, but in-lore they'd be kept safe waiting for the next world-destroying threat.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM

Banished

Yeah that is totally smart, given that we are facing even bigger threats by the expansion sure throw away a great weapon that could be used to kill great evils because horde and alliance are having a dick size contest.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:04 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
A threat every expansion, but not cosmic-level threats every expansion.
If we go back to smaller threats and faction conflict for a while, keeping all those powerful weapons away from Horde and Alliance politics actually makes a lot of sense.
Or this Void stuff continues to simmer for a while longer while the faction conflict comes to the fore, and one of the first things it does is cause the Class Orders to implode as the Horde and Alliance races within them start fighting and killing each other in an effort to deliver their artifacts to the armies of their respective factions.

Naturally this would be explained by an interview about the next expansion after it's revealed where one of the Devs basically says "As much as we liked the way it worked during Legion's story, it never really felt right to us that so many of these Alliance and Horde members were cooperating, so we wanted a way to undo that and make them all fight each other again. So with the demons defeated and no immediate threat to replace them right away, your first mission coming out of the Legion's defeat is to betray your own Class Hall for king and country and split the whole world between Red and Blue again."
Old 09-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Or this Void stuff continues to simmer for a while longer while the faction conflict comes to the fore, and one of the first things it does is cause the Class Orders to implode as the Horde and Alliance races within them start fighting and killing each other in an effort to deliver their artifacts to the armies of their respective factions.

Naturally this would be explained by an interview about the next expansion after it's revealed where one of the Devs basically says "As much as we liked the way it worked during Legion's story, it never really felt right to us that so many of these Alliance and Horde members were cooperating, so we wanted a way to undo that and make them all fight each other again. So with the demons defeated and no immediate threat to replace them right away, your first mission coming out of the Legion's defeat is to betray your own Class Hall for king and country and split the whole world between Red and Blue again."
Nah, that would just piss off a lot of players, because not many would like the prospect of playing a traitor. Far easier to stash the weapon away.

When faction conflict returns, the orders will be dehydratated by members returning to their own racial forces, but the leadership of the Orders will remain. They'll be what the Argent Crusade, Earthen Circle and Cenarion Circle always were.

Keeping powerful artifacts locked away by a holy order to not be misused is a common phantasy trope that I can see Blizzard using. It's a nice way to remove the artifacts without destroying or just ignoring their existance (like our all-mighty Wrathion cloaks or Draenor rings were just forgotten).

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Banished

Really starting to understand hammers descent into madness...
Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Elune

I doubt they're going to make 36 different quests, even one offs, to dispose of our artifacts.

Don't underestimate Blizzard's insistence on faction conflict. Even the class halls had them with the death knights.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM

Eternal

I actually wouldn't mind if Deathwing returned, cleansed of his madness by the Dragon Soul, going back to his mastermind scheming to take over the world nations of the world.

Also, cool potential for Wrathion interaction.

Now that I think of it, the return of Deathwing could be the one thing that would divert Wrathion's attention from the Legion.

Last edited by Ethenil; 09-26-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Old 09-26-2017, 12:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post

I've still got my fingers crossed for Xal'atath's personality to be represented in some of the upcoming Void characters, perhaps even with quotes implying they know the Shadow Priest player. If they can use her to give the Void more character, and give more individual identity and personality to them and the Void Lords, I think that would be a fitting fate for her.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:14 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I actually wouldn't mind if Deathwing returned, cleansed of his madness by the Dragon Soul, going back to his mastermind scheming to take over the world nations of the world.

Now that I think of it, the return of Deathwing could be the one thing that would divert Wrathion's attention from the Legion.
Deathwing returns to bring about playable wyrmskins
Old 09-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Deathwing returns to bring about playable wyrmskins
Well, the leak did allude to that...
Old 09-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Joeygiggles#1104

Quote:
Well, the leak did allude to that...
Or maybe thats where Wrathion is on the Dragon Isles
Old 09-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

No more Jeffwing, please. We had some of him in Highmountain, and that was enough, I think.

Infinite Dragonflight, though...
Old 09-26-2017, 01:44 PM

Elune

Quote:

If he were to be cleansed of his madness, why would he plot anything? He was a good man before the Old Gods turned him crazy.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
If he were to be cleansed of his madness, why would he plot anything? He was a good man before the Old Gods turned him crazy.
You misunderstand me. Cleansed of his madness, not his corruption. He was corrupted since before the Sundering, but in Cataclysm he was more than that, he was almost more beast than manipulator. That's what I mean.

But sure, he could come back as Neltharion too.
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion