Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Night Elf Icon (War3)

I'm fairly disappointed by the allied races, truth be told. My problem is the developers' choice of races - until Legion, nobody knew or cared about 4/6 of them. I mean take the Highmountain tauren: other than the moose horns, how is their characterization any way different from the tauren that have been playable for over a decade? Or lightforged draenei - what makes them unique other than being even more holy than their original race? It just feels like half of these allied races were picked just to save some money by re-using whatever Legion art assets that could still be salvaged for the new expansion.

Other than the Zandalari and Dark Iron, who have a long history in the Warcraft setting, those other ones don't appeal to me at all. I'm hoping a couple of better ones are going to be made available as the Battle for Azeroth patches roll out.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:30 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
I'm fairly disappointed by the allied races, truth be told. My problem is the developers' choice of races - until Legion, nobody knew or cared about 4/6 of them. I mean take the Highmountain tauren: other than the moose horns, how is their characterization any way different from the tauren that have been playable for over a decade? Or lightforged draenei - what makes them unique other than being even more holy than their original race? It just feels like half of these allied races were picked just to save some money by re-using whatever Legion art assets that could still be salvaged for the new expansion.

Other than the Zandalari and Dark Iron, who have a long history in the Warcraft setting, those other ones don't appeal to me at all. I'm hoping a couple of better ones are going to be made available as the Battle for Azeroth patches roll out.
Yeah I feel largely the same. This is even more compounded by class makeups within the faction and slots already filled by other... you know established characters.

I very much only want one of each class per faction and a Male/female of the races without doubling up. This makes that bloat even more unsustainable and honestly I don't have the patience anymore to delete a fairly leveled toon to make room for a new one and do it all again just to pay a sub to do chores.

I think out of all the races, Zandalari and Nightborne are the only ones I have interest in and sadly Horde got the Nightborne. That even has a sort of pin in it. Horde side I already have a male Troll Shaman and a Female Troll Druid. I'd be interested in, maybe making my Female Troll a Zandalari, but only becomes an option based on the undisclosed classes they can be and if they actually bother. That is largely dependent on them also getting Dinosaur forms for the class which is also extremely unlikely. Horde side I have a Female Bloodelf Warlock and a Male Bloodelf Demonhunter... I really don't feel like I need another elf, especially since I really only feel like Mage/Warlock and Rogue are the only suitable classes for the race all of which have slots taken.

Subraces are a thing that we have discussed time and time again on this forum over the years... and the only ones they actually got from years worth of desire (by others) were Dark Iron Dwarves, everything else is just a total out of left field asspull of epic proportions. I mean, shit, the Taunka actually joined the Horde in canon and quest, yet we get those the new ones with the same faces but different horns. Taunka aren't of course relevant but thats not my argument here. Broken the same, we get made up yellow eyed more perfect goody goody Draenei... which is even more extreme as the opposite of what people wanted. Highelves (ugh, again this is what others wanted) we get goth void loving complete embarrassment elves. I mean, we literally got two goth aesthetic elf factions...

All I know is after all the races we spent time getting close to on the Broken Isles the Alliance didn't get FUCKING VRYKUL... that to me is the true tragedy of how poorly executed and thought out this all ways.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 12-07-2017 at 05:46 AM..
Old 12-07-2017, 06:20 AM

Sentinel Queen

zandalari druid or chaman
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Yeah I feel largely the same. This is even more compounded by class makeups within the faction and slots already filled by other... you know established characters.

Subraces are a thing that we have discussed time and time again on this forum over the years... and the only ones they actually got from years worth of desire (by others) were Dark Iron Dwarves, everything else is just a total out of left field asspull of epic proportions. I mean, shit, the Taunka actually joined the Horde in canon and quest, yet we get those the new ones with the same faces but different horns. Taunka aren't of course relevant but thats not my argument here. Broken the same, we get made up yellow eyed more perfect goody goody Draenei... which is even more extreme as the opposite of what people wanted. Highelves (ugh, again this is what others wanted) we get goth void loving complete embarrassment elves. I mean, we literally got two goth aesthetic elf factions...
Yep, no mag'har, mok'nathal, broken, wildhammer dwarves, frost dwarves, furbolgs, forsaken elves, taunka, ogres, or vrykul. (Though thank the Light for no high elves.)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yep, no mag'har, mok'nathal, broken, wildhammer dwarves, frost dwarves, furbolgs, forsaken elves, taunka, ogres, or vrykul. (Though thank the Light for no high elves.)
Sincerely, was it really sensible to expect all these at once (because in the end, Blizzard hinted that many of these could become playable in the future)?

(Also, thank the Light for no vrykul as well. I did not mind the prospect of them being playable before, but now that we have the prospect of playable Kul Tiran/Tirassian "vrykulish" strongmen, a race that can be thematically and aesthetically summed up as generic giant vikings feels rather unnecessary.)
Old 12-07-2017, 01:01 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Sincerely, was it really sensible to expect all these at once (because in the end, Blizzard hinted that many of these could become playable in the future)?

(Also, thank the Light for no vrykul as well. I did not mind the prospect of them being playable before, but now that we have the prospect of playable Kul Tiran/Tirassian "vrykulish" strongmen, a race that can be thematically and aesthetically summed up as generic giant vikings feels rather unnecessary.)
Nah, just listing a number of the more common races floated for sub-races or new allied races.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Or lightforged draenei - what makes them unique other than being even more holy than their original race?
Give Broken or Lost One Draenei now.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:35 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Thinking on having these, a warrior and a rogue:

Slightly disappointed on the leather looks for Nightborne, though.

Wish I could make a rogue that looks as good as Arluin does

Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

A Zandalari monk would also be dope. Wielding that mogu staff, with the special brewmaster stance...

Now, I know you're gonna say that the Pandaren would never teach a Zandalari troll or mogu how to be a monk, but consider these tow options:
(a) The Zandalari took Pandaren captive and learned how to be monks from their enslaved enemies or
(b) the Pandaren are forgiving enough to teach even a Zandalari troll, if they show the required willingness to learn.

Considering how monks were introduced to all races, including those who already had monks not unlike the Pandaren monks, option b is more likely than option a, but neither is impossible.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

How does a Void Elf Warrior even make sense... "Hey guys, I spent my life learning about shadow magic you know... like a priest and then I became shadow and changed my mind about which class I was and forgot all I learned about magic"

Honestly the Monk thing is ridiculous for all of the races, even more so for these ones... but the Zandalari at least were part of that expansion.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 12-10-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Or lightforged draenei - what makes them unique other than being even more holy than their original race?
But that is what makes them different. They are infused with the Light, but at the same time, they seem to be be far more narrow-minded and zealous in their faith, and as such, far more fallible. In a way, they are to the classic Draenei what the original Scarlet Crusade was to Stormwind, only not manipulated by a Nathrezim demonlord.

Quote:
How does a Void Elf Warrior even make sense... "Hey guys, I spent my life learning about shadow magic you know... like a priest and then I became shadow and changed my mind about which class I was and forgot all I learned about magic"
It does not work this way. A fel orc warrior is not magically a warlock simply because his body has been infused with fel and the physiognomy has changed accordingly.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
#1 misconception - people thinking about themselves as classes

#2 misconception - only priests study shadow magic

#3 misconception - people lorewise are deadlocked into one ruleset and can't learn alternative rulesets, just like the playable characters

That argument is as good as that guy saying that the Vindicaar is, by canon lore, able to navigate from Azeroth to Argus so that adventurers of Azeroth can go there and collect mounts.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:

Honestly the Monk thing is ridiculous for all of the races, even more so for these ones... but the Zandalari at least were part of that expansion.
A void elf warrior may be a paladin who strayed too far into the void and lost his light powers so he just hits stuff hard now.
Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
A void elf warrior may be a paladin who strayed too far into the void and lost his light powers so he just hits stuff hard now.
That's one possibility. Or he is just a blood elf warrior who was exiled together with Umbric for politically supporting him/any other similar reason and got mutated (as in had his physiognomy changed) together with the rest of the Void Elves after that.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Arch-Druid

I have two possibilities: either I race change my worgen warrior into a void elf, or I race change my draenei mage into a void elf and make that my new main. Either way, I'll level up a void elf warlock.

I'll probably level up a lightforged priest, a dark iron shaman, a Highmountain hunter, a Nightborne mage, and a Zandalari druid.

Tags
subraces, world of warcraft