Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-03-2013, 03:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Default You are hired for the World Team of WoW. What do you do?

Imagine you are hired to lead a small team of developers with the mission of "continual renovation of old areas of World of Warcraft". Your job is, with minimum resources, to make constant small changes to the world.

Your team is so small you can't make more than a few changes each month.

You have no artists in your team, so you can't order any new art (no new models, music, textures, voice files and so on).

You can remove/add small questlines, add/remove NPCs, make small terrain alterations, add gossip text to NPCs and other small adaptations here and there.

You are not allowed to change/advance lore in bug ways, but you can make small local advancements so long as they don't require massive changes in the old world.

Rules:

- You can do cosmetic changes to terrain as long as they don't require new models/art.

- You can create new NPCs of any level and make small cosmetic changes to current NPCs.

- You can add/remove/change gossip text from NPCs.

- You can add/remove/revise/update quests, but you can't do big changes to whole storylines.

- You can make small use of phasing (a few NPCs or items appearing on one area), but nothing big.

- You can't advance storylines except in the slighest way, nor can you change lore. At most, you can update old storylines to reflect current lore, or put small hints of possible future developments.

- You are free to make changes to terrain/places that are not currently used (free space that already exists in maps and is not used for quests/storylines/events).

- You may add existing music to play in areas that normally wouldn't play them.

So, the question is: what would you do?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my list, in order of priority:

------------------ Improve Darnassus ------------------
- Add more inns

- In the Temple of the Moon, in the area with the mage traders, put Transmogrifier, Item Upgrade and related services (traders would be Highborne instead of Ethereals).

- Improve the Howling Oak into a whole Worgen district with gilnean buildings walled from the rest of Darnassus. Put barber shop, inn, bank, auction and vendors that trade Honor/Justice for goods (not Honor/Justice items).

------------------ Improve Undercity ------------------
- Improve the Lordaeron portion of the city, including inn, bank, auction house, general services and vendor that trade goods for Justice/Honor. Would make this part of the city more "cosmopolitan" with more NPCs of other races (mainly goblins and orcs), leaving the underground to the undead mostly.

- Add the ethereal services (Transmogrification, Item Upgrading and so on) to the Magic Quarter. Services are hosted by undead arcanists.

- Change the orcish guards (except those in Lordaeron city above) for Forsaken units.

- Remove the orc that is watching over Sylvanas, putting Nathanos Blightcaller in his place as her right hand man in the room.

------------------ Small Improvements around the world ------------------
- Increase Goldshire with a few more houses, making it look more into a village. Add new NPCs with gossip text that tell stories about Stormwind and its regions.

- Update Quel'danil, Quel'lithien and Farstriders Lodge to use high elven architecture. Add new high elf NPCs with gossip and general services/vendors. Put ambassadors of the Silver Covenant in Quel'Danil and Farstriders Lodge.

- Turn Forest Song (Ashenvale) into a small draenei/night elf town. Likewise, NPCs with gossip and general services/vendors.

- Improve Stonard with more services, like bank (make it more like Theramore in utility).

- Put a bank in Bilgewater Harbor.

- Put Galliwyx in his palace, add more NPCs, some of them with gossip, and a flight path to/from Bilgewater Harbor.

- Improve Feathermoon Stronghold, turning it into a minor city like Theramore was, with trainers, more vendors and bank (I feel like eventually Theramore will be gone permanently, thus making Feathermoon its substitute gameplay-wise).

- Add new Wildhammer houses (using Cataclysm style from Twilight highlands) around Aerie Peak. Introduce more Wildhammer and draenei (possibly high elf?) NPCs in these areas.

- Improve Hammerfall, changing the main house to an orc building (old wooden style) and putting orcish towers around the camp. Make other improvements so it does not look like an abandoned place. Give more services to Hammerfall, including bank and trainers.

- Restore parts of the Alliance-controlled area of Stromgarde, put workers on a few still-destroyed houses there indicating that the Stromgarde defense is slowly winning Stromgarde back. Put NPCs with gossip explaining the history of Stromgarde.

- Include embassadors and delegations from all races and nations of the Alliance (Silver Covenant, Dalaran, Stromgarde, Kul Tiras, Darnassus, Exodar, Gilneas, Gnomeregan, Shadowforge, Ironforge, Aerie Peak) in the Petitioner's Chamber (Stormwind Keep). Give those NPCs gossip explaining their nations and views of the Alliance.

------------------ Exploration and Activity for High Level Players ------------------
- Put plaques in important locations and towns, explaining events surrounding that location. Examples: Valley of Kings in Loch Modan, Grim Batol's gates, Anduin Lothar's statue, and so on. Create achievements for exploring the history of each culture: Stormwind, Quel'thalas, Khaz Modan and so on...

- High-level rares: constantly create high-level rares in the world which either are non-hostile or belong to Horde or Alliance and are located in Horde/Alliance bases. These rares give level appropriate special loot and function like the rares from Pandaria.

- "Hunting Areas": Improve available areas that can't be accessed by low-level players, populating them with elites that drop tokens. Tokens can be exchanged for cosmetic items, like transmog gear and maybe mounts (no new art for mounts, just unused ones, like [red and blue] Armored Ebon Gryphon, the two unused hyppogriph mounts [blue and purple], new types of mountain horses [using existing skins of wild horses], alternate ways of getting Argent Tournament racial mounts and so on)

Examples of such areas include: Dun Morogh's western mountains; Tirisfal's Whispering Forest; Stonetalon's western mountains; the mountains between Redridge and Burning Steppes. Some of these areas would need to be improved, but there's a lot of room for increasing them.

------------------ Edit: Added 12/03/2013 ------------------
Seek out Faction-affiliated mobs that are quest targets for the other faction, like Huntress Davinia, and add gossip text to them so you can talk to these mobs and learn about them, their objectives and personality.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 12-08-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: toffeeatoms#2825

Not enough Silvermoon/eversong/quel'danas/Exodar/isle

I love the ideas though, I think I would pay to be on this team.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:07 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Nyarsz#1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
------------------ Improve Undercity ------------------
- Improve the Lordaeron portion of the city, including inn, bank, auction house, general services and vendor that trade goods for Justice/Honor. Would make this part of the city more "cosmopolitan" with more NPCs of other races (mainly goblins and orcs), leaving the underground to the undead mostly.

- Add the ethereal services (Transmogrification, Item Upgrading and so on) to the Magic Quarter. Services are hosted by undead arcanists.

- Change the orcish guards (except those in Lordaeron city above) for Forsaken units.

- Remove the orc that is watching over Sylvanas, putting Nathanos Blightcaller in his place as her right hand man in the room.
This would be awesome, incredible, great, (insert many more approving comments here), but i think they won't do it for a reason: The labyrinthine areas o undercity (mainly everything underground) would be much emptier. People would stay up in the clearer zones, and for some reason the devs don't want any other city than Orgrimmar filled with people =/
Still, it would be great, and if it happened it would make me change my HS to Undercity.

Quote:
- Put a bank in Bilgewater Harbor.

- Put Galliwyx in his palace, add more NPCs, some of them with gossip, and a flight path to/from Bilgewater Harbor.
This one is good too. Make Bilgewater Harbor look more like a faction city and less like a quest zone. I guess theproblem is that it's too close to ORg and there is no warps there =(

Changes that i would make (following the parameters)...

- I would push for clickable books in game, showing snippets from the books available for reading irl, but posing maybe as gossip literature in game

- I would put flavor npcs, talking and explaining stuff. But most important, they would keep alive some of the rumors going around about seemingly forgotten storylines. Like Galliwix apearing randomly in goblin cities, interested in buying the town, or Thassarian, appearing randomly in Undercity, and dissapearing when a guard, npc or even you get closer to click on him.

- Other faction leaders appearing all of a sudden on the capital city, talking with Varian or Garrosh/Vol'Jin... you don't even need to put flavor text, just them talking and when you get closer, you get the "it's something official/private", but even with that, the emoticons they do kind of tell what the conversation is about o_o. Of course, in order to avoid problems, the other leader dissapears if a group appears trying their "for the horde/alliance" achievements :3

- More world bosses in the form of neutral faction leaders. I remember Tirion fighting in the Argent Vanguard, it was nice. Also, i know a lot of people didnt like him. As for the prize... just slap another achievement for neutral bosses of a certain flavor, and a nice mount. People will go there. Bosses would be more difficult, to compensate for the lack of people in their cities.

Last edited by Temo; 12-03-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I've always had an interesting idea for players to become double agents of the other faction and do daily quests to sabotage their own faction, which would do things like decrease the spawn rate of guards in a city to make raiding it easier, mess up the economy by reducing the amount of gold you get from selling items, increase vendor prices and the cut the Auction House takes, slow down the boats used to travel between continents, etc.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I've always had an interesting idea for players to become double agents of the other faction and do daily quests to sabotage their own faction, which would do things like decrease the spawn rate of guards in a city to make raiding it easier, mess up the economy by reducing the amount of gold you get from selling items, increase vendor prices and the cut the Auction House takes, slow down the boats used to travel between continents, etc.
This is amazing, I would love this idea.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:43 AM

Elune

I would ban all SoL user's accounts.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Even me?
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Elune

@Deicide: The texturing on the outside of the wildhammer buildings is made to match the zone they're in, so they'd need new textures to fit near aerie peak.

As for my takes...
General
  • Add high-level rares, Pandaria-style.
  • Figure out the exact difference between normal elementals, unbound elementals, revenant and bound elementals, and alter the in-game models of elementals so they'll be consistent.

Old lands
Azeroth
  • Add more officials to the keep in Stormwind City to represent the different nations in the alliance, neutral nations that the alliance is in good relation with and, for players above lvl 90, a horde ambassador.
  • Like you said, expand Goldshire into more of an actual village. I'd add a noble (count seems appropriate) to the town as well. In fact, nobles for everybody!
  • Remove the random bandits from Stone Cairn Isle (the one with the first war memorial), and turn it into a small village. Add some quests dealing with local gnolls and murlocs, cutting the outdated ones near the bridge.
  • Retake that farm in the east, add some working farmers to the others.
  • Generally speaking, add some more guards to the various strongholds, maybe some representation from the various guilds in Stormwind to show the nation is under better management.
Khaz Modan
  • Not too much I would change really. Add some dark iron golems to various places to serve as guards, mostly.
Lordaeron
  • Do some rebuilding, possibly some retaking of Stromgarde
  • Expand on refugee point with some more buildings.
  • Do a level 90+ dalaran-style phase for the forsaken camp in arathi highlands, removing it (but with a bronze dragon to bring it back for wannabe loremasters). Same phase also adds some guards to Thoradin's wall. Similar thing could be done for Hinterlands.
  • Fortify hammerfell with some more orcish architecture, add alliance representative after 90.
  • Figure out what the dropped cata questline was, see if it was a good idea and if we can still implement some of it.
  • Expand Revantusk village big time. Maybe add phasing for the questline, adding the loa from the nearby forest trolls as you ally with them.
Northern Kalimdor
  • Figure out which natural allies are allied to whom, and give them some representation in Darnassus, Moonglade or the circle of the ancients respectively. Keep in mind that a species of natural allies can consist of multiple groups, allied with different factions.
  • If possibly, bases for druid orders other than the druids of the talon
  • Expand Forest Song into an actual town, using some WoD draenei architecture.
  • Give the new wardens and the highborne some actual buildings.
Central Kalimdor
  • Tie the new kor'kron bases added to the barrens in 5.3 into the low-level questing, adding some quests where you help them out and have soldiers from the bases appear in some other quests. Phase the dark shaman (see pandaria section)
  • Expand the Den into an actual village
  • Phase the naga attackers at the echo isles, add a flight point and some more buildings with civilians around the edges of the isle.
  • Figure out the planned cata questline for Dustwallow, what parts of it were good ideas and what parts can still be integrated.

TBC lands
  • Add some additional buildings outside of Shattrath's outer ring to show the city is not the least defensible place ever.
  • Color-code the armor and clothing of the various draenei shrines, have them establish that the temples served different roles in the past (like auchenai is the temple-city of death, Telredor could be the temple of the tranquil waters, Orebor the temple of the wild ocean, etc.). Basically, add some damn variety to the draenei.
  • Half-tempted to remove the trolls from zangarmarsh and have them replaced with a goblin trading expedition, because the current horde questing in the zone really makes no goddamn sense.

WotLK lands
  • Very, very little. Maybe replace the North Wind in that one horde quest in Storm Peaks with Nezir's model? Update the Zandalari in Zul'drak to the new model, of course. I think that was kinda it.

Cata Lands
  • Add some more night elf style buildings near the peak of mount hyjal, add more NPCs and buildings to the various shrines so they won't look hilariously empty and undefended anymore, add some more random mountain giants, green drakes, ancients and faerie drakes to various areas and battles, cause they seem really un(der)represented now.
  • Rewrite the Uldum quests so that, at the very least, the purpose of the obelisks stays consistent.
  • Have someone at blizzard give me an explanation of what exactly the twilight's hammer are doing to mess up the twilight highlands, and then put that in the quests.

MoP Lands
  • Here's the big one: Streamlining the panda-land story for replayability. Start out with a healed vale again, and give players at 90 the ability to choose to play through the story linearly. Maybe make some tweaks in the weirder earlier parts. Basic plan:
    • Phase 0 (default state): Vale is in its original state. Taran Zhu is removed from the opening of the gate (since his presence there makes no sense in the timeline at all). Shrines in the vale only have NPCs that would make sense there (so pandaria races, members of the original expeditions, members of the krasarang expeditions). The storyline quest to unlock the next phase requires the player to reach exalted with shado-pan, klaxxi, august celestials and revered with golden lotus (all of whom have their reputation gains boosted significantly. Maybe even with the dailies turned into regular quests. Maybe add some quests that require you to do a relevant scenario.)
    • Phase 1 (5.1 and 5.2 equivalent): horde and alliance forces arrive in Krasarang, with the relevant bases popping up as the player progresses through the questline, and big blossom dig and new shrine NPCs added to the vale. Rep gains are again significantly boosted, hopefully enough to turn dailies into regular quests. After the purge of Dalaran, the Isle of Thunder becomes available. Next phase becomes available after completing both the Isle of Thunder and Divine Bell questlines, which have the relevant scenarios tied in.
    • Phase 2 (5.3 equivalent): Basically, exactly like 5.3 was in the game, with a short questline to set up events for 5.4.
    • Phase 3 (5.4 equivalent): Destroys the vale, kills the golden lotus, adds all the sha, gives everyone the heebie-jeebies.
  • I may have to flowchart this.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And here I thought we had something special
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Demon Hunter

I'd like to slowly move through the zones doing what can be done to make them as up-to-date as possible. Focus on the ones with the most glaringly obvious unfinished areas, but hopefully get as many done as I can before I get the inevitable sack. It'd be nice to add some flavour interactions around the place, like a religious ceremony going on at the Temple of the Moon or Church of Light or whatever. Fair warning, there'll be some subtle bias lurking within these ideas that may blindside you if you aren't looking out for it.

Westfall:
- Have the farms repaired and resettled, with peasants toiling the fields.
- Show guards patrolling up and down the roads.
- Sentinel Hill is no longer burning. Have it fixed up and bustling with trade.
- Do the same for Moonbrook, maybe have a small prison section with a bunch of Defias in stockades.
- Put an Old Blanchy grave somewhere. Give an achievement for paying respects to it.

Ashenvale:
- Phase the victories in, phase the supposed Horde withdrawal from the zone following the SoO. For extra points have Zoram'Gar and Splintertree and whatever other Horde bases still standing overgrown and all but reclaimed by the wilds.
- Have towns like Astranaar and Forest Song repaired, and fairly populated.
- Have NPCs praying/journeying to the religious landmarks, like the Aessina shrine.
- Have those furbolgs that may have been cleansed, cleansed, and as friendly to the night elves as the uncorrupted ones of WC3.

Duskwood:
- Have western Duskwood largely settled by Gilnean humans and worgen.
- Have their harvest witches assisting in the farming.
- Turn Raven Hill into an actual town.
- Have a Silver Hand church somewhere. The place is just dying for one.
- Have eastern Duskwood settled by Stormwind humans.
- All those zombies and worgen surrounding all the mines and graveyards and chapels and everything else of significance? Move 'em along.

Darkshore:
- Remove the giant vortex, or at least diminish its size.
- Expand the Grove of the Ancients and Lor'Danel.
- Establish a graveyard somewhere containing those Auberdine NPCs that are currently lying on the beach somewhere.
- Have some Wardens under that whirlpool where the demon hunter was, making it a base of sorts.
- Update Shatterspear village to contain burnt-down husks in place of the buildings, and strew some corpse-explosion body remnants around the place. Night elf justice bitches.
- Have more people from the Explorer's League at the now-safe Master's Glaive.

Gilneas:
- Ignore the UVG.
- Have it largely abandoned, but with key areas (the city, the manor, Keel Harbour, the Wall, etc) manned by some weathered GLF veterens.
- Give the impression they've been holding on, awaiting a return from Genn and reinforcements, and that it's not been easy for any of them.

They're not necessairly the ones I'd do first, just those I want to do more than the rest. All capital cities should be as functional as any other, and I'd like to see more NPCs going about their daily activities and interacting with each other.
The gnome, for example, could be impressed by the technology of a conqueror, the goblin by his riches, the elf by his respect for the arcane, the draenei by his moral integrity, the tauren by his calm authoritative bearing. But the orc, who is impressed by none of these things, must always be struck to the dust, and struck down again as he rises, and struck again as he lies groaning. While his wounds still pain him he will respect the hand that dealt them.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by belorealah View Post
This is amazing, I would love this idea.
The idea actually originated when I had this crazy idea about doing a half fanfic/half game design for an expansion centered around a violent revolution among the Alliance and Horde, and basically a kind of bastardized "third faction" for player characters in the form of rebels.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
The idea actually originated when I had this crazy idea about doing a half fanfic/half game design for an expansion centered around a violent revolution among the Alliance and Horde, and basically a kind of bastardized "third faction" for player characters in the form of rebels.
Oh god, third faction. Yes! Do want!

I like the idea of a group of alliance, and a group of horde going "F*** this lets sort this out"

And messing up the horde and alliance until a full ceasefire.

Also want elves neutral to either side

Old 12-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Eternal

Darnassus needs a total revamp. I would rebuild it entirely out of stone, in classical Night Elven architecture, and give it real buildings and houses, rather than the crappy things that are there now. It is really sad that Dire Maul looks more like a city than Darnassus.

I'd move Feathermoon Stronghold back to where it belongs on the Isle. I don't understand how a few measly Naga managed to destroy the might of Shandris's army. No way. The island should become developed into a large city-like landscape with wooden Kaldorei architechure, a large garrison and a Night Elven lighthouse. It would serve as the main port in Kalimdor following the destruction of Theramore, and would provide a boat service to the Feralas mainland, to Menethil Harbour (replace the present Theramore service), and to Darnassus itself (or a rebuilt Auberdine, which I prefer).
Old 12-03-2013, 11:49 AM

The Digger

I'd slowly and steadily remove NPCs from Stormwind every few days or weeks. I'd start off small of course, with seldom-used vendors and out of the way flavor characters before moving up to more prominent characters like auctioneers. After a year all that would remain of the once-bustling city would be the wind howling over the canals and Topper McNabb dazedly tottering down the streets, raving to any players so foolish as to enter the cursed locale.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
That is a cool idea. I'm not as keen on the third faction concept, but some double-agents would be nice.

As for me, I'd probably just add some more cultural details to the milieu. Little things you can find if you look for them. It'll be fun for me and the .2% of other players who are fascinated by things like the history of opera in the Seven Kingdoms.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 12-03-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 12-03-2013, 12:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

If it's just small things I guess I wouldn't be able do much in Arathi.

Elwynn:

I'd make Goldshire a bigger town. A couple more houses and a town hall building.

Westfall:

After the zone finishes I'd a another phase to show Sentinel Hill under the control of the Alliance again.

I'd move the Alliance troops in to the town hall which would be refurbished.

Redridge:

After the attack on Stonewatch, Stromwind's forces would move into the castle and begin repairs. If it was given a phase of completed construction it would use WoD's new architecture. There would be some flavor text about Varian's plans to build a city around the keep, and there's be peasants working on chopping down the trees in the area.

Wetlands:

Menethil would be abandoned and everyone would flee to a newly constructed Dwarven fort(like Dun Garak or Bael Modan).
Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Arch-Druid

I would leave everything the same and just enjoy my paycheck.

But if I wanna put some effort, I had this idea of making some (most) NPCs have a backstory. Blacksmith X was a war vet, that Hunter trainer is one weirdo, over here we have Mike, he had some drinking problems, but capable of more etc. Truly useless, but here we go.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodedMan View Post
I would leave everything the same and just enjoy my paycheck.

But if I wanna put some effort, I had this idea of making some (most) NPCs have a backstory. Blacksmith X was a war vet, that Hunter trainer is one weirdo, over here we have Mike, he had some drinking problems, but capable of more etc. Truly useless, but here we go.
They had a little bit of this in Vanilla, when at least some of the vendors would engage in some opening conversation. Sadly, they jettisoned it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 12-03-2013, 12:51 PM

World Builder

Runes

1. More NPCs out in the world just living life and doing things, occasionally they're attacked or approached by hostile mobs or npcs of other varieties and the interactions are visible. Sorta like GW2 events

2. More Mobs of enemies that fight each other, like Naga attacking a Kvaldir base or vice versa.

3. A few shrines on the Echo Isles where offerings are made to the Loa, maybe a few Quillboar are sacrificed on the Altar of Bwomsamdi

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
They had a little bit of this in Vanilla, when at least some of the vendors would engage in some opening conversation. Sadly, they jettisoned it.
I also like the NPC titles. You can imagine some nice background with that. Also I would re-use a lot of chars. Need a shaman to do some small task in new area, grab a trainer from Orgrimmar or TCG. etc
Old 12-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Problemsolver

I would hide penises everywhere.

My first thing to do would be to drain Thousand Needles, and turn it into penis valley. Then change the spires of Dalaran and give the city a skyline of towering penises.

People gon' be like. "Woah, bro, I never thought of Teldrassil in that way. That's one thick tree."
Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 PM

Arch-Druid

A lot of awesome ideas, but I fear some of the ideas thrown around would require more than this ficticial small team would be able to do. A lot of phasing or rebuilding could mess up storylines big times. I was pretty conservative with my changes (what I really want to do to Alterac, Gilneas and Stromgarde would be a epic storyline, but far beyond the team's abilities).

Instead I focused mostly on improving scenery and making better use of empty areas. I also tried very hard to not mess with storylines, since rebuilding an entire zone's storyline would be too much for this team at first.

But keep throwing ideas!

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Give the Human starting zones more visually impressive architecture. Erthad covered it well, but I want the Eastvale Logging Camp, Moonbrook, and Darkshire to look a lot better.

Duskwood, Western Plaguelands, Swamp of Sorrows, and Blasted Lands would also have a lot more Gilnean architecture.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
A lot of awesome ideas, but I fear some of the ideas thrown around would require more than this ficticial small team would be able to do. A lot of phasing or rebuilding could mess up storylines big times. I was pretty conservative with my changes (what I really want to do to Alterac, Gilneas and Stromgarde would be a epic storyline, but far beyond the team's abilities).

Instead I focused mostly on improving scenery and making better use of empty areas. I also tried very hard to not mess with storylines, since rebuilding an entire zone's storyline would be too much for this team at first.

But keep throwing ideas!
Exactly. Having more limitations (in terms of personnel, budget, or influence) could actually allow for better results. Such a team would be unable to enact sweeping and epic changes (which would likely run into many of the same problems that such changes normally engender) and instead focus on small details that enrich the setting.

Rather than altering the storyline, one could simply add lore items or NPCs who offer commentary (much as Blizzard did in MoP). Some accounts could even be contradictory. For scenery, a small area that is visually striking but serves no readily apparent purpose (such as the waterfall with the Dark Portal statue in western Duskwoodthough that might have a graveyard) can do wonders for atmosphere.

Little details matter!

Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Westfall is removed. Eastfall is implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed

Tags
crushed dreams, fanwank, hhh, jjj