Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Orc Icon (War3) Of Orcs and Giants - An Orc Thread

Orcs are kinda cool too, and they'll get a lot of archeology/pre-corruption love in WoD, so I figured that they deserved their own thread too. I mean, just look at her:

That's Dwarf-level awesomeness, isn't it? Besides, they're the descendants of japanese demons, how cool is that?

(I'm mostly bored and want to see what people have to say about orcs, besides the usual "They've always been murderers. Let's kill them!")

Last edited by Nazja; 03-18-2018 at 10:30 AM..
Old 04-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
descendants of japanese demons
Wat?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Eternal

Orcs were the race that got me into warcraft to begin with, since coming off of being a lord of the rings fan, seeing how wow had in it orcs who weren't just playable, but also had a great backstory and, at that current time, were honorable and fierce.

Seems like a lifetime ago now, seeing how much the orcs story has been shit all over and further more shit to spray over it in times to come. Kind of feels like I shouldn't have left the lord of the rings franchise.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Wat?
Ogres. They kinda look like Oni, don't they?

Humans are the western giants. Orcs are the asian giants.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:24 AM

Eternal

Ogres and oni are not the same thing, its a huge cultural difference.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Ogres. They kinda look like Oni, don't they?

Humans are the western giants. Orcs are the asian giants.
Not particularly.

They just seem to descend from Cyclopses.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Eternal

Ogres have Italian decent in literature.

Oni is a generalized Japanese term used to describe a variety of mythical creatures.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 AM

You shouldn't over analyze that statement.

I mostly said it because of the orcish Blademasters and because ogres (or actually mostly Gronn) kinda resemble the ogre-like Oni.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
You shouldn't over analyze that statement.

I mostly said it because of the orcish Blademasters and because ogres (or actually mostly Gronn) kinda resemble the ogre-like Oni.
Don't tell us what can't be overanalyzed!

We're going to derail this shit so hard, you won't even know that there was ever a track to begin with.

But on a more serious note...

Yeah. Orcs are cool. Hope we see more of them.

Palemoon village in Shadowmoon looks like it'll be a proper quest hub or something, so maybe there will be friendly Orc Clans or Clan splinters in every zone?
Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Eternal

I'm just extremely dissatisfied with everything blizzard has done with the orcs in the last 4-5 years. Pretty much now a vilified race.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Elune

I know I said it a million times by now but if only Orcs went back to being like the Mongol hordes.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Welp.

My thoughts on what the Orcs need is a Thrall who has dislodged his head from his ass and realized that his name is Thrall and that this name once held real meaning for him.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:32 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I know I said it a million times by now but if only Orcs went back to being like the Mongol hordes.
I've heard this a lot when people ask what the real-world inspiration for the Orcs are, but personally I think it's equal parts Mongols and ancient Germanic warrior societies. In essence trade the Mongols horses for axes and change their focus from conquest to survival.

Atleast in Warcraft III that was the case, sure they're all about conquest now but they are also highly industrialised so it's less 'Might of the Golden Horde' and more 'Do you have a flag?' .

Which reminds me, we've yet to see a good Greco-Roman analogy in Warcraft. The Highborne have shades of it but nothing really hits that theme as hard as the Tauren do with Native Americans or Pandarens with the far-east.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 AM

Eternal

I find them germanic warrior tribes, african tribes, and mongols.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post

How would that be an improvement over what they are now? They'd still murder, rape and kill (Mongels did that) everything they wanted to because they could/felt like it. Would they have more honor? I'm sure that would make the people they slaughtered feel much better... And it would make the Alliance look even more like fucking morons for not wiping the orcs out again when they go on the warpath. Again. Tauren Paly has it right. The orcs are a vilified race and pretty much deserve it by their actions in game and in the lore. It would take a damned big retcon and one hell of a hit of the Idiot Bat to the rest of the Horde races and the Alliance for them to trust or like the orcs after the crap they have pulled.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 AM

Eternal

I think the development of an industrial orchish Horde is awesome.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Unfortunately, Blizzard gave such development to another Horde

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:49 AM

It would be neat if learned more about Ghost Wolf, like his real orcish name, and the other orcish Loa, if there are any, in WoD.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:59 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I'm going to continue dislike industrialisation in WoW until we get at least one more good pitched battle, just one. That's all I ask Blizzard, let me play the Warcraft III intro cinematic and I'll be happy.

Old Alterac Valley and the AQ event were great steps in the right direction, where the players got to feel like Homeric heroes who fought alongside but were always on a higher level to the average soldier. Recently though Blizzard has been using player characters as more of a tactical strike force to eliminate targets before the joe-schmo soldiers come in and clean up.

Quote:
It would be neat if learned more about Ghost Wolf, like his real orcish name, and the other orcish Loa, if there are any, in WoD.
It would be awesome to see more Orc mythology and spirituality. There's potential for Mag'har culture to add a new flavour to the Orcs and keep them interesting, though Blizzard tends to shy away from anything religious nowadays.

With Lo'gosh in particular I've always had this drawing in mind of him, fel-scarred and feral looking snarling at the gleaming, silver-coated Goldrinn like there's about to be a scrap over who's top dog. If only I could draw at a pace slightly faster that a stoned snail...
Old 04-26-2014, 12:17 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Palemoon village in Shadowmoon looks like it'll be a proper quest hub or something, so maybe there will be friendly Orc Clans or Clan splinters in every zone?
That would be pretty great actually!

I like how archeology is giving more info on the orcish clans.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more. Anzu's probably among their number too. And wasn't there mention of a boar spirit at some point in BC? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So is it safe to say that the Iron Horde (in either timeline) represents the strongest/ main Orc clans on Draenor? Are the others small clans and splinter groups?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So is it safe to say that the Iron Horde (in either timeline) represents the strongest/ main Orc clans on Draenor? Are the others small clans and splinter groups?
Probably.

Either that or they're Clans the Iron Horde founders didn't like or thought were weak.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Karma houdinis.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:59 PM

What are the odds that we'll see Ettin in WoD?

Tags
appreciation, zug zug