Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I'm fine. Had some juice and went back to sleep.

I've been getting a lot of low blood sugar for the past few weeks, without any major changes to my lifestyle habits. I will lower my insulin pump's basal rate a bit. My next endocrinologist appointment is in June.
Call your PCP ASAP. It may be the pump (malfunction), it may be a change in your organ function, it may be resistance, or god knows what else, but if you have that severe a drop then it's not something you can wait a couple weeks on. Next time you may be seizing when you wake, and without someone in the same room to help you won't have a way out.

Also, do you keep a diary of your blood sugar levels? If not, start now.
Quote:
Sure, but if I'm looking at your resume (with said gap) and one that has no gap but is otherwise identical, the latter will look more appealing. They've been working more consistently, and are more likely to be up-to-date on any changes in the industry. Given that I'm investing my money into this, it's a clear choice.

But I've been on both sides of the employee/employer divide. I certainly couldn't blame anyone for fucking off once they had enough money (especially if you work in a job as soul-corroding as my old industry, which was Internet marketing). Just figure out an excuse as to why you were gone for so long
The big thing about working is that it's not just about showing you aren't lazy, but that you retain and improve on certain skill sets. Without showing a consistent trendline of "worth", you end up being set back over and over into positions that you technically surpassed previously.

This isn't just for technical fields either, a person flipping burgers or acting as a barista should be aware of new restaurant regulations, technologies, and systems so that they can jump the line to assistant manager or above if they have a certain number of years under their belt.

Not to say six months to a year off is going to kill you, but that it needs to be spent showing an equal pursuit of another viable opportunity. This is doubly so in the modern age, because good jobs that provide the best retirement options are only available to people who show a ton of drive. And really, that's what it's all about. Technically I could sit on my ass for the next three years without any problems financially, but in 60 years, I'll be completely fucked.

The Mad Admin
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Call your PCP ASAP. It may be the pump (malfunction), it may be a change in your organ function, it may be resistance, or god knows what else, but if you have that severe a drop then it's not something you can wait a couple weeks on. Next time you may be seizing when you wake, and without someone in the same room to help you won't have a way out.

Also, do you keep a diary of your blood sugar levels? If not, start now.

The big thing about working is that it's not just about showing you aren't lazy, but that you retain and improve on certain skill sets. Without showing a consistent trendline of "worth", you end up being set back over and over into positions that you technically surpassed previously.

This isn't just for technical fields either, a person flipping burgers or acting as a barista should be aware of new restaurant regulations, technologies, and systems so that they can jump the line to assistant manager or above if they have a certain number of years under their belt.

Not to say six months to a year off is going to kill you, but that it needs to be spent showing an equal pursuit of another viable opportunity. This is doubly so in the modern age, because good jobs that provide the best retirement options are only available to people who show a ton of drive. And really, that's what it's all about. Technically I could sit on my ass for the next three years without any problems financially, but in 60 years, I'll be completely fucked.
I woke up into a seizure back in high school. Not a pleasant memory. My blood sugar has always been pretty variable. One problem might have also been bounce back; though it's been trending low, my blood sugar had also gotten very high earlier that evening (due to an improperly connected infusion set, which I promptly fixed). Plan to give my endo a call in a bit.

Regarding the second point, one very good thing to do if you have enough money is to start buying rental properties. Secondary income from rental can add up. Some people prefer investment, but I find real estate preferable for the following reason: with stocks, you need to know when to sell and when to buy. With real estate, you just buy and charge rent.

This is one reason why it's probably a good idea to live with your parents into your twenties assuming you have a good relationship with them. You can save a lot of money if you don't have to pay rent or only pay low rent. Not everyone can do this, obviously, but if you can, go for it. Fuck the judgers.

Granted, it can still be expensive to maintain such properties.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 05-26-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Old 05-26-2017, 11:03 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

If you have the income/local economy, doing the landlord thing isn't a bad idea. Need a lawyer for the contract work though (I've got a friend who did it and screwed himself over on what constitutes "property upkeep.").

Personally, I stick to index funds. Absent another Great Recession (which is still very much a possibility), they're great for long-term investment. So long as the whole sector/market doesn't permanently crash (e.g. technologies becoming obsolete), the overwhelming average will always be in your favor.

The Mad Admin
Old 05-26-2017, 11:29 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I didn't really do much "work" after college for up to a year. Thank god my mother owns two companies and basically made up a position for me and said I worked for her (not that I collected a paycheck for not working) so I didn't have a gap in my resume.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Elune

Quote:
If you have the income/local economy, doing the landlord thing isn't a bad idea. Need a lawyer for the contract work though (I've got a friend who did it and screwed himself over on what constitutes "property upkeep.").

Personally, I stick to index funds. Absent another Great Recession (which is still very much a possibility), they're great for long-term investment. So long as the whole sector/market doesn't permanently crash (e.g. technologies becoming obsolete), the overwhelming average will always be in your favor.
Index funds are good. One way to approach them is to have them based around recession-proof industries such as consumer staples and medicine. They don't make a whole lot of money, but they don't lose it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I didn't really do much "work" after college for up to a year. Thank god my mother owns two companies and basically made up a position for me and said I worked for her (not that I collected a paycheck for not working) so I didn't have a gap in my resume.
I worked at my dad's company during my last year in college and my first year out of it. I was only fired from one job, and I used my dad's company (the one I now run), as a cover for the three-month employment gap.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 05-26-2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 05-26-2017, 04:28 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

I have two huge several year gaps in mine thanks to medical issues that would probably get me instantly looked over at any white collar place of status, but that's fine with me. I've no interest in working in nearly all places like that and I'm no danger of losing my job and while I don't love it it's not near soul-corroding enough to quit.

A great benefit of being a local government employee is that there's virtually no fear of being replaced by automation or your employer going out of business anytime soon. You also have to be completely fucking useless or get convicted of a felony in order get fired too. Good advancement opportunities as well. I know guys who went from entry level at one department to mid-level at another in like 2-3 years.

Last edited by Yorenec; 05-26-2017 at 04:34 PM..
Old 05-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorenec View Post
I have two huge several year gaps in mine thanks to medical issues that would probably get me instantly looked over at any white collar place of status, but that's fine with me. I've no interest in working in nearly all places like that and I'm no danger of losing my job anytime soon.

A great benefit of being a local government employee is that there's virtually no fear of being replaced by automation or your employer going out of business anytime soon. You also have to be completely fucking useless or get convicted of a felony in order get fired too. Good advancement opportunities as well. I know guys who went from entry level at one department to mid-level at another in like 2-3 years.
There are a lot of benefits in the public sector.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Quote:
The pay is easily the worst part. Most public employees make jack, even a lot of the ones in degree-required positions. Just last week I was talking to someone in another department who was saying that he'd make nearly 25% more doing what he does at a private business.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:57 PM

Elune

Quote:
Deployments, long work hours, and a lot of moving?
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I just had the saltiest lunch I've ever tasted in my life. I legitimately felt sick after eating steak that was rubbed with seasoning salt (a rather generous amount, too), fries that had double the amount of salt on it (taking a napkin to it still made it taste like a block of sodium), and so much salt on my husband's baked potato that it was falling off when I picked off a piece. Even my two-year-old didn't want to eat his fries, and those are usually the first things he goes for.

I don't know how my husband managed to palate that stuff, but I think I'm going to make it a rule that if he wants steak, he can just grill his own.
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I just had the saltiest lunch I've ever tasted in my life. I legitimately felt sick after eating steak that was rubbed with seasoning salt (a rather generous amount, too), fries that had double the amount of salt on it (taking a napkin to it still made it taste like a block of sodium), and so much salt on my husband's baked potato that it was falling off when I picked off a piece. Even my two-year-old didn't want to eat his fries, and those are usually the first things he goes for.

I don't know how my husband managed to palate that stuff, but I think I'm going to make it a rule that if he wants steak, he can just grill his own.
I feel like there's a dear hunting joke here.

Went to Pequod's last night. Good crust for deep dish, but everything else was mediocre. Not worth the wait or price. Labriola's (while pricey) is way better.

On the other hand, Mad Social for brunch today was fucking spectacular.

Best (churro) chicken and waffles I've ever had (my sister agreed, and she's hunted for years).

Even better was their Shortrib Brisket (yes, I've eaten Texas Brisket, this does compete). It's like a deconstructred/reconstructed cornbeef hash, only exponentially better.

The Mad Admin
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

And now I'm sick.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
And now I'm sick.
Water...lots of water. Plain, normal, every day H2O.

Good luck.

The Mad Admin
Old Today, 08:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Water...lots of water. Plain, normal, every day H2O.

Good luck.
I was dehydrating last night and I still feel a little queasy. Luckily, it's hard to get salt poisoning unless you intentionally try to do it.

Tags
realspace, spam thread 3.1