Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-09-2016, 02:28 AM

Druid of the Talon

Default Movieverse: Bonds of Brotherhood

Just read the graphic novel. Short review + lore notes:

Pretty abyssal. Lots of take-it-or-leave-it Whedon-y quip dialogue, and awful, awful 90s art. Characters are indistinguishable from each other because they all have the same jawline and 90s front mullets. The story basically just foreshadows some things in the movie, and extrapolates upon the troll raid scene from the movie which ended on the cutting room floor. All the trolls are fucking identical. The whole thing feels like it was written by someone with no experience with the game. At one point someone says something like 'Do these trolls speak Zandalari or Drakkari?' That seems like a dumb thing to say if you're a lore nerd. The trolls themselves speak like cavement (Human meat, me eat now!) So yeah, I really think this guy is a fraud. It says story by Metzen in the front, but writing by Paul Cornell (whose run on Superman I absolutely loved).

Lore notes:

- Medivh is a young man who has just left Dalaran to take his place in the Guardian tower. Seems like in this world, Kharazan is an offical Guardian residence, and not Aegwynn's secluded anti-Guardian hideaway. Naturally they aren't called Guardian of Tirisfal.
- Medivh encounters fel for the first time being used by... ugh... wait for it... a random Gurubashi troll warlord. It makes him immune to arcane magic and grow massive when he sucks the life out of his fellow trolls. No explanation given. At this point, because it was written so poorly, I honestly couldn't tell if he had heard of fel before or not. He says something like 'What did you call it... I have some knowledge of...' Then gets cut off. He acts like he doesn't know anything about fel for the rest of the novel.
- Medivh finds notes on Fel in Karazhan library by a former guardian called Quelen. He studies it and becomes convinced he can control it.
- Moroes has served many guardians. I don't know if this makes him immortal. Medivh seems surprised by that, but it could just be that he is surprised that Moroes has served so many guardians. So the verdict is out on whether guardians are immortal as in WoW, and if Moroes is also immortal.
- Llane, Medivh and Lothar basically sneak away to kill a troll warlord as revenge for some raids. The troll warlord's son manages to raise a massive troll army in revenge.
At the climactic battle, Medivh uses fell to kill all of the trolls. It is implied that this is where he becomes possessed, or at least, something changes him. Maybe. Again, can't tell if he is already possessed from his youth.
- Trolls used to live in southern Azeroth, but were pushed into Stranglethorn Llane's father. Stranglethorn in not tropical.
- Llane's father dies in the troll battle, Lothar's wife dies in labour, and Llane and Taria (Lothar's sister) get married, all in anticipation of the film.
- There is a scene where all of the women and children get on boats ready to leave for the northern human kingdoms if Stormwind falls. Foreshadowing?

Yeah so... not great. The best thing about it is that there is movie concept art for the trolls in the back of the book. They look absolutely stunning. Will try to upload a photo if I can.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:33 AM

Elune

Ugh, making books for the movieverse seems like such a giant rip off to me. It made some sense when I suspected the movies will become the new canon but the lore differences between the two settings are vast at this point.

Though they still might make the movies canon because who gives a crap about the lore.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:53 AM

Arch-Druid

From Story forums

Llane Father was perfectly find with the Trolls eating his subject because he KNEW Stormwind could not defeat the Trolls. As long as they don't eat too many of his subjects, they can die for all he care. He called it a form of appeasement.

Llane father died in a pretty stupid way. He decided to go out to delay the Trolls from breaching the Harbor. Also Adamant had two pretty blonde royal guard that was killed in his stupid charge. His contingent was also wiped out.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Ugh, making books for the movieverse seems like such a giant rip off to me. It made some sense when I suspected the movies will become the new canon but the lore differences between the two settings are vast at this point.

Though they still might make the movies canon because who gives a crap about the lore.
Hmm? Why would it make more sense if it was the same continuity? Why cover something already covered? It actually makes more sense to me this way; two continuities, each with its own books, comics etc.

Oh, and this most certainly will not become the game universe canon. Chronicle saw to that. They kept the coma, Guardians of Tirisfal etc. Why would they, if they were planning to make the movies the game canon instead of its own canon?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, I hope the basis of this idea of the "southern troll war" makes it into the game universe. Chronicle Volume I seriously lacked any conflict between Stormwind and the Gurubashi.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:07 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimo View Post
At one point someone says something like 'Do these trolls speak Zandalari or Drakkari?' That seems like a dumb thing to say if you're a lore nerd. The trolls themselves speak like cavement (Human meat, me eat now!)
I imagine they speak like cavemen in Common, because they have very bare knowledge of the language?

Quote:
- Medivh is a young man who has just left Dalaran to take his place in the Guardian tower. Seems like in this world, Kharazan is an offical Guardian residence, and not Aegwynn's secluded anti-Guardian hideaway. Naturally they aren't called Guardian of Tirisfal.
- Medivh encounters fel for the first time being used by... ugh... wait for it... a random Gurubashi troll warlord. It makes him immune to arcane magic and grow massive when he sucks the life out of his fellow trolls. No explanation given. At this point, because it was written so poorly, I honestly couldn't tell if he had heard of fel before or not. He says something like 'What did you call it... I have some knowledge of...' Then gets cut off. He acts like he doesn't know anything about fel for the rest of the novel.
- Medivh finds notes on Fel in Karazhan library by a former guardian called Quelen. He studies it and becomes convinced he can control it.
- Moroes has served many guardians. I don't know if this makes him immortal. Medivh seems surprised by that, but it could just be that he is surprised that Moroes has served so many guardians. So the verdict is out on whether guardians are immortal as in WoW, and if Moroes is also immortal.
- Llane, Medivh and Lothar basically sneak away to kill a troll warlord as revenge for some raids. The troll warlord's son manages to raise a massive troll army in revenge.
At the climactic battle, Medivh uses fell to kill all of the trolls. It is implied that this is where he becomes possessed, or at least, something changes him. Maybe. Again, can't tell if he is already possessed from his youth.
- Trolls used to live in southern Azeroth, but were pushed into Stranglethorn Llane's father. Stranglethorn in not tropical.
Eh, doesn't sound so bad compared to WoW lore.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:06 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
I imagine they speak like cavemen in Common, because they have very bare knowledge of the language?

Eh, doesn't sound so bad compared to WoW lore.
Nope, they speak in brackets signifying they're speaking Zandali.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:08 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:

I'm more disappointed that the movie verse was a good opportunity to create a more streamlined, less-rectcon'd version of the lore that sort of didn't bring the baggage of 20 years of evolving lore, like Ultimate Marvel comics when they first came out. But, it's proving to simply be a pale version of the actual lore.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:11 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Hmm? Why would it make more sense if it was the same continuity? Why cover something already covered? It actually makes more sense to me this way; two continuities, each with its own books, comics etc.

Oh, and this most certainly will not become the game universe canon. Chronicle saw to that. They kept the coma, Guardians of Tirisfal etc. Why would they, if they were planning to make the movies the game canon instead of its own canon?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevertheless, I hope the basis of this idea of the "southern troll war" makes it into the game universe. Chronicle Volume I seriously lacked any conflict between Stormwind and the Gurubashi.
I totally agree. This is the element I liked. The idea of Azeroth maintaining these armed elite of knights and footmen etc in a time of unending peace, as the WC1 manual portrayed it, always annoyed me. At least Chronicle introduced the Gnoll Wars, which I'd love to know more about.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Nope, they speak in brackets signifying they're speaking Zandali.
Hmm =/ There's no excuse for that then, it seems the fault lies entirely with the writer.

Quote:
I totally agree. This is the element I liked. The idea of Azeroth maintaining these armed elite of knights and footmen etc in a time of unending peace, as the WC1 manual portrayed it, always annoyed me. At least Chronicle introduced the Gnoll Wars, which I'd love to know more about.
I hadn't heard of the Gnoll Wars yet, that sounds quite interesting.

EDIT: I just read the Gnoll War article in WoWPedia. That's pretty nice lore, exactly the sort of stuff I wished there were more: wars in which none of the sides was incited by an "ultimate evil" force (i.e. demons, the Old Gods), as well as nations seeking their own self-interest (the northern kingdoms saw no reason to help Azeroth and thus took no action).

Last edited by Andrettin; 06-09-2016 at 05:20 AM..
Old 06-09-2016, 05:17 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Think Taria will be canon? Because that makes Varian and Anduin come from the Arathi Bloodline.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:24 AM

Eternal

I think the name Taria will become canon, but not her being Anduin's sister.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well at best the Warcraft movie franchise will cover a small part of Warcraft lore, and as is it won't even do that, but create an even smaller alternate version of it. Making books to earn money off of such a stunted copy of Warcraft (because that's what it is basically) is very moneygrubbing to me.

It would be similar to GRRM making a series of books that are basically ASoIaF but the show version of it. Most would find that a cheap move.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 AM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Well at best the Warcraft movie franchise will cover a small part of Warcraft lore, and as is it won't even do that, but create an even smaller alternate version of it. Making books to earn money off of such a stunted copy of Warcraft (because that's what it is basically) is very moneygrubbing to me.

It would be similar to GRRM making a series of books that are basically ASoIaF but the show version of it. Most would find that a cheap move.
Sorry but this sounds like something from someone who hasn't played the old RTSs. If anything the movie expands on the lore of the WC1 which had a slender-at-best-plot. It's hardly stunted.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Sorry but this sounds like something from someone who hasn't played the old RTSs. If anything the movie expands on the lore of the WC1 which had a slender-at-best-plot. It's hardly stunted.
He might be thinking of stuff like The Last Guardian, Rise of the Horde, and/or the beginning of Lord of the Clans. Not necessarily WC1 itself.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Elune

I just think this Warcraft movie business is too small a thing to warrant books. If it was the new canon for all of Warcraft then I could see it. But making books for a new line of canon that may well never even finish the 1st war period... it seems terribly inconsequential and certainly not book-worthy and so it seems incredibly cheap and moneygrubbing to me.

Just an opinion, if you or others like it that's great, go nuts.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Eternal

This book sounds pretty shit. Worse than Bloodsworn even.

Ashbringer and Dark Riders seens to have more brotherhood than this.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:25 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
The best thing about it is that there is movie concept art for the trolls in the back of the book. They look absolutely stunning. Will try to upload a photo if I can.
Please do, would love to see that.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:24 AM

Druid of the Talon

Tags
lore, warcraft movie