Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I just think Zabra will have something to do with Argent Dawn's creation.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Arch-Druid

Have some spoilers here below, just got done reading both issues.

You do see the troll again but it doesn't tell us anything of his background, just a conversation with Darion about Alexandros while giving him some sage advice.

Varian and the Clone fight each other in a battle of beauty and the beast for a bit while Onyxia tries to kill both of them. Each accuse the other of being an imposter. Anduin convinces them to stop their fight and deal with the dragon first, who kidnaps Anduin in the process. It looks like she has something she plans to do to test Anduin's mettle. Both Varian's will talk about their memories to compare and see if they hold the key to Onyxia's destruction.
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:51 PM

Sentinel Queen

Varian's saga has turned out much better than I would've expected for any Warcraft produced comic series.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peger View Post
Varian's saga has turned out much better than I would've expected for any Warcraft produced comic series.
I had to defend the WoW series on WoW insider today. So many hate it because they don't understand the point of the comic. Some actually blamed his drastic character change in beta on the comic, I was pretty surprised. To me its really interesting, I mean honestly a doppleganger with his memories, dark magic, torture. Thats some pretty interesting stuff behind Varian imo. It could have been a lot more dull.

Would be kind of funny if Varian could split off into multiples due to Onyxia's magic. Make an encounter where slighty different ones appear like in the film multiplicity. Would explain all his varying portrayals of him so far like calm, uncontrolled, intelligent, retarded, rageful, evil, good, etc lol

-Edit- I almost forgot to add, it seems like the clone became increasingly smarter and more in control of his own will as Varian came closer to Stormwind. You can even see in the preview how the clone is able to resist Katrana's charms now unlike before when Varian was furthur away. It kind of reminded me of Krasus's situation when he was in the past.

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 10-30-2008 at 01:13 AM..
Old 10-29-2008, 11:30 PM

Loremaster

Personally?

I have come of the opinion that Lo'Gosh and "King Varian" are one in the same, but that during his capture dark magic being used somehow split his personality in two, one the rough and tough trained warrior under Lothar, and the other the average kingly sort of fellow that everyone said he was like before he was "lost".

Now that the two of them are close together, both are regaining a bit more each time of who they were as a whole, and at some point the two will merge. This would explain his personality shift since once her merges much of the "King Varian" personality will merge with the developed Lo'Gosh personality and cause some conflict in his demeanor and ideals.

This would also explain why Anduin was uneasy with him, it was like half his father left, so it he has trouble really knowing if it was really him or not.

That is my theory anyways, with how much they are playing "King Varian" to be a genuinely good person, I have no reason to believe he is just a doppelganger.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
-Go kill the Horde, soldiers!

-No, we won't You're evil and insane like Garithos. You should be called Varianmathras.

-I'll go alone then.

-Lol, and your army?

*Hundreds of Varians*

-Tis' my army!
Nah, I just think they're half Varian each one. Or one of them a magic construct where storage half of Varian's memories.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-30-2008, 03:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Nah, I just think they're half Varian each one. Or one of them a magic construct where storage half of Varian's memories.
lol yeah, I just added in the splitting as a joke, would still be an interesting thing though. As to a magical construct, i'm actually doubting that. In this issue, during Onyxia's change her wings send "Varian" crashing into the wall very hard. She even yells at him for being a useless tool and being more trouble than any human shes dealt with before. I guess with Anduin's prodding and Lo'gosh's gradual return, this version of Varian became harder to influence.

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 10-30-2008 at 04:35 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 AM

Arch-Druid

The pity is it will be another two issues before we know exactly if they're a split version of the original, if one dies (the stupidity to declare a war in such times based on the reasons we were given has to come from somewhere) or what's going on.

Btw: Anyone has a scan of Onyxia in the comic? The one I saw in the cover of #15 locked pretty....not very much like onyxia

Last edited by LilMaibe; 10-30-2008 at 04:42 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMaibe View Post
The pity is it will be another two issues before we know exactly if they're a split version of the original, if one dies (the stupidity to declare a war in such times based on the reasons we were given has to come from somewhere) or what's going on.

Btw: Anyone has a scan of Onyxia in the comic? The one I saw in the cover of #15 locked pretty....not very much like onyxia
Yeah the focus of arenas are a bit much for me, neither Varian seemed concerned with the Horde or orcs at all. The way they make it sound in Beta is revenge was the only thing he thought about at that time, in the comics he was shown to only care about learning who he was and such. I'm hoping they either change it to make it better, or a least give a decent explantion. If we have to assume he always wanted vengeance at that time then thats just bad storytelling imo. Its not like they couldn't have thrown in a line like "damn dirty savages will pay" or something lol.

I don't have a scanner, but the one you saw on the cover for #15 is actually a page in this issue. There are two differents versions of Onyxia in the issue because of the different artist. The one you've seen isn't the greatest, theres another one that takes up two pages that looks pretty good.

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 10-30-2008 at 05:03 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
Yeah the focus of arenas and a bit much for me, neither Varian seemed concerned with the Horde or orcs at all. The way they make it sound in Beta is revenge was the only thing he thought about at that time, in the comics he was shown to only care about learning who he was and such. I'm hoping they either change it to make it better, or a least give a decent explantion. If we have to assume he always wanted vengeance at that time then thats just bad storytelling imo. Its not like they couldn't have thrown in a line like "damn dirty savages will pay" or something lol.
I really dearly hope they won't go and put it that Thrall later will welcome garona to Orgrimmar and varian goes -she killed my father, you give her shelter...errr...war!-
Old 10-30-2008, 05:15 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I really dearly hope they won't go and put it that Thrall later will welcome garona to Orgrimmar and varian goes -she killed my father, you give her shelter...errr...war!-
I hope not either, that would be just another lame and predictable excuse for the war, everybody would expect that, not a great story for me.

As farfetched as it might seem, I kind of hope Garona becomes an advisor to Varian. Maybe even a romantic character, would make for a good twist. We don't really know how Varian would react to her. We've been given so many different versions that act extremely odd that we don't know what the Orginal Varian would do lol. Damn dude slept with a dragon, fought himself in combat, never hit on hotties Jaina or Valeera at anytime. Hell his fighting style is even strange, he switches from Dual Wield techniques to single sword combat right in the middle of fights lol. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with the chick who murdered his father, would fit right in.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I hope not either, that would be just another lame and predictable excuse for the war, everybody would expect that, not a great story for me.

As farfetched as it might seem, I kind of hope Garona becomes an advisor to Varian. Maybe even a romantic character, would make for a good twist. We don't really know how Varian would react to her. We've been given so many different versions that act extremely odd that we don't know what the Orginal Varian would do lol. Damn dude slept with a dragon, fought himself in combat, never hit on hotties Jaina or Valeera at anytime. Hell his fighting style is even strange, he switches from Dual Wield techniques to single sword combat right in the middle of fights lol. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up with the chick who murdered his father, would fit right in.
I think the varian without the scars got all the libido....no wonder the other is pissed >_>

Or what we see are Id and super-ego of the same being

Last edited by LilMaibe; 10-30-2008 at 05:37 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 05:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I think the varian without the scars got all the libido....no wonder the other is pissed >_>
Yeah the one with scars showed no interest in either gender. Well except he did try to leave Valeera behind quite a few times while he hung out with Broll and Thargas........

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 10-30-2008 at 05:43 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 06:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

This twin Varian thing is starting to freak me out.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
This twin Varian thing is starting to freak me out.
lol you think thats bad? You should see the close-up picture of their faces when they clash weapons. One has a psychotic angry look, the other has a psychotic happy look, not sure which to pick.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Quote:
This will never happen. Varian is pretty anti-Horde (Valeera doesn't count because she is not technically Horde.. also, I think he's more predjudiced against Orcs and Undead).

Oh, and yeah, she killed his father

Last edited by Warlock; 10-30-2008 at 06:37 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 06:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
This will never happen. Varian is pretty anti-Horde (Valeera doesn't count because she is not technically Horde.. also, I think he's more predjudiced against Orcs and Undead).

Oh, and yeah, she killed his father
Oh I figure it won't happen of course. Before Beta, I think it would have been possible for Varian to understand what happened with Garona. He didn't rush into things like an idiot, now i'm not so sure with the Beta.

While i've liked the comics, i'm a bit saddened with how they've handled him so far outside of that.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 AM

Loremaster

I just hope beyond hope that Broll and Valeera hook up in the end and they don't attempt the suddenly throw her together with Varian.

We have enough high/blood elves falling in love with humans, for pities sake, give the other races some damn action!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

It'd make for a better plot to see a Night Elf and Blood Elf throwing aside their cultural prejudices.

Honestly I hope Varian and Jaina are going to hook up, then Varian's going to go and pull an Arthas/Kael'thas/Daelin on her proving that everyone she loves in any way will destroy themselves. The only problem with this story is that it will inevitably lead her to become the Kerrigan of Azeroth because no one can stay sane if they're cursed to be alone.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Agreed, don't want Varian and Valeera together. I don't want him with another human either. I'll secretly hope for Varian and Garona no matter how doubtful. Then all they'll need to do is say Garona is Thrall and Jaina's time traveling daughter who has a child with Varian.

"Papa, when will I get to see grandpa Thrall??

"NEVAH!!!!"

Last edited by BaskinRidge; 10-30-2008 at 07:11 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 07:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

I endorse peaceful relations between night elves and high/blood elves, so Valeera and Broll banging like mad would further that goal I say. They can produce an yellow baby or something. Named Pete.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

My thoughts considering twin Varian's:

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:57 AM

Arch-Druid

Got both issues now.

Serriously, the Art Swap during the middle of the Comic was terrible.

One one page I though I see Two Bruce Campbell fighting each other and on the next page it was He-Man against Prince Adam.

Oh, and both Varians are dumbfucks. Serrously they really needed Anduin asking them "Why arn't you fighting Ony?" to stop fighting each other on go after her.

I actually enjoyed Ashbringer more.

The scene were Alexandros was turned into a Death Knight by Kel'thuzad was great. (Basiclly, it were to two scenes swapping: Mograine becoming a DK and Renault's promotion into the new founded Scarlet Crusade.)

Last edited by Vineyard; 08-03-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Old 10-30-2008, 09:28 AM

Arch-Druid

And I ask again:

Why didn't Nyxi just eat them? Or Lo'Gosh even before he was put on the ship?

Nom Nom solves many problems
Old 10-30-2008, 09:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Serriously, the Art Swap during the middle of the Comic was terrible.
I actually like the new one for some reason:
- he makes Varian into a barbarian man, mm gotta love that muscle. <3
- he makes blood actually red
- hes more brutal

But you could question is his art for Warcraft? I like them both in the end.