Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Both of you shut the hell up about each other and discuss what's at hand.

You're acting like children, throwing insults at each other and feeling aggrieved over an idea. I don't care if it's the dumbest thing you've ever seen in your life, be polite about it and provide/accept the criticism leveled. We may have feuds on SoL, but we sure as hell don't need to see them erupt every other fucking day.

And Rob, don't fucking double post! You've been on here long enough you should know better. I will dole out a one week ban to the next person I see who double posts with a 750+ post count. If you've put that much time into this forum, it's pretty obvious that's a rule and you've seen the god damn edit button right next to your previous post.

Edit:
Quote:
Please show me what disrespect I have showed (it doesnt count if someone else starting doing mean comments which made me sad).
Responding to someone else's insults with equal venom does count, unless you're five years old and don't realize why eye for an eye doesn't work. You're both to blame, deal with it and move on.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
You're acting like children, throwing insults at each other and feeling aggrieved over an idea. I don't care if it's the dumbest thing you've ever seen in your life, be polite about it and provide/accept the criticism leveled. We may have feuds on SoL, but we sure as hell don't need to see them erupt every other fucking day.
But but but but but but but but but but but....
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Both of you shut the hell up about each other and discuss what's at hand.

And Rob, don't fucking double post! You've been on here long enough you should know better. I will dole out a one week ban to the next person I see who double posts with a 750+ post count. If you've put that much time into this forum, it's pretty obvious that's a rule and you've seen the god damn edit button right next to your previous post.
/clap lol
Old 04-28-2009, 03:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Aww Cantus I know I'm one to talk (shooting myself in the leg) but I don't think they're really doing anything that most of us haven't done over the couple of years. Man, I mean, some of the real bitch fights were way worse back in the day!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post

Also explain to me why there are Blue Dragons channeling some huge spell in Crystalsong and yet they are not mentioned in a single quest.
Obviously, they are saving up them for something big.

Pretty sure that's just there for a flavor zone...also "It was here that the Blue Dragonflight was nearly wiped out by the Black Dragonflight. Tuskarr legends say that the magic of the blue dragons was released into the air when they died. When an elder blue dragon cast a spell to turn the black dragons into ice, the loose magic in the air accidentally amplified the spell, causing the natural green forest to turn into crystal."

Quoted from the first paragraph to the Crystalsong Forest page on Wowwiki. They could be trying to harness the magic already there from so long ago and use it to power their ley-line tuners. Remember that just because they're in that spot in-game it doesn't mean that they are in lore. Perhaps after the fall of Malygos, the blues all laid down arms and surrendered. We killed a damned aspect; what hope do they have?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

An assing comes.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Rob got served.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:35 PM

Elune

Sad part is, his ideas would atleast sound cool if he didn't come off with the whole "I think like Blizzard, and therefore am correct" attitude. Granted he's 14, and Blizz does some childish shit sometimes (nerfing TG to reduce damage by 10%...fuckers)...still, Rob, the ideas themselves seem liek great fun, but remember that they're just ideas, mate.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Elune

Was it really needed to change his avatar tho? Its not really funny especially if you've lost the host link or so.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Aww Cantus I know I'm one to talk (shooting myself in the leg) but I don't think they're really doing anything that most of us haven't done over the couple of years. Man, I mean, some of the real bitch fights were way worse back in the day!
True enough, but if we can stop flame wars from starting/continuing endlessly into a firestorm I'd prefer it.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Was it really needed to change his avatar tho? Its not really funny especially if you've lost the host link or so.
He double posted.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

If the name changes again to include any variation on the word "Advice," I'm going to digitally smack the fool who thinks that they can give advice to Blizzard.

Edit: Kiss my ass...but it works.

Last edited by Cantus; 04-28-2009 at 08:09 PM..
Old 04-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Eternal

Your avatar change fails I dont like pixel asses

I like this one: http://ui10.gamespot.com/649/lichking_2.jpg

Also thanks for moderation.
Updating.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:36 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Don't taunt Yuber, he's not as forgiving as I am. *Hssshk ah Hssshk ah Hssshk ah*

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Your avatar change fails I dont like pixel asses

I like this one: http://ui10.gamespot.com/649/lichking_2.jpg

Also thanks for moderation.
Updating.
Sure you don't.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Quoted for truth.

The only way to end a "war" is to stop posting. SoL is SoL because things like those are allowed.

No one forces you to read other's shit.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Ranger

this is the best place i think it would be best to point out that, Night of the Dragon is a follow-up to the novel Day of the Dragon, and also provides insight into events leading up to Wrath of the Lich King.

so for those of you including Rob saying that Grim Batol is going to be the next raid just because a book came up before WotLK thats not a good reason. Night of the Dragon was just so we get a little more info on whats going on outside Wow, get some info on the Twilight Dragonflight and where the hell Deathwing was.

I'd also like to point out that the other reason some of you are saying that Grim Batol will appear in patch 3.2 is that we see a few Twilight Dragons in OS. In NotD Krasus said there maybe a few dragons that survived but he knew that all the eggs were gone, which we all know he was wrong but he still thinks this. So yea, even if he did notice the Twilight Drakes in OS he wouldnt think first thing " Oh shoot, we have to go back to Grim Batol my Queen, DEATHWING LIVES!" that would be stupid, hes done messing around with Grim Batol lol.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul View Post
I'd also like to point out that the other reason some of you are saying that Grim Batol will appear in patch 3.2 is that we see a few Twilight Dragons in OS. In NotD Krasus said there maybe a few dragons that survived but he knew that all the eggs were gone, which we all know he was wrong but he still thinks this. So yea, even if he did notice the Twilight Drakes in OS he wouldnt think first thing " Oh shoot, we have to go back to Grim Batol my Queen, DEATHWING LIVES!" that would be stupid, hes done messing around with Grim Batol lol.
Your logic fails. When something originates somewhere, and after you think you get rid of them, they suddenly reappear, that is going to be the first logical place you would go look. Krasus does not have to go "DEATHWING LIVES!", but he can say "Right under our nose Sartharion was tending Twilight Dragons, but I thought we destroyed them. Maybe we should have given Grim Batol a closer look."

The reason we are pointing to Grim Batol is because it fits into one of the main story themes. The Dragons.

If you have not realized it by now, Northrend has three major story themes, one main plot and two sub-plots.

Arthas and the Scourge
Yogg-Saron and the Iron Dwarves (And the Titans)
The Dragons and the Nexus War

Everything in the game are mostly designed to be connected in some form to one of these three major plots.

Now, with the patches coming out. We now have Ulduar 3.1, we have finished up the storyline of Yogg-Saron. We know Arthas is going to be the focus of 3.3, so that is a given. That leaves only one major storyline left to get a major "tie-in", that being the Dragons. Considering no other location in Northrend would make that good of a raid instance, Grim Batol, a very big center for dragon storylines, makes the most likely sense. It would also give Blizzard the chance to do something they have yet to do this expansion, which is add a decent raid instance to the "Old World" just like they did with Karazhan.

If Blizzard made the next patch in any way Yogg-Saron centric, they would be criticized for rehashing, if they do anything Scourge centric they will be criticized for rehashing once 3.3 comes out, if they pick something completely new and random, they will be criticized for not developing the storyline enough. The Dragons, frankly, are the best source right now.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Your logic fails. When something originates somewhere, and after you think you get rid of them, they suddenly reappear, that is going to be the first logical place you would go look. Krasus does not have to go "DEATHWING LIVES!", but he can say "Right under our nose Sartharion was tending Twilight Dragons, but I thought we destroyed them. Maybe we should have given Grim Batol a closer look."

The reason we are pointing to Grim Batol is because it fits into one of the main story themes. The Dragons.

If you have not realized it by now, Northrend has three major story themes, one main plot and two sub-plots.

Arthas and the Scourge
Yogg-Saron and the Iron Dwarves (And the Titans)
The Dragons and the Nexus War

Everything in the game are mostly designed to be connected in some form to one of these three major plots.

Now, with the patches coming out. We now have Ulduar 3.1, we have finished up the storyline of Yogg-Saron. We know Arthas is going to be the focus of 3.3, so that is a given. That leaves only one major storyline left to get a major "tie-in", that being the Dragons. Considering no other location in Northrend would make that good of a raid instance, Grim Batol, a very big center for dragon storylines, makes the most likely sense. It would also give Blizzard the chance to do something they have yet to do this expansion, which is add a decent raid instance to the "Old World" just like they did with Karazhan.

If Blizzard made the next patch in any way Yogg-Saron centric, they would be criticized for rehashing, if they do anything Scourge centric they will be criticized for rehashing once 3.3 comes out, if they pick something completely new and random, they will be criticized for not developing the storyline enough. The Dragons, frankly, are the best source right now.
Win post is winning.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:28 PM

Elune

Well i personally believe the Dragon subplot ended with Malygos' death. =p There are alot more subplots that can be considered "Scourge" tho.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM

Loremaster

The sad thing is, as much as one might wish it otherwise, all those loose threads involving Saronite, Vordrassil and the presence of Yogg-Saron's power throughout parts of Northrend far away from Ulduar will probably never be properly resolved.

For that matter, even the final events of the Scourge storyline could turn out to be somewhat hollow and roughly portrayed. No matter what stories we're given in the outside world, they're all eventually tied up in a raid. And not even directly; it ends up boiling down to "Remember the bad guys back when you were leveling? Go kill their boss now."

And when it comes down to it, raids are designed to at least partially cater to those who play WoW only for the endgame, who hate the entire pre-raid leveling process altogether, and who feel that things like following the story are a hindrance to getting at the loot and progressing through the endgame. Even Ulduar's kind of like this. Where's the Yogg-Saron quest? The Old God gets his starring role as the villain of Ulduar hijacked by Algalon, as the Observer gets a quest-related introduction while Yogg-Saron himself, who we've been inching toward since we set foot in Northrend, gets left behind as a pile of dead Lovecraftian meat without even a quest to prove that the deed is done.

In other words, much of the deepest story development still takes place in the single-player and small group content through the outside world and occasionally 5-man instances, while the finales of those stories are tied to a portion of the game where many of the players involved don't want to spend any time learning about the boss they're about to fight. Not all of them, but enough that many raids these days are essentially cut off from the world of quests and story-driven objectives. There are almost no quest chains in the overworld that eventually lead to the player heading into the raid to finish the story, with the exception of Malygos; even Naxx, which existed in tandem with Northrend since the expansion's release, is basically isolated from the world. Nobody seems to care if players go in there; no quests tograb the head of a boss inside, or to clear all the wings. It's all been turned into emotionless, storyless achievement fodder. Achievements don't make up for a story; they're stats. Sterile, empty stats that don't really mean anything, especially in the story. When the history books are written on Azeroth they won't care if
Sartharion was killed with three drakes up; they will have to make up for the fact that we're tossed into the encounter by numerical gear progression rather than an actual in-game story with direct reasons leading up to players heading into the Obsidian Sanctum.

It was the only truly endearing thing about attunement questlines; while locking players out had its definite drawbacks, the aspect of them that was worthwhile were the stories attached to them, making the raids a dynamic part of the world. I'm not saying attunements should be brought back - indeed it's for the best that players are able to, if they so choose, plunge directly into raiding without a convoluted grind being necessary beforehand - but why not optional quests tied to those at earlier levels that let the players march into raids with a quest log full of purpose and reason instead of every raid basically being a jaunt down to the Epix Shop from the moment we first visit the place?

Pressing on with the dragons' story could feasibly work, though even moreso than Yogg-Saron it would feel like a needless tangent. At least the Old God was heavily hinted at having some connection with the Scourge. Running off to Grim Batol at this point would amount to filler. That oft-loathed aspect of some television shows has the inherent flaw of feeling meaningless; evoking feelings of "Why the hell are they picking a fight with somebody new when the biggest villain around already has them in a headlock?"

If they do decide to send us dragon-hunting, it'll seem meaningless unless there's something big involved like scores of Twilight Dragons laying waste to something important to instigate such a trans-continental about-face, away from the real war to deal with the new threat. A Zul'jin-style "he's camped out over there and up to no good...and he has shiny treasures!" scenario would be unbelievably weak, considering how poorly it justified the Zul'Aman raid story-wise.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Well i personally believe the Dragon subplot ended with Malygos' death. =p There are alot more subplots that can be considered "Scourge" tho.
Why? We know that Malygos and the Twilight drakes actually have a very large connection often overlooked. They both exist as they are right now because of Netherdrakes.

Obsidian Sanctum was supposed to be a "hint" that the alliance between the blacks and the others is not on the level, and that they are planning something themselves for the future. They might even lead into the whole thing being a setup by Deathwing, in order to get one of the aspects killed, now leading to him to move on to the rest.

There is more to it then just Malygos. Ending the dragon story in EoE would be like making Magtharidon's Lair the end of the Burning Legion arc in BC.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
Why? We know that Malygos and the Twilight drakes actually have a very large connection often overlooked. They both exist as they are right now because of Netherdrakes.

Obsidian Sanctum was supposed to be a "hint" that the alliance between the blacks and the others is not on the level, and that they are planning something themselves for the future. They might even lead into the whole thing being a setup by Deathwing, in order to get one of the aspects killed, now leading to him to move on to the rest.

There is more to it then just Malygos. Ending the dragon story in EoE would be like making Magtharidon's Lair the end of the Burning Legion arc in BC.
The thing is, Magtheridon was sort of a bit player in the Legion; he was a more important part of the Illidari story, really. It was never indicated that Kil'Jaeden had plans involving Magtheridon, or even that he acknowledged that one of his pit lords was being held captive by Illidan at all.

Unless they have us bump off Deathwing (which is feasible I suppose, but it would seem a waste to defeat him in a secondary patch to another villain's expansion) it seems sort of disproportionate for players to defeat an Aspect, only to have that serve as merely an early step in the battle to ultimately defeat...some dragon who works for Deathwing.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Unless they have us bump off Deathwing (which is feasible I suppose, but it would seem a waste to defeat him in a secondary patch to another villain's expansion) it seems sort of disproportionate for players to defeat an Aspect, only to have that serve as merely an early step in the battle to ultimately defeat...some dragon who works for Deathwing.
Raids have always been disproportionate on most occasions, so I really don't see how that would be an issue, not even having Deathwing would line us up with the fact we killed an Old God in Ulduar and defeated a sacred messenger of the Titans. Even Arthas needs to be boosted up somehow to even compare once 3.3 hits the interwebs.

Blizzard can easily make the last boss of Grim Batol be stronger then even Malygos or Deathwing, since we have no idea how truly powerful a Twilight DRAGON can actually be... (Dragon, not DRAKE like we have only seen).
Old 05-07-2009, 02:08 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

They just need to give a story to Obsidian Sanctum. As far as I know, there's no quest or info around. Just mobs and loot.

NOTHING.

At least some quest quoting what happened at NotD would be nice. After all, Krasus, Rhonin and Vereesa are present in WotLK, and they're fighting dragons.

And: The Twilight Dragon Dargonax kicked Sintharia's ass. They eat magic, and, what do we have here? The "magic" dragonflight. Empowered by nether dragonflight, the sames used to create the first Twilight dragons.

There you have. The only problem for Grim Batol is the lack of info in-game pointing the obvious.

Finally, if they don't want to /shit everything, they should add Scourge menace somewhere, to show the Scourge is in action.

Also:

The visions of Yogg-Saron, IMO, are connected with 3 of the 4 plots of the expansion, a clear point of the destruction Yogg-Saron speaks about:

-Garona killing Llane > WoW Comic > Angrathar > War between Horde and Alliance

-Arthas and the prisoner > War with the Scourge

-The Demon Soul > It was used in NotD to create Twilight Dragonflight, combined with a blue dragon artifact > It's the reason behind Malygos madness > Nexus War

For me, at least, it's clear there's something behind this all. Deathwing, directly? We don't know if Sartharion is working with him, Nalice or Serinar. I think that "father" is a new Twilight Dragon, and that Deathwing isn't involved directly at all. Just manipulating, but not present right now.

I hope they give Malygos a new opportunity. I'm not talking about a rez, but an appearance, as a ghost, an essence or whatever would be nice. And, well, if we find he's not dead, the one at Nexus was an impostor or anything that makes him live, perfect. But not a raid boss, please.

And Sindragosa... seeing how much she hates Malygos, I suspect she could be behind some stuff, too.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 05-07-2009 at 02:29 AM..