Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-23-2017, 10:29 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
No, the reasoning behind was that people cared for what was being posted in the community. The production of the collective was in the concern.

It appears to me that there's already a place for constant headcanon-ing.

I think the moderating team should pose a more valiant effort ensuring that. And by that, I mean that I see no point in organizing knowledge by threads when we don't give a shit by organizing it in forum sections.
When I say "headcanon", I understand it as a possibility that is plausible under the existing lore. (e.g. Alleria Windrunner once sank a juggernaught by firing some skilled and lucky critical hits from Thas'dorah, an ancestral artifact weapon that radiates power from the fucking Sunwell itself.)

I say "fanon" when it's virtually impossible to be true. (e.g. Aedis Brom and Christoph Faral come from a parallel universe that is merging with the canon universe, and that's why their memories are wrong. It's called the Mandala Effect, since one of the most commonly wrong memories their people have is that the Mandala of Stirring Patterns awarded to defenders of Tol Barad - an identical design both now and in the Second War - looks entirely different than the one they remember.)

EDIT: On topic: This short story has Sylvanas as ranger-general before the Second War starts. Recent Thas'dorah artifact lore says her mother was ranger-general when the war started. Can we say, merging universes......

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-23-2017 at 10:36 PM..
Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
EDIT: On topic: This short story has Sylvanas as ranger-general before the Second War starts. Recent Thas'dorah artifact lore says her mother was ranger-general when the war started. Can we say, merging universes......
No one ever considered the possibility of the Artifact Archives being the expression of the various archivists' knowledge into written lore. Being a perception, it stops being a word of god, unlike the narrator's voice from Dark Mirror and Chronicle.

And well, they actually are written by archivists, in-game. We just don't know if that was the design decision - for them to be not 100% accurate - all along.

Or, they were deliberately designed as being written by archivists, to pave the road for possible future retcons.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
No one ever considered the possibility of the Artifact Archives being the expression of the various archivists' knowledge into written lore. Being a perception, it stops being a word of god, unlike the narrator's voice from Dark Mirror and Chronicle.

And well, they actually are written by archivists, in-game. We just don't know if that was the design decision - for them to be not 100% accurate - all along.

Or, they were deliberately designed as being written by archivists, to pave the road for possible future retcons.
Certainly. If there's one thing nice about Legion, it's they have finally begun creating in-universe made lore sources, sometimes even clearly intentionally biased (hail the Odyn tablet).

But it's not like this couldn't be explained in a number of different ways (I know, headcanons again). Perhaps Lireesa was at that point too old to perform her duties completely, and as her defined successor, Sylvanas served as an acting, junior Ranger-General at that point?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:59 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

Your argument is sound in theory, but this is in-universe history from less than forty years ago. And it would mean that either:

1) This archivist didn't know when Ranger-General Lireesa Windrunner actually died, or

2) Sylvanas became ranger-general before her mother died, and this archivist didn't know it.

EDIT: The second option would actually be pretty cool, but it demands official elaboration!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:24 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
My bro, Fargo is in charge of the lore development, now. There's really nothing to go on but headcanon, now.

Well, nothing that isn't upteenth times better.
He left to join the Hearthstone team a few months ago, actually. I don't recall who has his former position, but I think Afrasiabi is the head lore honcho on the WoW team now.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:06 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
He left to join the Hearthstone team a few months ago, actually. I don't recall who has his former position, but I think Afrasiabi is the head lore honcho on the WoW team now.
That's not so bad, then. Hearthstone is a good niche for him, and Afrasiabi has at least been with the team longer. My mistake.

Still, though, I think the point stands... SoL's entire purpose, I think, is the interpretation and discussion of lore; invariably, you're going to get headcanons into the mix. I trust most posters here to present reasonable and intelligent points when they do so.

Compare MMO-Champion's quality of headcanon/discussion, for example.

Tags
alien shadow ghosts, hot zombie action, literature, raw meat left in the sun, sylvanas is so hot, undead are not lordaeron, warcraft