Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 AM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Crossed Swords Dispatches from the Nexus (HotS)

Another story idea occurred to me last week. In essence, I found out Vaeflare is actively seeking fan projects for Heroes of the Storm. I started thinking about what I could do, and ideas started coming to mind.

This is actually the third start on this story. The first attempt got bogged down in pomp and bombast (totally wrong feel), and the second made the protagonist seem ineffectual. I ended up reconceiving the entire undertaking as something more along the lines of All I Ever Wanted to Do Was Study, so perhaps some credit is due to Bolvar for inspiration. What's important is that I succeeded in capturing the zeitgeist of the game (I think).

If anything was demonstrated by writing that opening scene over and over, it was that there needs to be a Nova/Valerian shipping fic. I even outlined it in my head. Why do I think of these things?

In this story, however, we start with the tutorial experience in three parts. That much is written. After that, I would be profiling another character each episode. And yes, there's a bit of headcanon in this opening.

The following was transcribed from a recording device found in the caverns beneath Ulduar.

Personal Log, Agent X41822N:
Since my equipment is still working for the most part, I have decided to begin keeping a personal log. I’m sure the handlers back at the Academy would be horrified, but I feel this is this best way to maintain some measure of sanity in this place. Besides, it’s not looking like I’m going to see them again anytime soon—if ever.

I can’t say how long I’ve been here. Time doesn’t exist in the Nexus as we usually think of it. I know only that I’ve been through twenty-five “matches,” the battles we are forced to fight. Somehow, all the clocks on my kit keep getting reset to zero every time a new match begins. The last date I can remember is 04.11.2505, so I assume it must be a few days from that at most. Who knows? If Uther is right and the Nexus really does exist outside time, it could already be a thousand years later in the Koprulu Sector.

I’m making this entry is to record how I got here before I forget. The matches we fight are starting to blur together—to the point I’ve actually resorted to cutting notches into my rifle like a common grunt. I’m a Ghost, dammit! The best Ghost. My mind is my first and best weapon, and here I am struggling to keep my facts straight.

Anyway, my journey to the Nexus started a few weeks before I actually ended up here. I was carrying out Emperor Arcturus’ personal command to find and kill the Queen of Blades. You could say I failed the mission, as seeing the monster laid waste to Korhal IV and killed the emperor. However, I am still alive. My target is still alive. That means it’s still possible to complete my mission, and so I must try.

I had tracked Kerrigan to Agria; why she went there of all places is beyond me. The point is the zerg hive there is small and poorly defended. It was quite possibly a one-time opportunity to take her down. Of course, this would’ve been easier if I’d still had a Dominion task force at my disposal. Unfortunately, our new emperor, Valerian, decided the Queen of Blades was not a threat. In fact, the little bastard sided with her against his own father. What can I say? Dynastic politics creates perverse incentives.

Needless to say, he wasted no time pulling my troops. He tried to pull me too, but I didn’t fall for it. I pressed on. What I hadn’t counted on was that my headset doesn’t allow me to block the emperor’s personal channel. I had to listen to him go on and on for hours about why I didn’t respond to the teep recall, how he needs me to intimidate his enemies, how I’m the only PI 10 humanity has, how my people need me. Did the pampered brat really think my skills could be better applied than by hunting the worst enemy humanity has ever known?

I should’ve known he wouldn’t give up easily. When he called the next day, he had my root code, the secret words that make a Ghost’s orders truly binding. He was babbling something about neural conditioning making me rationalize when I felt it: a strange psionic disturbance forming just meters away. I say strange because a psi disturbance is always accompanied by a linkage back to a psi presence. This one was not. It was just there. The closest thing I can compare it to is when the protoss warp troops directly onto the battlefield, but even that has a linkage back to a place of origin. This was quite literally a portal to nowhere.

The disturbance started to become visible as a shimmering effect in the air. I can’t describe it other than to say it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. It was mesmerizing. It called to me, somehow. The feeling was almost like the order Valerian was trying to get me to break. He’d started reading the words by the time I reached it—I didn’t hear him finish.

Words can’t really describe what happened when I touched the portal. One moment, there was ground under my feet; the next, there wasn’t. I was falling—in all directions at the same time. I had to keep my eyes closed because there was such bright light. It was like being in the middle of a flare—no, a lightning bolt. It was blue. I could sense featureless tunnel walls rushing past, pulling me through more twists and turns than I could count.

It all stopped just as suddenly as it started. I slammed into something—something hard. I was so disoriented, it took me while to figure out that ‘something’ was the floor. Yeah, remember what I said about a Ghost’s mind being her best weapon? If somebody had wanted to finish me off at that point, I wouldn’t have been able to stop them.

Apparently, though, that in itself wasn’t embarrassing enough. There was a man standing right next to me, and I didn’t even realize he was there until he spoke. Where this guy came from, I have no idea, but you should never let someone get the drop on you like that—especially not when you’re a Ghost.

“Greetings, hero, and welcome to the Nexus.” That was all the farther he got before I activated my cloaking field: I was much safer if he thought I was still sprawled on the floor in front of him. My sudden disappearance didn’t have much effect disposition, though. “That’s quite a talent you have there, lass,” he said with a chuckle, “one that will serve you well.”

By the time he finished saying that, I was back on my feet, sizing him up. He was a big man, tall and obviously no stranger to working out. I’d put his age in the mid-forties. He was wearing golden armor—sort of. He had strapped metal plates to his body, with the right shoulder beaten into an eagle. At the time, I thought he was just weighing himself down, but I know better now. That hammer at his side? Very effective.

“I’ve been sent to help you get acclimated to the Nexus,” he continued, “where the greatest heroes from across all of existence are being summoned to fight for honor and glory.” At least, I think he said something like that. The memory’s fading so fast I’m not even sure it was real anymore.

Whatever. While he was busy talking to the floor, I started looking for a way out. The two of us were standing on a metal platform, with strange machinery at each end. Each of them had a frame over a swirling vortex of light. The architecture looked most like dark protoss, but there was something distinctly terran about it. It’s entirely possible I was seeing some far-future creation of our species. It’s also entirely possible I’m trapped in some elaborate protoss mind game. The joys of being a Ghost.

The metal wasn’t the crazy part, though. That’s what was happening around the platform. There were great big pieces of…something drifting up and down. They looked like parts from some shattered surface. Beyond that, there were whole planets circling around, like I was standing in space.

My new friend didn’t seem to think our environment was at all remarkable. “The Nexus is the convergence of all possible realities, so there are some things that may take getting used to,” he said. That’s probably the biggest understatement I’ve ever heard. “My name is Uther—once called the Lightbringer. I was the first to be chosen, and I suspect that’s why I keep getting sent out here to welcome the new arrivals.” That was the first thing he said that didn’t sound scripted.

I tried to get a read on his intentions, but his mind was closed to me. In fact, I haven’t been able to pick up anyone’s thoughts since arriving here. It’s kind of refreshing, actually. I’m starting to think my abilities have been somehow reduced—or, maybe I just can’t read beings from other realities. Somebody in our research department should get on that.

“You know,” Uther said into the silence, “it’s terribly impolite not to tell someone your name once they’ve identified themselves.” I said nothing. The old man seemed friendly enough, but I wasn’t stupid enough to give away my position. Trust me, a split second is all it takes for a subject to go hostile.

I let the silence stretch on. Eventually, Uther hefted his hammer and started walking the perimeter. He probably figured out I wasn’t still on the floor. “I’ve been through this drill before, lass.” He was still friendly, but starting to get an edge. “I know both of us don’t get to leave this little portico until you give me your name.”

I decloaked directly in front of him, rifle aimed for a one-shot kill. “You can call me ‘Nova,’” I told him, “That’s what everybody else does.”

He was surprised—I could tell—but he wasn’t afraid. “Easy, lass. I’m trying to help you.”

“Then you can help me by telling me how to get out of here,” I said. I let him know I meant business.

The look he gave me was so pained I actually lowered my weapon a bit.

“Nothing gets out of here, Nova,” he told me. “All you can do is survive.”
“That…can’t be right,” I said. “Just because you haven’t found the exit, old man, doesn’t mean there isn’t one.”

“Fine,” he said with a resigned look, “go exploring on your own. I should warn you, though: it doesn’t matter which of these portals you take, the Nexus will send you where it wants you.” He gestured to the machines at either end of the platform.

I backed away, keeping my gun trained on him. “These ‘portals,’” I said, “Are they like teleporters?”

He nodded. “You enter in one reality and exit in another. You could say they bind the Nexus together.”

“So if I jumped in there,” I said, risking a glance inside the nearer machine, “where would I end up?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know, lass. You never do. For everyone else, the training ground has been Ravencourt, but you never know when something is about to change.”

I gave him another raised eyebrow. “Rave-what?”
He chuckled. “Go ahead, Nova. I have a feeling I’ll end up right behind you.”

Damn! The golems are up. We’ll have to cut this short. Nova out.

While I originally had visions of making a blog and attracting the attention of someone in Irvine, I don't think it's quite that good. Perhaps you can convince me otherwise.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

I like it. It would be interesting to see how Nova reacts to individuals such as Rehagr Earthfury of Tyrael.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 07-25-2014, 07:28 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Orb of Fire Dispatch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
I like it. It would be interesting to see how Nova reacts to individuals such as Rehagr Earthfury of Tyrael.
Thank you for your interest. Funny you should mention Tyrael, though. Nova is following her own version of the tutorial mission, so he makes an appearance in Dispatch #3. I remain undecided about whether to extend into the "advanced topic" tutorial, just start profiling the other heroes, or just leave it be. I am trying to write an original novel.

I'm not sure why I interpreted Nova as being so sarcastic, but it makes her a blast to write. I don't think Dispatch #2 works quite as well as the other two. The "distractions" are, well, distracting. Also, whoever is playing these heroes really sucks at the game.

Personal log, Agent X41822N:
I have now experienced twenty-six matches. With something of a waiting period before the next match begins, I will attempt to finish the record of how I came to be here. Understand this will be an active combat zone as soon as the barrier drops. Distractions are to be expected.

I happen to be standing not far from where I arrived after taking the portal from the arrival platform. It’s hard to tell; nothing ever stays the same for long. At least it was more dignified than my first trip through. Entering a new environment in a standing position is always a plus.

Exactly as he said, Uther was right behind me. He didn’t look the least bit off-balance. “Yes,” he said, looking around, “Ravencourt. This is Diablo’s favorite place to take over.”

I likewise examined our surroundings. We were standing on a dirt path in a forest. “Diablo?” I asked.

“Our second-longest resident,” the old man explained. “Every time there’s a new arrival, I get sent to greet them—and Diablo takes control of the minions in this realm.”

I gave him a skeptical look. Most people don’t openly refer to their employees as minions—but, as I said, things don’t work quite the same way in the Nexus.

Uther just pointed ahead of us. There was a creature milling about, but there was something wrong about it. It was almost like a terran, except its body was grossly misshapen. It moved with a slow, shambling gait like it wasn’t quite sure where it was. Hell, I’m not sure I know anymore, but at least I’m still kicking ass.

“Why don’t you push ahead and destroy a few of those undead minions?” Uther suggested. “We need to let Diablo know you’re here.”

I gave him an even more skeptical look. “I don’t know about you, old man; but last I checked, you don’t win battles by announcing your presence.”

He sighed. “This isn’t really a battle, lass. Think of it more as a training exercise. Minions shouldn’t pose much of a threat to you.”

Turns out he was right. One good hit from the ol’ C-10 and the thing collapsed in a pile of broken bones. There were three more farther down the road, and I started toward them—but the old man stayed right where he was. “You gonna help with this?” I called back.

Uther just laughed. “I’ve had more than enough training, lass. You seem like you can take care of yourself well enough. Besides, I’m going to reappear the next time you need me. That’s what’s always happened before.”

I shrugged and pressed on. I’ve always preferred working alone anyway. Cutting through the minions was childsplay–

Ah, the barrier’s down. Here’s where things get interesting. Sure, you could say it’s stupid to record an audio-log in the middle of combat, but I can probably get away with it, considering what I do. Take shot. Disappear. Take shot. Disappear. It’s what a Ghost always does.

Anyway, I laid waste to the stupid minions. Frankly, they’re the most ineffective army I’ve ever seen, but that’s another rant. The one good thing they did was introduce me to regen globes. These little things have to be the best medical technology in the universe, and our battles would be a hell of a lot more painful without them.

What the– They’re pushing forward already? The towers will cut them to pieces! Take this, moon princess!

Heh. That was fun. As I was saying, there was a town at the end of the path. There was a cobblestone plaza, some vintage buildings, and a squad of troops that looked like they’d walked out of the Dark Ages. Did I mention reality doesn’t work the same in the Nexus? Technology isn’t an advantage here.

Sure enough, Uther was right there. “I’m glad to see you’re progressing, Nova. Diablo has been attacking this town all…whatever time of day it is.” At least the old man has a sense of humor. “He should be…ah.”

Right on cue, lights started swirling at the far end of town. The stones actually melted into a pool of lava and a red, hulking…thing came crawling out of it. Let’s just say Diablo gets pretty damned powerful when a new arrival comes through. “You dare stand before the Lord of Terror?” he challenged. “I wonder…how tastes your fear, mortal?”

I lifted my rifle and took aim at the crystal rammed through his head. “Is that supposed to scare me?” I taunted. “I don’t know what you are, but I’m a Ghost. Eliminating unknowns is what we do. Care to try me?”

Big Red just laughed. He can be really unsettling when he does that. “Fear masked with aggression—my favorite kind!” More swirling lights, and he was gone. That happens a lot here.

I looked over at Uther. “Let me guess: I’m supposed to kill him now.”
The old man smiled. “That is the end objective.”

“Well,” I told him, “I’m sort of an expert at that.”
He chuckled. “Then go to it, lass. Keep trying out your abilities on the minions, and you should know what to do by the time you reach him.” The last thing I heard him say as I moved out was, “Just like Valla.”

Ooh, tributes are spawning. This is where things get interesting. Time to get in position. When I reached Diablo, our minions were zerg-rushing him in his own town. They were no more a match for him than they were for me, but it was enough to leave him injured—sort of like what Brightwing and Li Li are doing with Stitches over there. Let’s see if we can even this up, shall we?

That’s better. I announced my presence to Diablo in my favorite way: with a killshot. Well, it would’ve been a killshot on anybody else. Big Red is really tough for some reason. I also discovered opening fire breaks my cloak—which it’s been doing ever since I got here. On the other hand, it’s gotten so easy I don’t really have to think about keeping it up anymore. An acceptable trade, I suppose.

Needless to say, my target wasn’t too happy about getting shot. Nobody ever is. “This realm—and all the misbegotten souls within it—are mine!” he proclaimed. He has thing for souls, I guess. He started to charge me, but I pinned him back and got off a few more rounds. Speaking of which, that tribute is mine, thank you!

Anyway, when he died, his body dissolved into thin air. At least the Nexus is clean. Somehow, he managed to yell his last words: “I will hunt your soul across eternity, November Terra!” Hey, Diablo is creepy, but you learn to ignore him after a while. It did set me wondering who this ‘November Terra’ was, though. Was that my name before I became a Ghost? How would he know that? If I ever get out of here, maybe I should take Valerian up on his offer—before I kill the bastard, of course.

Dammit! Zeratul’s on my tail. This is gonna take everything I’ve got. Nova out.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:07 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Haste Dispatch #3

In resolution to my own dilemma, I took the liberty of expanding this entry to include the second tutorial mission. It turns out there isn't much in it. I should say the Nova I'm writing here lacks the "deadly focus" in the character description, but she's just so darned funny I can't help myself.

Also, it's a weird feeling when you have to stop and ask yourself, "What would Diablo say to that?"

I have now experienced twenty-seven matches. This is the third installment of my arrival account. It will hopefully be the last; there’s not too much left to tell. Once Diablo was down, Uther had me teleport back with my hearthstone. This little rock is amazing. It’s quite literally a teleporter in your pocket. All you have to do is activate it, and boom! You’re back at the hall of storms for your team. No idea where it came from: it just appeared in my kit sometime after I arrived.

Unsurprisingly, Uther was beside me the moment the flash cleared. The two of us were standing in front of the biggest portal I’d seen yet, my first time in a proper hall of storms. “You’ve done well, lass,” he said, “but this is not over yet.”

I will admit I actually facepalmed when he said this. “Not over?! I just killed him! How much more ‘over’ can you get?”

The old man gave a pained smile. “Death doesn’t work quite the same way in the Nexus. Diablo will be back. To truly defeat him, you’ll have to win the match.”
I raised an eyebrow. “Okay. How do I do that?”

Uther gestured around where we were standing. “This is the hall of storms. Heroes are summoned here when a battle begins,” he explained. “The objective is always to destroy the enemy’s core, while protecting our own from their attacks.” He pointed to the giant bird statue in the middle of our base. “Both cores summon minions, who travel down the pathway in endless waves. Left to their own devices, they’ll just stalemate in the middle; but–”

“If we help them, they’ll push through and take out the core,” I finished. “Not my first time in a battle, old man.”

He nodded. “Good. Go out to the front lines and start making an impact.”

That was no problem for me. Breaking an impasse is the job Ghosts get on the battlefield. I only got to the front gates of our base before I was confronted with yet another one of those things in the Nexus that takes getting used to. See, the Nexus is the convergence of all possible realities, so some of our so-called “heroes” can be a little out there. There was—quite literally—a pile of rotting meat walking toward me. “Stitches want to play!” it shouted.

“Not very bright, that one,” Uther called from behind. “Attacking a fort by yourself is practically suicide.”
I shrugged. “I guess that’s one thing that’s the same here.”

The old man wasn’t kidding. The base defenses tore our friend Stitches to pieces in a matter of seconds. Uther shouted some final advice as I left. “Stay behind the minions; let them soak up the damage. The enemy towers will always target them first.” That’s one of the most important lessons in the Nexus: minions equals meatshield. They’re sort of the marines and zerglings of the Nexus. No assault should be staged without them.

Naturally, I let the minions take the brunt of the enemy fire while I worked on the towers. Who knew a sniper rifle could be so effective against a fortified emplacement? Once his front gate was in ruins, Diablo came out to meet us. “Your minions pose no challenge!” he declared. “Now, I will feast upon your terror!” Believe me, the guy has a serious ego problem.

“You won’t be getting any terror from me,” I told him. “In fact, I have half a mind to rip that crystal out of your head and use it to make sure you won’t be feasting on anything.”

Big Red started toward me, trying to look imposing. “You please me, November Terra. Fear fills every fiber of your being, so much a part of you that you aren’t even aware of its presence.”

“Stitches love fiber!” shouted a voice to my right. Suddenly, I got a sinking feeling. I was facing both of them at once. The only option was trigger my cloaking field, but Meat-Pile was too fast for me. The one thing he’s good at—aside from clearing rooms—is hauling things in on his hook. I landed directly between Stitches and Diablo, never a good place to be. They both took swings at me and–

Everything went white. For a few seconds, I couldn’t see, hear, or feel anything at all. The next thing I knew, I was standing next to Uther back at the hall of storms. I appeared to be uninjured, though I will admit to being pretty shaken—which is saying something for a Ghost. “Did I just…die?” I asked.

“Yes,” the old man replied. “Luckily, death in the Nexus is no more permanent for you than it is for Diablo. It’s just a setback, really.” He smiled knowingly. “How about if I join you for the next sortie? That ought to even the scales a bit.”

He was certainly right about that. Remember what I said about his hammer? Stitches didn’t last long; neither did the inner defense tower. Trust me, Uther may be over the hill, but he’s no pushover. We don’t have those here in the Nexus.

Diablo went down soon after his lackey, leaving his core undefended. Maybe if they’d, you know, faced us together, they’d have had a chance. I guess demon lords don’t think about cooperation. Like I said: ego problem.

When he respawned and found his core destroyed, Big Red practically threw a fit. “This cannot be! I am the Lord of Terror! The Burning Hells march at my command!”

“You’re seeming less scary by the minute,” I told him. I briefly considered shooting him again just for being such a jerk.

Diablo’s most annoying habit, though, has to be his love of sweeping proclamations about future events. “I will have my vengeance, November Terra! This is not over!” I still don’t know what he did, but there were more flashes of light. In seconds, we were facing not two, but five opponents.

I wasn’t liking those odds. I was about to suggest a retreat when a voice spoke behind me. “Still picking on mortals, are we?” I risked looking back. Apparently, Uther called for reinforcements too. The speaker was a black-armored woman with a red hood and cape.

“Fairness has never mattered to demons, Valla,” said a golden-armored man with wings. Did I mention he was flying? It’s things like that that keep me wondering if I’m going to wake up in a psych ward somewhere.

Our third backup was wearing blue CMC armor with the serial 435 and a decal of Kyla Velassi on the left shoulder. I couldn’t help but turn to him in shock. “What the hell?” I shouted, “You’re dead!”

He just hefted the sizable autocannon he was carrying. “Do I look dead to you, missy? Now, let’s get this done.”

As much as I hate to admit it, Findlay was right. The five of us got to work on Diablo and his henchmen. There were casualties, of course, but we all kept respawning. I was not pleased. Being an assassin is very frustrating when nobody stays dead. It makes life pretty pointless.

Luckily for us, Uther had a plan. While our backup covered the lanes, he showed me how the locals could be “recruited” for our cause. I can’t say they’re pretty, but they’re damn good at throwing rocks. Their psychology leaves something to be desired too: knock them around to show them you mean business, and suddenly they’ll fight to the death for you. Were they abused as kids, or something?

Anyway, once the siege giants were on our side, the whole team formed up around them and made a concerted push into Diablo’s base. And exactly as before, Team Red didn’t pull together until it was too late. Later, I found out he’d stacked his team with other world-destroying rulers, so maybe that’s not so surprising. The result was the same, though: loss of the match. Since then, I’ve been reappearing at one hall of storms after another.

Since I appear to be the last member of Team Blue left alive, I suppose it’s time to get back in the fight. Nova out.

And now I leave it up to you, dear readers. Do you think this is worth continuing?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM

World Builder

Who's Vaelflare?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-28-2014, 07:20 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Who's Vaelflare?
Kimberly LeCrone (aka "Vaeflare") is a CM for Heroes. She makes me seem quite sane by comparison.

EDIT: 70+ views on this thread and NOBODY has an opinion?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
In this story, however, we start with the tutorial experience

Let me find a Youtube video of the tutorial, before I check this out...
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Lumber (War3) Dispatch #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post

Let me find a Youtube video of the tutorial, before I check this out...
You don't NEED to see the tutorial experience to understand; you'll just find it more funny if you do. Go ahead and start reading.

General Announcement: Since "November" happens to be someone's name, I will try to put up a Dispatch every week this month. And you'll all be so preoccupied with BlizzCon hype, you'll never even know! Hee, hee.

At this point, I've pretty much given up trying to keep Nova in character. I'm just doing what "feels right." Maybe I should've chosen one of the new characters to be my lens in the world. The Nexus According to Sgt. Hammer would've been interesting.

I have now experienced thirty-nine matches. I’m counting the last one, even though I wasn’t there for all of it. It seems I landed myself a spot on the welcoming committee. Not sure what—if anything—I did to deserve the job, but there I was, porting in behind the new guy—exactly as happened in my first match. The interesting part was his identity: the illustrious James Raynor. He seemed surprisingly happy to see me, considering our last contact was me hauling the cowboy in to face execution.

On the other hand, if the Nexus pulled him from a year ago, his good-natured response to my teasing would make perfect sense. Valla noted once that even though she’s fought Diablo a few times, the one here as no memory of her. She said his appearance better matches a drawing from twenty years ago. If the Nexus is pulling people in from different times, that would also explain how Tychus is alive here.

Whoever’s calling the shots around here, I must be in their favor. Being one the first friendly faces a new arrival sees means they want people to see me. I’m less certain how to feel about the whole thing, though. How do you react to someone who should hate you when they don’t hate you? Anyway, I guess I have night terrors to hunt. Nova out.

So, that was a bit short, but cranking these things out is going to do that. Just so you know, there's a plot point coming, and I'd like to have at least one more character profile before it happens. Suggestions, anyone?
Old 11-07-2014, 02:03 AM

Echo of the Past

Started reading; quite enjoyable!

I'm curious if they will encounter Chen or, gasp, Kerrigan. Not sure what you can do when your stated mission (assassinate Kerrigan) is infinitely possible and impossible.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Orb of Frost Dispatch #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Not sure what you can do when your stated mission (assassinate Kerrigan) is infinitely possible and impossible.
Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking ahead!

So... A funny thing happened on the way to this post. I was going to write about how Muradin still has a vendetta against Arthas. Instead, this came out. I'm still scratching my head.

I have now experienced forty-one matches. All this pointless fighting is wearing on me again. See, fighting side-by-side is a bonding experience. We’ve known that for thousands of years. But bonding one moment and then killing them the next is pure torture. I…suppose that’s why Ghosts are taught to avoid emotional attachment. You can’t really help it, though. Ghosts are still human, after all.

I shouldn’t even be thinking about this. Get in, do your job, get out. Infiltrate, kill, disappear. Never think more deeply about it because the results are too painful. That’s what they taught us at the Academy, and I’m increasingly convinced they were right. Discipline, Nova, keep yourself under control. You’re a Ghost—the best Ghost.

And yet, the Dominion feels more and more like another life. What’s the point of following rules set by someone I’m never going to see again? Well, maybe not never. Who knows? Raynor and Findlay both showed up. What’s to stop the next arrival from being Emperor Arcturus? Damn. I’d have to kill him! I couldn’t do that—even if I had to die over and over for ten matches straight. He’s our strength, our rock, our savior. We can’t survive without him.

No. No personal feelings. Do your job. Your mission is all that matters. Pull yourself together, Nova. Ugh. It’s like my controls are slipping. Is this why it’s standard procedure to wipe a Ghost after every mission? I’m starting to think I need it. Nova out.

Like I said, I'm not sure where that came from. I did intend to show Nova's humanity beginning to conflict with her programming, so things got carried away, I guess.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Orb of Frost Dispatch #8

First, let me apologize for being so late with this. In RL, I got a new job and moved to a place that had no internet access for the first week. Things have been set up now, so hopefully there won't be another delay. As things stand, it appears the last post of my "November in November" special event will now be in December. Oh well.

This post grew out of what I intended to do with the previous one. It ended up going much longer than expected, which delayed things even further. Whether intentionally or not, some of Nova's closing philosophy in the previous post forms an ironic contrast with the attitudes she expresses in this one. I think that's actually a good thing, as I've found nothing humanizes a character quite like a healthy dose of hypocrisy.

I have now experienced forty-five matches. Having fought beside almost all the other prisoners more than once, I’m beginning to find many of them have prior relationships. I’ve always been a proponent of leaving the past behind, but it seems like the Nexus has a funny way of throwing the past in your face. Take, for example, an encounter I observed between Muradin and Arthas. Being cloaked has its advantages.

First, understand Arthas is an armored colossus who creates ice out of nothing everywhere he goes. You can feel him coming from a good fifty meters out even if you don’t see him. Then again, having seen what he can do, let me say he has no need to hide himself. Muradin is a burly man with an axe and a hammer who actually seems to be enjoying his time in the Nexus. He’s obviously crazy—considering that and the amount of time he spends styling his beard. Oh, and I should probably mention he’s short; as in barely taller than my waist. I would never have expected these two had anything in common, but it appears they have quite a history.

I’d followed Shorty down into the Haunted Mines to collect skulls for our team’s golem. I’m still not clear on how this works, but let’s just say whichever team kills more of the walking skeletons gets a bigger bone-monster to crush opposing forts. Me going down was a no-brainer: scoring quick kills is sort of my specialty.

As you might expect, I was laying waste like nobody’s business. Suddenly, I came around a bend to find Shorty and Iceheart going at it. Now, most of the fights that happen during our matches have a degree of “I’d rather not be here doing this” to them. Not this one. Those two were really, truly trying to kill each other.

“Should ne’er told ye about that blade, Arthas! I turned a good man intae a monster.” Yes, Shorty really does talk like that.

“Nonsense, Muradin,” Arthas replied. “Frostmourne was my destiny even then. You have my thanks for helping me along.” Iceheart has a flare for the dramatic—not quite the level of Diablo, but there’s nothing he loves more than delivering a physical and verbal riposte at the same time.

“Oh, yes? Was that the part where ye left me tae die? Some gratitude ye have there, princeling!” Shorty tried to charge him again, probably to deliver one of his famous punches. Believe me, you don’t want to be on the receiving end of his fist.

Before he could get there, though, Arthas froze him to the spot and delivered a heavy blow of his own. The duel went from a tossup to decidedly in Iceheart’s favor. “Well, had you actually died, I could’ve given you a place of honor in my kingdom. Unfortunately, you did not. A pity.”

Why he stopped there, I don’t know. See, that’s one of those things I’ve learned about the Nexus: the bigger and scarier somebody looks, the more likely they are to waste time on making speeches. Ghosts don’t do that. We may stop and observe when something unexpected happens, but it doesn’t put the mission on hold. That’s why I wasted him right there. No speeches, no grand entrance—just straight-up surprise. Iceheart was already pretty banged up from his altercation with Shorty, so he went down fast.

Muradin was glaring daggers at me for the entire rest of the match, even though I’d turned a Blue Team kill into a Red Team kill. I think he was angry at me for stealing “his” kill, which is stupid because he did it himself five more times before the match was over. Personal scores have no place in combat.

Neither do personal attachments, I might add. You should see how Tyrande and Malfurion avoid each other every time they end up on opposite sides. There was one time, in Blackheart’s Bay, when Malfurion went running by, loaded with Doubloons. He had exactly enough to satisfy the captain’s demand for tribute for the Red Team. Tryande was right with me on Blue. I would’ve had him if she’d dropped one of her marks on him—but no! She just stands there. Our forts took a serious beating from Blackheart’s guns because Moon Princess couldn’t bring herself to harm her precious manbearpig. Jerk.

Later, Valla told me they were married before they got here, but that’s no excuse. We have new lives now, just like when I became a Ghost. The past is the past, and you have to leave it behind. If you don’t, it’ll destroy you. The present is the only moment that matters, and it’s where your mind should stay. In my present, the Dragon Knight is heading up my lane, and I have no support. Really? Looks like I have the worst team yet. Nova out.

In closing remarks, I want to point out this is my first time working in first-person. This has been an eye-opening experience, much like my first attempt at a short story. This much I can say for sure: Your choice of protagonist matters WAY more in 1st than it does in 3rd. A character like Nova is actually more interesting when we can't see what's going on under the hood. Her mystique is a big part of her appeal.

Last edited by DarkAngel; 11-23-2014 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Stupidly hit wrong button

Tags
heroes of the swarm, storytelling