Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
A Japanese jihadi, now that would be a fearsome sight to behold
That would be Koshiro Tanaka, a Japanese karate expert who joined Afghan mujahedin back in the '80s and fought the Soviets.

http://www.csmonitor.com/1987/0814/omuj1.html

He's still around, and is an advocate for Japanese rearmament (which is probably not a bad idea, even if I'm disturbed by Abe's revisionism).

https://news.vice.com/video/japan-vs-the-islamic-state (he shows up at around 7:57).

I don't think he's a Muslim, though.

There is a tiny Muslim community in Japan. Some were soldiers who converted after discovering the religion during World War 2 (which goes back to your earlier statement ), but I think most now are immigrants. A number of Iranians resettled in Japan during the '80s, though I don't know if they were religious. One of them married local and fathered Yu Darvish, the half-Iranian and half-Japanese starting pitcher for the Texas Rangers.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 02-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

FYI, most Iranians who re-settled in the 80's were slightly or not at all religious. Some are, like my father, very anti-Islam. This doesn't make them good or bad people, it just means they left the country (or stayed away) when they saw the regime cracking down on anyone who wasn't a willing participant in systemic abuse.

The Mad Admin
Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
FYI, most Iranians who re-settled in the 80's were slightly or not at all religious. Some are, like my father, very anti-Islam. This doesn't make them good or bad people, it just means they left the country (or stayed away) when they saw the regime cracking down on anyone who wasn't a willing participant in systemic abuse.
Yeah, I wasn't able to find confirmation for that in Japan, but I'd suspected as much. Most Persian-Americans I've met haven't been particularly religious Muslims (or Muslim at all), largely since they fled the current regime.

Of course, there are the Zoroastrian Iranians. I have not yet met any, but I understand that there are a fair number in the US. And I was acquainted with the head of the Baha'i club in UCI.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 02-17-2017 at 11:04 AM..
Old 02-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Yeah, I wasn't able to find confirmation for that in Japan, but I'd suspected as much. Most Persian-Americans I've met haven't been particularly religious Muslims (or Muslim at all), largely since they fled the current regime.

Of course, there are the Zoroastrian Iranians. I have not yet met any, but I understand that there are a fair number in the US. And I was acquainted with the head of the Baha'i club in UCI.
Only met a few Zoroastrians, but nice folks; very classic Iranian without being too posh about things (in comparison to a lot of ex-pats).

The biggest thing about Iranian culture (and similarly other nations with major pre-Islamic cultural centers) is that those who are ex-pats tend to reflect in the more liberal Islamic writers and/or non-Islamic texts. For Iranians (regardless of religious preference), Rumi is basically required reading, and most of those are interpretations of Islam that refute overt authorities (e.g. Mullahs) for inner reflection. So, if you're speaking with a reasonably educated Iranian, you don't see anywhere near as much obeisance to scripture or authority as you would someone who just reads/listens to propaganda.

The Mad Admin
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Only met a few Zoroastrians, but nice folks; very classic Iranian without being too posh about things (in comparison to a lot of ex-pats).

The biggest thing about Iranian culture (and similarly other nations with major pre-Islamic cultural centers) is that those who are ex-pats tend to reflect in the more liberal Islamic writers and/or non-Islamic texts. For Iranians (regardless of religious preference), Rumi is basically required reading, and most of those are interpretations of Islam that refute overt authorities (e.g. Mullahs) for inner reflection. So, if you're speaking with a reasonably educated Iranian, you don't see anywhere near as much obeisance to scripture or authority as you would someone who just reads/listens to propaganda.
That's been my experience as well. Much of what Westerners assume to be Middle Eastern culture is really Persian culture; the early caliphates adopted it, much the way the Mongols ended up going Chinese.

Are you at all familiar with Orhan Pamuk? His novel, My Name is Red, showed how Persian art and literature dominated the Ottoman Empire, which tended to be somewhat imitative (sharpening the Turkish identity crisis). Rumi, Ferdowsi, and others (maybe Khayyam, though my understanding is that he's better known as a mathematician than as a poet in the Middle East) all had a lot of influence.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

I have not, but that definitely tracks with everything I've read on M-E history. Most of that stems (as you've noted elsewhere) from Iranians being placed in administrative positions in successive empires and effecting culture from there.
I'll have to look that up.

Also, if you haven't read Khayyam, I'd go pick up his works ASAP. Definitely one of my favorite poets when I was a kid. In fact, I should go back and re-read that stuff myself.

The Mad Admin
Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
I have not, but that definitely tracks with everything I've read on M-E history. Most of that stems (as you've noted elsewhere) from Iranians being placed in administrative positions in successive empires and effecting culture from there.
I'll have to look that up.

Also, if you haven't read Khayyam, I'd go pick up his works ASAP. Definitely one of my favorite poets when I was a kid. In fact, I should go back and re-read that stuff myself.
I love Khayyam's work. My dad had a copy of Fitzgerald's translation of The Rubaiyat, so I became familiar with him at an early age. However, my understanding is that Fitzgerald's translation, while poetic, is quite inaccurate.

I haven't read Rumi, and only a few scant portions of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh. My Name is Red discusses the Khosrow and Shirin portion of the epic at great length, though it goes by the Turkish name of Husrev and Shirin.

EDIT: To go into a little more detail about My Name is Red, the novel is a murder mystery set in the miniaturist community of Istanbul during the sclerotic reign of Murad III. It's not an easy read (the murder mystery is honestly not that important), but is one of my favorite novels.

Pamuk explores what seems to be a Turkish identity crisis. They were relative latecomers to Dar al-Islam, but found themselves the big boys on the block. At the same time, the "authentic" Turkish nomad culture had been completely subsumed. Though the Turks were powerful, they were still new arrivals following an Arabic religion and using Persian culture.

A big issue is Western influence, which the Ottomans are suspicious of. At the same time, most Turkish art is really just borrowed from Persia, so it's not like there isn't a precedent for foreign influence. But if there's only foreign influence, what's actually Turkish?

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 02-17-2017 at 01:05 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Am I too late to congratulate Nazja?

Currently reading My Name is Red, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
We need our daily forum reminder that Yaska is a serious manly man who thinks about and does very manly things all the time and is not secretly gay at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
When the unlimited breadsticks reach their limit and the bottomless salad its bottom, a great calamity shall pass through the barren garden of olives. Omacron shall be its name! Woe to you, sons of Tuscany! Woe to you, sons of Sicily!

Last edited by Anansi; 02-18-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post

Currently reading My Name is Read, by the way.
Guessing that's a typo? Anyway, good to hear! How far are you?

Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 AM

Trade Baroness

Quote:

Currently reading My Name is Read, by the way.
Red or Read?

And thanks.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:

Currently reading My Name is Red, by the way.
Typo? I see no typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Anyway, good to hear! How far are you?
Three chapters past I am Red. I'm leaning toward Stork as the murderer, unless it's Olive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranus View Post
We need our daily forum reminder that Yaska is a serious manly man who thinks about and does very manly things all the time and is not secretly gay at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
When the unlimited breadsticks reach their limit and the bottomless salad its bottom, a great calamity shall pass through the barren garden of olives. Omacron shall be its name! Woe to you, sons of Tuscany! Woe to you, sons of Sicily!

Last edited by Anansi; 02-18-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 01:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Typo? I see no typo.

Three chapters past I am Red. I'm leaning toward Stork as the murderer, unless it's Olive.
Ah, very cool, so you're about halfway through.

I was just gobsmacked and thrilled by the sheer amount of information in that novel. It does assume some that the reader has some familiarity with Turkey and the Middle East, but I was generally able to follow everything.

At the moment, I'm reading The Ottoman Centuries, by Lord Kinross, and recently finished the section dealing with the reign of Murad III, the sultan of My Name is Red. The guy was basically a non-entity, as the book shows.

At the short-lived travelogue forum I used to manage, one of the posters (Palestrina, I think) had read the book, and described the setting as being a gilded prison cell, which I thought was accurate.

Pamuk's Snow is another good novel (though not as good), which explores the situation in Turkey in the '00s. It's interesting to see what's carried over from Ottoman times.

Hey, I actually found some My Name is Red fan art on Deviantart. It's of Shekure.

http://annoyingayon.deviantart.com/a...KURE-409191144

So far as I know, it's the only example of fan art.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 02-18-2017 at 02:05 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I'm just reading 11/22/63. The comparisons in it and with the what I see in the American Politics thread are kind of startling.

Last edited by Shekinah; 02-18-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Old 02-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Problemsolver

Signed the contract and got the keys to my band's new rehearsal studio the other day, and had some equipment moved over there earlier this evening. We share the place with two other bands, who are kind enough to let us use their PA systems. So naturally I tried it out and recorded a little something something.

Now all we need to do is get the drum set and all of our amps over there and set up, and we'll be back on track after a few months of not doing much playing at all. Rock n roll is what keeps the world go round.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:00 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I'm just reading 11/22/63.
You're in for a treat. Fantastic book.
Why would I want to play some cunt in a dress with hands softer than a baby's belly when I can be a hulking motherfucker wearing spiked pauldrons the size of your mother's sweet ass and a loincloth that barely conceals the massive erection I'm rocking?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:59 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So on one hand, I finally qualify for my job's health insurance, which means I can save about $130 compared to the Obama one. On the other hand, I really hate this job, and find myself being physically and mentally drained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
So on one hand, I finally qualify for my job's health insurance, which means I can save about $130 compared to the Obama one. On the other hand, I really hate this job, and find myself being physically and mentally drained.
Look for something better but do not make hasty decisions. Money is important but your mental and physical health is just as important.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:48 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

So I get $16 deducted from my checks now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
The continuing existence of Five Night's at Freddies is proof that there is no God.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM

Elune

Finally got off my ass and started reading Witcher books. Im going to replay as canon Geralt decisions...

Even if I really dislike Yen
“Disguised in a handlebar mustache with a ten gallon hat hanging low against his brow, Loki moseyed into Odin's party, despite the fact that he wasn't invited. Being dressed like Juan Valdez in a room full of people dawning Viking braids and pointy horned hats, however, tended to call attention to oneself. Odin's wife, Frigg, noticed Loki the moment that he stepped through the door, “What the Hel are you doing here? You weren't invited.”
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM

Eternal

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Finally got off my ass and started reading Witcher books. Im going to replay as canon Geralt decisions...

But Yennefer is best girl. Also, unicorn!
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Triss, thanks.

They arent bound by a magic Djinn, she hasnt cheated on geralt, ect.

Actually, Renfri is best girl, but kinda dead.
“Disguised in a handlebar mustache with a ten gallon hat hanging low against his brow, Loki moseyed into Odin's party, despite the fact that he wasn't invited. Being dressed like Juan Valdez in a room full of people dawning Viking braids and pointy horned hats, however, tended to call attention to oneself. Odin's wife, Frigg, noticed Loki the moment that he stepped through the door, “What the Hel are you doing here? You weren't invited.”
Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
I mean, I might love redheads, but Yennefer was the better choice. Girl's got fire. And yes, the unicorn was possibly one of the best, most ridiculous scenes in the game.

Yes, I know Yennefer's actually an old crone in the books.

The Mad Admin
Old 02-20-2017, 06:35 PM

Eternal

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Triss, thanks.

They arent bound by a magic Djinn, she hasnt cheated on geralt, ect.

Actually, Renfri is best girl, but kinda dead.
They were into each before the Djinn link deal and after it was severed, though. It would be kind of hypocritical for Geralt to be upset about her cheating, too.

Quote:
Yes, I know Yennefer's actually an old crone in the books.
Well, technically she is in the game, too. She just uses magic to be hot and not a hunchback.
Member #14

Drunken Heathen of SoL
Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
They were into each before the Djinn link deal and after it was severed, though. It would be kind of hypocritical for Geralt to be upset about her cheating, too.

Well, technically she is in the game, too. She just uses magic to be hot and not a hunchback.
All sorcorecess are ugly.

Druids and Priests turned away ugly women, the sorcs took in everyone with talent.

Geralt wasnt exactly "into" yenn before the Djinn link, he was interested, but he didnt think she was all tgat special.

He likened Sorcs in general to spiteful people, pretty people who couldnt ever forget they were only pretty thanks to magic, and that they had eyes of ugly woman.

Yenn in particular was a piece of work, wanting to kill a literal legend for kids.

Look, mayber her portrayal i get into later. Im just starting the second collection of shorts
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Elune

Quote:
I'll pretend I never read this.

Tags
eye of kilrog, realspace, spam thread 2.0, voyeurism