Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2015, 05:50 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Orb of Fire The Expanse

So, there's a new series around and apparently it's based off a big series of SciFi books by the same name made by two authors working under a pseudonym. Anyway I don't know anything about the books, though that is part of the reason for making this thread (those who know of it, share your thoughts), but the show seems interesting enough so I thought we'd discuss it here.

(the show is not out on TV yet, it starts next Monday, but apparently it is available via streaming, I just pirated it so there's always that option)

It's quite a hard (believable) piece of science fiction, set 300 or so years from now, there is no FTL or any jawdropping tech that I could see. Humans have spread out across the Solar system to the Moon, Mars and the Asteroid Belt. The basic premise (from what I could gather) is that Mars is the rising power militarily, Earth (+ the Moon) are the 300 pound gorilla and the people of the Asteroid Belt (Belters) are the trodden upon undedog. Things are very tense in the Solar system and an event occurs which may well start to unravel the whole shebang.

I like the relatively low tech nature of the setting (having no FTL and so being set entirely in the Solar system is very interesting), people also suffer from their stay in unearthly environments, the Belters who primarily live on Ceres are very thin and tall due to low gravity, they appear quite misshapen and there are classist differentiations made visible by the consequences of being able to afford better or worse medication for your kid to combat the consequences of low gravity. The setting seems quite cynical and that works since it focuses more on low level players so far.
Of those my favorite was a common detective working on Ceres, somewhat bent, somewhat trying to do the right thing in a bent world he really feels real.

What I didn't like is that the portrayal of low gravity conditions was inconsistent, but I can forgive that due to budget constraints. They do show it well now and again and I can let the rest slide. I am also not sold on the most overt cause of the Belters' discontent. Apparently the ice which covered Ceres has been stripped and sold to Earth and Mars. I can get that Mars may need water (especially if any form of Teraforming is being attempted) but I think it is ridiculous to say Earth needs it. Anyway not a big deal.

Overall I quite enjoyed the show and I am looking forward to more, anyone else?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-10-2015, 06:04 PM
HlaaluStyle HlaaluStyle is offline

Elune
HlaaluStyle's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tradegate, the Outlands
Posts: 12,465
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Default

I haven't seen this, but I'm actually sort of curious about it. I'll see if there's a place where I can find it online, since I don't have a television at the moment.
__________________
See WoW in a way you've never imagined it.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:09 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

Holy crap, so besides the two episodes out so far they have released two more (for hype building purposes I imagine). And man am I hyped.

I just loved these four episodes, I can't wait to find out more of what's happening.

I wonder where these unknown fighters get their advanced tech from. The intrigue is vast and seems to tie in everything together, the powers that be on Earth and Mars, the detective from Ceres and the remaining crew of the Canterbury. Also I like the Mars guy, I hope he doesn't die.

Awesome show so far, and it promises to continue being good and interesting. I suggest it to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:30 PM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
So, there's a new series around and apparently it's based off a big series of SciFi books by the same name made by two authors working under a pseudonym. Anyway I don't know anything about the books, though that is part of the reason for making this thread (those who know of it, share your thoughts), but the show seems interesting enough so I thought we'd discuss it here.

(the show is not out on TV yet, it starts next Monday, but apparently it is available via streaming, I just pirated it so there's always that option)

It's quite a hard (believable) piece of science fiction, set 300 or so years from now, there is no FTL or any jawdropping tech that I could see. Humans have spread out across the Solar system to the Moon, Mars and the Asteroid Belt. The basic premise (from what I could gather) is that Mars is the rising power militarily, Earth (+ the Moon) are the 300 pound gorilla and the people of the Asteroid Belt (Belters) are the trodden upon undedog. Things are very tense in the Solar system and an event occurs which may well start to unravel the whole shebang.

I like the relatively low tech nature of the setting (having no FTL and so being set entirely in the Solar system is very interesting), people also suffer from their stay in unearthly environments, the Belters who primarily live on Ceres are very thin and tall due to low gravity, they appear quite misshapen and there are classist differentiations made visible by the consequences of being able to afford better or worse medication for your kid to combat the consequences of low gravity. The setting seems quite cynical and that works since it focuses more on low level players so far.
Of those my favorite was a common detective working on Ceres, somewhat bent, somewhat trying to do the right thing in a bent world he really feels real.

What I didn't like is that the portrayal of low gravity conditions was inconsistent, but I can forgive that due to budget constraints. They do show it well now and again and I can let the rest slide. I am also not sold on the most overt cause of the Belters' discontent. Apparently the ice which covered Ceres has been stripped and sold to Earth and Mars. I can get that Mars may need water (especially if any form of Teraforming is being attempted) but I think it is ridiculous to say Earth needs it. Anyway not a big deal.

Overall I quite enjoyed the show and I am looking forward to more, anyone else?
This sounds incredibly good, just like what I need right now, good new sci-fi. Gonna check it out.
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2015, 05:56 PM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Holy crap, so besides the two episodes out so far they have released two more (for hype building purposes I imagine). And man am I hyped.

I just loved these four episodes, I can't wait to find out more of what's happening.

I wonder where these unknown fighters get their advanced tech from. The intrigue is vast and seems to tie in everything together, the powers that be on Earth and Mars, the detective from Ceres and the remaining crew of the Canterbury. Also I like the Mars guy, I hope he doesn't die.

Awesome show so far, and it promises to continue being good and interesting. I suggest it to everyone.
Seems I missed that you made a thread about this.

Well, my thread can die if some mods can bother, here's my post:

I must say, this is probably the best sci-fi I've ever seen outside of the cinemas. I t's a real treat for the sci-fi and space nutters out there as it's set in the 2200 where humanity has colonies on Mars and the Belt. All humans and no aliens. The Belters though could almost be called alien as after generations growing up in such a low gravity environment their bones have deteriorated quite abnormally.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:21 PM
miffy23 miffy23 is offline

Elune
miffy23's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 10,096
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Default

Watched first two - i'm hooked! Finally some decent sci-fi again!
__________________
El. Psy. Congroo.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I haven't seen this, but I'm actually sort of curious about it. I'll see if there's a place where I can find it online, since I don't have a television at the moment.
It's a great show, very unpredictable in a lot of ways, has some great casting in it. I'm generally a fan of not giving your lead the stereotypical "Hero six pack", but its SyFy so you can't blame them there. The scope of this show might explain why Tyreese got an out of nowhere dedicated death episode in the Walking Dead a while ago though as the actor is in here.

There are some pretty terrifying situations in the show though. The world itself is incredibly dense, the factions are super interesting especially Mars. There is some dialogue in there that will really make you speechless for a few minutes.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2015, 11:58 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

I quite liked how they handled artificial gravity, by having the ships constantly accelerate by 1g, this is hard but possible with powerful engines. My friend speculates they use fusion + ion drive but I am not sure yet. The battle in ep.4 was amazing and felt really real. But while the action is nice I am really enjoying the political intrigue and the interaction between the characters (that Earth official-woman (still not caught up with names) is perhaps the most interesting now).

My gripe remains the water issue. I think even if Ceres was stipped of ice there'd be lots of ice on other Belt asteroids. More than enough for the Belt AND Mars. But it's not a big issue and the writers may surprise me with a plausible explanation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
There are some pretty terrifying situations in the show though. The world itself is incredibly dense, the factions are super interesting especially Mars. There is some dialogue in there that will really make you speechless for a few minutes.
Heh, figures you'd like Mars, it's basically the US in space. Though to the creators' credit they included some of its faults in addition to the ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Yaskaleh Yaskaleh is offline

Eternal Watcher
Yaskaleh's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The heart of Scania
Posts: 18,625
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Default

#MarsistheBest

Overall I get the world building feel which I often get from sci-fi anime. The expanding humanity in the solar system, workers against owners, the poor striving for better situations. Fight for resources and real politik. Mixed with intense space battles, contraband forces working in the shadows and super powers on the verge of war.
__________________

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 12-18-2015 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

Episode 5 is out now, just info for those who watched 3&4 early like I did that there is something new to watch.

Anyway the story remains to be great, I love the gritty feel of it and the awesome worldbuilding, pretty much what Yaska said.

I just hope SyFy doesn't cancel it randomly, I've noticed they tend to do that a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 AM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Heh, figures you'd like Mars, it's basically the US in space. Though to the creators' credit they included some of its faults in addition to the ideal.
From what we've seen of Mars so far, I think you've made some grave errors in your choice of comparison.
__________________
Game over, man. Game over.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-08-2016, 07:23 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
From what we've seen of Mars so far, I think you've made some grave errors in your choice of comparison.
Oh really? And what would you compare them to?

Staunch republicans (in the original sense), with marines, and fervent believers of individualism who slam Earth socialism. Honestly I'm half surprised no one said Manifest Terraform


PS. I forgot to mention that it kinda sucks that the Martian dude died, I was quite hoping he'd survive the Donager screw-up. Well, RIP, you were interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2017, 01:40 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

It's back btw, 3 episodes out so far. Still loving it.

Chrisjen is awesome, so is all the intrigue around Eros (this includes the Cant crew, Johnson and Miller), can't wait to learn more about the protomolecule and I bet we'll be going back to Eros soon. The Martians are annoying me, except their leader (the bald guy) but I can see where they are coming from so they don't break my immersion. Shit, I wish it was all out so I could binge watch it :-P

Last edited by C9H20; 02-09-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:06 PM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

So what are the odds this show does well enough that the entire series (or a larger portion of the series) of books gets made?

I've seen people call it the Game of Thrones of Sci-fi, which I'm pretty sure is a compliment.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Ragnahar Ragnahar is offline

Poor Soldier
Ragnahar's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 12,430
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
So what are the odds this show does well enough that the entire series (or a larger portion of the series) of books gets made?

I've seen people call it the Game of Thrones of Sci-fi, which I'm pretty sure is a compliment.
I personally like it more than GoT, but I'm a big Sci Fi guy.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-09-2017, 10:51 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
So what are the odds this show does well enough that the entire series (or a larger portion of the series) of books gets made?

I've seen people call it the Game of Thrones of Sci-fi, which I'm pretty sure is a compliment.
My guess? Decent.

The show is popular, there is lots of readily available material so writing it won't be a problem. Otoh it is an expensive show, I am guessing because of all the SFX, and SyFy has a bad reputation for canceling shows very often. Because of that people are now more leery of SyFy shows and so SyFy has worse rating and cuts them even more, again my guess there.
So in total its chances are decent but they can be improved if even more people were to watch it, so if you like it spread the good word.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2017, 12:15 AM
Insipid_Lobster Insipid_Lobster is offline

Eternal
Insipid_Lobster's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Yolkshur
Posts: 3,738
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Default

The casting for Miller and Chrisjen are on point.
__________________
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 AM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,051

Default

Right season 3 has rolled around. No "wow" moments so far, well maybe the nuke that hit Brazil if that causes the war to escalate but probably not.

It is interesting though that for the first time the main cast of the series is one place, I am sure the Io expedition will be interesting and we already see flavors of that through the chat Chrisjen and Naomi had.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entertainment, literature, science, scifi, television, the expanse

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.