Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2016, 05:08 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Default Rotal's Balls In A Jar - The Thread

I'm currently in the care of or anticipating / making appointments with a bunch of braindoctors to get my hormone therapy going on - Austria's a bit inconsequent by being fairly generous when it comes to paying for transition but you need a shitton of paper- and diagnosis-work; no such thing as Informed Consent going on here, i need three different kinds of attests just for step 1. Part of that includes a therapist i'm now seeing, with the second meeting happening next week.
Here's my pickle though - they want me to bring a list of information next time, including a wish or two for my future name. The pickle-part of that is... i haven't been able to come up with one yet. There's tons of female names i find quite beautiful, but they're all either english or englishly pronounced variants - the german language just isn't all that kind to girl names. What sounds nice, flowery and fittingly cute in english turns into the mental image of an 80 year old WW2 surviving grandma - you may picture or link the Schmetterling-meme here.
So basically, since the internet is the only place right now where i'm presenting as female, i'm used to my female, regular name being "Rotal", which i quite honestly respond to faster than my real name as-is, considering i hate my proper name anyway. Austrian name-change laws are fairly strict so that one won't fly soooo i'm comming up short on my list. I've got Amanda, Samantha and Jennifer, and all three are solely on the list because they got meaning and because the list would be empty otherwise.
So i've decided to toss a plea for help all around the internet and my friends. I need some brainstorming over here peeps. Anyone got a girl-name that doesn't sound 500 years old in german? 'cause no matter how long or short this beaten-down body's going to make it, i'm gonna be stuck with my new name for the rest of my life, and i'd rather find one i like.

I'd ask for serious respones only but that'd probably just net me tripple the amount of examples like The Good Ship Hitler Did Nothing Wrong so joke away.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:13 AM

Arch-Druid

Vanessa.
Rebecca.
Charlotte.
Marisa.

And because you asked.

Adeline Hitlerina the Third.

Last edited by Yakitori; 09-16-2016 at 05:16 AM..
Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 AM

Banished

Mutilatea
Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Hmm, I kind of like Julia/Julie or Saskia, but it all depends on how well your new name flows with your surname.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:27 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Hmm, I kind of like Julia/Julie or Saskia, but it all depends on how well your new name flows with your surname.
Henricson or something, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Henricson or something, isn't it?
I thought that was just made up.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:18 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Seconding Julia/Julie
Flora/Florence
Laura
Rebecca
Johanna

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 09-16-2016, 06:47 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

This is a very personal and private thing, that you would be much better off figuring out with people who have experience in this field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:20 AM

Eternal

I've always been partial to Agnes, Emma, Eleanor, Anna, Anika or Anelie, Kate and finally Suzanne. Oh, and Lilith, that name's just diabolical.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:17 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Brunhildgrizzeloldga Schulzäferzimmerhoffrödermann das dritte.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:20 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
This is a very personal and private thing, that you would be much better off figuring out with people who have experience in this field.
Nobody's actually deciding her new name, just giving some ideas...

Actually, that reminds me, have you tried the old "look through a book of baby names" Rotal? That's a classic.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 AM

Elune

Johanna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Brunhildgrizzeloldga Schulzäferzimmerhoffrödermann das dritte.
die Dritte.

That's the entire point here.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I am. Or rather: i'm going to; it's not going to become a pressing issue for a good year or so, i think, but it's good to throw the lure out there and gather a pool to choose from. I guess stuff like this is part of why i'm going to need at least ten to a dozen therapy sessions for the third statement, and it's really only a problem because of austrian name change laws. They demand a "proper" name. If i could do as i please i wouldn't think twice over just using Rotal. I'm so used to it, and more imporantly it's mine. It's my name. I made it (the fact that it's apparently a real name in northern countries is coincidental), i gave it to me, i'm using it. Fuck parents naming their children. What idiot came up with that concept anyway.

Quote:
Doesn't really matter, nothing goes with that. Most people can't even pronounce it, and don't blame 'em. Not a huge fan of Julia; if possible i'd like to avoid naming myself a name that someone else i know has since people could ask "so why did you name yourself after X?". Same for Saskia; it's my sister's second name.

Quote:
I thought that was just made up.
It is. My actual family name is a czech river and i have no idea why. I guess some ancient precursor came from there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Seconding Julia/Julie
Flora/Florence
Laura
Rebecca
Johanna
I like Rebecca but instead of Becky Chambers the mental image is that of a jewish character in one of the many, many religious movies i had to sit through in Religion Class. Makes it sound so B.C..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I've always been partial to Agnes, Emma, Eleanor, Anna, Anika or Anelie, Kate and finally Suzanne. Oh, and Lilith, that name's just diabolical.
I like the sound of Emma but i don't think i'm gonna look like an Emma. That's the other half of the problem; i can't even begin to theorize what i'm going to look at; i've got 60 more lost kilogramms, months of hormones and face surgery to wait through before i get my face. Maybe i'll be an Emma. Maybe i'll be a Jessica. Maybe i'll be a Harold because fuck genetics; not everyone passes even with hormones and surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Nobody's actually deciding her new name, just giving some ideas...
Yep!

Quote:
Actually, that reminds me, have you tried the old "look through a book of baby names" Rotal? That's a classic.
I have not, but i will. Didn't even think of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakitori View Post
Vanessa.
Rebecca.
Charlotte.
Marisa.
Charlotte is such a beautiful name in english
I like Vanessa. It may end on my list. But it sounds like a thin name... 60 more kg... over a year if everything goes to plan, and well over that if shit continues to stall as it does right now...ffs.

Quote:
And because you asked.

Adeline Hitlerina the Third.
I guess i did ask for it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:44 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Amanda Tapping II.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Elune

So, you are taking the plunge. Congratulations are in order, and certainly best wishes

I can't really suggest a good Austrian name without being unintentionally stereotypical probably. Still I always liked Sofia/Sophia/Sophie/Etc (goddess of wisdom) so let that be my contribution.

Be sure to keep dropping in and let us know how it goes. And I am here for you if you ever need someone to talk to.

Last edited by C9H20; 09-16-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Old 09-16-2016, 10:59 AM

Eternal

I'm also throwing some in:
Anna
Lena
Laura
Lisa
Stefanie
Julia
Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Amanda Tapping II.
Amanda is on the list, just... i dunno, isn't a bit stalky to name yourself after a star just because you like her? ... that Amanda thing was a running gag that got REALLY out of hand on the Keen Software House forums. I don't know... It's honestly just on the list to have ONE relatively normal name on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
So, you are taking the plunge. Congratulations are in order, and certainly best wishes
Thanks!

I can't really suggest a good Austrian name without being unintentionally stereotypical probably. Still I always liked Sofia/Sophia/Sophie/Etc so let that be my contribution.[/quote]

Hm, not really my taste :/

Quote:
Be sure to keep dropping in and let us know how it goes.
It's still ways off because of the appointment-bottleneck. If everything goes according to plan hormones could be in before New Year but i think Jannuary or February is more realistic. Also I might make a post blog out of it. Dunno, don't think too many people would find it interesting. Plus, y'know, it's SoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
I'm also throwing some in:
Anna
Lena
Laura
Lisa
Stefanie
Julia
I have thought about Stefanie; it might make it on the list, but i don't think it'll fit me. The way it's pronounced around here also makes it sound even more like Stefan-ee than it already is. And the regional short version would be Steffi, and fuck that.

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 09-16-2016 at 11:05 AM..
Old 09-16-2016, 12:23 PM

Although you said fuck parents naming their children, have you considered asking them what they would've named you if you hadn't gotten screwed over by that one chromosome? They might surprise you.

Either way, whatever names you'll stick with, I hope it all works out well for you. You're really brave, taking this big step.

(You seem to like longer names, but I'll just suggest Ines anyways. It looks weird on paper, but it doesn't sound too bad. )
Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Although you said fuck parents naming their children, have you considered asking them what they would've named you if you hadn't gotten screwed over by that one chromosome? They might surprise you.
I have. But that would require telling them i'm trans. After the respective Depression- and Cutting Scar-fiascos imma gonna hold on that one and present them with that little information once i have the hormones in hand. Earliest.
Plus they've been telling me i was an unwanted accident for 30 years, i somewhat doubt they gave it much of a thought. They just gave me the most common boys name at the time and decided to intentionally spell it wrong to make me "special".

Quote:
(You seem to like longer names, but I'll just suggest Ines anyways. It looks weird on paper, but it doesn't sound too bad. )
Ines sounds like a short version of something. Ines....abella maybe? No that doesn't sound right... Inesse?

Last edited by Commander Rotal; 09-16-2016 at 12:32 PM..
Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
I have. But that would require telling them i'm trans. After the respective Depression- and Cutting Scar-fiascos imma gonna hold on that one and present them with that little information once i have the hormones in hand. Earliest.

Ines sounds like a short version of something. Ines....abella maybe? No that doesn't sound right... Inesse?
Ahh, yeah, that could be a problem. Can't you just ask out of curiosity, without making them suspicious? Maybe start by asking if they originally wanted to use your name for your sister if she'd been born male?

Agnes.

Last edited by Nazja; 09-16-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Eternal

To be honest my favorite female name of all time is Helena (or any variation of that such as Elenna, but not Helen).

I wanted to name my hopefully-some-day-I'll-have-one daughter Lúthien, but it doesn't sound good in Portuguese ;(
Old 09-17-2016, 12:17 PM

Elune

Sigyn, eastre, hillary, rose/rosetta, carrie, taryn, holly, Slowmara
Old 09-17-2016, 12:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Just go for some Star Trek name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:23 PM

Elune

Laura.

Tags
names, sol therapists