Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-05-2018, 05:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Trust in the troll toe.
Alright, for the troll toe, then!

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 04-05-2018, 06:04 PM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
I don't think Blizzard is deaf to concerns. A week ago, I sent the devs a tweet about something as trivial as my concerns over Zandalari Dire Trolls appearing to have had their hind toe deliberately removed. Latest build, and that toe was glued back on.

Blizzard wants to deliver a quality product. Trust in the troll toe.
A blatant error, yes. The stuff generating the complaints appears to be intentional, hence the concern. How likely is Blizzard to "fix" something they don't see as an error?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:33 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I'm always amused by how much you hate me for no reason.
But i do have reason. The fact that you're always saying stupid shit is my reason
Old 04-05-2018, 07:03 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
It are four months.

Lots of time.

And the BC/Cata/WoD comparision doesn't fit, because neither Expansion had their release dates already revealed that early. (Plus, why is BC suddenly "bad" only to fit into that idiot "even number" pattern.

Cata had problems because they ran out of time, because they had to revise more quest/terrain than they thought. Heck, they even revised the Human/Undead starting Zones less than 2 months before the Pre-Release Patch.

WoD had similar problems, with at least two zones to be heavily redesigned.

The only expansion that also had a month of redesigns and no such problems was MOP. (People forget that some major parts of the early Jade Forest Questing were designed, with some heavy terrain changes.)

Plus, I can't imagine, that Blizzard would be so careless to announce a release date, if they wouldn't know what they are doing.

And again, IT'S ALPHA. Heck, Boralus still has the PH stuff that IGOD had reported last week.
You realize there’s more to the comparison than just development right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Lyvef1re#1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
I'm curious about something: how does WoW's development work? Is the BfA team the same one that did WoD? Is the Legion team the same one that did MoP? Because I'm starting to notice a pattern here in regards to which expansions I'm fond of and which I'm not.
I doubt we'll ever know to any degree of certainty. They must realise that if it ever got out that there is an "on" and "off" team that every second expansions sales would crater. I do think it is becoming far too much off a pattern though. One that seems to have begun from the moment Cata dropped the ball with subs.

Quote:
I don't think Blizzard is deaf to concerns. A week ago, I sent the devs a tweet about something as trivial as my concerns over Zandalari Dire Trolls appearing to have had their hind toe deliberately removed. Latest build, and that toe was glued back on.

I reserve judgment for if they're prepared to put in the effort to give actual playable Zandalari the proper toe but i guess its a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
But i do have reason. The fact that you're always saying stupid shit is my reason
Dat irony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
The stuff about zandalari not being at launch makes sense given their finale on alpha.
Is there actually a direct quote outlining the Zandalari/fat-people not being playable with launch content?
You haven't directly stated it but there are a hell of a lot of people assuming Not at launch = Patch content when it could easily be "expect to be timegated to hell and grind your ass off bitch".
Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sa'danak View Post
You haven't directly stated it but there are a hell of a lot of people assuming Not at launch = Patch content when it could easily be "expect to be timegated to hell and grind your ass off bitch".
Thank you.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:06 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Blizzard said they were focused on choosing classes for race fantasy, rather than balance, so adding things just to even out is weird.

Mages are fine, since you could argue Ogres. Shadow priests are fine, since pale orcs. How do light priests make sense, or monks?
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23222/bonechewer-brawler
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=86285/shattered-hand-brawler

Those guys are a thing. It's not mental gymnastics that they learn to punch things better from a Pandaren.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:39 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=23222/bonechewer-brawler
http://www.wowhead.com/npc=86285/shattered-hand-brawler

Those guys are a thing. It's not mental gymnastics that they learn to punch things better from a Pandaren.
Careful, you are assuming Blizzard will actually care to suggest Monks as a class can come from anything other than generic Pandarian martial arts here. Remember they were all too happy to slap a Pandaren in the Nightborne racial area as justification for them being able to be skilled monks on a dime.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:30 AM

Arch-Druid

I must say, they really got good at hotfixing things.

I was finally able to complete two storylines in Tiragarde Sound yesterday, that where still bugged at the begiining of the week.

Then I managed to get to the chasing LadyAshvane quest, which was heavily bugged with lots of falling through the ground. (Relogging didn't help.)

Worked perfectly fine today, besides it being clearly unfinished.

(Now the only thing missing is that stupid horseshow, with it's buggy Zeppelins.)
Old 04-06-2018, 07:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Careful, you are assuming Blizzard will actually care to suggest Monks as a class can come from anything other than generic Pandarian martial arts here. Remember they were all too happy to slap a Pandaren in the Nightborne racial area as justification for them being able to be skilled monks on a dime.
It's not just martial arts. It's chi blasts and celestial totems. I don't know why people hate Pandaren being the origin of Monks so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
It's not just martial arts. It's chi blasts and celestial totems. I don't know why people hate Pandaren being the origin of Monks so much.
I can't speak for anyone else, but while I'm personally fine with pandaren being the original monks and the main catalyst for playable monks of other races, I would have liked Blizzard to also include some other racial themes like Scarlet monks for humans, Auchenai monks for draenei, something related to Eramas Brightblaze for blood elves, and perhaps a canon version of the RPG's runemasters for dwarves and tauren. For example, blood elf monks could be former disciples of Eramas Brightblaze who knew some techniques involving arcane-enhanced unarmed fighting, but were taught more advanced and sophisticated pandaren fighting techniques by Pao and Sho the Wise.

Currently I find that monks tend to feel very homogeneous and samey, whereas other classes like paladins, priests, and warriors tend to have more of their own unique racial variations. Tying monks so heavily to pandaren and Pandaria can also make them feel slightly out of place in anything that isn't MoP content, but I guess a counter to that argument would be that the same thing can be said for death knights and demon hunters, to an extent.

EDIT: Here's something completely different. Blizzard posted a preview of the two BfA novellas, Elegy and A Good War.
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21647285/

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 04-06-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Saurfang’s lips pulled back into a snarl. The power of nature was not found in the swing of a fist or the slice of a blade. It was found when a forest was rent to dust by fire and yet returned in only a few years. It was found when a mighty city was claimed by overgrowth after being abandoned for a decade. It was found in a thousand generations of predator and prey, which lived and hunted by the instincts of their ancestors.

In the hands of a druid, that power could be condensed from centuries into a minute. In Malfurion’s hands . . .
Quote:
With a yowl of fury, Ferryn sprang toward the Forsaken, while—too slowly—Delaryn drew an arrow and nocked it to her bow. There was a blur, and then another rogue was there, a blood elf, slashing out with his own blades, long golden hair flying behind him like a cloak. In what seemed like the span of a single heartbeat, half a dozen night elves were left bleeding out or spasming in torment on the verdant forest floor.

Finally, the Sentinels rallied. The blood elf vanished at once, but no matter. They would catch him as he fled like the coward he was. They sent a rain of arrows toward the gaps in the trees, but hit nothing. The sin’dorei had eluded them.
In my opinion, the difference between Brooks and Golden is crystal clear. One is poetic, building phrase after phrase, metaphor on metaphor for a bigger, composed construction. The other is rushed and colludes a bunch of events in the same sentence.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:24 PM

Demon Hunter

Well, initial thoughts I guess.

Elegy: Night Elves get beat at their own game in their own house, hard. The depressing tone for the "Alliance perspective" is back too. They do have a fleet at least though, and you could say that the bulk of their forces are enjoying route to Feralas. "Clearing a path" as opposed to "taking the whole thing" is good news too, but Golden so far is repeating everything I hated about Cataclysm.

A Good War: Glad to see Malfurion in action.... like really glad... and with exactly the attitude I would hope for. It remains to be seen if Sylvanas rode to the rescue or laid the same exact trap, but I like what I'm seeing out of this so far at least.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
?
I didn't, I specifically mentioned "getting better at punching things".
And I think it's fine, it's not like RL West came up with Kung Fu or shit either (not that the West didn't have pugilism or grappling but it's kinda low fantasy).
Old 04-06-2018, 12:49 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I don't hate them being the origin, I hate them being the ONLY source. There are tonnes of opportunities for Blizzard to diversify Monks as a class (Pepe has got a fair few in his above post) but instead they just slap a bloody Pandaren in the starting zone and pretend theyve always had a studious following of their one single interpretations and that all the others are somehow anomalies. Where is the Monk version of sunwalkers or dinomancers?

Quote:
?
I didn't, I specifically mentioned "getting better at punching things".
And I think it's fine, it's not like RL West came up with Kung Fu or shit either (not that the West didn't have pugilism or grappling but it's kinda low fantasy).
I personally think its pretty lame that the draenor orcs would need to be told how to punch better by an outsider. Draenor is a way more hostile environment than Pandaria and they did fine by their own fists there. They should have their own trainers.

Last edited by Sa'danak; 04-06-2018 at 12:51 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
The night elven fleet was en route to Feralas.

Tyrande was in Stormwind.

“You are clearing a path,” she murmured, horrified.

I can see the horde employing the following plan

1. threaten Stormwind to raise their defenses there
2. attack Feralas to make the night elven fleet go there
3. with no Night Elven fleet and no Tyrande on the way, burn Teldrassil
Old 04-06-2018, 02:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
A blatant error, yes. The stuff generating the complaints appears to be intentional, hence the concern. How likely is Blizzard to "fix" something they don't see as an error?
No. The only way for it to be removed that was was for it to be intentional. Probably because they forgot the toe back in MoP, and some confused it for a racial feature of Zandalari.

In other news, noticed a slightly interesting quote in the Alpha when you kill certain Wickermen.
Quote:
I return... to Thros...
I assume that's the Drust afterlife.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I personally think its pretty lame that the draenor orcs would need to be told how to punch better by an outsider. Draenor is a way more hostile environment than Pandaria and they did fine by their own fists there. They should have their own trainers.
The AU Shattered Hand are founded on gladiatoral slaves. Just add the mystical Asian stereotype going "hmm grasshopper, but have you truly found your balance?" and you're set.
Idk if you feel like punching a ravager or ogron, knock yourself out.

EQ2 did it by separating the evil Brawlers and the good Monks (one revolving around grappling and just fucking shit up and one being about inner harmony and styles) but WoW went this way.
You'll also have a hard time explaining Brewmaster and Mistweaver without Pandaren and their lore.
On current Alpha you only have like 3 talents specifically mentioning the Celestials (if you ignore talents like Eye of the Tiger as pop culture) and few skills (Flying Serpent Kick for instance).

Also, a lot of classes draw from RTS iconic Heroes with skills like Avatar or Spirit Wolves but those usually fall under the bus.

Last edited by Feltongue; 04-06-2018 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Banished

Quote:
Dat irony.
not really. My stupid shit is meant to be stupid shit, his is meant to be a serious post
Old 04-07-2018, 01:44 AM

Obviously orcish monks are just Blademasters who've decided to forego their blade, hone their bodies and honour all elements, not just air and fire.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Obviously orcish monks are just Blademasters who've decided to forego their blade, hone their bodies and honour all elements, not just air and fire.
This is my headcanon now.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Fistmaster.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:17 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:

Which is good to hear and it's why I'm wanting to know who to tweet and contact so I can ask about making Worgen to be taller than Night Elves to reflect the lore. (Hopefully something that can come with them getting a model update.)

Quote:
"For the first time Jarod had a good look at the long fangs and the sharp claws and the fact that, even while hunched over, all the worgen stood taller than the night elves."

Knaak, Richard A.. World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 242). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Fistmaster.

Speaking of which, I still need the hidden skin on my monk.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Tags
alliance whining, azeroth literally dying, battle for azeroth, for the whored, quilboar bias, world of warcraft