Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is Hunting Fun When Your Prey Doesn't Move?
Yes 1 25.00%
No 3 75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-17-2018, 06:49 AM

Demon Hunter

Undead Icon (War3) Poll: Is Hunting Fun When Your Prey Doesn't Move?

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, yes the same one who would later be shot in Sarajevo, once expressed a desire to go hunting with a machine gun and see all of the forest creatures driven before him.

It would seem to contradict the purpose of a hunt, wouldn't it? Rather than an endeavor involving some measure of skill, our early 20th century friend would have wanted to hold down a trigger and mow down his prey. Perhaps he wasn't a very good hunter, but without putting a moral injunction on it, this question has popped into my mind.

A lot of World PVP leaves us fit to answer the same question - where we certainly have instances of people seeking out blatantly unfair advantages. Back in its heyday, "twinking" primarily fed on gearing up a level 19 player to such a degree that the other undergeared players didn't stand a chance. A max level player seeking out and killing lowbies is a similar phenomenon. I remember an old guild leader of mine saying that he didn't understand why people found that interesting. "It's like shooting an animal that you've already caught in a trap", and yet, clearly, people do find it fun.

Cheat codes exist, power fantasies exist, and while there certainly are people who seek the "thrill of the hunt", it's clear that a substantial group does in fact believe that hunting is fun when your prey doesn't move. I intend to look into this topic in more detail over the next few days, but I'm also interested in what this board in particular thinks.

So, let's hear it. Is hunting fun when your prey doesn't move?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, yes the same one who would later be shot in Sarajevo, once expressed a desire to go hunting with a machine gun and see all of the forest creatures driven before him.

It would seem to contradict the purpose of a hunt, wouldn't it? Rather than an endeavor involving some measure of skill, our early 20th century friend would have wanted to hold down a trigger and mow down his prey. Perhaps he wasn't a very good hunter, but without putting a moral injunction on it, this question has popped into my mind.

A lot of World PVP leaves us fit to answer the same question - where we certainly have instances of people seeking out blatantly unfair advantages. Back in its heyday, "twinking" primarily fed on gearing up a level 19 player to such a degree that the other undergeared players didn't stand a chance. A max level player seeking out and killing lowbies is a similar phenomenon. I remember an old guild leader of mine saying that he didn't understand why people found that interesting. "It's like shooting an animal that you've already caught in a trap", and yet, clearly, people do find it fun.

Cheat codes exist, power fantasies exist, and while there certainly are people who seek the "thrill of the hunt", it's clear that a substantial group does in fact believe that hunting is fun when your prey doesn't move. I intend to look into this topic in more detail over the next few days, but I'm also interested in what this board in particular thinks.

So, let's hear it. Is hunting fun when your prey doesn't move?
Holy shit do you beat around the bush. This is about Sylvanas and the Alliance isn't it? Why not just say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:05 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Holy shit do you beat around the bush. This is about Sylvanas and the Alliance isn't it? Why not just say that?
The fact that you tagged a concept I wasn't explicitly considering demonstrates the broad applicability of the topic.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

He does have a point.

Anyway, it's not about hunting, but dominance.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:45 PM

Elune

As someone who twinked a little bit here and there I think there is a scale to it. When someone is 100% outmatched it becomes boring and a little disgusting, but if you have a clear edge but it is not excessive then that can be very fun. Because it is easy enough to delude yourself that it is your skill which really makes the difference not the inherent difference in power level. And then when you are out there killing easily, killing two at once, turning the tide of the game on your own... that feels good too.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:58 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
As someone who twinked a little bit here and there I think there is a scale to it. When someone is 100% outmatched it becomes boring and a little disgusting, but if you have a clear edge but it is not excessive then that can be very fun. Because it is easy enough to delude yourself that it is your skill which really makes the difference not the inherent difference in power level. And then when you are out there killing easily, killing two at once, turning the tide of the game on your own... that feels good too.
If that's the case, twinking may have been a bad example. I'm referring to a complete power mismatch where the other side has no chance of winning or retreating.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
If that's the case, twinking may have been a bad example. I'm referring to a complete power mismatch where the other side has no chance of winning or retreating.
In a game absolute dominance is boring as I've said. But I think in real life most people shoot for absolute dominance, Sun Tzu said that victorious warriors win first and then go to battle, defeated warriors go to battle first and then seek victory. Basically he said only fight one-sided wars.

It is all about self-delusion though, people want to win and in real life which is so complex and chaotic it is much easier to delude yourself that you won due to your own skill and not circumstance. Like a son of a millionaire who got most of his money, connections, etc from daddy but feels he is successful and superior because of a few minor achievements of his own. And as we know there are legions of such people, who have been shooting fish in a barrel their entire lives but are still firmly convinced of their superiority over the "lower classes." That is just the most blatant example, but there are shades of this in all of us I believe.

However things get more tricky in a game because it is harder to delude yourself. Most games are designed to be fair and enjoyable to both sides and deviation from that in either direction (in or against your favor) can feel bad. That is why twinking may feel good but playing chess against a player who has half his pieces removed at the start feels crappy, it is easier to delude yourself in a complex game like WoW but not so in chess.

So to answer your question, no. Winning when the other side has absolutely no hope is boring, and this holds true a 100x more in a game since as we said real life is more complex and the stakes are infinitely higher and so you take your wins when you can.
Since I am guessing this is all about how the nigh elves are slated to lose, at first I can also say a few words specifically about that. Yes we all know the night elves will lose, but again only at first they will probably recover, but they don't just stand there. They fight, resist and even keep up the fight all over Kalimdor even after their tree burns. In-game we may cut through NPCs like toilet paper but the game still shows a spirited defense. As a Horde player sitting their in front of your computer you know you will win and the content holds no gaming challenge to overcome (from what I've seen) and that may be boring but lorewise the conflict is not one-sided and people can enjoy that lore, on both sides. Plus the fall of the tree is not the end of the war, the war goes on and chances are we will see a repeat of the Siege of Orgrimmar where the Alliance will win and presumably the night elf tree or something like it will get restored.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Idk, it was pretty fun back in WotLK in full heroic ICC gear with my pocket healer carrying entire Wintergrasp matches and camping entire Horde teams in Arathi Basin as a two man team.

Cant really do that anymore. Sigh.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"

Tags
critical thinking, survey