Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Who's the biggest villain in YJ? Has it been revealed?

Most of the villains in JL are cool but not JLU. They made Amazo way too powerful in JLU and he ran away for no logical reason. Also Hades got ass kicked by some stupid armor, what the heck?
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:49 AM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
You're missing out, and I think that you'd really like the show.

It's like Teen Titans in the respect that the leads are younger, but the tone is nothing like the Teen Titans series. It's most similar thematically to the DCU animated movies like Under the Red Hood and Doom.

It is really more of a DCU show and heavily features the Justice League and Batman. It also takes characters that I would have never though I’d be interested in and makes them awesome.
I want to but... Superboy. I really just have never liked Superboy at all.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,372
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Will this show have She-Hulk?


I aint watchin' without She-Hulk.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Posts: 1,968
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

Ok. WTF is this new Ultimate Spiderman.
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I want to but... Superboy. I really just have never liked Superboy at all.
I never liked almost any of the characters they feature, including and especially Superboy, but the show is an amazing reinvention. They gave Superboy a great pathos. I mean they even took a character like Sportsmaster… fucking Sportsmaster… and somehow made him a badass. The creative team is great and I’ve been a Greg Weisman fan since childhood.

Trust me on this one, you should check out the show because I think you’ll like it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:30 AM
Rowan Seven Rowan Seven is offline

Arch-Druid
Rowan Seven's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sea of Dreams
Posts: 1,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
I never liked almost any of the characters they feature, including and especially Superboy, but the show is an amazing reinvention. They gave Superboy a great pathos. I mean they even took a character like Sportsmaster… fucking Sportsmaster… and somehow made him a badass. The creative team is great and I’ve been a Greg Weisman fan since childhood.

Trust me on this one, you should check out the show because I think you’ll like it.
I agree with Gurtogg on this. Young Justice's first season has had a few flops *coughs*Failsafe*coughs* but overall it's been a compelling and well-plotted series. Teen Titans, as fun as the show was, was very clearly a children's cartoon while Young Justice is young adult in tone and features a cast of villains who are actually dangerous, intelligent, and know how to put Xanatos Gambits to good use.

As for Superboy, HalfElfDragon, which version of the character are you familiar with? YJ Superboy came as something of a surprise to me since I knew the 90s Spiderman-clone Superboy and I was initially turned off by the character in Young Justice because of the "angry jock with father issues" vibe I got from him, but the creative staff have given him a good deal more complexity and substance than that as well as a surprisingly intelligent mind when he cares to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Who's the biggest villain in YJ? Has it been revealed?
The Light's leadership was revealed in the episode "Revelation," but whether they're the true "big bads" or a front for Apokolips remains to be seen.
__________________
Edith Wharton - "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Posts: 1,968
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

Just finished watching the EMH Season 2 premiere.

Oh god Doom is awesome. This is the best show ever.
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
The Light's leadership was revealed in the episode "Revelation," but whether they're the true "big bads" or a front for Apokolips remains to be seen.
The Light is a group of villains that function as the main bad guys. It was a bit of mystery through the first season, but they consist of:

SPOILERS







Lex Luthor, Vandal Savage, Ra's al Ghul, Queen Bee, Ocean Master, Brain, and Klarion the Witch Boy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
The Light is a group of villains that function as the main bad guys. It was a bit of mystery through the first season, but they consist of:

SPOILERS







Lex Luthor, Vandal Savage, Ra's al Ghul, Queen Bee, Ocean Master, Brain, and Klarion the Witch Boy.
These guys again, can't they make something like Slade/Brother Blood in Teen Titans?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
Just finished watching the EMH Season 2 premiere.

Oh god Doom is awesome. This is the best show ever.
I'm enjoying the "Secret Invasion" style build up with Skrulls infiltrating everywhere.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
These guys again, can't they make something like Slade/Brother Blood in Teen Titans?
No.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Rowan Seven Rowan Seven is offline

Arch-Druid
Rowan Seven's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sea of Dreams
Posts: 1,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
These guys again, can't they make something like Slade/Brother Blood in Teen Titans?
To be fair, the Light's leadership isn't entirely composed of top-tier villains. Klarion the Witch Boy and Queen Bee were relative unknowns to me before Young Justice, and I hadn't heard much of Ocean Master before YJ either. And as Sportsmaster and Cheshire show, YJ is highlighting several of DC's minor league villains and making them very dangerous in their own right.
__________________
Edith Wharton - "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
To be fair, the Light's leadership isn't entirely composed of top-tier villains. Klarion the Witch Boy and Queen Bee were relative unknowns to me before Young Justice, and I hadn't heard much of Ocean Master before YJ either. And as Sportsmaster and Cheshire show, YJ is highlighting several of DC's minor league villains and making them very dangerous in their own right.
If you’re a DCU villain not primarily from Batman or Superman’s rogues gallery, then odds are you are relatively unknown to the general public.

One thing YJ has done exceptionally well is make unfamiliar or passingly familiar characters more compelling than I’d have thought possible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:03 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

Is there any overlap between the DCAU voice casts and the YJ cast? I'm too lazy to investigate.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Rowan Seven Rowan Seven is offline

Arch-Druid
Rowan Seven's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sea of Dreams
Posts: 1,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Is there any overlap between the DCAU voice casts and the YJ cast? I'm too lazy to investigate.
I don't know about the DCAU, but Josh Keaton of Spectacular Spider-Man fame voices YJ's Black Spider who is such a blatant ripoff of Spiderman that it's hilarious.
__________________
Edith Wharton - "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan Seven View Post
I don't know about the DCAU, but Josh Keaton of Spectacular Spider-Man fame voices YJ's Black Spider who is such a blatant ripoff of Spiderman that it's hilarious.
Yeah, but from what I understand Black Spider's origin has him as a spider that was bitten by a radioactive black man. The character actually is from the comics and was always supposed to be an expy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Is there any overlap between the DCAU voice casts and the YJ cast? I'm too lazy to investigate.
The voice cast is very impressive. How about Danny Trejo as Bane? I thought that was cool.

Weisman tends to use the same people (Gargoyles, Spectacular Spider-man), and for some reason has heavy Star Trek cast overlap. Brent Spiner played the Joker, for example. Here’s a chart courtesy of wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_We..._collaborators

Also, Batman is voiced by the same guy who did Batman for Under the Red Hood.
__________________

Last edited by Gurtogg_Bloodboil; 04-01-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM
HalfElfDragon HalfElfDragon is offline

The draconic Titleless - Mod
HalfElfDragon's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 15,533
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Default

I dunno, man. I can't imagine that not feeling weird to me. I literally can't read a Batman comic without hearing Kevin Conroy's voice in my head.
__________________
Quote:
Lucio Benado be wanting to say, Hey, what's up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I dunno, man. I can't imagine that not feeling weird to me. I literally can't read a Batman comic without hearing Kevin Conroy's voice in my head.
What about when you watched Dark Knight?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Rowan Seven Rowan Seven is offline

Arch-Druid
Rowan Seven's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sea of Dreams
Posts: 1,144

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I dunno, man. I can't imagine that not feeling weird to me. I literally can't read a Batman comic without hearing Kevin Conroy's voice in my head.
Hearing other people voice Batman and the Joker felt a bit weird to me too at first, but I emphasize to myself that Young Justice takes place in its own, separate universe from the DCAU and try to appreciate the voice actors on their own merits. Brent Spiner's Joker sounded different than Mark Hamill's Joker and came across differently too as a character, for example, but he was still the Joker and I could enjoy Brent Spiner's take on him. Most if not all of YJ's voice acting is very good (Crispin Freeman as Red Arrow makes me grin because of all the other characters he's voiced), and I'd say it's definitely worth the initial weirdness of adjusting to the new voices.
__________________
Edith Wharton - "There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it."
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,506

Default

So... Ultimate Spider-Man? Verdict?

I am fine with all of it, except I am guessing that the story will never be more serious than this, which is disappointing.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Posts: 1,968
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
So... Ultimate Spider-Man? Verdict?

I am fine with all of it, except I am guessing that the story will never be more serious than this, which is disappointing.
I'm gonna watch a few more episodes, but this first one was tooooo comedic and childish for my tastes.
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Talk about Ra's al Ghul, is Liam Leeson gonna return in Batman: Dark Knight rises?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 PM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,392

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
I'm gonna watch a few more episodes, but this first one was tooooo comedic and childish for my tastes.
I tend to agree, more so on the childish part. I am fine with comedy, and the Brave and the Bold was full of it. By tBatB had a kind of adult sophistication that I don't see in Ultimate Spidey. I mean, making a point of replacing DiMaggio as Aquaman’s voice with Ted McGinley and then having Ted defend his shark-jumping career based on Married… With Children? That shit was amazing. Ultimate Spider-man seems more like just wacky kid stuff without much crossover appeal for a mature audience.

The wackiness also doesn’t really serve to differentiate it enough from the last Spider-man series, which appears to have been much superior. USM therefore comes across as not terribly original or compelling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:21 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,506

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Talk about Ra's al Ghul, is Liam Leeson gonna return in Batman: Dark Knight rises?
Yes, but he still spells his name correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
I tend to agree, more so on the childish part. I am fine with comedy, and the Brave and the Bold was full of it. By tBatB had a kind of adult sophistication that I don't see in Ultimate Spidey. I mean, making a point of replacing DiMaggio as Aquaman’s voice with Ted McGinley and then having Ted defend his shark-jumping career based on Married… With Children? That shit was amazing. Ultimate Spider-man seems more like just wacky kid stuff without much crossover appeal for a mature audience.

The wackiness also doesn’t really serve to differentiate it enough from the last Spider-man series, which appears to have been much superior. USM therefore comes across as not terribly original or compelling.
That's what I think too. I feel bad, I'm not sure how I will be phrasing my opinion on it. I just expected better.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Falarson Falarson is offline

Arch-Druid
Falarson's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Asunción, Paraguay
Posts: 1,968
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
I tend to agree, more so on the childish part. I am fine with comedy, and the Brave and the Bold was full of it. By tBatB had a kind of adult sophistication that I don't see in Ultimate Spidey. I mean, making a point of replacing DiMaggio as Aquaman’s voice with Ted McGinley and then having Ted defend his shark-jumping career based on Married… With Children? That shit was amazing. Ultimate Spider-man seems more like just wacky kid stuff without much crossover appeal for a mature audience.

The wackiness also doesn’t really serve to differentiate it enough from the last Spider-man series, which appears to have been much superior. USM therefore comes across as not terribly original or compelling.
I found the comedic style very similar to Teen Titans, sans the badassery. Actually, you can call this Marvel Teen Titans - Starring Ultimate Spider-Man. I found Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Tigra and Nova quite weird for the team setup. What can I say? I guess I like Spidey better when he goes solo.
__________________

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-03-2012, 06:55 PM
AndyJP AndyJP is offline

Eternal
AndyJP's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 2021
Posts: 4,506

Default

I guess this wasn't an April Fools joke. I bet they make Batman a teen, too. All of the superheroes have to be teens now, for some reason. It didn't matter to me when I was a kid. I didn't watch Batman: TAS for Robin, or the animated X-Men for Jubilee. Sure there might have been Power Rangers, but I couldn't see myself identifying with high school students when I was in 3rd grade.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cartoons

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.