Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 AM

Arch-Druid

I know I'm not a mod, but I'm with Al and Tim. This crusade against everything Rob does is bordering on laughable.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:50 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

I'd warned him multiple times about it (via the forum and PM's) and he refused to listen. Normally, I'd agree, going off-topic is a staple of SoL, but in this case Rob would interject his expansion ideas when and where they didn't belong simply because he felt he could. I'm not saying he shouldn't post these kinds of ideas, but he shouldn't place them in every single thread ad infinitum as if he's advertising his own game.

In any case, the suspension will end in a reasonable period of time, and I'm not going to push the issue after he returns.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Needless to say, I think that personal vendettas, or rather, when people get annoyed by others here, it is more of a personal issue. My point though, is that the five rules you've posted on this very thread have not been violated.

I therefore have to assume that RobLore was banned for three days because of a personal issue, which is not a violation of the rules, and is therefore not a reason to use moderation powers to strike at the fool.

Of course, some would say I am one to talk, because as Drz would say "NO U", but I still think that in RobLore's case, you should just ignore him.

If you don't want to read his posts there is a solution.

Now Cantus, I do want you to fully understand that I completely respect you and would never have it any other way, but I do think that in this case, RobLore was wrongly accused and I think you should have acted another in way, namely, with the ignore option. It was not a breach of the rules you've pinned up.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:34 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas View Post
Needless to say, I think that personal vendettas, or rather, when people get annoyed by others here, it is more of a personal issue. My point though, is that the five rules you've posted on this very thread have not been violated.

I therefore have to assume that RobLore was banned for three days because of a personal issue, which is not a violation of the rules, and is therefore not a reason to use moderation powers to strike at the fool.

Of course, some would say I am one to talk, because as Drz would say "NO U", but I still think that in RobLore's case, you should just ignore him.

If you don't want to read his posts there is a solution.

Now Cantus, I do want you to fully understand that I completely respect you and would never have it any other way, but I do think that in this case, RobLore was wrongly accused and I think you should have acted another in way, namely, with the ignore option. It was not a breach of the rules you've pinned up.
This is an open thread for a reason, I expect and encourage people to publicly challenge rulings (because yeah, any mod can be an arrogant asshole) so I'm more than happy to (publicly) hear your criticism Tim.

In this case, it's interpretation of the rules, where you see spamming as advertisements only and I see it as people acting like forum trolls over a period of several months or more. To me Rob had such actions, and despite being warned continued them. It isn't a bannable offense (like say spamming advertisments) but it's still something I feel should be controlled if done past the point of reason or humor.

Edit: And I nearly forgot to mention, I refuse to Ignore any single poster, because it's simply useful for a Mod to do so. If I were a regular poster, I'd have had him on ignore for the last six months, but that's not the case.

Also, I don't need to mention my reciprocated respect, but it's there nonetheless.

Last edited by Cantus; 08-15-2009 at 04:37 PM..
Old 08-15-2009, 04:40 PM

Elune

First of all Timolas, don't put words to other person's mouths. Second the reason i question your moderator behaviour is because you seem to get carried away with it, in the mmo-champion thread you just go and call them fucks, i mean imagen a new person coming here and hearing a moderator calling another site fucks for absolutely ridicilous reason? It doesn't give a good image at all, i mean remember when Omacron acted like the spokesperson in WoWinsider? >_>

So yeah, i critize you abit hard perhaps, but instead of going putting words in my mouth, how about taking a breath, think of a message, and discuss this thru? Also i'm not taunting you as you seem to think, ofcourse it is your perspective and i understand that, but it's in my perspective more of: a concerned forum user being skeptic regarding one's moderator responsibilities.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:44 PM

Eternal

He wasn't putting words in your mouth, he was saying that you probably would call him a hypocrite for admonishing Cantus for a minor power abuse, and you have done similar things before. Don't be dramatic, please.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

I wanna ask this: Isn't it outright spamming that xie posts an essay or a Kaiju pic on one thread and a post saying "I POSTED AN ESSAY OR A KAIJU PIC!" in another?

I mean, I don't post "I updated Stonetear" on the spam thread each time that happens. People who care can see that the thread has a new post by me.

And yes, I know he's Chinese, but I still haven't understood why that gives him privileges.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.

Last edited by Kerrah; 08-26-2009 at 01:02 AM..
Old 08-26-2009, 01:00 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
I wanna ask this: Isn't it outright spamming that xie posts an essay or a Kaiju pic on one thread and a post saying "I POSTED AN ESSAY OR A KAIJU PIC!" in another?

I mean, I don't post "I updated Stonetear" on the spam thread each time that happens. People who care can see that the thread has a new post by me.

And yes, I know he's Chinese, but I still haven't understood why that gives him privileges over the rules.
He's typically kept it to the spam threads (which were designed exactly for such content as is implied in their names) and his own creations as opposed to absolutely everywhere. That said, yeah I was hoping he'd take a cue from the rules and what happened to Rob without anyone saying it directly...hasn't happened yet but one can hope. Plus in light of my sometime abuse of power I've made it a rule (of myself) that I'm going to wait at least six months from the point of minor excesses to take any official action (warnings) and another month or two after that for people to shape up before actual consequences occur. That way the community can police themselves (as Keith/Warlock intended) instead of becoming a mod state (which is the inherent danger of giving 18-23 kids with a new found access to alcohol any sort of power.)

Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Frankly, I don't understand WHY the fuck he posts more about ultraman than warcraft on a warcraft board.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Frankly, I don't understand WHY the fuck he posts more about ultraman than warcraft on a warcraft board.
Why does Mark obsess about LotR games on a WC board? Why do I always start into socio-political discussions at the drop of a hat on a WC board? Why...this could go on forever. The kid's interested in other things just like we all are, and he feels it's viable to share his interests despite almost none of us being familiar with them because we've become a damn close community and that's what friends tend to do.

Could he tone it down, definitely, but I'm not going to fault him for being excited about things outside a single video game (just hope he takes a hint at no one responding to his ultraman threads.)

Rob was a different case, he refused to listen to anyone even mods acting within reasonable authority (i.e. my telling him to stop bringing discussions back to his own thoughts and threads most of the time he posted). So long as Xie doesn't derail threads for his own personal interests I won't do anything to stop him.

Kerrah: I forgot to mention, yes I've been keeping track of Xie's posts for awhile now, because we all get a bit carried away if we're too comfortable in a setting, so don't worry about me picking favorites or anything like that.

Roblore: If you're reading this kid, don't be afraid to speak up if you feel slighted at being suspended when other people seem to be getting off scot free. Whether you've matured or feel more wary of this forum since your return, the quality and content of your posts have improved greatly (not to mention respect for other posters) and believe me we've all noticed (and appreciate it.) You can still post your off the wall thoughts as always, just, as I said previously, don't steer other conversations into it. (Hell some of your thoughts and opinions seem to have been brought into the next expack so we can't exactly say they're all bad.)

Old 10-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Suggestion: Make a rule against flaming. One doesn't exist right now.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:43 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

We're working on it.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
We're working on it.

Richard Simmons is in before his ban.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

/head shake facepalm

Oye...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

You get the rule, or the rule gets you.

By get I mean the rule punchs you in the back.

We should get one about grammar, anyway. Grammar correcting tools and dictionaries exist.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-06-2009, 07:03 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
You get the rule, or the rule gets you.

By get I mean the rule punchs you in the back.

We should get one about grammar, anyway. Grammar correcting tools and dictionaries exist.
Or spellcheck. See I don't even know if I spelled that right.

Last edited by Rolandius; 10-06-2009 at 07:05 AM..
Old 10-08-2009, 09:03 AM

Elune

Add a note to the rule about doubleposting, saying users should edit their own double posts before the next message on that same thread.

The 24h thing is just shit, because he could have doubleposted just before going offline 30h or something.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Add a note to the rule about doubleposting, saying users should edit their own double posts before the next message on that same thread.

The 24h thing is just shit, because he could have doubleposted just before going offline 30h or something.
Done.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Elune

Anyway:

Real reasons for banishing Revrant?

Just thought it a bit drastic, considering we have had way worse users, that still are active.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Elune

So how long did we ban Revrant? 3 days?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:22 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

25 posts and he was already being on their level. Perfect way to start here.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

I think it was because his insults ware partly rather strong and because he used the "Wah, but you started insulting!" excuse even though that were pretty weak "insults" and though he started it.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Elune

Personally i'm fine with the slight ban, but how long is it? If he doesn't change i wouldn't care if he gets permament banned.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Third post in his thread and he starts a fucking war, defies mod ruling, insults mod, and continues insulting other members while playing the victim.

EDIT: Ban time is secret.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Anyway:

Real reasons for banishing Revrant?

Just thought it a bit drastic, considering we have had way worse users, that still are active.
Reciprocity with MMO-Champion?

The guy came in here calling everyone stupid in his first 10 posts. You can't have a healthy debate with someone who won't even grant you the smallest modicum of respect.

Whether it's a perma-ban or just a short-term suspension, he's on my ignore list, so I don't care either way.

Tags
administrators, admins, assing, moderations, moderators, mods, no gifs allowed, regulations, rules, scrolls of lore, serious business, tag police