Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
That's exactly it. Nye has FAR more experience and knowledge than Rowe does yet because Rowe says what they want conservatives heed him.

It's like with Conservatives who believe Robert Spencer. The man has no peer reviewed papers, no degrees in the subject of Islam and no diplomas....yet apparently conservatives heed him over the countless experts who have those things but disagree with him
You know you are using the same argument that the religious right used against the early skeptic community, right? It was bunk then, and its bunk now.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:00 PM

Elune

I don't really care about peer reviewed papers or degrees in that subject though. I don't even know who Robert Spencer is.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
You know you are using the same argument that the religious right used against the early skeptic community, right? It was bunk then, and its bunk now.
Elaborate?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
That's exactly it. Nye has FAR more experience and knowledge than Rowe does yet because Rowe says what they want conservatives heed him.

It's like with Conservatives who believe Robert Spencer. The man has no peer reviewed papers, no degrees in the subject of Islam and no diplomas....yet apparently conservatives heed him over the countless experts who have those things but disagree with him
I'm unfamiliar with this Spencer and Lewis thing. What's the issue?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Elaborate?
That skeptics of various walks didnt have the right or the understanding to talk about the various denominations because they lacked the required level of theological and traditionally intellectual (read as the various degrees and course on christianity et all) education to be able to condemn or even complain about it
Old 06-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Banished

The only Spencer that comes to mind is the White Power one who non-ironically says the Ancient Egyptians were White. When we know from their art and Copts that they weren't.

Anyway, the Red States have been holding America back long enough. Go look up how much money less contributing states (a lot of which are Red) suck off the more contributing ones.

Last edited by Almed; 06-16-2017 at 06:20 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
The only Spencer that comes to mind is the White Power one who non-ironically says the Ancient Egyptians were White. When we know from their art and Copts that they weren't.

Anyway, the Red States have been holding America back long enough.

Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon, depending on theory, are often considered caucasion, and its the closest (to be fair, of one location in central egypt) to Egyptians over the course of 1300 years, taken from mummies

In fact, todays egyptians share a much closer genetic link to central africa than the mummies tested.

So, depending on what this spencer fellow means by white, he's not wrong. PJ herself is a stereotypical blue eyed blond girl of lebonese (If I am remembering right) origin.

But, using todays parlance, they were probably closer to middle eastern ala Syria, Turkey, ect.

EDIT: This isnt the King Tut was of Nordic blood guy, is it? Because that guys an idiot

Last edited by Ruinshin; 06-16-2017 at 06:18 PM..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Elune

I am only like 1/8th Lebanese. I am mostly German/Polish/some kind of British.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:32 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Turkey, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon, depending on theory, are often considered caucasion, and its the closest (to be fair, of one location in central egypt) to Egyptians over the course of 1300 years, taken from mummies

In fact, todays egyptians share a much closer genetic link to central africa than the mummies tested.

So, depending on what this spencer fellow means by white, he's not wrong. PJ herself is a stereotypical blue eyed blond girl of lebonese (If I am remembering right) origin.

But, using todays parlance, they were probably closer to middle eastern ala Syria, Turkey, ect.

EDIT: This isnt the King Tut was of Nordic blood guy, is it? Because that guys an idiot
Blonde/blue-eyed would've been the minority population at that time. Even during Roman occupation, darker (aka Mediterranean) features would've been the predominant group. Among those were caucasians, but that's a very muddled personage in and of itself. Really, the term caucasian is out of date and only carries over due to Western impressions on "whiteness" as opposed to the much broader genetic categories that encompass the Mid-East, North Africa, and the former Soviet "stan" regions.

Nordic style blonde/blue-eyed genetics would've been much rarer just by virtue of their recessive nature and lack of a consistent population settling/surviving in that region. More than likely, the shift towards a significant nordic/germanic genetic group would've only occurred after colonization by European crusaders. It's also important to note that quite a few modern day Lebanese (male or female) are bottle blondes due to Americanization of beauty standards. If you looked under the hood (so to speak) you'd see a mismatch.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Banished

Quote:

Coptic Christians (found in Sudan and Egypt) range from brown to yellow.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Wasn't Ramses II a ginger or something?
Member #14
Old 06-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
Blonde/blue-eyed would've been the minority population at that time. Even during Roman occupation, darker (aka Mediterranean) features would've been the predominant group. Among those were caucasians, but that's a very muddled personage in and of itself. Really, the term caucasian is out of date and only carries over due to Western impressions on "whiteness" as opposed to the much broader genetic categories that encompass the Mid-East, North Africa, and the former Soviet "stan" regions.

Nordic style blonde/blue-eyed genetics would've been much rarer just by virtue of their recessive nature and lack of a consistent population settling/surviving in that region. More than likely, the shift towards a significant nordic/germanic genetic group would've only occurred after colonization by European crusaders. It's also important to note that quite a few modern day Lebanese (male or female) are bottle blondes due to Americanization of beauty standards. If you looked under the hood (so to speak) you'd see a mismatch.
I was using that as an example. In reality, any blonde hair would more likely be a natural occurance similar to blonde hair in the Soloman Isles.

In fact, only in the last year or two has opinion shifted from Blonde and red haired mummies being a result of the mummification process to ancient egyptions actually having naturally blonde or red hair.

Though yes, If I had to guess on the time frame, I'd be willing to bet it was when Egypt was under Greek rule for any significant group.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Elune

As long as someone doesn't think I should feel bad for being blonde like Rachel Dolezal I don't care.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
Coptic Christians (found in Sudan and Egypt) range from brown to yellow.
And?

Quote:
Wasn't Ramses II a ginger or something
?

Fair skinned and red hair, yes.

Not that any of this "really" matters, but I was just adding in a bit I found interesting.

The evidence we have now says the groups I listed are the closest, at least in that area tested, with an unbroken line of about 1300 years.

Which again, depending on who is asked, gets them classified as white. Arabs are considered "white" by law as well
Old 06-16-2017, 06:57 PM

Elune

In Europe(at least the UK) Arabs are usually considered Asian AFAIK.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 PM

World Builder

Quote:
That skeptics of various walks didnt have the right or the understanding to talk about the various denominations because they lacked the required level of theological and traditionally intellectual (read as the various degrees and course on christianity et all) education to be able to condemn or even complain about it
That's not what he's saying from what i understand, it's that it's hypocritical of people to decry Bill Nye and liberals on those grounds but give conservatives a pass

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's not what he's saying from what i understand, it's that it's hypocritical of people to decry Bill Nye and liberals on those grounds but give conservatives a pass
I don't decry Bill Nye because he is an engineer. I just think he is wrong about a lot of stuff. His show on Netflix is really silly too. Just look how absurd this video is.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
In Europe(at least the UK) Arabs are usually considered Asian AFAIK.
US has them caucasian. I think UK does, but I admit im not sure.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't decry Bill Nye because he is an engineer. I just think he is wrong about a lot of stuff. His show on Netflix is really silly too. Just look how absurd this video is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m53lNTdyPg
She has a song about a 12 year old fucking her in a fantasy.

She skeeves me out.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Banished

Quote:
And?
They're apparently the best representation of Egyptians before Islam.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Bill Nye as a scientist and engineer is someone you should listen to. Bill Nye as a sociologist or media personality is not.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
She has a song about a 12 year old fucking her in a fantasy.

She skeeves me out.
I liked this video compilation of the youtube comments towards it.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:18 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Yoggy was bringing up two different topics: scientific facts, and religious expertise. Bill Nye has controversy around him, but not regarding his interpretation of Islam.

When discussing religion, I'm not necessarily more impressed by someone who has more academic degrees.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 PM

Elune

I don't even know what the apprenticeship program has to do with Bill Nye.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
I don't even know what the apprenticeship program has to do with Bill Nye.
You dismiss him for talking about science things when he's an engineer. You brought up a communications major talking about the job market, which is clearly not his specialty and his opinion, by your logic, should be disregarded.
Member #14

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president