Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Arch-Druid

Default Knaak - Submit questions

Richard A. Knaak is on a Book Signing Tour through Europe. A fan will make a video interview from Slovakia on my behalf.

I am taking questions from fans. Please post them below.

You may ask about previous novels or upcoming novels.

World of Warcraft: Night of the Dragon (2008)
Wow Burning Crusade Manga (Untitled, 2008) - Jorad Mace and Tyri go to Outland
War of the Ancients Trilogy
Warcraft Manga: The Sunwell Trilogy
Diablo: The Sin War Trilogy
etc.

EUROPE SCHEDULE

September 14-16
ISTROCON / COMIC SALON 2007 (Special Guest)
SUZA in Bratislava, Slovakia

September 17th at 2-5 pm
Arrakis Bookstore
Veveri 24 (street address)
Brno, Czech Republic
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Loremaster

First off I'de like to say that I enjoy Knaak's novels, his Diablo novels to me are better than his Warcraft novels because he uses the same two in each one, it's all about Rhonin and Krasus. Which are cool but get stale sometimes.

My question is this, would he consider ever writting a Warcraft novel that focused on something besides Dragons? Like maybe another original tale with new characters like in Day of the Dragon (one of my favs)
Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DrunkenPanda#1589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzuki View Post
First off I'de like to say that I enjoy Knaak's novels, his Diablo novels to me are better than his Warcraft novels because he uses the same two in each one, it's all about Rhonin and Krasus. Which are cool but get stale sometimes.

My question is this, would he consider ever writting a Warcraft novel that focused on something besides Dragons? Like maybe another original tale with new characters like in Day of the Dragon (one of my favs)
Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys Knaak. I just got into the longest argument in the General Forums (In the same thread Medievalboy created) about Rhonin.

Anyways, I guess I'll ask a couple of questions here.

When are we going to hear more about Night of the Dragon and its release?

Will the new BC manga deal with how the War of Magic starts?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Do you tell Metz wat to do, or doe he tell you?
Old 09-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Loremaster

Well for one thing people excuse Knaak of abuse with the characters of the Aspects, when what they don't realize is that he helped Metzen CREATE the Aspects, aside from Alex and Nel that is.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Well for one thing people excuse Knaak of abuse with the characters of the Aspects, when what they don't realize is that he helped Metzen CREATE the Aspects, aside from Alex and Nel that is.
True.

My big argument was how Rhonin could have been stronger than Illidan in the War of the Ancients trilogy. Someone was arguing that Illidan should be vastly more powerful because he's had far more time to learn how to command the energies of the Well of Eternity than Rhonin has.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
True.

My big argument was how Rhonin could have been stronger than Illidan in the War of the Ancients trilogy. Someone was arguing that Illidan should be vastly more powerful because he's had far more time to learn how to command the energies of the Well of Eternity than Rhonin has.
that's not entirely true.

Consider this that compared to the magi of Dalaran or the magi of Quel'Thalas, the knowledge of the arcane that the night elves had was laughable. Sure Illidan might have had more raw power than Rhonin, but would he have had the training or knowledge to use it? He wasn't Highborne so he wouldn't have had access to formal training in the magical arts.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
that's not entirely true.

Consider this that compared to the magi of Dalaran or the magi of Quel'Thalas, the knowledge of the arcane that the night elves had was laughable. Sure Illidan might have had more raw power than Rhonin, but would he have had the training or knowledge to use it? He wasn't Highborne so he wouldn't have had access to formal training in the magical arts.
No, you misunderstood. I argued that Rhonin SHOULD have been more powerful than Illidan because of his knowledge. The guy I was arguing against kept saying that because Illidan was far older than Rhonin and had direct access to the Well, he should have had far more knowledge of the Arcane than Rhonin. He also argued that the Night Elves were far more advanced in their knowledge of magic than Dalaran.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwind View Post
No, you misunderstood. I argued that Rhonin SHOULD have been more powerful than Illidan because of his knowledge. The guy I was arguing against kept saying that because Illidan was far older than Rhonin and had direct access to the Well, he should have had far more knowledge of the Arcane than Rhonin. He also argued that the Night Elves were far more advanced in their knowledge of magic than Dalaran.
Haha, that kinda is funny. I look at the Kaldorei magi as this. They had probably more raw POWER due to having direct access to the Well, but lacked the knowledge of Dalaran and Quel'Thalas who have had time to study and examine that magic.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Haha, that kinda is funny. I look at the Kaldorei magi as this. They had probably more raw POWER due to having direct access to the Well, but lacked the knowledge of Dalaran and Quel'Thalas who have had time to study and examine that magic.
That was my argument. He just kept going on and on about how I was wrong and how the Kaldorei civilization was the most powerful magical civilization ever. Of course, he never had any proof to back up this assertion, but that's the short of it.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:58 PM

Loremaster

Truly, even the official history on Blizz's site says that, rather than refining their magic on a practical level, the Highborne were pretty much all about acquiring more, more, more without bothering to hone and perfect what they already had.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Truly, even the official history on Blizz's site says that, rather than refining their magic on a practical level, the Highborne were pretty much all about acquiring more, more, more without bothering to hone and perfect what they already had.
And this is why I like discussing lore here. Even when people disagree with me, at least they know what they're talking about.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Eternal

Ask why he hates women, and if he plans to get over himself or keep writing them as either damsels in distress or shameless whores.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 PM

Ranger

- We know certain character of yours is the leader of the Kirin Tor's expedition on Northrend. Was Rhonin appointed by Runeweaver and the remmanent of the Council of Six or how he rised to that position? Is possible we might learn more about it in "Night of the Dragon"?

or shorter

- Rhonin is the leader of the Kirin Tor on Northrend accordin to WotLK. Did his superiors appointed him for it? Is possible we might learn more about it in "Night of the Dragon"?

Or

- We know certain character of yours has been appointed as the leader of the Kirin Tor in Norhtrend as the War on Magic has begun. Is possible we might learn more about the backgraound behind these events in "Night of the Dragon" or the manga?

[I'm not a native english speaker, so I maye be writting inaccurately these questions. If any of you see any error, please tell me if you will. ]

A lot of thanks for this opportunity, Medievaldragon! And the same goes for that Slovakian fan.

PD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephalim View Post
Ask why he hates women, and if he plans to get over himself or keep writing them as either damsels in distress or shameless whores.
One of the main criticisms of the Warcraft's community is that, according to some readers, you haven't showed any "strong women" yet. Rumor says* you plan to change that perception. Is it true?

* A rumor which started just now.

Last edited by Nerub29; 09-12-2007 at 02:28 AM..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Will you ever write something that does not include Rhonin or Borel/Korialstrasz/Krasus?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Eternal

Which is it that prompts you to disregard the existing history surrounding every character, event, and era you touch: pride, ignorance, or apathy?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Eternal

Come on Neph, do you have to contribute to every Knaak thread like this?

- Considering that Kalecgos´ name is already referred in World of Warcraft in epic items, do you know if he will appear in the game as a npc sometime in the future, maybe in the future Sunwell plateau where Kil´jaeden is being summoned?

- Will the storyline in the new manga involving Tiry and Jorad Mace be related to their questlines in the World of Warcraft?

Darkwind already asked about Day of the Dragon, so i would just be repeating him.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious View Post
Come on Neph, do you have to contribute to every Knaak thread like this?
I'm of the mind that Knaak is ruining Warcraft (not singlehandedly, mind you but he's certainly a hefty contributor) and every time he makes something new, it just validates that conclusion further. You're within your rights to feel differently, and, if you have arguments to raise against me, to argue the point. However it would be something of a self-betrayal were I to not contribute to every Knaak thread like this.

And these are, I should note, serious questions I would love to hear him answer.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Knaak is great.

1- Would we know more about Deathwing's new lair in NotD?
2- Would your new books retcon something essencial of the lore?
3- When is going to happen NotD?
4- How do you know Metzen and the Warcraft franchise?
5- Any tips for writing cool books like you?
6- If you help Metzen with the lore, why don't you work in Blizzard? (You would be great lore-designer :p)

Thanks .

Greetings.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-12-2007, 09:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Knaak is great.
Counterpoint: He is not.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Alright, gathered most of your questions, including one of ... Neph's to my dismay.

Feel free to add more. I'm sending off the questions pretty soon.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:32 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

Neph, I agree with you to a degree, but I think being a bit more... tactful... would get you better results.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
Neph, I agree with you to a degree, but I think being a bit more... tactful... would get you better results.
You should've seen my first drafts.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Here's the question in everyone's minds:

What's the deal with the dragons?

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Any Warcraft lore crafter is great... Well, sometimes no xD

1- Who were the ones whispering to Neltharion? (I know they were old gods, but what of them?)

2- What did Anveena to Korialstrasz to make Dar'khan able to control him?

3- What specie of trolls are Snee and Voll?

4- What was Groth's clan? Is Groth Black skinned?

5- Harkyn, Loggi and all the dwarves of Sunwell trilogy are from the Wildhammer?

6- Are your Highmountains linked between?

7- Valimar Mordis cames from Perenolde? The keep in Alterac mountains is the ruins of Alterac? Is he a forsaken?

8- What specie of demon is Hakkar? Why don't you speak about Azzinoth?

9- What's the mount of Dar'khan?

10- Where was located Anveenas house?

11- With Malygos crazy, all the blue dragons are going to became mad too?

12- Where was located Deathwings lair in War of the Ancients trilogy?

13- What was doing Sylvanas in Sunwell plateau when she met Dar'khan? (Alone while some people wants she dead?)

14- Where is the place of Broxigar's orcish partners fall?

15- What is the island in the beggining of War of the Ancients trilogy? (When Korialstrasz and Rhonin are in their way to Kalimdor)

16- Where entered Broxigar, Rhonin and Korialstrasz the time rift? (Location, don't forget it had snow)

17- Where is located Cenarius grove? The same place as Warcraft 3? (South Hyjal)

18- Gaskal is dead, or he has been teleported to another time just like Brox?

Greetings.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 09-12-2007 at 10:14 AM..