Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-06-2014, 05:53 PM

Wisp

Question Guldan's coma and Orgrim becoming warchief

I'm starting to read more about WoW lore. I've just read Rise of the Horde and The Last Guardian. Now I'm reading Tides of Darkness and I saw that right at the beginning of it Orgrim is warchief. I already knew that would happen from websites, but where is that story told? What book or comic narrates how Orgrim became warchief? The same question goes to Guldan. I know that he fell into a coma for being in Medivh's head when he was killed, but where is this story told?

I was expecting to read about this in The Last Guardian side it happens during the First War, but that's not the case.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Druid of the Claw
BattleTag: Sceptrum#2924

Warcraft 2 manual had it told from Gul'dan's perspective. Can't remember what retcons if any there was.

And not every story is told in novels either or given major coverage.

Last edited by Sceptrum; 05-06-2014 at 06:26 PM..
Old 05-06-2014, 07:45 PM

Loremaster

Pretty sure the Tides of Darkness novelization includes Gul'dan's retrospective on the affair, given that it pretty much starts right around when he's waking up and finding out just how much has changed and how screwed he is (or rather, should have been.)

Otherwise I think the WC 2 manual is the only "real-time" accounting of it; ToD refers to those events in the past tense while dealing primarily with the aftermath.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:02 PM

Echo of the Past

Here's a link to the Warcraft II manual with Gul'dan's perspective: http://wowpedia.org/Warcraft_II_manual#The_First_War_of_Orcish_Ascensi on

The Last Guardian isn't a comprehensive story of the First War; it focuses primarily on Khadgar's perspective which also shows us Medivh and Garona, and to a lesser extent Lothar, and to an even lesser extent a tiny glimpse of Llane and Gul'dan.

(And it's a little unreliable on the lore. It gets some details wrong in saying that Dalaran is part of kingdom of Lordaeron and that the Stormreaver Clan predates the portal--that's why you see Gul'dan form the Stormreaver Clan in Tides of Darkness. It also sticks Blackhand's rise at the very very end of the First War, later than the RTS games had it.

I still maintain it's the best Warcraft novel.)

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-07-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Tags
blackhand, guldan, orgrim