Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 04-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Druid of the Talon

Default Attempt at a Map of Hearthglen

I decided to make a map of Hearthglen in an attempt to reconcile it between the World of Warcraft appearance and how it appeared in Warcraft 3. For scale I estimated that prior to the Third War Hearthglen supported around 5000 people, and crossing that with Medieval Demographics Made Easy I came up with the entire town occupying about 83 acres. Some things to note that went into the map:
  • I changed the layout of the mountains to imply that there’s some land between Hearthglen and the coast. This also allows for a more sensible approach to Stratholme for Arthas to take rather than purposefully detouring into a dead end and allowed for the later Scarlet Crusade to have access to the Scarlet Monastery without Scourge or Forsaken harassment. It also provides an area for there to be villages north of the town, which can be clearly seen in the Warcraft 3 mission.
  • I intended the area around the blacksmith and mine to be an industrial area, with bigger buildings and fields to work in.
  • There’s two lumber mills, one where it was in Warcraft 3 and another near the south entrance where it is in World of Warcraft. There is also a blacksmith area where there was one in Warcraft 3, but I turned that into an armory for the nearby barracks/garrison.
  • Mardenholde Keep is based more on Warcraft 2′s keep design than Warcraft 3′s in an attempt to reconcile how it appeared as a barracks in World of Warcraft yet is referred to as a keep.
  • I turned the building that looked like a town hall into a church, and I added another church/shrine area up north where the Tomb of Ancient Kings was in Warcraft 3.
  • The highlighted areas are main roads going through the town.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Eternal

That's awesome! I did a similar thing with Suramar a while back, although not so detailed.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

This is great! It is things like this which I think Warcraft is sorely missing.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Tags
cartography, warcraft