Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 03-18-2015, 02:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It is the mark of a poor writer that he must explicitly spell out the age, weight, eye color, blood type, favorite ice cream flavor and life's ambition for the reader to understand a character.
You know you just set yourself up right?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:08 PM

Problemsolver

This story is so film noir that I imagine it in black and white, and read it in a low, gritty voice.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Tome of Knowledge

More pls
Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom The Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction: As Was Foretold

Seated on the other side of a tatty wooden table were two faces.

The first belonged to Sir Cantus, who had been Captain of the Royal Guard until Polk's coronation. Unwilling to carry out the madman's orders, he had been forced to fight his way through his own comrades when the order for his execution was signed. A long scar across his face stood testament to that battle. The second face belonged to the Warlock, a technical genius who for years prior to the ascension of Polk had studied at Sol's famous Academy of Lore. Now he, like the Academy itself, was forced underground by King Polk's insane policies. He never spoke of his real name, if he even had one.

The newcomer paused momentarily in the doorframe, then stepped inside. He smiled amiably at the two conspirators and kicked the door shut with one foot. In the light and without his hat and collar, an observer would see he was a well-groomed young man who in spite of the dapper cut of his beard and whiskers possessed a certain glint of eye that marked him for a killer.

"Gennelmen,"? he said graciously, inclining his head ever so slightly. "Y' picked a good night for it, I'll tell ya that much."? He drew a chair away from the table and took a seat. "M'name's Erthad. The boss sends his regards and wants you to know I'll be negotiatin' anythin' needs negotiatin' between our respective organizations. 'Zat agreeable with you?"

"That's fine,"? said Cantus. "We are grateful for Mr Digger's cooperation in this matter."? Erthad nodded again in recognition of the courtesy. "A connection to the underworld will, I am certain, prove an invaluable aid in our war against the Slow King. When we are victorious there are certain to be... accommodations provided to those who chose the right side."?

Erthad placed his hat on the table and smiled at the captain. "Mr Digger shares your concern for this fine city and is more than happy to do his part to put it back on track. So waddaya need?"

Cantus glanced at the Warlock, who leaned forward across the table, resting his weight on sinewy forearms. "I understand Mr Digger is on... relatively good terms with Mr Hat."

"Mr Hat?"? Erthad cocked his head quizzically. "Well, his boys haven't given us personally much trouble lately, so you might say that. Do I infer youse're looking for a contact with the Pink Hats?"

"Would you be able to arrange such a contact?" asked Cantus.

"Well..."? Erthad paused, considering. "I suppose I can get you talking to a Pink Hat, but I can't guarantee you'll like what they have to say. They're a weird bunch, Hat's lads. As like to kill ya as look at ya, some of 'em."? He scrutinized the Warlock's expression for a moment. "'Course, I 'spect you already know the rumors. Can't tell you one way or another if any of 'em are true, but if you're the kind to set stock by it you'll want to look out for black magic."

The Warlock gave a peculiar little smile and sat back. "Oh, we will." He and Cantus exchanged satisfied looks and Erthad shrugged.

"You know best, o' course."?

"Thank you for your time,"? said Cantus, standing up. "As soon as you've arranged the meeting, send word by the usual channels. The sooner we can get the bastard off that throne the better, and I have a feeling this meeting will go a long way." He extended his hand.

Erthad stood and took it. "Glad I can help, gennelmen. All that remains now is the question of Mr Digger's fee. Promises of... accommodation to those who pick the right side are all well and good, but futures have a way of dryin' up. This ain't a charity we's runnin'."?

Cantus nodded, unperturbed. "Of course. A case containing Mr Digger's standard fare will find its way to his hands within three days. I trust you will find that satisfactory."

"Most satisfactory, and thank you sir. Pleasure doin' business with you, and good luck with those Hats."
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.

Last edited by Anansi; 01-24-2016 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Transcription Error
Old 03-21-2015, 06:38 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ore

Work on your dwarven accent, OP! Who's King Polk?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Work on your dwarven accent, OP! Who's King Polk?
It's not dwarven, it's gangster!

And King Polk is the Slow Polk King of course!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-21-2015, 07:12 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Wait, is this medieval times, or some old school UK shit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Wait, is this medieval times, or some old school UK shit?
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 PM

Elune

This is a weird setting.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:54 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom The Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction: As Was Foretold

The place of the meeting was a seedy bar called the Lamp Post on the very fringe of the Lordaeron slums, close enough to the edge that the occasional respectable visitor accidentally ventured inside. The smell of the interior, by far the most powerful sensation in that dim, thick-beamed chamber, quickly informed them of their mistake, but by that point it was oftentimes too late.

In the darkest corner of the shadowy dive bar sat a slight figure. The shadows were so deep here that only the barest suggestion of a silhouette distinguished his black cloak from the black walls. His eyes were something else. Every now and then they darted around the room and there was a flash of silver and gold. It was unwise, not to mention impolite, to stare in this neighborhood, but a curious and suicidal onlooker might have noticed as those eyes made their circuit that their pupils were vertical slits, like a cat's.

Contrary to rumor and popular belief, only one of the gangsters calling themselves the Pink Hats actually wore headgear of that color. Mr Hat himself was never seen without the curious pink article. His lackeys, lieutenants, grunts and milk runners, however, wore no uniform at all. Some, like the fellow waiting in the dark corner, preferred black cloaks and daggers, while others wore dazzling white three-piece suits. Some wore elegant clothes that had been fashionable two centuries prior, now worn to bare threads, and others wore nothing at all. They were, as was generally agreed, a strange bunch.

As he waited, the Pink Hat kept an eye on the other occupants of the bar. There wasn't a lot of traffic this time of night, which was good. Apart from himself, there were - two, three, four - five other people present.

The bartender, a tired old man named Kerrah, was polishing glasses behind his bar and paying precisely no attention to anything else. He was a veteran of the War, and one of many who felt the decline of Sol could be marked by the declaration of peace. Another washed up veteran, who had gone a little funny in the trenches and always insisted people call him the Half-Elf Dragon, slumped against the sticky wooden bar nearby, half a drink still clutched tightly in one hand.

Then there was the band. Usually the Lamp Post's live entertainment consisted of a bent trumpet and a battered set of drums, but today the Lady was in town and joined the two stock musicians to produce sound that, if not exactly pleasant, at least didn't make your ears bleed.

The Lady Nazja was a strange character, everyone agreed. Nobody really knew what her angle was. She'd be singing at the Maker's Terrace for all the lords and ladies one night and the next she'd stroll into a place like the Lamp Post. Some of the slower thugs and cutthroats stared as she walked through the slums, in her real classy dress and real classy hair, but then she'd smile at them in a way that if they were honest types they'd admit scared them just about shitless.

There were all kinds of rumors about the Lady, but she seemed to shed bad press like a duck sheds water. Everybody liked her. They said even the King left her alone. And she never took any sides that anyone could see. Some said she was with the secret police. Some said she was a messenger of the gods. Some said she was secretly a Pink Hat. She was certainly weird enough.

The watcher in the corner knew better, though. Whoever the Lady was, she wasn't one of Mr Hat's. He'd asked Mr Hat himself one time, and he was pretty sure what he got for an answer was negative. Hard to tell sometimes, with Mr Hat.

His strange eyes gleamed suspiciously from his corner. He didn't trust her. Like as not she wasn't with the secret police, because the secret police don't operate in the open like does, but she wasn't a Pink Hat and he didn't trust her. Was it coincidence she was singing at the Lamp Post tonight, the night he was going to meet with the revolutionary? He didn't trust coincidence. He didn't trust her.

Eventually, the bar's twisted wooden door creaked open and a hooded figure stepped in out of the drizzling rain. The revolutionary. The Pink Hat in the corner watched the newcomer carefully, allowing his remarkable eyes to gleam visibly from within the heart of the shadows. After shaking some water from his sleeves and glancing around, the revolutionary walked casually to the corner of the room and took a seat.
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Anansi; 10-28-2015 at 10:24 AM..
Old 03-30-2015, 03:40 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Shadow Orb

Meanwhile in Reservoir Dogs
Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I need to read more of Mustrum's earlier works.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:03 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Am I relevant enough to make an appearance?
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 03-30-2015, 05:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
Nah.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-30-2015, 05:39 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Nah.
I'll get back to lurking.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
I'll get back to lurking.
Just beat Noi with a bench.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 03-31-2015, 12:21 AM

Drunk Assassin

This is amazing.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 AM

Elune

Needs more cigarette smoke. But very noir.

I like noir.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:23 AM

Eternal

Quote:
You get to be the Slow King's dinner in one scene.

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
You get to be the Slow King's dinner in one scene.
Hey, no spoilers.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

I will be monitoring this thread.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:27 AM

Elune

I see me . i am intrigued.

You may continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:26 PM

Elune

Sequel pls.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Elune

Sequel.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 AM

Problemsolver

This is the Actually Official Scrolls of Lore Fanfiction Thread, not the Actually Official Thread for Fanfiction by members of Scrolls of Lore.

It's the thread where Anansi can live out his film noir SoL dreams.

I'd also like to take the the opportunity to agree with Noitora and shout out for a continuation of the grungy gangster drama.

Tags
copyright infringement, creative, fanwank, hell it's about time, scrolls of lore, storytelling