Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 AM

Priestess of the Moon
BattleTag: Samael#1487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
They are great as usual! Sorry if the phrase was weird; I think I unconsciously translated it from Spanish.
Ah, so it's more like "congratulations on having a baby" than "congratulations on winning the championship." This is why I love the internet: you learn stuff.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 AM

Elune

I like these. continue them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
I love you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
based neokitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

Shape up, Neocat. Fuck's sake.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM

Elune

Like it quite a bit, sad it will be updated so slowly but gift horses and their mouths y'know.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
Ah, so it's more like "congratulations on having a baby" than "congratulations on winning the championship." This is why I love the internet: you learn stuff.
Yeah! Exactly.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-25-2015, 07:46 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Argent Dawn Dispatch #11

Ladies and Gentlemen, the time has come to begin putting the plot into motion. I like to think my inversion of expected character roles is clever, but that's just me. While the result is a bit rougher than I'd like, it's not bad for one afternoon.

EDIT: Replaced with smoother version.

Personal log, November Terra:
I have fought through eight matches since my encounter with the Nexus’ masters. It took that long before I finally landed on the same team with Valla. As one of the only people I trust, including her in my investigation was a necessity: you can’t run a recon op across multiple realities by yourself. I had been afraid my crying through so many matches might’ve hurt my standing with her, but she greeted me like she always does: “Good to see you, Nova,” with just the barest hint of a smile. Valla has astonishing emotional discipline. I hate to admit it, but I actually kind of envy her.

I explained, as briefly as I could, what happened. Glow-eyes just nodded. There was spark in the look she gave me like she totally understood. That spark continued as I told her about my plans. “Might I suggest,” she said when I’d finished, “that we begin by asking Uther? He has been here longer than any of us. He might have seen something—especially in those early days when the Nexus was still under construction.”

She was right, of course. I immediately knew I’d been smart to include her. Conveniently, the old man was standing across the base—almost too conveniently, looking back. As the two of us approached him, he spoke first. “Ah, Nova. It’s good to see you’ve recovered from your ordeal. Are you ready to continue the battle for glory?”

“Of course,” I replied, trying to sound casual.
“Excellent. Our rivals shall learn to fear your wrath—and yours,” he added to Valla.

My partner bowed her head in respect. Anything to butter him up, I guess. “May it be so. Lord Uther, you have been in the Nexus longer than anyone else. Is that correct?”

The old man planted his hammer on the ground, placing one foot on top. “You speak true, lass, though Diablo was very quick behind. Why do you ask?”

“Well,” I said, “we were wondering if you’ve ever seen any seams or gaps—anything that might be useful for escape.”

From the withering glower he gave me, I knew I’d just pushed too far. “Now listen, you two. This is a very dangerous line of thought—one I strongly advise you to abandon. Oh, look,” he added, suddenly lightening up, “the barrier has fallen! Go forth to victory! And try not to think about this too much; it only leads to pain.”

I was about to give Uther a piece of my mind, but Valla shot me a look of warning. Once the two of us were out in the south lane, she took me aside. “We must be careful not to tip our hand, Nova. I may be able to coax a few tales out of Uther, but not if escape is mentioned. Perhaps it would be best if you kept our plans to yourself until next we meet.”

She was right—again. Don’t get me wrong, I like that about her, but it can be infuriating at times. I told her I would, which is just was well since I need some time to plot my next move. Diablo would be the second-best source, but he’s not the best conversationalist. Who else is there? I’ll have to think about this one.

Still, that conversation keeps relaying in my mind. There was just something…unnatural about it. The way the old man just suddenly changed mood like nothing happened isn’t right. Did he have an encounter of his own? If all they did to me was break my neural conditioning, what the hell did they do to him? I’ll be damned if I let them do it to me. Nova out.

I think the wise/disciplined and determined/impulsive work well as a character combo, don't you?

BONUS: Remember those false starts I mentioned way back when? I put them up on NobleFiction. Members only, of course.

Last edited by DarkAngel; 01-28-2015 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: New Version
Old 01-29-2015, 04:42 PM

Elune

I like the combination of Valla and Nova. I wonder if there are other characters that would like to join them... or use them to discover the mystery of the Nexus. Maybe Illidan?

Anyway, the best would be to give this plot its needed time.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I like the combination of Valla and Nova. I wonder if there are other characters that would like to join them... or use them to discover the mystery of the Nexus. Maybe Illidan?

Anyway, the best would be to give this plot its needed time.
I figured those two would understand each other on a very deep level: both are female hunter archetypes with a traumatic past. Actual lines for Valla wouldn't come until I heard her voice, though. There's something about hearing the VA that's essential to "getting" the character in my mind.

And yes, this will be slow building. Slow is good.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 PM

Elune

I hope the next member of the "jailbreak" is a villain or at least a rather unexpected champion. If Uther had joined it would have been a rather dull group, so I am hoping for some spice for the next addition.

This is just something I think would make the story more interesting, but perhaps at the price of believability. So just something to consider.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Crossed Axes (War2) Dispatch #12

So, as some of you may have noticed, I spent a bit more time than I should've on a certain other project. Now that it's done, I felt like I needed to put this up as a sort of consolation prize. Besides, this story was getting too serious. Lighten up, Dark, will ya?

I have fought through ten matches since my encounter with the Nexus’ masters. Valla never got back to me after our “discussion” with Uther. I hope nothing happened to her, but I can’t be certain. Until we end up on the same team again, I’m going to have to assume she’s been compromised. It just goes to show how you can’t trust in your so-called friends.

I learned that lesson in the very next match. See, sometime before I got here, Sonya decided it was her job to protect Li Li. Now that Chen is here, she’s kind of out of a job. Suddenly, there the two of them were, face to face on opposite sides. Sonya marched up to him, holding out her swords. “Chen Stormstout,” she challenged, “you have taken from me my purpose; and for that, you must die.” Have I mentioned she’s also a psycho bitch? She cuts a pretty intimidating profile, what with her big muscles, wild red hair and blue war paint. Unless there’s somebody else around to distract her, your choices are either stay cloaked or get your head taken off.

Chen tried to talk his way out of it, but she wasn’t letting him. Then, who should pop through the hedge but Li Li, on the Blue Team with her uncle. The kid proceeded to taunt War-Paint about how she was about to get her ass handed to her. Chen started to scold her about negotiating before fighting (when has that ever worked?), but Sonya took the opening to attack. It was actually kind of cute, and I settled in to watch. Did I mention I love being cloaked? It lets you see all sorts of things. Though, apparently, I wasn’t as hidden as I thought because War-Paint yelled back at me, “Nova, lend me your aid! We must teach this overgrown bear a lesson!”

I did not immediately respond. As every Ghost will tell you, action should only be taken after careful assessment of the situation. Had it just been the two of them going at it, it would’ve been a fair fight—but Li Li was helping Chen, which gave him the advantage. Knowing her, she would’ve preferred to heal both of them; which, obviously, she can’t do. So, I raised my rifle and wasted the kid. Both Chen and Sonya stopped and gave me hateful looks like I’d committed some horrible betrayal. Come on, guys, it’s not like she stayed dead. This is the Nexus for crying out loud.

I didn’t see what happened next because I heard the one voice I’ve come to dread above all others: “My, what pretty golden locks!” Immediately, I spun in place, trying to find Brightwing before she got any closer. I apparently picked the wrong direction, because my first indication of her position was the moment the evil bug fastened herself on top of my head! “Oooo, and so soft!” she cooed, pawing at my hair.

I had to drop my rifle so I could pry her loose with both hands. “Get off me!” I shouted. Unfortunately, my efforts only made her dig in deeper. “I’m going to crush you in my hands, you hear me? Because THIS time, WE are on…OPPOSITE…SIDES!” Finally, she came free, though not before turning my hair into a mess.

Brightwing just giggled. “Oh, that’s right!” And poof! I was a pig. The insult in itself wasn’t so bad, but Chen walked up and killed me. Sonya just stood there. Actually, from the look on her face, I’d say she desperately wanted to join him. Bitch. So much for having friends. Nova out.

"Brightwing on Nova's Head" needs a picture. Is there an artist in the house?

If I knew some more about Sanctuary, I could've come up with some more interesting creature for Sonya to compare Chen. I'm still open to suggestions.

Something I like about this passage is the way it highlights (my) Nova's faults while seamlessly turning them into fodder for the humor. She makes a tactically-based decision in a social situation without heed to social consequences beyond the battlespace, then blames others for her troubles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthas
I and I alone know what's going on, and all of my problems are caused by the failure of other people to get with the program and do what I say.
As for additions to the "jailbreak crew," I've been toying with a Nova-Valla-Sylvanas teamup for some time, but having all the hot chicks kicking ass together could also be boring. Hmmm... Lost Vikings then?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
As for additions to the "jailbreak crew," I've been toying with a Nova-Valla-Sylvanas teamup for some time, but having all the hot chicks kicking ass together could also be boring. Hmmm... Lost Vikings then?
The Lost Vikings certainly fit the oddball/unexpected criteria... but nah.

Sylvanas or another character of similar personality or style to Nova and Valla would be dull yeah. I personally would most like to see one of the more over the top male villains like Arthas or Diablo, the differences would make for interesting group dynamics. More mercenary types like Illidan could also work, I think the main appeal is the clash between Nova/Valla and an imperious male character.

Anyhow those are just my (weird) ideas, you should go with what you find interesting.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
The Lost Vikings certainly fit the oddball/unexpected criteria... but nah.

Sylvanas or another character of similar personality or style to Nova and Valla would be dull yeah. I personally would most like to see one of the more over the top male villains like Arthas or Diablo, the differences would make for interesting group dynamics. More mercenary types like Illidan could also work, I think the main appeal is the clash between Nova/Valla and an imperious male character.

Anyhow those are just my (weird) ideas, you should go with what you find interesting.
What about... Abathur?

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM

Elune

Quote:
What about... Abathur?
He could be interesting, he is amoral and intelligent, nice mix. Tassadar could be another interesting candidate for the "smart guy."

Some of my thoughts:

-Brightwing is pretty interesting/crazy but a probable negatory given the latest update. ETC is of similar characteristics (interesting/crazy). Stitches could also have those characteristics but while zany he is just not much of a character.

-Arthas/Illidan/Diablo as I've mentioned before

-Jaina could be interesting if it is idealist!Jaina, interesting female counterpart to Nova/Valla.

-Early, for the Horde/rebel/honor Thrall could be an interesting counter to Nova/Valla, Jimmy works too to a lesser extent.

-Kerrigan is similar to Sylvie and again a BA female so not that interesting of an addtion... but she has history with Nova and can be interesting if Dark Angel likes the idea (i.e. it gets his creative juices going).
Old 03-25-2015, 08:14 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
He could be interesting, he is amoral and intelligent, nice mix. Tassadar could be another interesting candidate for the "smart guy."
Very interesting. However, I sort had the idea any trio arrangement would have to represent the "Big Three" franchises, and Nova already has StarCraft covered. While I can see Abathur working well as a "thinker/enhancer in the back room" to a fighting group, I'm afraid he'd have to much residual loyalty to Kerrigan.
Quote:
-Brightwing is pretty interesting/crazy but a probable negatory given the latest update. ETC is of similar characteristics (interesting/crazy). Stitches could also have those characteristics but while zany he is just not much of a character.
ETC would fill all the requirements nicely. The only problem with him is that he's such a blank slate. I'd need to see a trailer before I "get" him.

EDIT: Brightwing is shifting into a planned role, fyi.

Quote:
-Jaina could be interesting if it is idealist!Jaina, interesting female counterpart to Nova/Valla.

-Early, for the Horde/rebel/honor Thrall could be an interesting counter to Nova/Valla, Jimmy works too to a lesser extent.
Interesting you should mention everyone's favorite shipping couple. Let's just say I have plans for them, too. Raynor, though...

Quote:
-Kerrigan is similar to Sylvie and again a BA female so not that interesting of an addtion... but she has history with Nova and can be interesting if Dark Angel likes the idea (i.e. it gets his creative juices going).
Somehow, I just don't see post-Swarm Nova and during-Swarm Kerrigan consenting to be in the same room, regardless of circumstances -- doubly so if Nova is the closest stand-in for Mengsk.

A meeting between during-Wings Raynor and during-Swarm Kerrigan -- that has possibilities... Especially if Jimmy thinks he's dealing with Brood War Kerrigan.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Orb of Venom Dispatch #13

New month, new Dispatch. Not much more to say.

Something interesting happened in the thirteenth match since my encounter. I spawned in somewhere with bright skies and stone streets. Look, I’ve been in the Nexus quite a while now, and I’m getting to know these battlegrounds very well. One thing was certain from the moment the flash cleared: this was no place I knew. From the look of everybody else, I’d say they were all thinking the same thing. If Uther hadn’t been there, none of us would’ve known what to do. “Welcome to Sky Temple, heroes!” he began. He sure does like making speeches. “The realm of Luxoria holds many powerful secrets; and, if we can hold the temples at the center of this battleground, they will unleash destruction upon our enemies.” I couldn’t help but notice he failed to mention why we should desire the destruction of our enemies—oh, wait, that’s the question we’re not supposed to ask. “Follow me, and the glory of victory shall be ours!”

Stitches really liked this idea. “Stitches go to temples and play with enemies! Who want to play with Stitches?” Everyone cheered at the sentiment—even Raynor. What the hell? This guy led a hopeless rebellion for years, and suddenly he’s following expectations like a good boy. Really? Screw him. Screw the Nexus. The whole damn thing.

The great thing about being invisible that everybody thinks you must be around. Ha. While they ran off to get themselves killed, I did some recon. It looks like Sky Temple is very different from any other battleground. It has unique buildings and even its own minions. The weird thing about it that we’re supposed to be fighting in the middle of a marketplace. You can walk right up to the stalls. Other battlegrounds have spectators, but they’re behind the barrier that keeps us in. These people are actually walking around in the middle of the combat zone. It’s like they can’t even see us. Come to think of it, I could swear I saw Malfurion go flying right through one of them when Muradin punched him. I’m no physicist, but that doesn’t happen.

What really hit me about Sky Temple, though, is how open it is. There is no outer wall like everywhere else. There’s just a drop into nothing. The whole place is somehow flying through the air, and I guess they figured the fear of falling would be enough to keep us away from the edge. There’s only one problem with that logic: there’s no reason to fear death in the Nexus. I walked right up. Not much to see, though—just an endless sea of clouds. That made me wonder just how high up I was. Then I had a better idea: why not find out? What was the worst that could happen? That I die? Done that plenty of times already. I smiled as I stepped off the edge.

What’s under Sky Temple? Sand. Lots and lots of sand. That was pretty much all there was to see once I got below the clouds. Just endless, drifting dunes, desolate as Phaeton. There might’ve been a river and a city or something off in the distance, but I can’t be sure. What I can be sure of is that my telekinetic abilities are gone. I haven’t been able to use them since my arrival in the Nexus, but wasn’t any harm in trying to make a safe landing, was there? That’s one of the things the Nexus has taught me: no matter how many times you die, you can’t stop trying to prevent it. It’s instinct.

Without the being able to slow myself down, I slammed into the ground at full speed. Unfortunately, the sand dune I landed on cushioned my fall. That sounds like a funny thing to say, doesn’t it? I say that because I’d been planning on instant death. With the cushion, it took me forever to bleed out. Ever had every bone in your body broken? Not fun. Maybe not as painful has having your mind rearranged by the masters of the Nexus, but pretty damned painful.

Once I finally did die, I respawned back at the hall of storms—exactly as if I’d died any other way. I was just in time to see our core go down. There were more than a few dirty looks in those final moments, but I don’t care what they think. My covert recon op was worth it. They don’t understand what it’s like, fighting with your hands tied like this. If I had my full powers, getting out of here would be childsplay. They did something to me, even before my “operation” at their hands. Not a teek, not a teep. The Dominion’s best Ghost—now on a par with Cistler. It makes me sick just thinking about it. Nova out.

Notes:
  • I'm trying to keep Nova's language PG-13. This can be a struggle thanks to the similarities she picked up to an original character of mine whose language is most definitely not. No idea what I'm going to do when 'Bama makes her appearance. Military people. Yeah.
  • An earlier version of this dispatch had Nova jump off the edge to escape a showdown with Kerrigan. This has been moved.
  • Do enough people know about Ghost Academy to get the reference?
Old 04-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Elune

Sorry for the belated reply, had stuff going on, yeah I got the Cistler reference. Apart from a few short stories online I just keep delaying for some reason I have read all possible SC lore. I was like that for Warcraft too before I gave up on it.

Also can't wait to see what you have in mind for Jaina/Thrall and Kerrigan/Jimmy.

As for the update, not much to say. She tried something, maybe saw something of interest (though I suspect they will be disappointed by what they find if anything). Fairly low action, and no real developments. Good way to breathe life into your story with pieces like this but at the same time if this is all we will get for an entire month it gives the feeling we will never get anywhere with this story (short updates, slow pacing, long breaks between them). Can't really expect anything of you, given that you do this for free as a minor hobby but more updates would be really, really appreciated
Old 04-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Name:  InsideJoke.png
Views: 148
Size:  401.2 KB
You fools! You can't put those two next to each other! Also, does this mean someone is stumping for Illidan and Falstad?

P.S.: I will try to get something together soon. The original story keeps getting delayed.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:38 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Oil Dispatch #14 — and Contest!

Something very interesting happened last week. I got some key codes to the Heroes of the Storm beta! I'm not exactly sure how this is possible, since my Battle.net account isn't opted in for beta invites. However, I have them, and I now must figure out what to do with them. How about a giveaway contest? The question is what kind of contest to have. A part of me wants to use this opportunity to get an artist to draw something, but that locks a lot of people out -- including me. If you have ideas, do tell.

Until then, let's get on with the story, shall we?

Three more matches have passed since my escape from Sky Temple. My experience confirmed a very important fact: these “realms” do exist outside the battlegrounds where we fight. If something exists outside this hell, I’d rather be there. Unfortunately, our captors have been very thorough in keeping us trapped. The edges of Sky Temple are the only holes I’ve been able to find so far, and those mean falling to your death. The other battlegrounds are surrounded by a perimeter hedge that’s effectively impassable. It may look like plant life, but that must be some kind of illusion. Every time I’ve touched it, the results have been the same as touching neosteel at 500 kelvins. Let’s just say my one and only attempt to climb over did not end well. I had to die to regain use of my hands.

As soon as I was back, I went looking for other ways, and the rumbling engine that followed me out of the hall of storms offered me exactly that. With every other prisoner either fighting or supporting our golem as it pushed into the Blue Team’s base, we had a moment to ourselves to boot. Of course, approaching my friend was a risk. Bama Kowalski may be a Dominion Marine, but she’s had a little too much time in combat zones. I’ve been around enough veteran troops to know war does things to the mind, and Kowalski makes me wonder why the Dominion doesn’t extend mandatory mind-wipes to more than just Ghosts. At this point, she’s almost as much of a misanthrope as Diablo. Heh. “Greatest heroes from across all realities,” my ass.

“Hey, Kowalski!” I shouted. No response. I stepped in front and waved my arms, but the battered Crucio just kept coming. Real considerate, that one. Waiting until the last possible moment, I leapt on top and started pounding on the turret with the butt of my rifle. That got her attention. Unfortunately, the treads locked up and sent me sprawling in the dirt. So much for comradery in the ranks.

The top hatch opened, and soon, the sergeant’s be-goggled face was glaring down at me, braided pig tails trailing behind. “Whatcha want, Blondie?”

I got up with all the dignity I could, which wasn’t much. “Kowalski, I need to borrow your tank.”

Pig-tails just looked at me. “Excuse me?”

I scowled. “That’s an order, Marine! Step lively!”

Bama took swig from a hip flask and wiped her mouth on her grime-encrusted hand. “Funny, I don’t remember being placed under your command, Ghost.

“It doesn’t matter. I outrank you. Now move.”

Kowalski crossed her arms. “This doesn’t have anything to do with that escape obsession of yours, does it?”

I climbed back up on the tank, trying to look threatening. “That’s privileged information, Marine. How do you know about it?”

She took another swig. “Your furry friend told me all about your little ‘incident.’ You’d be amazed the things he’ll do for booze.”

“Chen ratted me–” I fixed her with an authoritative glare. “You keep quiet about this, Kowalski. You hear?”

Pig-tails rolled her eyes. “Whatever ya say, Blondie. Now, if you’d kindly get off my ass, I have a job to do.”

“I didn’t give you leave–”

Kowalski cut me off by dropping below the hatch. “Hammer’s comin’ down, baby! Heh, heh.” The hatch closed behind her.

“Kowalski!” I shouted, “We’re not done here!” Her only response was to start driving away. I started banging on the turret again. That did get a response. Kowalski slammed on the breaks, then gunned the engine in rapid succession. The move was perfectly timed to drop me right in front of the tank just as it surged forward again. There wasn’t time to get out of the way, not even for a Ghost. I could only scream as my lower legs were crushed under the treads. The Crucio left me in the dust, rushing off to the front lines like nothing happened. Needless to say, when I get out of here, I’m writing Pig-tails up on insubordination charges—and assaulting an officer, and whatever else I can find in the military code.

Now, you’re probably thinking life doesn’t get any worse than being betrayed and left to die a slow, agonizing death in a hellhole. You’d be wrong. Somehow, Murky slipped through all our towers without getting shot, and started slapping me with his fish. I couldn’t even swat him away. When the match ended an eternity later, Fish-boy had a kill. I’m never going to hear the end of it. Nova out.

Diplomacy has never been Nova's strong point...
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 AM

Elune

I think keys are plentiful now, I know a bunch of SoLers got them and hell I might have got some but I cba to check my email. Anyhow point is there may not be too much interest in keys, so first see how many people are interested before thinking about any contest
Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
I think keys are plentiful now, I know a bunch of SoLers got them and hell I might have got some but I cba to check my email. Anyhow point is there may not be too much interest in keys, so first see how many people are interested before thinking about any contest
Point taken. There's only -- what? A month left of beta? I could use one to download and datamine the files (like I do for WoW), but it feels like such a waste.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Late to the party here…

I like the way you're handling this story. It's a neat trick to be able to get a compelling narrative out of something like Heroes of the Storm. Though I know next to nothing about the game, my understanding is that it's mostly intended as a goofy crossover. Your more in-depth examination is well-done.

I know nothing about Nova beyond her appearance in Starcraft 2, but the version I'm seeing here is consistent. One of her best scenes, odd to say, is her killing Li Li. Though it made me wince, it's completely in-character with what you've established.

Part of me would like to know more about what's going on with Nova when she's not fighting. How she's reacting to these strange people. You go into this, of course, but I'm dying to know more about some of the potential interactions. Also, at some point would she figure out that the various heroes here all seem to be from a handful of realities? As a Ghost, I can see her doing some recon, so to speak.

Anyway, good work and I look forward to reading more.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I swear I'm going to read this one of these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I know nothing about Nova beyond her appearance in Starcraft 2, but the version I'm seeing here is consistent. One of her best scenes, odd to say, is her killing Li Li. Though it made me wince, it's completely in-character with what you've established.
Well...any similarity to the official Nova is just about coincidental. Not having time to play the game or read books, I "felt" the character from a previewed cinematic, a few gameplay videos, and wiki synopses of Nova, Ghost Academy, and Spectres. You probably have more exposure than I do! Her character page is not at all helpful, being more focused on the threat she poses than what kind of person she is. (Unsurprisingly, her SC2 portrayal is a bland straw villain -- or so I've been told.) I'm basically constructing a personality based on tone inflections in Grey's voice, which would be quite a feat. Some have told me my Nova is better than the official one.

EDIT: I do have Wings of Liberty, so I could extract the VA files, come to think of it. I didn't want to spoil things, though.

The Li Li incident kind of exemplifies the comically callous personality I'm using. Nova has trained for a long time to be a ruthless killing machine, and she does what she perceives to be her duty. Yet, there is still a part of her that feels a need to justify this action. There's a balancing act to keeping a character both interesting and likable.

It's been an educational project using first-person on a character who actively avoids dwelling on memories and feelings. There is so much I can't directly say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Part of me would like to know more about what's going on with Nova when she's not fighting. How she's reacting to these strange people. You go into this, of course, but I'm dying to know more about some of the potential interactions. Also, at some point would she figure out that the various heroes here all seem to be from a handful of realities? As a Ghost, I can see her doing some recon, so to speak.
In the very early concept stages, I toyed with the idea of having a "break room" where the characters waited between matches. Eventually, though, I settled on just having everyone teleport from one match to the next. That non-stop killing and dying was the trigger for the depressive remarks back at the beginning. You might notice these stop after the encounter. (My) Nova can push through pretty much anything as long as she has a goal.

Assessing the common origins of her fellows is unlikely, though. Nova just isn't enough of people person. She'd go anywhere, do anything -- but not go around conducting interviews. She just doesn't have the patience. Thus, my comments about how she may have been a poor choice of protagonists.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
(Unsurprisingly, her SC2 portrayal is a bland straw villain -- or so I've been told.)
More of a "Punch-clock Villain" as you'd expect of a ghost. She gets her mission, one to kill Tosh and the other to hunt down Kerrigan and Raynor and she does them. Coldly and efficiently, when she worked with Raynor if you go the "betray Tosh" route she does not betray you at any point and concludes their arrangement very business like. Of course with a remark that she might be coming for him one day, standard badass assassin dealio.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:42 AM

Priestess of the Moon

All this thinking about characterization convinced me to run the Balaa treatment on Nova. Here goes.

Name
Full: November Anabella Terra
Nicknames/Aliases: Agent X41822N, just 'Nova' to most
Significance: Ghosts are properly designated by their serial numbers, but usually go by their last names because a string of numbers is such a mouthful for their handlers. Nova, however, goes by a childhood nickname to avoid association with her famous family.

Appearance
The 'look' of the character is well-established, so there's little reason to waste time here. It should be added, though, that she will take offense at any comment about her appearance -- even if complimentary. Negative comments are taken as insults, and positive comments are taken as advances. Nova avoids thinking on her appearance to any deeper level.

Thing character would most want to change about self:
Nova desires to forget. Even with her memories blocked, she does her best to ignore her own context. If only she could simply be.

Personality
Patience is what makes a great hunter, so it may come as a surprise that the Terran Dominion's best assassin is impatient and impulsive. However, she makes up for those deficits with obsessive persistence. This is because her mission is a welcome tool to avoid thinking about herself. Nova tries, to the maximum possible degree, to live only in the moment -- a sort of workaholic of death.

Nova is generally regarded with awe -- for three reasons. One, it is rare to see a Ghost. Two, she is extremely powerful. Three, she is very hot. This initial goodwill quickly turns to irritation, however. Nova cares nothing for anyone's feelings, and her thoughtless, hardhearted ways quickly erect a barrier against anyone working with her. She prefers it this way. Getting to know someone you might have to kill someday only causes unnecessary pain -- but more importantly, others talking about their personal lives would cause her thoughts to drift toward hers. Therefore, keeping relations at arms' length is imperative.

Nova is most comfortable around those who share her aversion to personal involvement. However, she values others only to the degree that they can serve as useful tools. As an operative head-and-shoulders above anyone else at the Dominion's disposal, she takes orders only from the emperor. All others -- even other Ghosts -- are merely fodder for the pursuit of her mission. Any frustrations or setbacks in that mission will be projected onto the target, making her even more determined than before.

How to Use This Character
Nova offers opportunities as protagonist, antagonist, and major support. However, she has too much depth (and too big of a fanbase) for minor support. As protagonist, her obsessive focus will inherently force the plot to revolve around her mission. Her abrasive personality will need counterbalance with humor or misfortune. As antagonist, she will require a protagonist who is clever enough to create a steady stream of evasions and misdirections -- and probably a whole team working together. This forced cooperation is an excellent impetus for character development. In a supporting role, she will do everything possible to push the protagonist into serving her purposes. She serves a sort of near-antagonist/temptress role that is likely to terminate the moment the mission is accomplished.

In any of these roles, she can be made sympathetic by showing occasional cracks in her mask that hint at her inner pain. Without the Broken Bird, a Dark Action Girl is just a Draco In Leather Pants.

Comments
I started writing that about the fanfic version and ended up talking about the official one. Oops. I probably should've just omitted that last part, since an essay could be written on each role. However, it is interesting to note that Nova has been used as protagonist (Nova, Ghost Academy, Spectres), antagonist (Heart of the Swarm), and support (Wings of Liberty). How many characters can claim that?

Addendum: I considered adding a section on greatest fear, but decided to save that for a future encounter with Diablo. That's sort of his job.

Quote:
When she worked with Raynor if you go the "betray Tosh" route she does not betray you at any point and concludes their arrangement very business like.
Just out of curiosity, which one of those is the "paragon" option, and which is the "rogue" option? Helping spectres is generally a bad idea, so, combined with Raynor's silly quote, I thought that would be the non-canon plot fork.

Last edited by DarkAngel; 05-01-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Old 05-01-2015, 04:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, which one of those is the "paragon" option, and which is the "rogue" option? Helping spectres is generally a bad idea, so, combined with Raynor's silly quote, I thought that would be the non-canon plot fork.
Nah, he sticks with Tosh canonically. But in a characteristically new-Blizzard move both choices warp reality so as to make your pick the right one. If you go for Nova then Tosh and his specters are suddenly presented as maniacal and too dangerous to be left alone. But if you go Tosh it is all about loyalty, brotherhood, saving Mengsk's victims and forming a unified front (with an undertone of: Raynor and Tosh are too battlescarred to ever live normally again) and specters never betray you and are reliable allies ever since.

It's even more obvious in the colonists dilemma, if you stand by the colonists the infestation is mild, a cure is found and the protoss don't mind your defiance at all and consider the battle to be a glorious test of their mettle (despite presumably losing many valuable pilots and soldiers).
If you decide that they are beyond saving, protoss don't engage, you face a massive infestation, no cure is found and the doctor/love interest turns out to be infested and Raynor has to put her down. : /

Tags
heroes of the swarm, storytelling