Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 AM

Elune

None of the names are that strange. Freiburg in Germany and Innsbruck in Austria translate to Free Town and Inn Bridge respectively.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:21 AM

Eternal

I was doing some measurements on my cellphone, and I got to the conclusion that the distance Silvermoon-Booty Bay is aproximately 9000 kilometers? That's a 2000 less than Panama - Ushuaia for comparison. From the Whispering Forest to Tyr's Hand is aproximately 3800 kilometers?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:19 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Alright. I like Roundham. What about Kreisville? I know those are two languages mixed, but I do not see that as a problem. Your choice people. Roundham or Kreisville.
Round Village works.

Quote:
Also, what do you think of that Aidensbrad name for Wellspring? I am growing fond of it. Especially since Strahnbrad also exists.
Maybe there is a "Wellspring" in or near Aidensbrad? You could also consider some of the Alteraci nobles and figures mentioned in Tides of Darkness or quests: Verand, Trand, General Hath, Colonel Kavdan, and Lord Falconcrest. Maybe their families have some history in the region?

Quote:
Actually, Nordmark is the name of the whole region north of the Arathi Highlands (aka Stromgarde proper).
Cool.

Quote:
Anyway, what about Geldholme? Also, the town is about 120 years old in my notes, yes.
Hmm... This is tough.

Quote:
PS: I forgot to note Sanctuary. Keep the name? Or perhaps something like Caer Sicred?
"Sanctuary" seems like the meaning of a town's name, so that one was passable.

Quote:
Uhm, there is one? Take a close look.
Somehow overlooked that. Nice!

Quote:
I think I will keep Riverside.

Love it. Both the idea of the location and the name of Riceshire. Thank you.
Cool.

Quote:
I still have to correct that one. Technically, it is already a town population wise. Anyway, I can change the name, but I would keep the settlement. Any suggestions?
Sunrock works. Maybe something like "Pilgrim's Landing." Not sure, but possibly something that's a subtle nod to the fact that it was colonized by Gilneas. Port Regal?

Quote:
I am fond of it because of the connection to the hydromantic order I made up.
I don't have a problem with it. I was just providing my commentary.

Quote:
Since we are at it, how about Rockshire, Stardale, Starshire (after the fallen star)?
Rock Quarry works, especially if it was a hamlet or village that grew near one.

Quote:
Of course, the city itself is called Zul'Aman, especially by the Amani. I just wanted to differentiate it on the map. Now, the Ziggurat name itself comes from this map. But I can change it, of course.
Hmmm... Ziggurat works, but just brainstorming here. But perhaps you could consider naming conventions for trolls. Jintha'alor is a city/temple connected to the figure Jintha and Shadra'alor is connected to the loa Shandra. So maybe Something'Alor?

Last edited by Genesis; 05-20-2016 at 03:23 PM..
Old 05-21-2016, 02:02 PM

Druid of the Talon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I was doing some measurements on my cellphone, and I got to the conclusion that the distance Silvermoon-Booty Bay is aproximately 9000 kilometers? That's a 2000 less than Panama - Ushuaia for comparison. From the Whispering Forest to Tyr's Hand is aproximately 3800 kilometers?
Makes sense to me, seeing as I think it was stated in the main thread that BB is close to the equator. So if it's about as long as South America that'd be about the right length.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:53 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Roundham makes me think of a round ham tho. In what language is Kreis? By the way, how do languages old and new relate to language in this universe? I imagine English is the human common tongue, then is old English the old common? And then germanic from certain regions and Norse vrykul, which then evolved into the others? We know there is also
Kreis is a circle or round in German. Anyway, I imagine it is somewhat like this, yes.

Quote:
The scale is off (will be fixed in the next version). The distance from Whispering Forest to Tyr's Hand should actually be around 2400 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Round Village works.
Alright.

Quote:
Maybe there is a "Wellspring" in or near Aidensbrad? You could also consider some of the Alteraci nobles and figures mentioned in Tides of Darkness or quests: Verand, Trand, General Hath, Colonel Kavdan, and Lord Falconcrest. Maybe their families have some history in the region?
The thing with a "Wellspring" being in Aidensbrad is exactly the idea I have in mind.

As for the noble houses thing, I actually have a list of the major noble houses in Alterac, although I did not make them custom holdings the same way I did in Gilneas. Do you think I should?

Quote:
Hmm... This is tough.
How about Geldberg, Geldburg, Geldsberg or Geldsburg? There is already Rustberg, so I have some precedent for that naming.

Quote:
"Sanctuary" seems like the meaning of a town's name, so that one was passable.
Might be, although I am growing fond of Caer Sicred (fort of security).

Quote:
Sunrock works. Maybe something like "Pilgrim's Landing." Not sure, but possibly something that's a subtle nod to the fact that it was colonized by Gilneas. Port Regal?
Pilgrim's Landing would work really well with the lore I made up. And I could use Sunrock for some southern colony.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it. I was just providing my commentary.
Okay, thanks.

Quote:
Rock Quarry works, especially if it was a hamlet or village that grew near one.
That is definitely the idea, although I think Rockshire would work too.

Quote:
Hmmm... Ziggurat works, but just brainstorming here. But perhaps you could consider naming conventions for trolls. Jintha'alor is a city/temple connected to the figure Jintha and Shadra'alor is connected to the loa Shandra. So maybe Something'Alor?
Assuming Alor is something like city; Zul'alor (great city?) or Aman'alor (city of the Amani)?

-------

Anyway. Genesis, would you be so kind to tell what you found disappointing about the Blackrock Mountain situation? Perhaps we could find some solution for the thing.

And one question for all of you. It might be better for the second thread, but as it is tied to the map, let's keep it here. I have been thinking; what do you think of pushing the kingdom of Alterac a bit more to the east, leaving it with the eastern part of the Alterac Mountains and most of the Arathi Foothills? It would essentially turn the situation even closer to the realities of Warcraft II. Also, what do you think about making Durnholde Keep a part of Alterac well until the Second War?
Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 AM

Eternal

What's the story with Durnholde? I assumed it was Alterac until the Second War beforehand o.o. But yes, I see no problem with that.

Anyway, have you seen Llane's exclusive content? Have a look at this shot: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...ay/WCMDC05.jpg
I find it interesting that there are ships on the Forbidding Sea, as well as a massive line of defense against Stranglethorn Vale. Also, Balor seems to be present, which is awesome.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:11 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
As for the noble houses thing, I actually have a list of the major noble houses in Alterac, although I did not make them custom holdings the same way I did in Gilneas. Do you think I should?
I meant more in terms of coming up with names.

Quote:
How about Geldberg, Geldburg, Geldsberg or Geldsburg? There is already Rustberg, so I have some precedent for that naming.
Not sure. It may depend on what they sell and trade there. If there is a Rustberg, perhaps there was a "steel," "iron," "tin," "bronze," "gold," or "fur" berg?

If you still want to play with "Market Squre," 'Cearnog' is Irish for "square," so you could toy with that being Caer Nog, as a young city founded on the site of a much older fort town.

Quote:
Might be, although I am growing fond of Caer Sicred (fort of security).
Maybe something akin to Caer Refuge? It does seem to have some proximate closeness to Refuge Pointe. What time period would this town trace its origins?

Quote:
Pilgrim's Landing would work really well with the lore I made up. And I could use Sunrock for some southern colony.
Cool.

Quote:
Assuming Alor is something like city; Zul'alor (great city?) or Aman'alor (city of the Amani)?
Your pick. I was just proposing 'Alor since it clearly exists as part of Amani naming conventions with city-like temple complexes.

Quote:
Anyway. Genesis, would you be so kind to tell what you found disappointing about the Blackrock Mountain situation? Perhaps we could find some solution for the thing.
Mostly the non-presence of Shadowforge which is the major dark iron dwarf city, capital, and settlement even during the Spire's occupation by the Horde.

Quote:
And one question for all of you. It might be better for the second thread, but as it is tied to the map, let's keep it here. I have been thinking; what do you think of pushing the kingdom of Alterac a bit more to the east, leaving it with the eastern part of the Alterac Mountains and most of the Arathi Foothills? It would essentially turn the situation even closer to the realities of Warcraft II. Also, what do you think about making Durnholde Keep a part of Alterac well until the Second War?
I may need time to think about that.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:58 AM

Eternal

Quote:
What's the story with Durnholde? I assumed it was Alterac until the Second War beforehand o.o. But yes, I see no problem with that.

Anyway, have you seen Llane's exclusive content? Have a look at this shot: http://media.mmo-champion.com/images...ay/WCMDC05.jpg
I find it interesting that there are ships on the Forbidding Sea, as well as a massive line of defense against Stranglethorn Vale. Also, Balor seems to be present, which is awesome.
It is a bit hard with Durnholde. In Lord of the Clans (talking about the Warcraft Adventures game here), it was said to be in Alterac, and Blackmoore to be of Alteraci origin. However, Rise of the Lich King made his family Lordaeronian, which sort of complicated things a lot.

Formerly, I wanted Durnholde to be an old Alteraci fortress and the Blackmoores to be an old Alteraci noble family. A family that changed sides during the Violet War, bringing Durnholde under the sovereignty of Lordaeron. But at the moment, I am thinking of something different. Have two branches of the Blackmoore family, one in Alterac ruling Durnholde, one exiled in Lordaeron (since the Violet War). And have the Alteraci branch die out and be replaced by the Lordaeronian branch in the aftermath of the Second War.

-------

And yes, those subtle changes are interesting. To be absolutely honest, I am really disappointed the movie map was not used in the Chronicle. Although it is generally using the World of Warcraft geography, unlike my work, there are many subtle changes that make things work better, especially in southern Lordaeron.

Quote:
I meant more in terms of coming up with names
Ah, okay. Still, listing some places like Falconcrest Nest, Ravenholdt Manor, Mordis Castle or Vardus Keep would not hurt, right?

Quote:
Not sure. It may depend on what they sell and trade there. If there is a Rustberg, perhaps there was a "steel," "iron," "tin," "bronze," "gold," or "fur" berg?
Ironwood, fur, different minerals, steel products etc. Hence why I am fond of something general, like Geldsberg.

Quote:
Maybe something akin to Caer Refuge? It does seem to have some proximate closeness to Refuge Pointe. What time period would this town trace its origins?
Caer Sicred is actually meant to be a nod to both name Sanctuary and Refuge Pointe. As for Refuge Pointe; my idea is it is made in a sprawling cave complex beneath the ruins of Sanctuary (completely destroyed during the Second War). As for the age of Sanctuary; almost as old as Strom, unlike "Market Square".

Quote:
Your pick. I was just proposing 'Alor since it clearly exists as part of Amani naming conventions with city-like temple complexes.
Well, I like the idea. Will think about it.

Quote:
Mostly the non-presence of Shadowforge which is the major dark iron dwarf city, capital, and settlement even during the Spire's occupation by the Horde.
I see. Perhaps I could change the label to something like Blackrock Spire - Shadowforge City or Blackrock Spire and Shadowforge City without having to add another symbol?
Quote:
I may need time to think about that.
Take your time. But to give you a better idea, here is how I would have the borders would this change come through. Of course, I would have to change the location of Alterac City/Aidensbrad (Wellspring)/Cherryville, but that is not really such an issue.

Last edited by Marthen; 05-23-2016 at 06:36 AM..
Old 05-23-2016, 05:54 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

I think you shouldn't change the location of Alterac, as the new area has a less mountain terrain. And the essence of Alterac has always been mountains, and a hard life.

Unless you made the "Arathi Foothills" more mountainuous, I wouldn't change the kingdom's position.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 05-23-2016, 06:42 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
But at the moment, I am thinking of something different. Have two branches of the Blackmoore family, one in Alterac ruling Durnholde, one exiled in Lordaeron (since the Violet War). And have the Alteraci branch die out and be replaced by the Lordaeronian branch in the aftermath of the Second War.
They needn't be exiled. Families naturally drift apart by marriages, siblings, inheritances, and such. Think Hapsburgs splitting up their dynasty's empire between the elder brother taking richer lands of Spain and the younger brother getting a poorer Holy Roman Empire. Depending on the time, Alterac may have been richer or poorer than Lordaeron, and one brother (or even their father) could have split the inheritance between siblings. One could have died out at any point, and they could have exercised a birthright to the fiefdom.

Quote:
Ah, okay. Still, listing some places like Falconcrest Nest, Ravenholdt Manor, Mordis Castle or Vardus Keep would not hurt, right?
Of course. (Falconcrest Nest could also be simply something like Talon Hold, Adlerholme/Alderac, or Falkenbrad. You can be creative with town names beyond "Noble Name" Town.)

Quote:
Ironwood, fur, different minerals, steel products etc. Hence why I am fond of something general, like Geldsberg.
Freiton (free town)? Freimark? (free march)? Freigarde? Eisenberg (if iron)? Eisengarde (hehe)? Kohl(e)burg (if coal)? Holzburg (if lumber)? Hillburg (reference to town's elevation)? Hochburg (also "high" since near-Hinterland elevation)?

Quote:
Caer Sicred is actually meant to be a nod to both name Sanctuary and Refuge Pointe. As for Refuge Pointe; my idea is it is made in a sprawling cave complex beneath the ruins of Sanctuary (completely destroyed during the Second War). As for the age of Sanctuary; almost as old as Strom, unlike "Market Square".
Cool. So Caer Sicred/Refuge Point is a sort of Helm's Deep with its own Glittering Caves for refuge? Neat idea. What if Caer Sicred was shortened to Caerred? So while Caer Sicred was the original name, its name morphed over time to Caerred? So for the Stromic people, it's the "Red Fortress" and emblematic of Stromgarde's own national colors. Just brainstorming here.

Quote:
I see. Perhaps I could change the label to something like Blackrock Spire - Shadowforge City or Blackrock Spire and Shadowforge City without having to add another symbol?
That should work.

Quote:
Take your time. But to give you a better idea, here is how I would have the borders would this change come through. Of course, I would have to change the location of Alterac City/Aidensbrad (Wellspring)/Cherryville, but that is not really such an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
I think you shouldn't change the location of Alterac, as the new area has a less mountain terrain. And the essence of Alterac has always been mountains, and a hard life.

Unless you made the "Arathi Foothills" more mountainuous, I wouldn't change the kingdom's position.
I agree here with Cemotuco. In regards to Hillsbrad Foothills, my head canon, of sorts, is that they are a protectorate under Lordaeron. They could also de facto "free cities" who were tired of being fought over by Gilneas, Alterac, Dalaran, Stromgarde, etc.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
They needn't be exiled. Families naturally drift apart by marriages, siblings, inheritances, and such. Think Hapsburgs splitting up their dynasty's empire between the elder brother taking richer lands of Spain and the younger brother getting a poorer Holy Roman Empire. Depending on the time, Alterac may have been richer or poorer than Lordaeron, and one brother (or even their father) could have split the inheritance between siblings. One could have died out at any point, and they could have exercised a birthright to the fiefdom.
I know. But I did not mean to say I need to have them exiled to accomplish that. Only that I am toying with such an idea, to keep the former version ( the Blackmoores turning on the Perenoldes during the Violet War) at least somewhat intact.

Quote:
Of course. (Falconcrest Nest could also be simply something like Talon Hold, Adlerholme/Alderac, or Falkenbrad. You can be creative with town names beyond "Noble Name" Town.)
Well, I sure can, but I am not sure if I want to. I generally wanted to avoid specific names for one particular reason; if Blizzard ever comes with their own name, I can simply say that my name is just a general name existing alongside the specific name. I can't do that with a specific name, however. Still, I love Falkenbrad, so....

Quote:
Freiton (free town)? Freimark? (free march)? Freigarde? Eisenberg (if iron)? Eisengarde (hehe)? Kohl(e)burg (if coal)? Holzburg (if lumber)? Hillburg (reference to town's elevation)? Hochburg (also "high" since near-Hinterland elevation)?
Handelton (a trade town)?

Quote:
Cool. So Caer Sicred/Refuge Point is a sort of Helm's Deep with its own Glittering Caves for refuge? Neat idea. What if Caer Sicred was shortened to Caerred? So while Caer Sicred was the original name, its name morphed over time to Caerred? So for the Stromic people, it's the "Red Fortress" and emblematic of Stromgarde's own national colors. Just brainstorming here.
I will consider it. It would definitely work as a popular name, although I am not sure if as an academic name.

Quote:
I agree here with Cemotuco. In regards to Hillsbrad Foothills, my head canon, of sorts, is that they are a protectorate under Lordaeron. They could also de facto "free cities" who were tired of being fought over by Gilneas, Alterac, Dalaran, Stromgarde, etc.
Well, the idea was to keep Alterac City in the eastern Alterac Mountains, so it would not lose that trait. But alright. I was just brainstorming about bringing it closer to Warcraft II, where Alterac was to the east of the Alterac Mountains.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
I know. But I did not mean to say I need to have them exiled to accomplish that. Only that I am toying with such an idea, to keep the former version ( the Blackmoores turning on the Perenoldes during the Violet War) at least somewhat intact.
Ah, I see.

Quote:
Well, I sure can, but I am not sure if I want to. I generally wanted to avoid specific names for one particular reason; if Blizzard ever comes with their own name, I can simply say that my name is just a general name existing alongside the specific name. I can't do that with a specific name, however. Still, I love Falkenbrad, so....
Makes sense.

Quote:
Handelton (a trade town)?
That's not bad. It has kind of a catchy ring to it, and one in which it is easy to imagine a large market square in the middle. And I could imagine that such a large market square sort of town may have been a hub for Thalassian Farstriders to have engaged in commerce as well, particularly if it was a stop along the way to the Farstrider's Lodge in Loch Modan.

Quote:
I will consider it. It would definitely work as a popular name, although I am not sure if as an academic name.
Of course not. Looking at Helm's Deep, for example, reveals that Helm's Deep refers to the valley and not the fortification. The fortification is technically named Aglarond but it was also known more popularly by the Rohirrim as Hornburg.

Quote:
Well, the idea was to keep Alterac City in the eastern Alterac Mountains, so it would not lose that trait. But alright. I was just brainstorming about bringing it closer to Warcraft II, where Alterac was to the east of the Alterac Mountains.
The problem is that the Warcraft 3 map places it on the western side of the mountains, and then World of Warcraft places it in the mountains.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Eternal

Hmm.. I agree that having most of the mountains be out of the kingdom looks strange, so either bring it back, or make Alterac larger as a whole, retaining what it already has plus adding the Arathi Foothills.

I'm also all for having more names in Alterac. You could also add a few noble holdings in Stromgarde, Stormwind, Kul Tiras and Lordaeron?

Just a thought: should Refuge Point be close to the Arathi Basin? Also, what is the location of that Dwarven tunnel?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:51 AM

Eternal

Quote:
The problem is that the Warcraft 3 map places it on the western side of the mountains, and then World of Warcraft places it in the mountains.

Well, we both know the geography of Warcraft is not exactly coherent, hence why this work even exists.

Quote:
Hmm.. I agree that having most of the mountains be out of the kingdom looks strange, so either bring it back, or make Alterac larger as a whole, retaining what it already has plus adding the Arathi Foothills.
It already has the Arathi Foothills? Anyway, I was just brainstorming there.

Quote:
I'm also all for having more names in Alterac. You could also add a few noble holdings in Stromgarde, Stormwind, Kul Tiras and Lordaeron?
Stromgarde does not have noble holdings per see, it is essentially a military monarchy. But I will add some more things from my notes in the next version.

As for the rest; ehm, I don't really think it is that necessary. Alterac and Gilneas are a special case as they are most centered around the landed gentry. Lordaeron and Azeroth are a bit more bureaucratic, whereas Kul Tiras and Stromgarde are...well, different.

Quote:
Just a thought: should Refuge Point be close to the Arathi Basin? Also, what is the location of that Dwarven tunnel?
Refuge Pointe = Sanctuary/Caer Sicred/Caerred.

The tunnel does not exist yet, but it would probably be somewhere to the east of Arathi Basin. My idea is the open space leading to the Hinterlands ceases to exist with the Great Cataclysm, so the local dwarves dig up a tunnel.

Last edited by Marthen; 05-24-2016 at 02:31 AM..
Old 05-23-2016, 12:14 PM

Eternal

Yeah I know xD

I meant if Sanctuary/Refuge Caer Sicred shouldn't be next to the Basin.
EDIT: I see now I overestimated the distance - it's fine where it is, so ignore this part.

A few thoughts:

- Is Trollbane Hall important enough to be included in this map?

- It would also be cool to mark the Twin Peaks with the summit market, what do you think?

- What happened to the Alterac Fortress built by Strom for the Troll Wars? Did it become Alterac City?

- Where exactly will the Greymane Wall go?

- Is Ambermill part of Dalaran or Gilneas?

- is that a no man's land beside Tempest's Reach?

Last edited by Ethenil; 05-23-2016 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-24-2016, 02:38 AM

Eternal

Quote:

- Is Trollbane Hall important enough to be included in this map?
It is directly a part of the settlement known as The Basin, so no.

Quote:
- It would also be cool to mark the Twin Peaks with the summit market, what do you think?
Done.

Quote:
- What happened to the Alterac Fortress built by Strom for the Troll Wars? Did it become Alterac City?
Yes.

Quote:
- Where exactly will the Greymane Wall go?
Through the skies!

Quote:
- Is Ambermill part of Dalaran or Gilneas?
Gilneas.

Quote:
- is that a no man's land beside Tempest's Reach?
That map was merely illustrative, not something to be taken literally.

Anyway, I have just finished the list of edits for K. You can take a look; if you have some objections or want something more to be added, this is your last chance.

http://docdro.id/0vdTXua
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Anyway, I have just finished the list of edits for K. You can take a look; if you have some objections or want something more to be added, this is your last chance.

http://docdro.id/0vdTXua
Looks good.

I'm not sure if I would add Mistmantle Manor as a POI. Around 90 percent sure that the Mistmantle family was Gilnean and that Stalvan did not leave Gilneas until after the Second War, possibly the Third War. But I will have to double-check the storyline later when I have more time.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:12 AM

Eternal

That's awesome, I love the dedication of all of you.

Hey, Sun's Reach, is it a separate harbor town in Quel'Danas, or part of Dawnstar Village? Or does it not even exist yet?
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Looks good.

I'm not sure if I would add Mistmantle Manor as a POI. Around 90 percent sure that the Mistmantle family was Gilnean and that Stalvan did not leave Gilneas until after the Second War, possibly the Third War. But I will have to double-check the storyline later when I have more time.
It does hail from Gilneas. Stalvan calls himself Stalvan Mistmantle of Silverpine. However, I have been thinking about having a secondary branch of Mistmantles in Azeroth, one that would die during the First War, leaving their estate to the Gilnean branch.

But I can leave that idea behind.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:41 AM

Eternal

I guess there's also Northridge Lumber Camp south of Hearthglen that mimics Eastvale Logging Camp, but I don't think it needs to be added

Speaking about cluttered, might I suggest not naming every troll ruin in Stranglethorn? Just marking them might be enough.

And purely because of world building, why is it there are basically no troll ruins outside of Stranglethorn/Swamp of Sorrows? I mean, the Gurubashi Empire extended well into Stormwind. In Lordaeron, we see forest troll villages in many different places from the Plaguelands to Arathi to Silverpine (in lore, anyway).
Old 05-24-2016, 08:24 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I guess there's also Northridge Lumber Camp south of Hearthglen that mimics Eastvale Logging Camp, but I don't think it needs to be added

Speaking about cluttered, might I suggest not naming every troll ruin in Stranglethorn? Just marking them might be enough.

And purely because of world building, why is it there are basically no troll ruins outside of Stranglethorn/Swamp of Sorrows? I mean, the Gurubashi Empire extended well into Stormwind. In Lordaeron, we see forest troll villages in many different places from the Plaguelands to Arathi to Silverpine (in lore, anyway).
1. I agree it is not really neccessary to be added.

2. We shall see how is it going to look.

3. You would probably find some if you would dig deep enough.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:54 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
It does hail from Gilneas. Stalvan calls himself Stalvan Mistmantle of Silverpine. However, I have been thinking about having a secondary branch of Mistmantles in Azeroth, one that would die during the First War, leaving their estate to the Gilnean branch.

But I can leave that idea behind.
Perhaps Stalvan Mistmantle moved into a manor that had previously belonged to one of the Grand Hamlet noble families who died in Karazhan?

Quote:
Perhaps there was a difference between the de jure and de facto areas of imperial control? It's also possible that the Gurubashi Empire also included non-trolls in their control. So the reason why we don't find as many significant troll ruins in that area is maybe because the territory was primarily inhabited by gnolls, kobolds, murlocs, etc. Keep in mind, we also don't really see troll ruins (apart from their inhabited villages) in Quel'thalas, though we know that the Amani Empire controlled the entire area. Of particular note here is the fact that we were told that Silvermoon was built atop troll ruins.

I suspect that Gurubashi trolls also lived in the Swamp of Sorrows and Blasted Lands regions. Did the orcs also just build atop those sites as well? Were they destroyed by the Alliance's March to the Dark Portal? Did the Alliance build Nethergarde atop troll ruins? Or did the Blasted Lands destroy these ruins as well?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Eternal

I guess lorewise you could still find some ruins lying around, deep in the forest. An archeologist might venture into Westfall or say Hillsbrad and dig up tools or weapons or even the wall of an ancient troll town.

And the famous ruins that we can still easily see today in Stranglethorn, Tanaris, Hinterlands, Arathi.. These are better kept because modern trolls still build their huts inside the ancient walls.

Last edited by Ethenil; 05-24-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Perhaps Stalvan Mistmantle moved into a manor that had previously belonged to one of the Grand Hamlet noble families who died in Karazhan?
Hmm, that could certainly work too. But I will probably remove it from the map in such a case.

Quote:
Perhaps there was a difference between the de jure and de facto areas of imperial control? It's also possible that the Gurubashi Empire also included non-trolls in their control. So the reason why we don't find as many significant troll ruins in that area is maybe because the territory was primarily inhabited by gnolls, kobolds, murlocs, etc. Keep in mind, we also don't really see troll ruins (apart from their inhabited villages) in Quel'thalas, though we know that the Amani Empire controlled the entire area. Of particular note here is the fact that we were told that Silvermoon was built atop troll ruins.

I suspect that Gurubashi trolls also lived in the Swamp of Sorrows and Blasted Lands regions. Did the orcs also just build atop those sites as well? Were they destroyed by the Alliance's March to the Dark Portal? Did the Alliance build Nethergarde atop troll ruins? Or did the Blasted Lands destroy these ruins as well?
A sound theory.

I have a different one (which can be easily combined with yours). During the times of ancient Kalimdor, the lands of Stormwind were actually very arid, almost a desert. So, the jungle trolls held nominal dominion over the land, but did not really inhabit it. And after the Sundering, they were too preoccupied by fighting their civil wars to actually expand to the north themselves. Hence why there are no actual ruins of theirs.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:56 PM

Eternal

Questions:

- why did you decide to make the region East of Loch Modan arid? It could very well be forest or grassland. Don't have any problem with that, just curious :p

- should Loch Modan maybe have a bit more of green in it? Seems a bit strange but I understand due to elevation;

- do you imagine there being many other dwarven villages or town that are inside a mountain in the way of Ironforge? Or is that only for the largest cities?

- have/will you make up names for random villages and towns and such when you detail specific regions in the written part of the encyclopedia? It would be fun to see what other kind of names there are around, and give a bigger feeling to the world;

- a technical question: what exactly separates woods and forests? For example, what's the distinction between Elwynn Forest, Brightwood and Westwood? This happens in the real world too;

- let's say a gryphon with a rider left Dalaran, what would the range be of one day of travel? I'm asking this for a sense of scale - I'm really bad at that xD

- what is Dun Morogh? The mountains are called Khaz, and the kingdom is Khaz Modan... So what is it?

- what are the borders of Khaz Modan? I'm specially interested in how much south the kingdom limits extend

Thanks for everything

Last edited by Ethenil; 05-24-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Tags
cartography, warcraft