Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 04-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
As an aside, what do folks think should be beyond the veil of constant storms in Gruthar?
A mystery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:12 AM

Eternal

Quote:
You're too humble Gromak, they sound awesome.
Much appreciated. I brainstorm about these sort of things quite a lot, but this is the first time I actually put this into words.

Quote:
Questions: Have the Rak'shari established any holdings outside their homeland, trading posts or observation places or anything?
The way I envisioned them they are quite isolated. There might be some scholar or trader or adventure who left his home, but that would be extremely rare. They do, however, inhibit the various smaller island surrounding their home continent.

Quote:
What's their architecture like? Mayincatec style like WoW trolls or more organic bone and leather type stuff?
I was thinking Mayaincatec since I imagine them quite Aztec-like, especially with the whole blood-sacrifices part of their culture.

Quote:
Is there conflict between the 'preserve for future' aspect of their culture and the 'survival of the fittest' aspects?
There's certainly an interesting dynamic here. I think there are definitely elements among them that see these efforts as a waste of time and resources, I mean, if it needs their help to not die out, why should that species keep on going? But I think the general consensus among the Rak'shari is that while they're preserving them, they don't babysit them. They want the species to face the danger of extinction without actually being in that danger, so to speak, in the hopes that they may adapt, rise and overcome this challenge and come out stronger and being able to live on their own once again.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning More fun facts about Xysticids

Istos prefers not to engage in open warfare, relying on stealth and magic to indirectly influence foreign affairs. Though cunning and stealthy, they are relatively fragile.

Xysticid music is some of the most sophisticated in the world. There is a remarkably heavy focus on strings, though.

They can't instantly and arbitrarily change their colors like cuttlefish, but they wish they could. Their carapaces are usually patterned in dappled white, grey, brown, or black. Barring a few rare genetic mutations, their eyes are generally all some shade of green.

They eat outsiders whom they deem too dangerous to let go. It's the ciiircle of liiife!

Most Xysticids are female. Don't ask them how that works, and they won't ask about whatever freaky live-birth shit you get up to.

Each Xysticid city is ruled by an elected council of three known as the Tribunal. Each Tribunal consists of one engineer, one historian, and one hunter/soldier; although all three are generally educated in a range of additional civic and social skills. The capital of Istos is called Erasteraschni and is commanded by the High Tribunal, which is in fact three separate Tribunals and one supreme Arbiter. The nine members of the subordinate Tribunals are elected by Erasteraschni's populace, but the Arbiter is elected directly by those nine.

Xysticids are masters of stealth in wilderness and urban areas alike. They can move through woodlands in utter silence, leaving no tracks, and they can squeeze through cracks normal folks would barely be able to fit their arm through. In outsider cities, they have been known to dart into storm drains to avoid detection. Rumors of cannibal Xysticid clowns offering stray children magic balloons are unsubstantiated, however.

Xysticid culture is obsessed with science, magic, and philosophy. Their desire to find a way to unify totality in one beautiful web of meaning is the driving force of both scientific and social progress. To outsiders, this devotion to an abstract and shining sense of Truth may seem to border on obsession.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Banished

Wink

Orcs, goblins and ogres only? What a trash idea and a WoD Draenor ripoff
Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning Where the humans at

A fantasy world without humans is like a sandwich without bread. How do they fit into all this? I won't accept that they live bottled up on a single continent, because restlessness for the expanding horizon is a fundamental quality of the species. They should be everywhere, getting underfoot of the elder races, making trouble for the goblinoids, cutting deals with everyone who'll listen, and generally being their usual superstitious, adaptable, self-absorbed selves.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM

Eternal

More Lizard stuff.

Since they are always searching for useful traits that can be consumed, Rak'shari are very interested in studying other lifeforms as well as preserving them, since the extinction of a race would mean less possibly desirable traits and less variety within the world. The ultimate goal of these preservation is that the species in question rises up and becomes stronger not only to the point where they can exist without the help of the Rak'shari, but also where they pose a actual challenge or danger to them, so that they might gain mutations while fighting or consuming them, pushing the Rak'shari evolution ever forward.

As blood is sacred to them, the Rak'shari are disgusted by beings that do not have blood - like constructs or ghosts - or those whose blood has long stopped flowing - like undead.

Being firm believers in the natural strength of the inhabitants of the world, Rak'shari hate everything artificial - like industry and machinery.

Rak'shari are only given a name once they've experienced their first mutation.

Priests and Magic
Rak'shari Priests wield a variety of extremely potent and powerful magic, though their specialty lies within the manipulation of blood of allies and enemies alike. They may instill an insatiable thirst for blood in their allies, sending them into a wild frenzy, or make them significantly more durable or stronger by altering the characteristics of the blood. They may also call upon the blood and forcefully rip it out of the bodies of their enemies. Power over this lifeforce is a mighty tool indeed.

A Rak'shari Priest may also add some of his own sacred blood or that of multiple blood-sacrifices before he casts a spell to severely amplify it's power. The more blood or the more powerful blood he sacrifices, the more his spells are boosted in power.

Beast-Bloods
A Beast-Blood is a Rak'shari who consumed the blood of a beast to form an everlasting bond between them. Once the link is established, the Rak'shari and his beast are inseparable. Often times one sees the Rak'shari begin to mutate and take on traits of his partnered beast. Should one of them perish, the survivor will go into a mindless frenzy and will not stop until it too perishes. These Beast-Bloods often take the field as the cavalry or air forces of the Rak'shari armies.

There are stories of Beast-Bloods bonding with more than one beast and essentially becoming a pack-leader of sorts. However, bonding with multiple beasts is a dangerous activity, as it may very well end up in the Beast-Blood losing his individuality and mind to the multiple beasts.

Last edited by Gromak; 04-27-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM

Problemsolver

Holler at me when you've got proper descriptions of the world's geographical layout, and are in need a cartographer. I might be of service.

Here's my resumé.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Orcs, goblins and ogres only? What a trash idea and a WoD Draenor ripoff
Thanks for the critique Genya, please join in the fun and whip up a nation or species of your own too!

@Aneurysm

Thanks a ton, I think I'll have a general idea by this weekend for you to work with, I'll leave some places for new ideas too though

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-27-2017, 02:51 PM

Eternal

So on this aspect I'm a little torn. I really like the concept in of itself but I'm not sure if this is a good/believable way to handle it. Thoughts and comments would be very much appreciated.

The Great Hunger
The Great Hunger for evolution and improvement is a basic desire for every Rak'shari. It is what drove them from being just another reptilian species to the rulers of their home continent. However, sometimes the Great Hunger overtakes the Rak'shari, or it mutated too much in a short period of time. The result the Rak'shari has lost it's sanity and is now nothing but a near mindless, savage beast, driven by an abyssal hunger that cannot be sated.

These Rak'shari are known as the Hungerers.

To be lost to the Great Hunger is possibly the worst fate that could befell a Rak'shari, as one loses almost all senses of self and individuality.They are imprisoned deep within the Temples of the Hungerer, guarded by an elite group of Rak'shari warriors and a single Priest. However, this is no ordinary Priest. By drinking the deeply tainted and corrupted blood of the Hungerers, this Priest may form a bond with the mindless Horde and exort some form of control over them, keeping them from tearing each other apart and destroying the temple (and the city) around them, or commanding them to fight their enemies. The Priest himself puts him in an immensely dangerous situation, as through the drinking and establishing a bond he is in the constant danger of also ending upconsumed by the madness and hunger of the Great Hunger. This risk is taken for a reason: their need for consumation has driven the Hungerers mad, but it also turned them into near perfect killing machines and quite possibly the strongest, most destructive force on the continent of the Rak'shari.

Almost all Rak'shari both fear and hate the Hungerers for their mindlessness and lack of self, however they neverless possess incredible strength and might due to their sole focus on consuming and evolving. Still, the opinion on them is split. The two most extreme ends are the ones who see them as the greatest threat there is to the Rak'shari way of life and that they represent everything they stand against, wanting to purify their race from the Great Hunger and eradicating everyone afflicted with it; and those who think the Hungerers represent the apex of Rak'shari evolution and advocate that the entire species should embrace the Great Hunger.

The current way of treating is somewhere in the middle. While incredibly dangerous, they're also very powerful and too useful to somply be killed off. As such they are sealed deep within the Temples of the Hunger and guarded by an elite group of Rak'shari warriors as well as a Hungerpriest, being watched over and only unleashed when times are truly desperate, for when this unstoppable wave of flesh, teeth and claws sweeps over the field, nothing remains.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:12 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Thanks for the critique Genya, please join in the fun and whip up a nation or species of your own too!
You still read Genya's posts? WTF?

Seriously, when was the last time he posted anything worth reading?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
You still read Genya's posts? WTF?

Seriously, when was the last time he posted anything worth reading?
I'm trying to be polite and sarcastic at the same time

As for your humans question though I have an idea but I want to wait till I get home to type it out

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-27-2017, 03:35 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Xysticids, alas, do not drink alcohol, being strictly carnivorous. Moreover, they don't quite understand the purpose of ingesting a known poison.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:32 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Xysticids, alas, do not drink alcohol, being strictly carnivorous. Moreover, they don't quite understand the purpose of ingesting a known poison.
Masochism is an unknown concept to them?

Or the poetry of needing to kill something intangible within you?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:38 PM

Eternal

Quote:
But do they drink actual poison? Being spiders and all, do they have some resistance to it or are they just as vulnerable to it as most other species?
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM

World Builder

Need some gnolls in here too

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
But do they drink actual poison? Being spiders and all, do they have some resistance to it or are they just as vulnerable to it as most other species?
Substances other races find poisonous are not poisonous to Xysticids, and substances that Xysticids find poisonous are not necessarily poisonous to other races.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:07 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Substances other races find poisonous are not poisonous to Xysticids, and substances that Xysticids find poisonous are not necessarily poisonous to other races.
Hm. Do Xysticids have some innate ability to create poison themselves?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:57 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Hm. Do Xysticids have some innate ability to create poison themselves?
Venom, dammit, venom. If it bites you and you die, it's venom, not poison.

But yeah, their venom is pretty horrifying stuff.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:

It's 3 am over here. Cut me some slack.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
It's 3 am over here. Cut me some slack.
I'll let it go. This time.

How do the Rak'shari feel about poisons and/or venoms? Is that covered by their blood magic in any way?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 PM

World Builder

Quote:

Are Venomancers a thing? Silk casters? What are their magic specializations like?

Same question to the Rakshari Gromak, blood enhances their spells but are they mostly enhancers? Fiery? Lightning? Nonelemental bolts of energy?

Grutharin casters tend towards fire, rock and metal themselves, but their weavers tend towards blood and slime

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:03 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Are Venomancers a thing? Silk casters? What are their magic specializations like?
Metamagics and divination are the most popular branches of magical study. Xysticids are chiefly concerned with knowing, for after all, knowledge is the purest form of power.

They also study all kinds of other magic and arcane science, of course. Alchemy is pretty big, and so is apothecary, but no full-blown Venomancers.

Though some suspect their skill in weaving and spinning is magically enhanced, they're really just naturally that good.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:04 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Metamagics and divination are the most popular branches of magical study. Xysticids are chiefly concerned with knowing, for after all, knowledge is the purest form of power.

They also study all kinds of other magic and arcane science, of course. Alchemy is pretty big, and so is apothecary, but no full-blown Venomancers.

Though some suspect their skill in weaving and spinning is magically enhanced, they're really just naturally that good.
You're gonna have to lay out metamagics for me because I'm only familiar with the term as it applies to D&D mechanics but I'm not sure that's what you mean here.

-----

A bit of history.

Humans, were among the first mortal civilizations of the world, contemporaries of naga, dwarves, eurypti, cyclops and a handful of others that succeeded, sealed, or conquered the innumerable primordial beings that once spanned the surface, sometimes with the help of the first gods and other outsiders.

Although records from the past are relatively scarce, they indicate humans spread across the world and established nations that spanned continents, always with the same varied temperaments and values that they are known for in modern times.

Universal to the myriad human cultures scattered across the world though is that roughly 300 years ago they all fell to ruin in short order. Arguments vary from culture to culture on the nature and cause of such disasters, whether the Lokusi simply puncuated the calamities or were somehow set loose by them. Indeed, even the physical evidence from the ruins seems greatly contradictory, in the sprawling southern jungles of Xaxalin is an entire city turned to molten glass amidst the trees, where nothing will grow, and figures of its citizens stand frozen in their last moments. The mercantile city-state of Merulos appears to be built upon the ruins of a single massive stone castle that stretches wider and longer than most islands, which legends say crashed in the middle of the ocean around the same time frame. The great eastern deserts of Nul'Alwu carry too many detailed and identical reports of the fabled Jeweled City across time for them to simply be mirages.

Sadly efforts to piece together the secrets of the past have met with slow progress. Rumors abound that the feuding elven nations of the northern continent may have pieces to the mystery, or that the archives of Istos may hold more records from that time period, but piecing together the numerous and seemingly contradictory tales is a momentous task that would test even the wisest and most dedicated orders of historians and archivists.

Nonetheless, human nations remain close to these ancient ruins and sites of power, with many monarchs and orders of magi seeking to study and reclaim their former glory, but as time passes more and more humans branch out, and founding new societies and carving new legends from the world.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:36 PM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

If any pieces to such mysteries exist on the Elven continent then those lies in the lost libraries of the imperial capital and only the gods can tell if they have survived almost 300 years of Lokusi ravaging.
The Elven Magi might know but they speak little when it comes to their arcane knowledge.

The Elven nations have regressed noticeably since the Lokusi arrival. The West lost 2/5 of their lands and nations before the death of the Demigod-Queen, barely holding the Lokusi back along the banks of the broad river Darsanelles. The flames of revolution has been lit in some of the smaller nations which has put the fragile western alliance into question with the Godking that rules the most powerful nation on the edge of declaring holy war to bring the rebellious commoners on their knees.
The East fared little better with less than half their lands lost which were less populated but their situation was more dire at the end as the Lokusi had breached their fortified strongholds across the plains and savannas, ravaging the cities of the riverlands and even reaching as far as the outskirts of the sprawling network of subsidiary towns that surround the city of the Shahes-in-exile and her high court.

I plan to take these elves on a far different route than my Wind elves. Grittier, crueler and more savage. More primitive and hedonistic. More political and revolutionary. The West is inspired by the romance countries whereas the East is inspired by the east indo-european, like Persia and surrounding peoples. A bit of Sumer and Assyria.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 04-28-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2017, 05:31 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

The Xysticids worship a dancing god of stories, whose true Name is said to contain within itself the complete story of the world's totality. Their search for a perfect truth, and a comprehensive understanding of the universe, is in some ways motivated by their love for this god and their desire to become closer to him. When the great web spans the cosmos and all is revealed to their eightfold eyes, the Xysticids in unison will chant his Name.

Quote:
You're gonna have to lay out metamagics for me
I am entranced by the potential for parallelism between 'physic' and 'magic.' Just as metaphysics is an analysis of reality's fundamental nature - the study of that which lies beyond physics, if you will - Xysticid metamagics is the study of magic itself - where it comes from, what it is, and how it intersects with the traditionally observable 'reality.'

Quote:
Universal to the myriad human cultures scattered across the world though is that roughly 300 years ago they all fell to ruin in short order.
Only 300 years ago? That's almost living memory for some races! And no knows exactly what happened?

Quote:
the archives of Istos
Yes, yes, Istos is full of secrets! The Xysticids collect them, and hoard them for themselves!
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
collaboration, solthris, worldbuilding