Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 11-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Druid of the Claw

/applause.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:40 AM

Echo of the Past

Grackle's Headcanon for the Day: After several scathing essays back-and-forth, each heavily circulated in the academic spheres, the famed historians Urok Scratcher and Milan finally sat face-to-face for the first time at the Orgrimmar inn, a few months after Silvermoon had officially joined the Horde. The two had actually fought on opposite sides at Tol Barad and Nethergarde Keep, but they had never technically met.

On that afternoon and into the night, their arguments ranged from the reasons for the outcomes of the First and Second Wars... the significance of warlock influence in the histories of both the orcs and the blood elves... the question of whether necromancy is naturally linked to shamanism and druidism... the best course of action for the blood elves in dealing with the renegade high elves... the historical implications of an undead elf ruling over an undead human kingdom... the question of inevitibility, with the ejection of the Sunreavers from Dalaran, and whether the consequences are likewise inevitable... the biological nature of an orc's craving for battle and danger, whether it can be satiated, and whether it should... the comparison of this battle-craving to the elves' own magic-craving, and whether this comparison was fair or legitimate... the feasibility of a Ner'zhulian solution of infinite portals for infinite worlds to conquer--guaranteeing the natural resource of "killable enemies" will never run out... versus the feasibility of summoning enemies from other worlds, containing them, and battling them from the safety of Azeroth.

Scratcher and Milan still meet every few months to drink and to have intense, curse-spewing debates with each other. They've formed a solid friendship from it.

Most of the in-game Histories were written by Milan, years ago. Scratcher is attempting his own series documenting events on Draenor and Outland, a difficult task since historical records before the orcs' time are few and far between.

In the meantime, Urok Scratcher's opus is a military text on the Second War called Seas of Blood, demonstrating that Gul'dan's betrayal had very little to do with the Horde losing the war, and that it was already lost when Doomhammer chose to send his orcs across the Great Sea in undefended transports - resulting in thousands of orcs dying at Proudmoore's cannons (literally decimating) before ever making landfall in the Hillsbrad Foothills. He continues on to Doomhammer's failed assaults on Hillsbrad, Aerie Peak, and Silvermoon City; then the miracle of Alterac's betrayal - which saved the Horde from an early demise; and then how Doomhammer squandered this chance by sending the Black Tooth Grin to their deaths, on undefended transports again, out of petty vindictiveness against the Stormreavers. In several sections, Scratcher directly compares Doomhammer's failures to the successes of other, contemporary orcs: Rend Blackhand, responsible for the only battles resembling victories that Doomhammer ever saw... Varok Saurfang, master tactician of Khaz Modan and the bane of Dalaran...even Blackhand the Elder, whose gradual and systematic destruction of mighty Azeroth served as a bitter contrast to the manner in which Doomhammer's decisions led to the massacre of tens of thousands of his own soldiers within a few months.

Scratcher's book is banned in Durotar and unpopular in the Eastern Kingdoms, though it has a strong following among those few in the Dark Horde who are literate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by excerpt from Seas of Blood, by Urok Scratcher
And the same could be said for those who embraced the dragon slaves as the Horde's ultimate salvation. Not to say that the dragonflights were a weakness to us - indeed, they were as powerful a weapon as any. Yet it is a foolish warrior who leads with his axe pointed forward, swinging wildly, neglecting his battlestance. Unfortunately for the Horde, this is how its leaders understood their new dragon weapons. It became apparent at Quel'Thalas, at Crestfall, at Alterac, at Baradin Bay, and most demonstrably at Grim Batol, that though the dragons were indeed slaves of the orcs, it was far more accurate to say that the orcs had become slaves to the dragons.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-16-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 AM

The Sun King

AWESOME!

Quote:
Varok Saurfang, master tactician of Khaz Modan and the bane of Dalaran...
Ha! I see you liked my Battle of Dalaran headcanon!

Well, they needed the Eye for something, right?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM

Echo of the Past

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Ha! I see you liked my Battle of Dalaran headcanon!

Well, they needed the Eye for something, right?
Oh yes, that is very much from you.

And I know you like to place Scratcher as commander at Tol Barad, so that there's a greater variety of generals on different fronts in this war. But I so much like the vision of Saurfang vs. Afrasiabi (with Scratcher and Milan, respectively, commanding smaller units under them) at this battle that it refuses to leave my headcanon. Mainly because the interaction between Alliance Level 5 and Horde Level 5 is just so intriguing.

Afrasiabi's Stormwind Brigade, before relieving Tol Barad and assaulting Dun Modr (green = Azeroth-Stormwind)

The maps are practically identical. For Alliance Level 5, Stromgarde forces occupy Tol Barad. Black Tooth Grin forces are headquartered at Dun Modr on the mainland, but the battle begins with them attacking the Tol Barad barracks. It is up to the Azeroth-Stormwind forces to reach the island quickly and end the raiding, then to conquer Dun Modr on the mainland.

Saurfang's BTG forces, before the counterattack against Afrasiabi's brigade and push on to Tol Barad (green = Black Tooth Grin)

For Horde Level 5, Stromgarde forces still occupy Tol Barad. But now, even though your orcish briefer tells you that Horde Dun Modr is under "siege", it is in fact completely destroyed. Azeroth-Stormwind forces have built their own little base on the site by the time the mission begins, and the protagonist Black Tooth Grin forces are north of the location without a base of their own. So they steamroll down, stomp the Azeroth-Stormwind conquerors to oblivion, rebuild on the site, and finish the job in Tol Barad.

It's a fun sequence if you imagine the Human Level and then the Orc Level taking place one after the other, an effect that I don't think you can replicate with any other two missions (because even with Hillsbrad and Zul'dare, it feels like Hillsbrad would've been destroyed from a different orc base and Zul'dare would've been destroyed from another unrelated human base).

Combine that with the fact that WoW verifies Tol Barad as a Horde victory and, more importantly, a battle that in fact still exists in lore... and the fact that Metzen's CDev basically builds Saurfang up as the Warcraft II commander, despite him not appearing in ToD's depiction of the war in continental Lordaeron... AND the fact that Blood of Our Fathers specifically describes Afrasiabi as the kind to get frustrated when a plan begins to hit complications and falls apart... I think it fits perfectly.

In general, Rosenberg's vagueness on the Khaz Modan front means that this dwarven land holds so much lush potential for the Second War. For example, it's entirely possible that Tol Ronal and Dun Argath were two Bronzebeard strongholds that got overrun and completely destroyed by Urok Scratcher--or any other neglected Horde commander--before Horde forces consolidated at Thandol. Perhaps that scene of the human soldier firing the orcish catapult at the goblin zeppelin... the cutscene from Warcraft II depicting events at Grim Batol, recreated in the Warcraft III ending credits... perhaps it still happened near Loch Modan, either during that early phase or during the supposedly uneventful Alliance march to Ironforge.

It's like the First War, and how even now it has an aura of mystique and potential. Because, due to Blizzard's neglect, we know almost nothing about its finer military details.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-28-2014 at 01:10 AM..
Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM

The Sun King

I think Dun Modr is supposed to be an old dwarven fortress occupied by the orcs. I presume that we never see the actual Dun Modr in game ( it is further to the north-east) and that the coastal orc/human base in level 5 is simply its port/outpost. Therefore, when Afrasiabi destroys the BTG base and settles his own, he, in fact, only settles the siege camp around the actual Dun Modr, while Saurfang's counterattack force arrives right from the sieged fortress' gates in its defense.

Also, I always considered the blue Alliance faction in the game ("Nation of Azeroth") to also represent the united Alliance forces (at the beginning you answer to Lothar and then Terenas in Southern Lordaeron, then arrive to unite with Baradine/Stormgarde/Dwarven forces in the south, but then the same blue faction is seen holding Quel'Thalas. On the other hand, the white Alliance faction is specifically forces of the Kingdom of Lordaeron, without other allied states.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Also, I always considered the blue Alliance faction in the game ("Nation of Azeroth") to also represent the united Alliance forces (at the beginning you answer to Lothar and then Terenas in Southern Lordaeron, then arrive to unite with Baradine/Stormgarde/Dwarven forces in the south, but then the same blue faction is seen holding Quel'Thalas. On the other hand, the white Alliance faction is specifically forces of the Kingdom of Lordaeron, without other allied states.
That would explain why Stratholme is blue... either united Alliance, or it was meant to be a blue-Quel'thalas city originally.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
That would explain why Stratholme is blue... either united Alliance, or it was meant to be a blue-Quel'thalas city originally.
Given that Quel'Thalas itself was defended by knights and footmen, and not only archers and mages, I'll go with "united Alliance" explanation.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM

Echo of the Past

Crossed Swords (War2)

Quote:
Given that Quel'Thalas itself was defended by knights and footmen, and not only archers and mages, I'll go with "united Alliance" explanation.
That's fair. Of course, I consider a lot of "united Alliance" going on with the units in this game and in Warcraft III. Most obviously with the racial elven/dwarven/gnomish units (able to be members of any "human nation").

But also, as I've said in other threads before, I think an argument could even be made that most/all the Knight units come from Lordaeron, regardless of faction. That requires a lot more speculation and stretching, of course. And it's based mainly on the narratives of how Azeroth-Stormwind's knights were overwhelmingly killed in the First War, along with my estimation of the limited usefulness of knight units in mountainous Stromgarde, maritime Kul Tiras, and magocentric Dalaran. And also the stylized "L" on all their shields.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM

The Sun King

Alliance Flag

Well, Dalaran canonically had a multiracial population, Kul Tiras likely too... Gilneas or Stromgarde not so much - but then, Gilneas also had more dwarves than any other expedition in WCIII...

Wanna solve a crazier lorelol?

Warcraft III. First Arthas's mission in Dalaran. Violet Dalaran walls. Blue "L" banners.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Warcraft III. First Arthas's mission in Dalaran. Violet Dalaran walls. Blue "L" banners.
Fits with The Last Guardian.

"Khadgar. Of Dalaran. Khadgar of Dalaran, in the kingdom of Lordaeron."
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Fits with The Last Guardian.

"Khadgar. Of Dalaran. Khadgar of Dalaran, in the kingdom of Lordaeron."
And, thinking about it, the Road to Damnation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonidas
A sigh. "I am aware that you spend most of your time in the north these days. Your increasingly lengthy absences were what caught my attention in the first place. Yet even you must have heard that the king's new tax has given rise to civil unrest. Your selfish pursuit of power could incite the peasantry to revolt. Lordaeron would be engulfed in civil war."
Wow, some disagreements between the mages of Dalaran may incite civil war in Lordaeron!

But wait, there's more!
Quote:
"In light of the evidence," Antonidas said heavily, "King Terenas has agreed with our judgment. If you do not abandon this madness, you will be stripped of your rank and holdings, and you will be exiled from Dalaran- indeed, from all of Lordaeron."
Still, I think the flags are too much, even an autonomy deserves its own flags. But Lordaeron Empire does not care!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:29 AM

Echo of the Past

Map

Grackle's Old "Roleplaying" Character

For anyone wondering, the avatar I most commonly use is my fancharacter from 1996-1997.

I didn't have very many details for him at the time... I didn't even have a name for him... but he was the captain of the Elven Destroyer on the left, in the Battle at Darrowmere (Human Mission 9).

This is what I did know: he was a veteran of something I called "The Troll War". In my mind, the Troll War was a conflict that happened a number of years before the orcs came through the Portal, and it was mainly a war between Silvermoon and the Troll kingdom, with human Stromgarde joining against the trolls toward the end.

Do you see the river and delta to the left of Alterac on the map below? I think modern lore named it the Thondroril River? Well, anyway, in my head this was where the last major battle of "the Troll War" took place.

And in my mind, the delta had violent cataracts. Perhaps because we had been talking about the Nile cataracts at school at the time.

In that battle, I'd say that the Trolls had pushed the Elves past this river and were attempting to cross themselves, but that the Elves counterattacked before the Trolls finished crossing and brought massive casualties. Simple, I know.

~ ~ ~

I don't... quite remember if I'd set down what my character's motivations were during the Second War. I think that maybe he had become unfavorable to Quel'thalas's ruling government, and he was trying to reshape a new regime that he'd have more influence in. All of the "Alterac Elves" in Human Missions 9 and 11 (Destruction of Alterac) had the same ideology as him, fighting alongside the Alterac traitors and the Stormreaver orcs against the Alliance. Yeah, my character was also conspiring with Gul'dan, though he didn't know his intentions. And sure it's Sue-ish to make your fancharacter hobnob with big important people and lead subfactions, but who was gonna complain to my 13-year-old self about it in 1996?

There was some scheme involving the peasants' revolt in Tyr's Hand being used to distract the main paladin forces, which would force Uther to travel to Caer Darrow to comfort the populace for some reason, and after his death there'd be some kind of domestic backlash in the Northlands... it was a little vague to me at the time, admittedly. I think it was something about the people losing faith in the paladins, or the paladins losing faith in their cause... who knows. But somehow there would be other steps, leading to a quick revolution in Silvermoon and a new government sympathetic to my character.

My choice of an Elven Destroyer unit, I remember, was heavily influenced by the TIE Fighter video game (1994) and the more recent Independence Day movie (1996). Yeah, I liked Independence Day. It had explosions. You shut up! Even though a ship like that would have a large crew, I think I still saw something in it that made me think of those fighter pilot types. I don't know why.

Anyway, my character petitioned Lord Perenolde to commit more forces to the Darrowmere Battle, more forces than one lousy battleship. Perenolde was too timid and refused, so of course the battle failed. My character's Elven Destroyer sank, though he managed to escape capture. Several human crewman from the battleship however, that stupid battleship, were caught and interrogated... and then Alterac was destroyed along with my character's Elven Archer comrades. After that his story basically ended, bitter and in hiding.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not sure if something so juvenile can be salvaged into a roleplaying character nowadays. It's easy enough to say that my character had killed Trolls in minor past conflicts (and it's entertaining that my idea of a recent "Troll War" sort of matches what Day of the Dragon hinted at in its first paragraph), so that's not so much an issue.

If lore were to tell us that the Sunreavers and Silver Covenant existed as petty political rivals at that time, it would be easy enough for me to say my character was a Sunreaver. But that's not the case... and we don't have any real lore sources for High Elven parties or competing subfactions from those days.

Well... even if I never work out what really happened in my character's past... right now he's a Level 20 Hunter. And whatever else happened, I can still say that he personally threw his lot with Perenolde's early plan to make an agreement with the Horde, even before the orcs landed... only to see it all fall apart when the Horde kept getting roflstomped at every single battle except Quel'thalas. I mean, who in-universe could've guessed that would've happened?!!

A proven fool and traitor, my guy would probably have to go into hiding. Get a Golden Eagle for a pet (before they went extinct in the Alterac Mountains) and name him Aiden, after stupid Aiden. Lay low. Years pass. And then, the Sunwell gets destroyed.

At some point, there'd be a universal offer of amnesty to any former High Elves at odds with the civilized government, since we were all devastated Blood Elves now. Then later, we'd be members of the Horde. And when reflecting on that irony, my character would shake his head and chuckle bitterly, before taking another hit of Bloodthistle. And thinking about his days onboard the Autumn Narwhal. That's what the Elven Destroyer was called, I've decided.

Just thought I'd share!

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 11-29-2015 at 11:02 PM..
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM

Elune

Quote:
At some point, there'd be a universal offer of amnesty to any former High Elves at odds with the civilized government, since we were all devastated Blood Elves now. Then later, we'd be members of the Horde. And when reflecting on that irony, my character Arancio would shake his head and chuckle bitterly, before taking another hit of Bloodthistle. And thinking about his days onboard the Autumn Narwhal. That's what the Elven Destroyer was called, I've decided.

Just thought I'd share!
And sharing is caring!

Anyway I like the last bit, since I do enjoy a good bitter irony. Kinda like my life.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Echo of the Past

Undead Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Anyway I like the last bit, since I do enjoy a good bitter irony. Kinda like my life.
Thanks! And hey, angst is fun!

(And that's from 1997. I wonder if we were in an angst era.)

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-02-2013 at 08:12 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 AM

Elune

Quote:
Thanks! And hey, angst is fun!

(And that's from 1997. I wonder if we were in an angst era.)
Kinda makes you wonder if humans were always angsty little shits but given the hard times they lived in they just had to deal with it or die.

Which in turn makes you wonder if the plan Archangel Micheal had in Constantine wasn't so crazy, it may well be that us humans, creatures of the absurd that we are, only show our best qualities when things are the worst.

Damn, now I want to go back to my Philosoraptor avatar.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Which in turn makes you wonder if the plan Archangel Micheal had in Constantine wasn't so crazy, it may well be that us humans, creatures of the absurd that we are, only show our best qualities when things are the worst.
In that sense, more despair to that universe's version of Michael for causing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 10:5-12
“Woe to the Assyrian, the rod of my anger,
in whose hand is the club of my wrath!
6 I send him against a godless nation,
I dispatch him against a people who anger me,
to seize loot and snatch plunder,
and to trample them down like mud in the streets.
7 But this is not what he intends,
this is not what he has in mind;
his purpose is to destroy,
to put an end to many nations.
8 ‘Are not my commanders all kings?’ he says.
9 ‘Has not Kalno fared like Carchemish?
Is not Hamath like Arpad,
and Samaria like Damascus?
10 As my hand seized the kingdoms of the idols,
kingdoms whose images excelled those of Jerusalem and Samaria—
11 shall I not deal with Jerusalem and her images
as I dealt with Samaria and her idols?’”
12 When the Lord has finished all his work against Mount Zion and Jerusalem, he will say, “I will punish the king of Assyria for the willful pride of his heart and the haughty look in his eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 18:7
Woe to the world because of its stumbling blocks! For it is inevitable that stumbling blocks come; but woe to that man through whom the stumbling block comes!
Even on a literary level, we love villains. Gul'dan is one of my favorite characters. But they still should be blamed for the entertaining conflicts they shape.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-02-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
In that sense, more despair to that universe's version of Michael for causing it!

<Biblical quotes>

Even on a literary level, we love villains. Gul'dan is one of my favorite characters. But they still should be blamed for the entertaining conflicts they shape.
Yes, exactly!

While many villains throughout literary history have said that the world needs them to be the bad guy I don't recall any character which seriously espoused this worldview. Either that or the writers were bad at portraying it.

It could be very interesting to see a character who truly believes that his or her evil is needed to keep the world spinning. There are several ways it could be done, the character could be tormented by their actions and spitefully think how it is easy for others to point their finger at him, the bad guy, to feel good about themselves. Or a very philosophical villain who believes that without evil to contrast it all the good in the world is meaningless and as such he takes on the burden of carrying out vile acts in the name of preserving goodness and free will; further nuance could be had on the grounds of weather or not he truly believes what he says, is only rationalizing or perhaps the murky middle ground between the two.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Yes, exactly!

While many villains throughout literary history have said that the world needs them to be the bad guy I don't recall any character which seriously espoused this worldview. Either that or the writers were bad at portraying it.

It could be very interesting to see a character who truly believes that his or her evil is needed to keep the world spinning. There are several ways it could be done, the character could be tormented by their actions and spitefully think how it is easy for others to point their finger at him, the bad guy, to feel good about themselves. Or a very philosophical villain who believes that without evil to contrast it all the good in the world is meaningless and as such he takes on the burden of carrying out vile acts in the name of preserving goodness and free will; further nuance could be had on the grounds of weather or not he truly believes what he says, is only rationalizing or perhaps the murky middle ground between the two.
Sounds like Eve Forward's "Villains by Necessity".
Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Echo of the Past

Human Icon (War3)

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-28-2014 at 01:10 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 AM

Echo of the Past

Crossed Swords (War2) How I Spent My Alterac Vacation

I started to update my Second War thread this morning, with the Destruction of Alterac. Instead, I played the mission again.

So satisfying.

Orange: Perenolde-Loyal Alterac, diabolical wizard mages, schismatic paladins, proto-Sunreavers, etc.
Blue: Stormreaver Horde Garrison
Purple: Alliance-Loyal Alterac
White: Righteous Hammer of Lordaeron, and non-human associates

You haven't lived until you've sacked Alterac.

. . .

Just... just wait until the guitar starts, I think...

(Perenolde Loyalist mages get polymorph. Alliance Loyalist mages don't.)

Goodbye, Lord Perenolde. Mind the collapsing rubble.

Perenolde is dead. Stand down, people of Alterac! It's over! It's all over!

. . .

Just kidding. Scorched earth, boys!

FIN

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-26-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 PM

The Sun King

Hmm... I thought those were literally captured Dalaran reinforcements, what with consisting of mages and elves and all that.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Hmm... I thought those were literally captured Dalaran reinforcements, what with consisting of mages and elves and all that.
Oh, that's definitely a possibility. We'll talk about it Monday or Tuesday, if all goes well. But none of the prisoners are elves, unless you interpret the mages as potentially elven instead of human.

1 escaped mage
2 imprisoned mages
6 imprisoned peasants

EDIT: My retro headcanon, of course, is that the escaped mage will later become the Alterac Mage in the Beyond the Dark Portal campaign--originally turning against Perenolde but eventually determining that Alterac cannot survive under the Alliance's weight of occupation.

Of course, the unnamed Alterac Mage is an abandoned character who probably doesn't exist in lore today.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-27-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Old 07-27-2013, 06:12 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Oh, that's definitely a possibility. We'll talk about it Monday or Tuesday, if all goes well. But none of the prisoners are elves, unless you interpret the mages as potentially elven instead of human.

1 escaped mage
2 imprisoned mages
6 imprisoned peasants
My miscalculation - I thought one of the archers on the screen was among the prisoners. It's been awhile since I played it.

I also completely forgot that it was the Stormreaver Clan that helped Alterac.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 AM

Echo of the Past

Crossed Axes (War2) Filicide

Filicide

He heard a muffled sobbing ahead.

Orgrim Doomhammer stopped and raised his hand, palm-out. His warriors and raiders came to a halt, falling in formation behind him. Orgrim was exhausted, having been roused from his slumber to complete the current mission--such was its urgency--but his body did not show it. The mine was decorated with pieces of ogre, as were his soldiers' axes, hammers, spears, and warblades. Their darkwolf mounts sniffed loudly but had otherwise fallen silent, indicating that none of the lumbering beasts were left alive. These darkwolves were trained to track ogres; they wouldn't have growled for the solitary orc ahead. Orgrim nodded to his second-in-command, who returned the nod in confirmation--he would go into the final room alone.

Orgrim held the doomhammer loosely in his grip; he did not expect an ambush or even a true battle ahead. The sobbing grew louder as he turned the corner and stepped into the next passage. The first thing he saw was a shimmer from the girl's golden earring. Those earrings were surrounded by a sea of thick, coppery hair she had gotten from her mother. The hair spilled over a pair of hands with red-painted claws, which were presently covering her face.

"Griselda," he called softly.

The girl looked up. Tears streamed down her face and dripped from her yellowing fangs. She wiped a bit of snot from her curved, prominent nose. Her eyes were beady and black, but they just now seemed to flash red from the torchlight in the passage. "Don't hurt him!" she screeched. "Don't hurt him!"

The orcish commander didn't answer her. Griselda had surely heard the battle from the outside corridor just a moment ago. Couldn't she realize?

The girl stopped crying and squinted at the newcomer, trying to identify him. "Orgrim?" she murmured. "Why did he send you?"

It sounded like Griselda had expected to see one of her brothers, or perhaps both. Orgrim remembered a comment Rend Blackhand made on the night the Horde had first allied with ogres, about having to "kill them on the sly" from now on. This type of mission probably would've been his cup of mead. The same went for his brother. For the life of him, Orgrim couldn't understand how the two could be so close to each other while being so distant from other blood.

"Father's so mean to me! Why can't he let me go?" Griselda now shrieked. She covered her face with her hands once more, weeping again. "I didn't take anything! I didn't make fun of him! I'm not stopping the war!" Her fiery eyes looked back toward Doomhammer, pleading. "He doesn't want me! He needs to let me go! Let me go-o-o!"

"You are the warchief's daughter."

"He doesn't have to take care of me anymore! I found Turok, Turok's gonna take care of me! Orgrim, don't hurt Turok don't hurt him please! He'll take care of me, it's good! It's good!"

"You disobeyed your father."

Griselda fell to the ground--whether accidentally or on purpose for dramatic effect, Doomhammer couldn't tell. She curled into a fetal position, her body rocking, and bit her teeth into her right forefinger. "I wanna go home to mother! To mother! I don't wanna be here anymore I... I wanna drink the blood! I wanna go back and drink the blood like father and brothers! I'm as good as them I'm strong! I, I, I..." Griselda trailed off into high-pitched, sobbing gibberish, before Orgrim heard a quiet snap from her arm. "AAAAAHHHHHH!!!" she screamed in pain.

Orgrim cringed. Not so long ago, warlock magic had stretched the girl's body from 6 years to 11 years of age. Most young orcs hadn't suffered side-effects from the process--other than the loss of the years themselves--but Griselda was among the less lucky ones. Orgrim knew her joints came out of place periodically. She also complained about her bones hurting, usually during winter months. At first it was difficult for her to articulate the pain; mentally she was still 7 or 8. That mentality also made it difficult to understand other changes occurring in her body, changes that normally come to a budding young female. She had asked for her mother then as well.

She wept still, but not merely for the pain in her arm. She had just realized something. "You killed him already. You killed him like a hoof-foot or a pinkskin. He was gonna take care of me. He was gonna be my mate. We were gonna have a family... Orgrim, he's so big and strong, but he holds me and it doesn't hurt." She sniffled. "I didn't know you could be big like that and still hold someone without hurting. And you killed him."

"I wish you had come to me earlie..."

"ALL YOU DO IS MAKE THINGS DIE!" she screamed. "YOU JUST HIT AND HIT AND THEY DIE! THEY DIE-I-I! IT'S NOT FAIR! YOU KILL EVERYTHING-ING-ING! AND NOW YOU KILLED MY MA-A-A-A-ATE!!!" Griselda's tirade merged with the pain from her dislocated arm, so that Orgrim couldn't tell the principle cause of her current screams.

He had to end this now. Taking a step toward Griselda, he lifted the doomhammer above his shoulder.

As Griselda stared into Orgrim's eyes, a different realization struck her. Unfortunately, it was the wrong one. "Father didn't let you drink it either!" Her mouth formed an angular shape of wonder. "Why didn't he let you drink? You're strong! Maybe we can both find the blood again, Orgrim, you and me! And we can drink it together, and we'll show father we're just as strong as he is! We can make things better! We'll both drink it, and then we'll be like the others, and he'll have to leave us alone! We'll be strong like them and we can kill things too! Orgrim! I'M NOT GOING BACK TO FATHER! I'M NOT GOING BACK!"

"That was never an option."

Griselda flinched with an unexpected quickness, causing the doomhammer to merely graze the side of her head. For a split second she looked confused, bringing her hand to her bruised cheek. But at last she understood. The high-pitched squeal was one Orgrim had heard from her once before... when had he heard it? That's right. It was a few years ago, when Maim was pulling her hair and wouldn't let go.

Griselda had been on the ground because of her tantrum, but now she scrambled back to her feet. She tried to run.

Standard practice was to return with the target's head as proof that the task had been done. The head could then be displayed prominently, as a sign of the warchief's power and as a warning to his enemies. Orgrim had burned her body instead. Blackhand's message was vague, so he would probably get away with little reprimand. His warriors didn't say a word. They had now been marching for about four kilometers.

"Overlord Doomhammer, have you any children?" a soldier in the front of the column asked.

"Enough of that noise, warrior," the second-in-command for Orgrim answered on his behalf. "Set your mind to the coming battle. The humans are proving themselves a nuisance in the Red Ridge Mountains. We're going to make them regret it, aren't we?!"

"LOK'TAR!" the column shouted as one.

He was blatantly trying to quash the comment, but the warrior in the front wasn't letting it go. "And you, Saurfang? Have you any children?"

The second-in-command didn't answer at first. "None. None yet," he finally said.

"My father would always tell me... that if a son or daughter joined the ancestors before the father, it was a terrible dishonor for the father."

"Eitrigg, that's enough," the second growled.

"And if, somehow, a son or daughter joined the ancestors through the father's own actions, they would bar his way from returning home. He would never join the ancestors himself but would wander forever, without aim or purpose."

"Enough!" the second glared back, his hand tightening around his axe. And the warrior in the front column did stop speaking. He had made his point.

Orgrim Doomhammer looked to the ground as his soldiers continued marching. He had stayed silent up to this point, but now he spoke. "Warrior, have you any children?"

"I have two sons, Overlord. They are strong. Brave. Both serve in the warchief's honor guard. They make me proud. They make me proud, because they are my blood." He nodded once. "They each survived the last war, as did I. May they survive this present war. And the next. And the next. And the next." He spoke of the predicted wars in a forlorn, resigned tone. "At least until I have died first."

They marched in silence for a moment, and Orgrim's second-in-command looked to him. Orgrim met his eyes for an instant, then looked away. The commander's voice nearly broke, "Warrior Eitrigg, your children are dead already. As are any new children you sire from this point. As are you."

The warrior in front did not respond, but it was impossible to ignore the silent question hanging in the air.

Orgrim Doomhammer's voice was a quiet rumble. "The spirits do not rest at home anymore, warrior. Not since the earth turned silent to us. They all wander now without aim, without purpose, without rest. So do not worry about the ancestors rejecting you. Do not worry about our children dying first and rejecting us then. We have already killed them. We are the victors."

They were silent the rest of the march.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-22-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 07-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Echo of the Past

Lumber (War3) New World Hymn (Fair Azeroth, My Home)

New World Hymn (Fair Azeroth, My Home)
"New World Hymn" is a Stormwind patriotic song popularized during the kingdom's founding days, after the great migration. The final verse is the only one sung often, traditionally during New Year's celebration amid fireworks. It is notable that in the hymn, "Azeroth" refers to the continent instead of the world.

After the First War, in one famous incident, the entire hymn was spontaneously sung by a tearful host of Stormwind refugees aboard hundreds of fleeing ships. The ships had only sailed a few days away from Stormwind when New Years Day arrived. Eyewitnesses remember being able to see distant fires and plumes of smoke from Stormwind Keep, still burning into the night, serving as a tragic substitute to the usual fireworks*.

*NOTE: Previous paragraph uses the interpretation that Lothar led his refugees soon after the fall of Stormwind and death of King Llane, instead of taking a year to do so without any other kingdom in the world realizing that Stormwind had lost a war and had its king killed for a full year. This version is the one given in every known Warcraft lore source except for a recent tweet.

Recommended Melody:
(most verses sung to the verse melody; third-to-last and final verses sung to the chorus melody)

Lyrics
Shall we yet dream Arathi fields
Each time in sleep we lie?
Or are its mountains, forests, lakes
Forever lost in time?

And do the walls of mighty Strom
Still echo with our name?
Or are the echoes that live on
Cast from those who remain?

When strangers pass through Algaz gate
With Thandol's dirt trod 'neath,
Does one behold the prints of late
From Arathor's own feet?

And when one stands 'midst Redridge pass,
Hears Elwynn's voices sing,
Will he know then how came to rest
Human'ty's highest king?

As one drinks from the Thunder falls
And eats of Westfall's gifts,
Shall he see how a nation dead
Came here, once more to live?

Awake to Azeroth, my land!
Fair Azeroth, my home,
We'll build a paradise here,
Here, made no more to roam.

We've passed through this land as a storm,
Its winds stretched shore to shore,
Our kingdom, set o'er this new world,
Our nation, now reborn.

Fair Azeroth, my love, my land!
Fair Azeroth, my home,
We'll build a paradise here,
Here, made no more to roam.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 11-12-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Tags
creative, fun and games