Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Is anyone else submitting anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 AM

World Builder

Runes

Yes. "Soon".
Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 PM

World Builder

Runes

http://www.wowpedia.org/Fanlin'Deskor

Native to the world of Fanlin'Deskor, the Zelel are squat, pale grey creatures with thick, rough, leathery skin and and four eyes.

The world's four moons lead to highly erratic patterns in its seas, leading some areas to be barren at times, only to flood for a few hours, then subside again for years... or a few months.

Seeking to evade the destructive tides, the Zelel built their homes high in the mountains of their homeland, only journeying to lower grounds to construct sculptures in reverence of their four gods that each dwelled upon a different moon. The sculptures twisted in myriad ways so that they would cast different shadows depending on which moon, or moons were present, and what phase they were in.

Due to the amber skies of their world, days were painfully bright to the Zelel, and thus, they were a nocturnal race. Initially traveling to the edge of their planets erratic oceans to filter small plants and animals from the seas with their bristle-filled mouths, as the Zelel moved to their mountain homes, they transplanted their favored foods to deep cave pool systems cared for by disparate groups of shaman.

Fire shaman would keep the pools warm, and provided light. Water shaman kept the water pure, and clean, while earth casters ensured the silt and mud remained fertile.

Air specialized shaman, while having no direct role in the keeping of the Zelel's food supply, were greatly important due to the need to protect their mountain homes from their homelands powerful storms.

As time passed and the Zelel grew more prosperous, they began to turn their magical practices towards astromancy, magic based on stars and the energies of the Great Dark Beyond, which had once been considered taboo, since it drew on the realm of their gods.

Tragically, those that felt the realm of the four gods should remain forever out of the reach of their people sabotaged the studies of the emerging astromancers, causing a tremendous rift in the void high in the sky above their world.

Horrified, and unaware that their research reagents had been tampered with, the astromancers abandoned their studies... but it was too late, the rift had drawn the attention of the Burning Legion, and they poured from the sky, scouring the world of life.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Eternal

Shit, just saw this. I gotta get to drawing.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Eternal

http://imgur.com/w2T32

The Bicarum are a race of undersea mollusks, with soft squishy bodies and surprisingly powerful psychic/magic abilities. They live in cracks and crevices near thermal vents, hiding away from the cold bright ocean around them. Their Draenei-esque appendages are sensory, detecting information about the movement of the water around them, as well as it's temperature and chemical composition.

The Bicarum are not an intelligent race, despite the formidable mystic abilities they possess. Indeed, the famous Goblin Marine Biologist Jackees Costoh described them as "Using magic like an ogre uses their club. Indiscriminately, and as a solution for everything." The third eye of the Bicarum is always open, and a strange purple-green energy is always leaking out of it. It is through this eye that the spells of a bicarum are cast.

The Language of the Bicarum, termed "Bicar", is composed primarily of bloops, head movements, and emanations of arcane energy. It is difficult to reproduce, and several gnomes have died trying.

They stand at about 4 feet tall, and 6 long, with a diameter of about a foot and a half around the middle.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

When does the judging begin?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
When does the judging begin?
If anyone wins but you it'll be a joke, you made three entries and they're all pretty good.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
If anyone wins but you it'll be a joke, you made three entries and they're all pretty good.
You flatter me. I think any of us could win, except maybe SlowPokeKing.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
You flatter me. I think any of us could win, except maybe SlowPokeKing.
Pfff, my Zelel suck. I wanted to do the Alchu bugs and Kommu but got busy with school stuff.

Originally I wanted them to be light and void based casters, only their light is more like refraction and illusions and not "THE LIGHT" but shamanism just sort of happened.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:11 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Quote:
Pfff, my Zelel suck. I wanted to do the Alchu bugs and Kommu but got busy with school stuff.

Originally I wanted them to be light and void based casters, only their light is more like refraction and illusions and not "THE LIGHT" but shamanism just sort of happened.
There might still be time to submit another entry, and remember that there will be three winners.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
There might still be time to submit another entry, and remember that there will be three winners.
Oh what? Cool

Alchu Bugs, these horrific vermin first appeared thousands of years ago during the break between the Trolls and Goblins. It's not clear whether they were created by magic, alchemy, or are natural creatures, but they have a particular taste for potions and alchemic and magical brews.

Alchu bugs have fat bodies with small legs and heads. Typically their bodies are mostly transparent giving them camouflage, due to the fact that their meals typically consist of leaves, and decaying animals, though they can gain bright and bizarre colors after ingesting alchemic potions and elixirs.

The Alchu have a queen that lives in their nest, and is fed regurgitated food, from the workers that forage for food near the hive. She's protected by a very small number of larger, more aggressive Alchu, that some rumors allege wield abilities derived from the various substances the queen has been brought by workers gorged on alchemic and magical potions.

In the conflict between the goblins and trolls, both sides set Alchu bugs upon each others casters and stores of reagents. Troll witchdoctors would wake to find their cauldrons and caches of mojo drained, and the fat, colorful insects building nests out of the sides of their huts, just as goblins would wake to find their newly developed and unstable concoctions drained. (Occasionally with giant, exploding, or radioactive insects in their wake)

Both sides were forced to dedicate themselves to exterminating and collecting the insects while their forces fought without the support of their alchemists and spellweavers, leading to goblins gaining the advantage in the early battles of the war.

For the most part the Alchu bugs seem resistant to the affects of the chemicals they imbibe, but do suffer side effects from particularly potent brews or combinations, what's worse, is that they are highly territorial and pack both a painful bite, and a highly irritating sting. In large numbers they can even be deadly, though it's rare to see them in such numbers since both goblins, trolls, and the other members of Azeroth, have taken to burning their nests out, and keeping bottles of bug-poison beside their materials on islands noted to have Alchu bugs.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

So... drawing the creature is not required? I thought that was the whole point...
Old 10-23-2012, 03:53 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
So... drawing the creature is not required? I thought that was the whole point...
I'm willing to take the ding in points because I can't draw worth shit and I don't feel like shelling out to commission art.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
I'm willing to take the ding in points because I can't draw worth shit and I don't feel like shelling out to commission art.
We don't care that you can't draw, we only care that you make it easier to visualize what you're going for.

Also, due to the small roster of individuals who decided to throw down the gauntlet (as well as people's wariness of drawing things), the submission deadline will be extended until the end of Thanksgiving weekend. As well, I'll be submitting some example entries this weekend to help people realize it's their ideas we want, not their ability to express them (aka Methods of expression can always be developed, but interesting/awesome ideas are unique).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Master Worldbuilder

I can't draw for shit, but here's something that I've painstakingly vomited into Paint.
Attached Images

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Eternal

More to come.

I'd also be willing to draw someone elses entry for them if they gave me the information required. No promises as to it's quality though.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 AM

Master Worldbuilder

New race incoming. Hold on to your butts.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
We don't care that you can't draw, we only care that you make it easier to visualize what you're going for.

Also, due to the small roster of individuals who decided to throw down the gauntlet (as well as people's wariness of drawing things), the submission deadline will be extended until the end of Thanksgiving weekend. As well, I'll be submitting some example entries this weekend to help people realize it's their ideas we want, not their ability to express them (aka Methods of expression can always be developed, but interesting/awesome ideas are unique).
Should the creature be of an absolutely new race, unrelated to others, or may one submit new sub-species, sub-races, alternative evolution variants etc.?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Falarson#1968

This was done in college while bored in Marketing class, so bear with the bad quality of the drawings.

This is kind of a redesing of an old race I had in mind for Pandaria. Didn't had the time to draw all the props and units I wanted, but they might come later.

Nomin

Long time ago, before the Great Sundering of the World and the imprisonment of the Masters, the servants of the Old Ones rampaged through this world. Driven to the mystic lands now known as Pandaria by the war against the Trolls, the servants of Y'shaarj (known as the Heartless Ones) settled themselves in a lush vale.

After many years of waging wars against the Trolls in the vale, the magic waters of the vale rivers mutated the Heartless Ones in a sapient race. They gained free will and emotions and started studying the arcane arts.

With the time, the war ceased and the newly formed race, known as Nomin, started to develop a strange civilization.

Even the common folk had certain power over shadow magic, using flesh-shaping to create buildings, every day objects and manipulate spirits, but at the same time, they had a respect for life and death.

The Nomin honor their ancestors, which never abandon this world, but rather acquire an ethereal form, commonly known as Baken. They also never use their shadow magic to harm living things, only to shape mindless flesh to their needs.

There are farmers, mages and scholars, but not actual warriors in the Nomin society, but this doesn't mean they can't fight. The one-eyed creatures are really good woodcrafters and engineers, and they often build gigantic wooden robots, which are infused with the spirits of the ancestors and fight against the enemies of the tribes.

Unfortunately, this race was very short lived. The race we know as Mogu wiped them all after the second coming of the Titans. There aren't many records of this civilization, other than ancient Mogu artifacts that speak about shadow magics and how the Mogu learned them in the first place.

RIP Ronnie James Dio (1942 - 2010)

Long live Rock n' Roll!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Should the creature be of an absolutely new race, unrelated to others, or may one submit new sub-species, sub-races, alternative evolution variants etc.?
Brand spanking new, but if you feel inclined to do subs of current races the overall Fanworks forum is most definitely willing to accommodate a thread for it.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Tome of Experience Concerning the Deitine Protectorate - an excerpt from Mark Nelson's 'Omnicon'

Passing from the blasted forests of Ungret’ll through the aforementioned ancient Eredar portal, I found myself confronted by a breathtaking expanse of towering plateaus covered in thick, crimson vegetation. In my time on that world, I counted three moons and one distant, white sun in the shockingly beautiful golden sky. Beneath the flat-topped spires of the region I explored, several of the charming hanging villages of the characteristically friendly Thilfamen could be found swaying gently in a warm breeze. These communities took their sustenance from the deep and temperamental waters below, and I was cheerfully accommodated by a delightful Thilfaman couple who introduced me to yet another of the diverse and invariably delicious culinary traditions of this fascinating people.

However, before I continue with my account of this world, the name of which turned out to be Celstar in the tongue of the locals I interviewed, and its native and alien populations, I really must interject to relate the most curious of encounters I experienced shortly after my arrival: a chance and fortunate meeting with the self-professed scout of a vast and ancient empire called the Deitine Protectorate. He was, like myself, a guest of the native Thilfaman community and seemed almost as interested in speaking with me as I was with him!

Ignorant of one another’s respective languages, we both agreed to communicate in Thilfaspeak, in which we are both fluent. He named himself Kulgoreth and stated his mission on Celstar to be one of reconnaissance for his people. Celstar, it seems, is one of the dwindling number of worlds which does not appear to be yet tainted by the influence of the Protectorate’s many and powerful enemies.

Kulgoreth stood at about twelve of what we call feet and had a strikingly similar physique to the humans of Azeroth, though perhaps slightly broader of shoulder and thicker of limb. His skin was a grey so dark as to be nearly black, though he told me that the coloration of his people ranged up from black to white and over from coral to jade. His body was covered in jagged ridges and bumps and in honesty he seemed to me less a creature of flesh than of living stone. Across his craggy limbs and torso was inscribed an intricate web of gleaming threads. If his flesh was stone, then these patterns were depicted in stuff akin to shining crystal. There were veins of all colors imaginable and they swelled and contracted in mystifying whorls across his enormous bulk. I refer to Kulgoreth as ‘he’ primarily for his lack of human-female secondary sexual characteristics, though my previously recorded misunderstanding with the Ja’grethi people of Thtemos has taught me not to inquire directly into the sexual and reproductive activities of unfamiliar species. Kulgoreth had shielded himself from any surreptitious examination by a short skirt of what appeared to be tightly woven threads of gold, though this was his only concession to what we humans might call modesty. The webs of colored lines, he told me, were deeply personal representations which marked each Deitine’s individual character.

The Deitine person, it seems, is born (or created or carved or exuded as the case may be) a rough-skinned creature of more or less constant hue. As the Deitine ages, it adorns itself according to the development of its unique identity with swirls of colored wires, each bearing distinct and in many cases incredibly subtle meaning. When it comes of age, the Deitine chooses a craft and embeds within its craggy forehead a large, uncarved chunk of colored mineral signifying its chosen vocation. When it becomes a master in that field, another shard of rock is implanted above the first. It is culturally expected of all Deitine to strive to accumulate the double-layered rainbow crown that signifies a mastery of all trades. Such masters then retire to the ruling council situated on their homeworld of Kul. It is also expected of the older council members to die (death itself being a curiously casual matter, usually decided upon and inflicted after some deliberation by the subject itself, unless met in battle) after no more than one million years of political service, lest they abuse their power and occupy the seats of younger, more worthy Deitine. Those rare persons who so dramatically advance the empire's culture as to instate a new discipline are honored with a neck-ring of crimson crystal and the first cut shard of that discipline's sacred stone, though they are traditionally denied a second in recognition that future generations will inevitably improve their craft beyond anything they could imagine.

This preoccupation with achievement and progress brings me to a fundamental ethical characteristic of the people of the Protectorate. They have set themselves against all absolute higher powers and declared themselves the sworn enemies of all gods. According to Kulgoreth, the Deitine philosophy is founded on an appreciation of individual worth and the mortal capacity for self-improvement. The heart of the Protectorate, according to my admittedly invested source, is a veritable utopia in which a perfect synthesis of cooperative and individualistic interests has allowed Deitine society to enjoy an uninterrupted stretch of social progress that has lasted for millions of millennia. Kulgoreth claims that this improbable success is in part the result of a rigidly defined code of behavior founded on the subordinated values of duty, honor and pride.

Duty, in the Deitine Protectorate, is the adherence to the jobs to which one has been set. All Deitine citizens are charged with the protection of individual liberty, service of the greater good and acceptance of the ruling council’s collaborative decrees. Honor is defined by an extensive system of conduct akin in spirit if not substance to the archaic human tradition of chivalry. Different vocations and circumstances connote separate strictures and many civilian Deitine follow simple generalizations of right and wrong while soldiers and scouts, such as Kulgoreth himself, are obliged to tailor their behavior to interaction with other, less enlightened species. Pride is simply an appreciation of one’s own worth and is the least heavily mandated of the three virtues, being left mostly to the individual to decide. As an example. Kulgoreth explained that for some Deitine speaking to a human such as me would be beneath their pride unless their duty or honor demanded it.

This curious system of morality has been refined over the many millions of years in which the Deitine have had to develop their society. My friend made the preposterous claim that Deitine history stretches back further even than the birth of the Titans themselves, though such a thing is surely beyond reason. For the majority of this history, it seems that the central drive of the Protectorate has been to identify and shield so-called “virgin” worlds, in which budding forms of life and civilization, untouched by the will of any gods, are allowed to flourish or fail without any intervention from above. Blockades are instated and battles fought against predatory and moralistic influences. When a civilization reaches a point at which it is deemed capable of fending for itself, the protection is withdrawn and official contact is established. Such, apparently, was the way with my old friends the Thilfamen.

Of the godly entities sworn as enemies to their empire, Kulgoreth declared that within the span of written Deitine history eight “great threats” have been neutralized but three remain to trouble the known universe. He enumerated them thusly. First, the Titans, of which he spoke with considerable violence and anger. He described their mission as an effort to “systematically dominate and disenfranchise all mortal life in the universe.” His words were of such heat that I found myself growing quite uncomfortable, but noting my distress he obligingly cooled down. When asked about the Burning Legion, by contrast, he dismissed Sargeras and his “pet legion” as a triviality barely worth noting, though he did say that the Dark Titan’s fall into madness was “indicative of the Pantheon’s folly, and representative of each component member’s inevitable fate.” The second threat he listed was something called the Chthonic Apotheosis. The creature (singular, for he said that all apparent individuals within the Apotheosis are little more than demented fragments and extensions of the same, singular dark will) representative of this threat is by his account a sprawling mass of shadow, spanning entire worlds and devoted to defiling all it touches. I cannot imagine what such a thing might be, but I fear for Azeroth should it ever find our little planet. The third and final force against which the Deitine Protectorate has set itself is a trio of beings called the Chaotic Triumvirate, which from what I gathered seemed to be something of a darker counterpart to the Pantheon though my contact said that this comparison was utterly invalid. He described it as “a state of despair, confusion and hatred overseen by three megalomaniacal beings that your people would probably call gods, each representing a sphere apparently antithetical in its entirety to the two others, and indeed all of which are constantly embattled against one another, but simultaneously devoted to the single purpose of bringing all life under their collective, cruel reign.” He called these three gods the Blinding One, the Blazing One and the Burning One. I cannot begin to guess what we might know these creatures as, but Kulgoreth’s next words lead me to believe that they are closer than I dare believe.

For it was at this point that Kulgoreth shared his reasons for speaking with me. I am the first human his empire has contacted, and, as he put it “In your form I can sense the work of the Pantheon, in your essence the stain of the Apotheosis and in your soul the shadow of the Blinding One.” My connection to the Titans is strange to consider, but when I recall the ruins that Khaz Modan’s teams of archeologists had recently uncovered when I left Azeroth, all those years ago, I wonder if it might not be only the dwarves who bear a connection to this ancient race. Perhaps humans, too, were shaped by their hands, or the elves or gnomes or even the savage trolls. I have seen stranger things since my departure. My connection to the other two, however, remains a mystery. Perhaps I have encountered some agencies of theirs in my travels, though where I cannot fathom. The Apotheosis particularly worries me, for though the agents of the Blinding One are allegedly many and various, and I might easily have neglected to identify them as such, Chthonic beings are said to announce themselves by the aura of fear and dismay that they exude. I must conclude, then, that either I have lost my memories of that encounter, a worrying enough consideration, or it is within my very nature that their influence resides. This opens, as you can see, very difficult questions. Perhaps stranger, if less worrying, was Kulgoreth’s insistence that some old bauble I seem to recall picking up in Lordaeron before the accident was none other than the evil sigil of the Blinding One himself. I can’t imagine that’s any more than a coincidence, though to be honest I can’t even remember what the little icon is supposed to represent anymore.

All told, this interview has given me much to ponder, and I am beginning to turn my mind toward finding a way home. If the Titans are the threat the Deitine think they are, I feel it is my duty to warn my people before it is too late. My meeting with Kulgoreth is certainly one of the more interesting I have had the pleasure to experience in these past forty years of exile, and the way he speaks of the universe, such vastness, so little from the surface of which I have scratched, brings home to me stronger than ever that sentence with which I began this journey: “There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our philosophy.”
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Come on, flex those creative neurons, people!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 PM

Eternal

Question:

If we draw inspiration from mythological sources not often seen in fantasy, does that count as plagiarism?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
Question:

If we draw inspiration from mythological sources not often seen in fantasy, does that count as plagiarism?
So long as inspiration doesn't involve stealing a goodly chunk of it (greater than 25%)...no. As an example, taking inspiration from a Wyvern would involve the idea of a poisonous flying mammal. Anything more specific than that (e.g. cobbling together specific parts from animals) is plagiarism (of nature).

If you wanted to make it scorpion like, take inspiration from how a scorpion tail works (hydraulic pressure) and how each part comprises a whole (metasoma to telson). Then pick it apart and rearrange it logically to create a new creature from the constituent ideas. Suddenly you've been inspired by scorpion tails, but created an entirely different creature or appendage using the premise from the standard "shove part A onto body B," idea.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:02 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Come on, flex those creative neurons, people!
Some of us happen to be in college writing papers and attending Rocky Horror plays put on by our friends thank you very much!

EDIT:

I will try to scribble something sometime though.

Tags
public works