Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Eternal

It's like poetic justice, except with puppets.

Puppetic Justice.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Yeah, I'm going to lean towards this in my presumptions. Blizzard probably weren't impressed by the code stunt and gave than an ultimatum of getting the code back - something they figured is probably impossible now it's in the wild - or getting smacked down by their legal team. If Blizzard go after Elysium, they martyr them. If Nost beg and scrape Elysium to shut down, they can put their hands up and go, "Hey it wasn't us!" and both communities look bad for screwing over their players whilst Blizzard remains clean(ish).
Elysium didn't have to give in to Nost, but probably come off as the bigger men by doing so. They don't have to give up the code, mangos is basically free software, and once the source code is handed out, the receiver can do whatever they want with it.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I'd bet they came under legal pressure as well.
Which is interesting, because you think the consequences of handing their work over to a third party would have been spelled out in the initial C&D.

What's MORE interesting is Elysium basically going along with Nost's request to stop using the data they provided. Elysium seems intent on going on with private servers, so exactly what the results will be of divorcing Nost's contribution from Elysium's functional platform kinda remains to be seen.

As an aside: I'll admit I had a passing interest in trying to check this out, but when I started hearing about the queue times to log in and how long it was taking fools to gain levels because of broken quests and other bugs, I decided it wasn't worth my limited playtime.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

My nostalgia makes me want to check it out at times but then I remind myself that my Druids only viable spec was resto.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
My nostalgia makes me want to check it out at times but then I remind myself that my Druids only viable spec was resto.
And as I recall even resto wasn't considered terribly good.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 AM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Dont want to necro but not making another topic:

I think they should introduce legacy servers of some kind with an announcement of an expansion.

I also dont want to fill the legion thread with spam. or unrelated stuff, but I think that a timewalking expansion would be the perfect opportunity for them to have legacy servers too.That requires that you sub and that you need the expansion for it.

Can i talk about private servers?

My favourite ones are Warmane and gamer district.

Last edited by Gurzog; 05-23-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Can I talk about private servers?

My favourite ones are Warmane and gamer district.
If I am not mistaken, you can, but we politely ask you not to. At least, not in excess.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

You can talk about private Blizzard servers in the abstract, but you can't lobby/advocate for them specifically, nor use SoL as a design space for them. This restriction does not apply to game companies that allow private servers.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Elune

Hey guys I know there is this one private TBC server that has been years in the making but I just can't for the life of me remember the name. Can anyone remember, it is pretty well known so if you have an idea chances are it's that one.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Banished

warmane is the most popular one right now.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:13 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

FYI, you also can't use SoL's public forum section as a guidepost to private servers. However, we can't control PM's.

So, for the current instance, C9 asking about tBC servers is an abstract question, thus totally fine. Gurzog, your answer isn't a "yes I know of some" or "yes they exist," but a specific name by which to search...a none abstract answer. Therefore, not allowed (because it can get SoL in trouble).

However, if you were to say nothing or just a simple abstract answer, and then follow it up via personal or private contact methods, we have no control over and it thus becomes a non-issue legally.

There is an abuse point for the above, where people use abstract questions to solicit specific private answers, but as long as this thread is inconsistently used we won't assume that such "information trafficking" is occurring.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Elune

Yeah probably should have told people to PM me the answer.

Though I ended up remembering the server and it is not that one Gurz, but the one I thought of has apparently gone kaput and never even officially released.

I really wish there was a great TBC server with a simulated patch progression (or even real patch progression, a guy can dream right?). There seem to be good vanilla servers and good WotLK servers but no good TBC servers, and it is my favorite expansion. : /
Old 05-28-2017, 04:05 PM

Elune

I have a nice idea, we can make a private group that is invisible to all but members and talk about private servers there. SOL is not showing anything and we can talk amongs ourselves all we like, win-win.

But I am not sure if there is enough interest for such a group, PM me if you are interested in joining me in such an endeavor.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
I have a nice idea, we can make a private group that is invisible to all but members and talk about private servers there. SOL is not showing anything and we can talk amongs ourselves all we like, win-win.

But I am not sure if there is enough interest for such a group, PM me if you are interested in joining me in such an endeavor.
Hint: When planning a crime, don't tell the cops where and what to look for.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Elune

The obvious answer is we develop our own SoL private server named Abstract.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 AM

Banished

Classic announcement yay.