Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Default How do you like the trailer?

I think it sucks because the plot and music both doesn't work well at all. It's like a pure game advertising cinematic rather than at least trying to tell a reasonable plot.

Wrath of the Lich King trailer is always the best one to me.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Are we talking about the actual announcement trailer or the pre-rendered cinematic at Undercity?

I thought both of them were alright. They set out what they were made to do. The trailer got me looking forward to the expansion, the cinematic showed the battle that will kick off the expansion.

My favorite trailers were MoP's and, honestly, WoD's. The music and way scenes were cut for both give me chills to this day. For cinematics I think my favorite would be MoP's or Legion's.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:45 AM

Banished

Cinematic was really great for me, maybe even the best
  1. Vanilla/BfA
  2. WotLK/Cata
  3. Legion/MoP
  4. TBC/WoD
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Priestess of the Moon

I hope we see more vignettes like the Lords of War series, one of the few things WoD got right.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 11-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Are we talking about the actual announcement trailer or the pre-rendered cinematic at Undercity?

I thought both of them were alright. They set out what they were made to do. The trailer got me looking forward to the expansion, the cinematic showed the battle that will kick off the expansion.

My favorite trailers were MoP's and, honestly, WoD's. The music and way scenes were cut for both give me chills to this day. For cinematics I think my favorite would be MoP's or Legion's.
WotLK has the best music and narrator, plus the tempo and action were both great.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:07 AM

Arch-Druid

The feature trailer I felt was lackluster. I wish it covered somewhat more the allied races. They usually leave the best features for last, so I guess the races are the big thing in this expansion, but you watch the crowd reaction and they cheer more Zandalar and Jaina's new model than the races. Maybe spend a few seconds for each race, instead of showing 3 at a time for an instant?

The cinematic is very good. Awesome visuals, shows how the expansion starts, both "For our faction" moments were very good. Only thing that bothers me is that the action makes no damn sense, so I need to turn off my brain in order to not nickpick how Saurfang teleports around, soldiers leave the path open so enemies can reach their king, the troll shaman resurrects and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
I hope we see more vignettes like the Lords of War series, one of the few things WoD got right.
I think those images from Teldrassil before and during the fire will come from a vignette like that. It'll probably even be featured in-game.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I hate both "For the Horde/Alliance" moment.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:20 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I hate both "For the Horde/Alliance" moment.
I thought it was a nice way to show how the factions differ.

Horde is all about agression, combat prowess. Alliance is hope, endurance.

Anduin making the mass heal/shield was awesome. Wouldn't be so cool if Varian were still leading.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Whether I like or dislike an expansion trailer mostly depends on the features since most of them aren't really story driven. Although I'm not particularly interested in islands or warfronts yet, allied races, good Jaina and the two continents ensured that I liked this trailer.

(And, yes, WoD's trailer was exceptionally good.)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
I thought it was a nice way to show how the factions differ.

Horde is all about agression, combat prowess. Alliance is hope, endurance.

Anduin making the mass heal/shield was awesome. Wouldn't be so cool if Varian were still leading.
"Faction difference" could be shown with much better lines and ways in the story, rather than a simple awkward line.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Arch-Druid

No Gnomes 0/10.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Eternal

It was well done, quality wise, but I have my reservations. The graphics for some reason made me think of plenty of other MMO's more than Warcraft, which always felt like it had it's own 'thing'. And I'm not sure I like the talking bits. I don't mind them usually but I can never get to like Sylvanas' voice because of how amazingly irritating it sounds, and how the old actress from Warcraft 3 was much, much, much superior and more pleasant to listen to.
Then there's the actual action involving her the cinematic. For one thing, I can't help but feel like they're trying to make Sylvanas seem more heroic and likable than she should be or even is in the story, what with her destroying a tower by herself, somehow, actually inspiring the greater Horde forces, not just forsaken, in battle, and even seeming like she respects Anduin(that looks she gave him before they charged at each other at the end, though I might be looking to much into it). It's somewhat similar to how she did in the Legion cinematic and starting game experience, where she seemed a lot more chummy with Varian and all around more in charge of the Horde expedition than she should have been(though maybe that's just me).
On the other hand I enjoyed the Anduin parts quite a lot. I've never liked him much, but he actually seems to be coming into his own. Seems a tad more skilled with the sword than he should be, but I loved how he rallied the others and how affected he was by the Light. I think it's pretty easy to forget that using the Light can be a very emotional, humbling experience and Anduin is the only real example of it that we've seen in the cinematics so far(I think). All in all pretty inspiring despite my reservations about him.
Oh and of course it's always cool to see the factions well represented in cinematics on both sides.
All around it managed to arouse some good ol' Blizzard feeling in me, but it's vert far from being their best cinematic imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Old 11-11-2017, 05:30 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

The Cinematic was brilliant! The announcement trailer lacked and the opening too it hit very close to home. But it was alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avon View Post
No Gnomes 0/10.
13 years ...And no Gnomes.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:57 PM

Loremaster

Visually very well done, as one would expect. Unnecessary narrator again. Dialogue generally a bit too "trailery" and "soundbytish."

Honestly the whole thing was soured for me by them proudly declaring beforehand their intent to emphasize the part of WoW that brings out the worst things about it and makes the community nasty and unpleasant to deal with. I enjoyed watching every previous cinematic repeatedly, but thanks to the whole vibe behind this one I got what little I wanted and a whole lot I didn't want out of it the first time, so I haven't even bothered watching it again.

Tags
battle for azeroth, world of warcraft