Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 12-20-2016, 04:18 PM

Elune

If they are so much smarter and better than everyone else they should be able to survive just fine without the tax payers supporting them right? There is a reason why the scientific method has an experiment stage instead of going straight from the hypothesis to circle jerking against everyone that disagrees with you. There has to be a more compelling justification than the fact that their biggest fans will berate you and deflect any sort of criticism with snide sarcasm if you call them out. If they are dependent on tax money then they are dependent on public support but they don't call them ivory towers for nothing.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 AM

Banished

The government shouldn't be dumping cash on what's not productive enough. That includes education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Tell me more about how you hate people who are smarter than you.
I guess that addresses the hate Trump gets considering his known academic record and success in business. And Bush Jr. too.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 AM

Elune

Kakwakas trying to bring a foil with his alt account aside...

That does raise an interesting point. As automation and technology increases, the need and frankly, incentive, to produce an intelligent constituency begins to vanish.

It's very possible that we may back slide into an age of ignorance, and Government being in control of education might just promise it.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
That does raise an interesting point. As automation and technology increases, the need and frankly, incentive, to produce an intelligent constituency begins to vanish.

It's very possible that we may back slide into an age of ignorance, and Government being in control of education might just promise it.
Automation requires a lot more technical skills and the jobs that go away due to automation didn't require that much training in the first place.

Well if Trump has his way the Department of Education will be abolished and school choice will become more prominent so I bet our education will be less about teaching obedience.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
Automation requires a lot more technical skills and the jobs that go away due to automation didn't require that much training in the first place.

Well if Trump has his way the Department of Education will be abolished and school choice will become more prominent so I bet our education will be less about teaching obedience.
Right, that's true right now.

It won't always be true.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Right, that's true right now.

It won't always be true.
I don't think you will be able to automate everything and I say that as someone who has been on the floor of manufacturing factories and has family that work in manufacturing. You will always need technicians and engineers.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Eternal

Quote:

See I'm not so sure about that.
The way it is in the US and Canada there isn't too much of an incentive for the state to control education too much.
They give ya loans and then you pay out the ass for years in order to pay it off. It doesn't matter if the degree is a successful one or not you're still paying for the interest like a good little debtor.

Now IIRC the way you have it in Germany is that the government pays for it BUT since the government pays for it they don't want you to get a useless degree and waste cash. Due to this, the German government encourages people to go for STEM and the humanities are heavily restricted.

The American/Canadian system comes across as a scam which wants you to be a good little debt slave.
The German system seems to be one which wants you to actually do something useful.

Pretty sure the Germans also have it full funded by the state if your a citizen too.

Goodbye gender studies degrees if the government thinks they are worthless among others.

As it stands right now it feels like a Banker's scheme though.

Also a dumb citizenry is an issue that will arrive but not for the reason people think.

It's dysgenics silly.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:33 AM

Elune

Quote:
I don't think you will be able to automate everything and I say that as someone who has been on the floor of manufacturing factories and has family that work in manufacturing. You will always need technicians and engineers.
Someone's never seen screamers!

But yeah, I get you.

The problem is it doesn't matter if it's just a lot less employees to that scenario.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Elune

I don't think money is the biggest barrier for people to get STEM degrees. It is the curriculum. Even private loaners would give you a loan for a STEM degree because you could easily pay it back. I like the idea that college cuts down on costs so you can pay it out of pocket or an employer would be willing to pay for it.

Government funding belongs in K-12 because everyone goes there and 90% of people graduate with a high school diploma. I don't think it would even be worthwhile for 90% of people to go to college because that is 4-6 years of someone's life and it would be absurdly expensive. The <30% of the population that goes to college and some of the degrees being given out doesn't make it worthy of public investment. Libraries and museums are much more accessible and you don't need a degree to be a lover of art or history. I think the library and museum concept could easily make a break through on the internet as well. If the government pays that means they are in control of the curriculum and as long as they can get people to vote for them unquestionable it really doesn't matter how poor or dependent people are.

Quote:
Someone's never seen screamers!

But yeah, I get you.

The problem is it doesn't matter if it's just a lot less employees to that scenario.
People will always find other jobs. We transitioned from a agricultural economy to an industrial one just fine. If we only cared about jobs and not value we could just use spoons instead of shovels to dig and we could even pay people to dig holes and fill them back up.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
I don't think money is the biggest barrier for people to get STEM degrees. It is the curriculum. Even private loaners would give you a loan for a STEM degree because you could easily pay it back. I like the idea that college cuts down on costs so you can pay it out of pocket or an employer would be willing to pay for it.

Government funding belongs in K-12 because everyone goes there and 90% of people graduate with a high school diploma. I don't think it would even be worthwhile for 90% of people to go to college because that is 4-6 years of someone's life and it would be absurdly expensive. The <30% of the population that goes to college and some of the degrees being given out doesn't make it worthy of public investment. Libraries and museums are much more accessible and you don't need a degree to be a lover of art or history. I think the library and museum concept could easily make a break through on the internet as well. If the government pays that means they are in control of the curriculum and as long as they can get people to vote for them unquestionable it really doesn't matter how poor or dependent people are.

People will always find other jobs. We transitioned from a agricultural economy to an industrial one just fine. If we only cared about jobs and not value we could just use spoons instead of shovels to dig and we could even pay people to dig holes and fill them back up.
We transitioned into other jobs that became valuable.

That's not the same as being replaced with an advanced AI that can do it better
Old 12-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Are you that insecure that everything that displeases you must involve some kind on conspiracy ?
Old 12-21-2016, 12:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
We transitioned into other jobs that became valuable.

That's not the same as being replaced with an advanced AI that can do it better
But we replaced hunter/gathering with agriculture and agriculture with animals with more machines. That was a form of automation.

We don't use advanced AI to automate anything right now. Self driven cars aren't even AI. Cashiers are replaced with touch screens. Robots usually have simple functions. Those robots still need electrical engineers to design them and repair them if they don't work. You don't buy equipment used for manufacturing at Walmart. You make them from scratch of buy them from someone else. It isn't something that is mass produced.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Are you that insecure that everything that displeases you must involve some kind on conspiracy ?
So you don't think that was Galdus?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
So you don't think that was Galdus?
We don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
We don't.
Who do you think it is?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:37 PM

Elune

Quote:
Who do you think it is?
Obama or possible Rosie O'donnell.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Who do you think it is?
Nestlee's Kiwick is Kiwick, and these accounts who have been banned are Galdus.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Nestlee's Kiwick is Kiwick, and these accounts who have been banned are Galdus.
so, you do think Alunder was Galdus?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Elune

Quote:
so, you do think Alunder was Galdus?
Duh
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-21-2016, 04:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Duh
Then why did you say you didn't?!!!!
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
Then why did you say you didn't?!!!!
I thought you were calling Kawalkie talkie Galdus.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Elune

Quote:
I thought you were calling Kawalkie talkie Galdus.
I was, but only in the in joke that he's a left wing version of Galdus from when he first came back.

It's supposed to be a joke.

Geezelaweeze.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Elune

Lockheed Martin CEO promises Trump she'll cut F-35 costs

Better to find cost savings here than screwing over a bunch of 20 year olds by making them work more hours, spend more time deployed, and shortchanging them especially when they are being sent into harms way!
Old 12-25-2016, 03:54 AM

Arch-Druid

I'm sure they pinky promised and everything
Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
I'm sure they pinky promised and everything
Pinky promises are unbreakable.

Tags
#yesallhumans, 2016, bring back monarchy, darkest timeline, disband all factions, giant asteroid 2016, hate trumps love, it's 2016 come on!, politics, sylvanas for president