Live in UK and want it to leave 6 12.77%
Live in UK and want it to stay 3 6.38%
Don't live in UK and want it to leave 22 46.81%
Don't live in UK and want it to stay 16 34.04%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Not from the UK, initially didn't care. But the attitude of the pro-EU, which sounds a lot like a new form of imperialism, especially from guys like Obama and Trudeau who threatens the UK, made me root for the Leavers. Quebec is familiar with fear and threats campaigns, that's all we've ever gotten.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:50 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
That poster is pretty horrid though. I'm not entirely sure what argument they're trying to make either.
The campaigns have been pretty dreadful on both sides- Having the UK Government release a pro EU pamphlet has just strengthened the feelings of pro leavers, while having two main campaign groups has really hurt the Leave side themselves- If the economic argument wasn't mostly against leaving the EU, having one of their campaigns say "Of course it's going to hurt the economy, who cares!" is probably a near fatal kick in the nuts.

Honestly, on strength of feeling alone we'd probably leave, but I think with most economic arguments saying that staying in the EU is safer and more likely to be prosperous (Even if it does potentially involve other countries spiting us by cutting trade deals. And I totally understand people who look at that and think "Well, if they're going to treat us like that, why should we do what they want us to do?"), along with the whole "status quo" argument, we're going to stay in.

You know what also doesn't help the pro leave campaign? The Tory Government. Yeah, I'm overall pro-remain in a more of a "We need to fix it" way, but when I see the more right wing Tories say stuff like "Outside of the EU, we'll be better able to fund and protect the NHS", I just have to laugh. YOUR HEALTH SECRETARY IS BELITTLING DOCTORS AND WANTS TO DISMANTLE THE NHS. HOW THE FUCK CAN I TRUST LEAVING THE EU TO PROTECT PUBLIC SERVICES WHEN YOU HAVE SENIOR OFFICIALS OUTRIGHT HOSTILE TO THEM.

Even if Brexit were economically favourable, I wouldn't trust the conservatives to actually spend the money on important things like science (which gets a lot of EU money) and public services (This's actually what's currently winning over my mother, someone who would probably vote leave, to staying in the EU). That, and I worry that the new "British Bill of Rights" will be a lot of "Well, we think you're guilty, and as such, we'll make absolutely sure to get a conviction. Even if there's a chance that it could genuinely be someone else who did it, and we're now going to miss out on catching them because we were so sure it was someone else". And "You're a criminal. Why do you deserve a second chance?"

(P.S. Love how the Pro EU side is "OMG PROJECT FEAR", when the leavers are saying "EU FORCES US TO GIVE HOMES AND SERVICES TO MUSLIM KIDDY RAPISTS" and "YOU WILL BE FORCED TO WORSHIP YOUR EU OVERLORDS". Yeah, a lot of you are going full force project fear too, you know)

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 05-28-2016 at 10:58 AM..
Old 05-28-2016, 01:02 PM

Warden

I want them to leave for their own good. No matter how good the EU can be for the economy, it kills me to see Spain be just a puppet state of Germany and their EU overlords.
We cannot change our laws by popular demands (all the major political parties minus one are together to maintain the status-quo), but one word from the EU or from a speech of Merkel and magic! All the parties from the Parliament and Senate get together and the Constitution is changed the next week.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Malice#2774

Perhaps I'm a bit too clinical about this, but I'd like to see them leave, if for no other reason than to see what happens to the world. It'd be interesting to see what procedures will be established for leaving the EU; what kind of economic sanctions will the U.K suffer due to it (if any), will they enter another economic depression - and if so, how long will it take for them to rebuild?

Also, how would this effect the outcome of the second referendum for Scottish independance? The U.K could arguably already be considered several sovereign nations ruled by a foreign power in England; would the Irelands, Wales and Scotland share the English sentiment of leaving the EU?

The world is interesting when it burns. Truth can be seen in the aftermath.
Elves are marvellous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:21 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

It wouldn't be in the EU's interest to place sanctions against the UK if it leaves; all it will do is make it seem a wee bit tyrannical and fuel the anti-eu agenda in other member states.

Arguably, not only is it stupid but suicidal.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”
Old 05-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Elune

The EU demands sacrifice. Give it power!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:44 PM

Drunk Assassin

Leaning towards Leave after giving it some more thought, if only to try and force some change on the EU. And if it -doesn't- change even in the event of it's 2nd or 3rd biggest contributor leaving, then it's a good thing the UK left, even if it's not good for those who remain.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:46 AM

Elune

Honestly I wish the Brits would leave, they are always harping on the EU and are apparently a lot or mostly unhappy with it. Otoh, the Brits are causing trouble for the EU, blocking or slowing down what needs (or at least wants) to be done. There are quite a few special rules to keep the Brits happy, them leaving and reorganizing to have more general rules could help the union a lot.
Hopefully whatever happens this subject is put to rest for at least 10 years. I am neither British nor in the EU and I am sick and tired of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Does anyone feel that the situation should be viewed through the lens of sovereignty? We do, after all, have to abide by laws made by foreign nations.
How is British sovereignty in danger? The laws of the EU affect all equally (in fact aren't there a few unequal laws that benefit Britain in regards to the rest of the EU?) and have been agreed upon by British representatives.
Basically, it is not like you guys are subservient to some domineering foreign power which is clearly the master in a master-slave relationship.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Honestly I wish the Brits would leave, they are always harping on the EU and are apparently a lot or mostly unhappy with it. Otoh, the Brits are causing trouble for the EU, blocking or slowing down what needs (or at least wants) to be done. There are quite a few special rules to keep the Brits happy, them leaving and reorganizing to have more general rules could help the union a lot.
Hopefully whatever happens this subject is put to rest for at least 10 years. I am neither British nor in the EU and I am sick and tired of it.

How is British sovereignty in danger? The laws of the EU affect all equally (in fact aren't there a few unequal laws that benefit Britain in regards to the rest of the EU?) and have been agreed upon by British representatives.
Basically, it is not like you guys are subservient to some domineering foreign power which is clearly the master in a master-slave relationship.
Vojvodina referendum when?

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Vojvodina referendum when?
Pffft, screw that. I'm planning to have my home town secede and form a Free State, with blackjack and hookers.

We will be the best microstate! Or at least most fun to read about in the newspapers.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Elune

Not only should you Brits leave the EU but you should go live on an island away from the rest of Europe too.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
Not only should you Brits leave the EU but you should go live on an island away from the rest of Europe too.
Has PJ leaked US secret plans to move all of the population of Britain to the Falklands? Is Obama's faction of the reptilians in a secret war against the faction lead by Pope Francis? Has the future already happened somewhere else?

Find out in the next issue of The Third Eye magazine, only 8.99$ on a newsstand near you.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:34 AM

Elune

Default Did the government recruit school children to beat you up in school?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Is Obama's faction of the reptilians in a secret war against the faction lead by Pope Francis? Has the future already happened somewhere else?
You are the few, and we are the many. And, when the many stop fearing the few...
Old 05-31-2016, 05:36 AM

Guru of Gilneas

A Brexit would certainly be amusing to watch if only to see how quickly they would be back begging for a "Brenter" once the ramifications and consequences of the Brexit set in.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
You are the few, and we are the many. And, when the many stop fearing the few...
I knew one of you nerds would get it.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
High Sparrow = Sanders confirmed.

Watch my Warcraft 3 stuff in either YouTube, BitChute, DailyMotion, or DTube.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Now that you made the jibe would you mind elaborating?
Here I go. It'll be messy, I warn you :

-The U.K. rackets the rest of Europe with the famous "I want my money back" from Tatcher; if you lot want more money from Europe in the agricultural policy, then build some more fucking farms and stop acting like fucking spoiled brats !

-The U.K. was the main supporter of adding Central and Eastern European Countries to the EU, mainly because it would dilute its inner workings and prevent it from functioning correctly, limiting it to a common market area and nothing else, and then it has the gall to scream like raped polecat when peoples from those countries actually move to the U.K. and that the EU isn't able to solve crises quickly enough.

-The U.K. think it must be a part of everything in the Union, even when it has clearly no right to be there, i.e. the Eurozone. If you want to get to discuss about it, you join the euro, otherwise you suck it up and deal with it.

And more generally the ever petulant behaviour of the U.K. representatives and government who actually believe that by the sheer virtue of the bad weather they endure on their islands they have some a special right to be treated differently than any other nation in the bloc.

Any of those would be insufferable by itself already. All of those combined makes the U.K. the worst bedfellow ever. It leaving the E.U. is the best thing which could happen for us continentals.

Last edited by Korath; 05-31-2016 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

The arrogance of the anti-UK crowd here only cements the idea that the UK should leave in my eyes.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:51 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
A Brexit would certainly be amusing to watch if only to see how quickly they would be back begging for a "Brenter" once the ramifications and consequences of the Brexit set in.
It's stuff like this why the leave campaign is gaining ground, all the threats and snide jabs are just going to push the populace away from the idea.

"U better not leave coz there will be consequences haha and you will be back and ill laugh!!!" Jesus christ you all sound like a clingy partner.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”

Last edited by Insipid_Lobster; 05-31-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Old 05-31-2016, 11:14 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
The arrogance of the anti-UK crowd here only cements the idea that the UK should leave in my eyes.
I swear this is the feminism thing all over again.

I mean Christ, I can come up with a better argument for the brexit, and I don't even know the inner workings of the EU, or even the issues being discussed for/against it.

"The UK would benefit greatly from instituting [reform to the banking system in the UK] but cannot because of some agreement with the EU." is an argument. You can open up with a debate on why said reform is actually necessary, why it is or is not possible as a member of the EU, whether there are any avenues that could allow them to institute these changes, whether or not there are alternatives which would work which don't conflict with the EU, etc.

Anything's better than this "criticism of feminism is proof we need feminism" crap.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:45 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post
It's stuff like this why the leave campaign is gaining ground, all the threats and snide jabs are just going to push the populace away from the idea.

"U better not leave coz there will be consequences haha and you will be back and ill laugh!!!" Jesus christ you all sound like a clingy partner.
It's not a threat to say that you will be electrocuted if you stick a fork in an electrical wall outlet. Actions have consequences. And there will naturally be consequences, both foreseen and unforeseen, from a "Brexit," and I'm not entirely sure whether the anti-EU crowd has thought it through in the long-term. And I do think the EU project, despite all its many faults, is a more prosperous long-term investment than the Brexit.

I do know a number of pro-EU Scots who are considering voting for a Brexit, if only so there can be a subsequent Scotleave followed by an independent Scotland joining the EU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

I mean Christ, I can come up with a better argument for the brexit, and I don't even know the inner workings of the EU, or even the issues being discussed for/against it.

"The UK would benefit greatly from instituting [reform to the banking system in the UK] but cannot because of some agreement with the EU." is an argument. You can open up with a debate on why said reform is actually necessary, why it is or is not possible as a member of the EU, whether there are any avenues that could allow them to institute these changes, whether or not there are alternatives which would work which don't conflict with the EU, etc.

Anything's better than this "criticism of feminism is proof we need feminism" crap.
From what I recall, reading a report written last year by the British banks about the potential Brexit, the British banks were not only mostly in favor of the EU but in also strengthening ties to the Eurozone.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM

Poor Soldier
BattleTag: Mathias#1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insipid_Lobster View Post

It's pretty much the same effect the "enlightened" individuals are having over in the U.S. election thread. Whatever though, fuck the haters.

If you stay, we got your back son. If you leave, we got your back even more. I'd obviously prefer you leave and stay 100% the same great nation that birthed us and not get swallowed into that catastrophe anymore than you all ready are.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:58 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
It's not a threat to say that you will be electrocuted if you stick a fork in an electrical wall outlet. Actions have consequences. And there will naturally be consequences, both foreseen and unforeseen, from a "Brexit," and I'm not entirely sure whether the anti-EU crowd has thought it through in the long-term. And I do think the EU project, despite all its many faults, is a more prosperous long-term investment than the Brexit.

I do know a number of pro-EU Scots who are considering voting for a Brexit, if only so there can be a subsequent Scotleave followed by an independent Scotland joining the EU.

From what I recall, reading a report written last year by the British banks about the potential Brexit, the British banks were not only mostly in favor of the EU but in also strengthening ties to the Eurozone.
See? The hypothetical argument I pulled out of my ass without even an ounce of research is already provoking more fruitful debate than "Yeah, but people who disagree with me are assholes about it."
Old 05-31-2016, 12:04 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnahar View Post
It's pretty much the same effect the "enlightened" individuals are having over in the U.S. election thread. Whatever though, fuck the haters.
Which "enlightened" individuals? The smug conservatives or the smug liberals? Is there anyone in that thread who does not claim to have some sort of "true gnosis" about how things really are?

Quote:
If you stay, we got your back son. If you leave, we got your back even more. I'd obviously prefer you leave and stay 100% the same great nation that birthed us and not get swallowed into that catastrophe anymore than you all ready are.
Yes, the UK should follow the U.S.'s successful Iraq exit strategy when leaving the EU.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:10 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post

"Cements", Kellick, "cements". That means there's more to my opinion than just that.
C'est un facteur aggravant, rien de plus.

Tags
economic vandalism, english nationalism, euro melodrama, politics, realspace