Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2016, 07:34 PM

Elune

Default One Thousand Years of Liberal Darkness

I thought since the 2016 US presidential election thread will soon fade into irrelevance we needed another thread. This thread can be about how the forces of evil were thwarted and how we are going to move forward now. The Republican party controls all branches of government so we will finally see some legislation pass. The Democrats have time to lick their wounds and figure out how they will rebuild the party from the ground up.

So basically this thread can be about the change a Trump administration is going to bring compared to the Obama years and how the Democrats can modify their message and policies in order to expand the tent for their party.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:35 PM

Elune

Old 11-21-2016, 07:51 PM

Echo of the Past

PJ, how do you predict the Republicans will change? Rather... do you think the Republican Party won this election, or were they defeated by Trump in the primaries?

Which party will take the banner of free trade, if any?
Old 11-21-2016, 07:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
PJ, how do you predict the Republicans will change? Rather... do you think the Republican Party won this election, or were they defeated by Trump in the primaries?

Which party will take the banner of free trade, if any?
I don't think the Republicans will change that much. I think the house and senate won pretty independently of Donald Trump. Mike Pence was still on the ticket.

Free trade will probably change though. I like international trade but I guess I don't know enough about how those deals work. I am not a finance or business person. For all I know China is manipulating their currency or a lot of these deals do put the US at a disadvantage. It really depends what it is the details. Having politicians write trade deals in such a way to benefit other countries at the expense of the US doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibilities. The 15% corporate tax rate regardless would be a change that would help make the US a lot more competitive. If that really happens I wouldn't be surprised if foreign companies decide to make the US their home just to take advantage of that tax rate.

I am in a bigger big wait and see mood.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:28 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Old 11-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Son of a... oh Slow, you troll me hard when you throw around Star Wars comparisons.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Are we going to build a super battlestation+mega cannon?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:25 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Bannon's cronies think there should be a limit on people like you going for majors like EE, PJ.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...nce-and-maths/
Member #14
Old 11-21-2016, 09:34 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Bannon's cronies think there should be a limit on people like you going for majors like EE, PJ.
So he is going to fill the role of Tarkin?
Old 11-21-2016, 09:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Why
Old 11-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_NrYfOMBEo

I thought since the 2016 US presidential election thread will soon fade into irrelevance we needed another thread. This thread can be about how the forces of evil were thwarted and how we are going to move forward now. The Republican party controls all branches of government so we will finally see some legislation pass. The Democrats have time to lick their wounds and figure out how they will rebuild the party from the ground up.

So basically this thread can be about the change a Trump administration is going to bring compared to the Obama years and how the Democrats can modify their message and policies in order to expand the tent for their party.
The republicans were the ones keeping legislation from being passed. they fought tooth and nail to obstruct things for years. And now they're being rewarded. If anything Conservatives wreck everything they touch.

They were rewarded for being children
Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Yoggy View Post
The republicans were the ones keeping legislation from being passed. they fought tooth and nail to obstruct things for years. And now they're being rewarded. If anything Conservatives wreck everything they touch.

They were rewarded for being children
Remember when they fought tooth & nail to pass a bill that would allow 9/11-affected Americans to sue Saudi Arabia and even overrode a Presidential veto? And then they complained that Obama didn't do enough to stop them? I remember.
Member #14
Old 11-21-2016, 09:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Remember when they fought tooth & nail to pass a bill that would allow 9/11-affected Americans to sue Saudi Arabia and even overrode a Presidential veto? And then they complained that Obama didn't do enough to stop them? I remember.
Refresh my bumpkin memory.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
they also blocked a bill to help 9/11 responders until Jon Stewart shamed them
Old 11-21-2016, 09:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politi...onal-concerns/

My favorite part was a Texas senator's reaction to the whole process.

"Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn.

It appears that the Obama administration is pulling out all the stops to keep this bill from moving forward before the president’s visit to Riyadh. I wish the President and his aides would spend as much time and energy working with us in a bipartisan manner as they have working against us trying to prevent victims of terrorism from receiving the justice they deserve." - Sen. Cornyn, R-TX as the bill was moving through Congress

"That was a good example, it seems to me, of a failure to communicate early about the potential consequences of a piece of legislation. By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.

I think it was just a ball dropped. I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.

What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process. They were basically missing in action during this whole process." - Sen. Cornyn, R-TX after he helped override the veto
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 11-21-2016 at 10:00 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 10:05 PM

Elune

Quote:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politi...onal-concerns/

My favorite part was a Texas senator's reaction to the whole process.

"Unfortunately, the administration has worked to undercut progress of this legislation at every turn.

It appears that the Obama administration is pulling out all the stops to keep this bill from moving forward before the president’s visit to Riyadh. I wish the President and his aides would spend as much time and energy working with us in a bipartisan manner as they have working against us trying to prevent victims of terrorism from receiving the justice they deserve." - Sen. Cornyn, R-TX as the bill was moving through Congress

"That was a good example, it seems to me, of a failure to communicate early about the potential consequences of a piece of legislation. By the time everybody seemed to focus on some potential consequences of it, members had already basically taken a position.

I think it was just a ball dropped. I wish the president — I hate to blame everything on him, and I don’t — but it would have been helpful had he, uh, we had a discussion about this much earlier than last week.

What’s so remarkable to me is the detachment of this White House from anything to do with the legislative process. They were basically missing in action during this whole process." - Sen. Cornyn, R-TX after he helped override the veto
Your article said Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer did the same thing. They voted for the bill and to override Obama's veto and blamed him. Perhaps they can modify the bill so foreign nations aren't compelled to sue us.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 PM

World Builder

This forum is developing a weird number of echo chamber threads

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
This forum is developing a weird number of echo chamber threads
You are allowed to respond and engage. BaronGrackle does have a point that all the Democrats that voted for Trump are turned off by the modern Democratic party but still don't find a home with traditional Republicans.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:04 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
You are allowed to respond and engage. BaronGrackle does have a point that all the Democrats that voted for Trump are turned off by the modern Democratic party but still don't find a home with traditional Republicans.
Is that what I said?

EDIT: Switch "Democrats" to "Republicans",
"Trump" to "Clinton",
"Democratic" to "Republican",
"Republicans" to "Democrats",

And that's closer to my post.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 11-21-2016 at 11:08 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:10 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Yeah but imean its just a little weird, between this the social justice thread, Bolvar policed his bipartisan thread for a bit but thats falling apart, etc...

On topic tho, I challenge the premise of the thread, Democrats aren't evil, Obama did a lot of good and bad things like every President, I'd argue Trump winning was a bad guy winning because he is an evil con man.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-21-2016, 11:12 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Is that what I said?

EDIT: Switch "Democrats" to "Republicans",
"Trump" to "Clinton",
"Democratic" to "Republican",
"Republicans" to "Democrats",

And that's closer to my post.
I am talking about all the people that are registered Democrats in the rust belt that voted for Trump and whether or not they are going to change the party away from things like free trade or social conservatism.

I guess you are implying that with Trump at the head that people like you and I no longer have a home? I suppose I am expecting no down-ballot or lingering impact. I don't know if the Republicans can keep those voters especially if Trump doesn't delivery.

Quote:
Yeah but imean its just a little weird, between this the social justice thread, Bolvar policed his bipartisan thread for a bit but thats falling apart, etc...

On topic tho, I challenge the premise of the thread, Democrats aren't evil, Obama did a lot of good and bad things like every President, I'd argue Trump winning was a bad guy winning because he is an evil con man.
Trump hasn't even been inaugurated yet. I didn't like Obama and hated how dismissive his supporters were of anyone that had a problem with him. He had a terrible national security and foreign policy. His economic policy wasn't fair to anyone that did get a government check or special tax break. The Obama economy doesn't have to be the new normal.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 11-21-2016 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-21-2016, 11:17 PM

World Builder

Trump will lie about delivering, like he did about the Ford plant in Kentucky

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-21-2016, 11:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I am talking about all the people that are registered Democrats in the rust belt that voted for Trump and whether or not they are going to change the party away from things like free trade or social conservatism.

I guess you are implying that with Trump at the head that people like you and I no longer have a home? I suppose I am expecting no down-ballot or lingering impact. I don't know if the Republicans can keep those voters especially if Trump doesn't delivery.

Trump hasn't even been inaugurated yet. I didn't like Obama and hated how dismissive his supporters were of anyone that had a problem with him. He had a terrible national security and foreign policy. His economic policy wasn't fair to anyone that did get a government check or special tax break. The Obama economy doesn't have to be the new normal.
The economy under Obama actually improved a lot. Obama was in some ways more conservative than even bush (going farther to fight terrorists); The problem is that a lot of the people who hated obama WERE racists (why do you think so many birthers made an issue)
Old 11-21-2016, 11:27 PM

Elune

Quote:
Trump will lie about delivering, like he did about the Ford plant in Kentucky
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mp-about-ford/

It seems half-true because a corporate tax cut will make it more competitive to build factories in the US.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:42 PM

World Builder

Quote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mp-about-ford/

It seems half-true because a corporate tax cut will make it more competitive to build factories in the US.
No, he just lied

Quote:
“No one really thought that plant would close,” said Bernard Swiecki, a senior automotive analyst at the Center for Automotive Research in Michigan, who tracks North American automakers' investment decisions. “These moves are not at all akin to saving the plant. That was never under consideration by anyone.”

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
politics