Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 AM

Arch-Druid

Default Russell Brower Leaves Blizzard

http://de.wowhead.com/news=268250/se...eaves-blizzard

To anyone familiar with my work at #Blizzard,

It’s with a heavy heart that I post this status update, but as they say, “all good things…”

I’m extremely proud of the amazingly talented team I helped build and the creative output we’ve accomplished together over these past 12 years. As the company has grown, the topography of the Sound team has adjusted accordingly, and the last couple of years have been no exception. With the success of a “sound de-centralization” initiative, my current position of overall Sr. Audio Director/Composer is no longer relevant and is being eliminated.

Today is my last day, though there is an excellent chance I will continue to contribute to Blizzard’s projects as a freelance composer. Obviously, I have a lot to figure out, so I do not have any further information to share as to what I will be doing next….yet. (Except for my solo album— that is well under way; stay tuned!)

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to EVERYONE reading this: all of our Players, Music Lovers, and the countless new friends I’ve made worldwide, for the incredible and indelible life experiences I have enjoyed while at Blizzard. Especially the Players— each of you have truly enriched our lives by playing our games, meeting us at #BlizzCon and #Nerdtacular, attending our music concerts the world over, enjoying our soundtrack albums and sheet music— the list goes on and on. We have so much to be proud of and I am truly grateful to each of you and to all my Blizzard colleagues for putting up with me over the last 12 years and teaching me so much.

I look forward to staying in touch with ALL of you, be it here on FaceBook, Twitter (handle-change coming up), and at future concerts (actually I have several #VGL shows still to come this year in Europe, China and Brazil.)
WATCH THIS SPACE for news of my solo album, the first track of which I just recorded in June with 51 of the FINEST studio musicians in Los Angeles!!! #AFM #Local47 FTW!

Wishing each of you all my best, with tons of gratitude,

Russell Brower
a.k.a. RB

"Sound de-centralization” initiative? WTF is that supposed to mean?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Probably outsourcing of music composition duties.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Probably outsourcing of music composition duties.
You do see a lot of new names for Legion and WoD music. It's probably for the best as well since it mixes things up.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:02 PM

Eternal

They already started this in MoP where half of the score was done by Jeremy Soule (Dawn of War, Fallout and Elder Scrolls)
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Elune

The biggest loss Blizzard has ever incurred, honestly. And they did so deliberately; Brower didn't want to leave.

Was the cost saving measure worth losing a talent like Brower..? I doubt it.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:38 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
They already started this in MoP where half of the score was done by Jeremy Soule (Dawn of War, Fallout and Elder Scrolls)
the music was the best part. only good part. of mop
Old 07-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post
The biggest loss Blizzard has ever incurred, honestly. And they did so deliberately; Brower didn't want to leave.

You think they care? They Blizzard you knew and loved is dead, long since.

This kind of shit shows that they're in just for the money. If they gave a damn about quality, they wouldn't let talent go away like that, and specially, they wouldn't kick away talent, and spit on the face of veteran employees.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-22-2017, 03:32 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicGuitars View Post

I mean he's still going to do contract work with Blizzard like the 4 other composers they've contracted for the past 10 years and will probably make more money.

The reality is this. His Director position was cut due to changes in Blizzard. An Audio Director oversees the process and quality of daily audio work on one title or SKU. This includes casting and recording voice overs, in multiple languages, original music, licensed music, sound effects for game objects and the user interface as well as ambient environmental sounds. All of that can be outsourced or done/managed by other people and likely plays a part in why Overwatch is getting so many new voice actors.

Russell was probably offered to stay as a Senior Composer just like Glenn Stafford who is still at Blizzard but rather than take a possible pay cut he took the layoff to go freelance and make more money and possibly find a Director position as Derek Duke is Blizzards Music Director. Kind of like how Senior Composer Jason Hayes (who apparently no one noticed left Blizzard earlier this year because he didn't make a Facebook post) left to be Riots Music Director. Russell was not the only composer for Blizzard nor did he do everything by himself. The world is not ending, Blizzards not suddenly doing no more music, and companies make organizational changes all the time. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there were doomsayers back in 2005 when Matt Uelmen left due to the Blizzard North drama (who Russell was hired to replace).
Old 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Is it time to unsub, lads?
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Chimaera

Its not the end of the world, or the end of Blizzard...

but this is the only departure in the last two years that I actually care about. Russel had a direct hand in wow and the world that it created. His touch was distinct, it was identifiable, and it still is awesome. I loved hearing him talk about the process of composing and the music he created for Blizzard over the years. Listen closely in-game, and you can identify a Brower track or musical sequence vs something created by one of the other artists.

Will there still be great music? I'd bet on it. Even if he does freelance for them, Russel Brower's influence will almost certainly be lessened...

I also just now realized after all these years that his name is Brower and not Browder...dunno why I thought that
Old 07-29-2017, 06:23 AM

Arch-Druid

There is also a Browder at Blizzard, he is the Heartstone team lead.

Tags
2017, blizzard