Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > General Blizzard Discussion

Old 02-05-2016, 10:38 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Default Warcraft Ultimate Movie Edition

It's a legit survey: https://i.imgur.com/JZxnxDN.png

MMO-C has a discussion on it as well.

Personally, this is more generous than I expected - I always figured there'd be an in-game tie-in to the film, which would not only help boost the box office for the movie, but also give a nice bump to the subscription numbers at the same time.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:40 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

That's pretty damn clever actually.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:48 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Just for Unitedstatesians, yes?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Just for Unitedstatesians, yes?
No idea.

I mean, we're better than everyone else, so I'd assume as much, but I don't mind sharing.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:09 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

It's cool but it's no "Free Pokemon card with your ticket."

I hope you can apply the game-time to a preexisting account.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Eternal

Yeah i would rather have a pokemon card. I have a special edition folder for the japanese version of the second pokemon movie. The one with the ancient mew card. It is pretty bad ass.

Movie was pretty shitty but that wasn't the point. It's a fine tangible item that is of high quality.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:04 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

It's brilliant anyone who gives a rats ass already had the game and making people play WoD is like an anti gift. It will serve to let them pad their sub numbers going into Legion creating the illusion things are back on track. Man do I ever regret spending money on WoD

Last edited by Sonneillon; 02-06-2016 at 12:07 AM..
Old 02-06-2016, 02:40 AM

Problemsolver

Would've been cooler if you were given WC1 and The Last Guardian, but I guess WoW and some months of gametime works as a better incetive for people.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:39 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
Would've been cooler if you were given WC1 and The Last Guardian, but I guess WoW and some months of gametime works as a better incetive for people.
Warcraft 1 with starcraft graphics plz.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 02-06-2016, 09:16 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Last Guardian would be cool but most people probably wouldn't read it and at this point I'm sure it will probably differ from "movie continuity" like a lot of other shit will.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Elune

But aren't all expansions barring WoD included when you buy WoW now anyway?
Old 02-06-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Yes.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
Yeah, but to anyone it's relevant too it's made to sound like a deal. In reality in the current mmo market with their subs and lack of content patches expansions should be free or 10 bucks but instead they charge huge amounts for them. It's not worth playing an expansion at launch, your better off waiting a year in when it's reduced in price and the like 1 content patch is released. Paying full price to pay for the sub to wait for a lack of content is a waste of time and money.

Last edited by Sonneillon; 02-06-2016 at 10:53 AM..
Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 AM

Sentinel Queen

My first instinct when I see this is that Blizzard is not confident in the movie being able to stand up on its own right. An offer like this strikes me as an attempt to basically bribe people to see it so it doesn't flop.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:55 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
My first instinct when I see this is that Blizzard is not confident in the movie being able to stand up on its own right. An offer like this strikes me as an attempt to basically bribe people to see it so it doesn't flop.
As I said earlier the deal doesn't apply to anyone who gives a shit about Warcraft and thus see the movie those that see the movie that haven't played the game aren't likely to start now, like 11 years in, if they do they are likely to continue past the month. It's all moot. It's like a weird bribe where no one gains anything really.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:15 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
As I said earlier the deal doesn't apply to anyone who gives a shit about Warcraft and thus see the movie those that see the movie that haven't played the game aren't likely to start now, like 11 years in, if they do they are likely to continue past the month. It's all moot. It's like a weird bribe where no one gains anything really.
Never said it was a good bribe. Just strikes me as an attempted bribe, specifically targeting former and current WoW players. It targets both with free game time, and the former by also giving them the other expansions.

I think the main reasoning behind this is that a small enough percentage of players read the books, and a movie is a Hell of a lot more expensive. Doubly so when you consider that, judging from the trailers, this movie has about as much CGI in it as the Star Wars prequels. So they offer this because there's no way the movie even makes back its budget if only the dedicated lore nerds go see it.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:40 AM

Keeper of the Grove

This may actually turn general people off to the movie, like a big marketing gimmick.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:42 AM

When will Blizzard be bought by Disney, anyway?
Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Eh, you'd be surprised how many people out there have never played or heard of WoW and would give it a shot after seeing the movie. I agree that most wouldn't stay the free month though.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:21 PM

Elune

The Cata leveling is ok, for a newbie who wants to experience the story, but if said person wants to know about Pre-Cata stuff then it will be a complete nightmare.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The Cata leveling is ok, for a newbie who wants to experience the story, but if said person wants to know about Pre-Cata stuff then it will be a complete nightmare.
And then they get to outland and are confused. "Garrosh being here? Warchief Thrall?"
And then Northrend. "Wait, the Lich king is alive? Another war on northrend?"
And then back to cata "Whaaaaat? So I'm back?"
And then pandaria is ok.
And then WoD, which has 0 explanation for someone who doesn't keep up with the lore in other mediums, and is literally "Dark portal turns red and the iron horde is invading." New players would go there and just give up trying to put anything together.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 PM

Well, they've got a boost, which allows them to skip twink-killer BC.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:19 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
My instinct was the opposite. It's designed for people who may be seeing the Warcraft movie who never played the game and might be curious about trying it out. Here you can get into the "good part" (yeah, yeah, WOD content) without having to level through cata, tbc and wotlk, so it leaves people with a rosy first impression and a month to play the game and then sub afterward.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
And then they get to outland and are confused. "Garrosh being here? Warchief Thrall?"
And then Northrend. "Wait, the Lich king is alive? Another war on northrend?"
And then back to cata "Whaaaaat? So I'm back?"
And then pandaria is ok.
And then WoD, which has 0 explanation for someone who doesn't keep up with the lore in other mediums, and is literally "Dark portal turns red and the iron horde is invading." New players would go there and just give up trying to put anything together.
I think most people who would truly care about it would catch on quickly.

I used to be in an RP guild that did a lot of teaching lore to either new players or experienced players that previously had no interest in lore. Some of them started in Cata and had no clue that BC and Wrath chronologically took place before the 1-60 leveling they did because they didn't really pay attention to quest text or anything. Once they showed interest they learned pretty quickly and often asked a lot of questions.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Elune

Hmm I plan to see the movie, for history's sake if nothing else, but my account is stuck to Cata, it would be interesting if this would give me those expansions for free, plus a month of gameplay.

I would probably take them up on that offer, screw around in lowbie BGs, maybe level up to experience the story. See if anyone I know is still alive, that kind of stuff

Tags
warcraft, warcraft movie