Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

View Poll Results: where do you want starcraft to go next?
Koprulu sector but different characters and factions 4 44.44%
Koprulu but same characters, new plotlines 2 22.22%
Earth or entirely New places and aliens 2 22.22%
other (explain in thread) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2015, 12:49 PM

World Builder

Default The Future of Starcraft

While Legacy of the Voids story was disappointing, the news of the mini nova campaign, and the news that while theyre done with the current plot theyre not done with starcraft as an IP, has left us in an interesting place with some potential for good development.

Where do you think we'll go from here? Whats your favorite idea or biggest fear going forward?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-12-2015, 01:05 PM

Eternal

World of Starcraft, obviously.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 11-12-2015, 01:16 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
While Legacy of the Voids story was disappointing, the news of the mini nova campaign, and the news that while theyre done with the current plot theyre not done with starcraft as an IP, has left us in an interesting place with some potential for good development.

Where do you think we'll go from here? Whats your favorite idea or biggest fear going forward?
Given it takes them 6 years to finish one campaign, no where.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 PM

Banished

lol.

------------

I kinda think that they're soft rebooting starcraft after the mini-campaigns cycle by setting the story enough time ahead for the terran cast to die.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Somewhere where Kerrigan isn't, hopefully.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Quote:
While Legacy of the Voids story was disappointing.
as if Starcraft was any Godsend quality super story.

You guys are overrating everything
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 11-12-2015, 04:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

One of Blizzard's problems is that, by trying so hard to make everything epic, nothing feels epic.

The clear solution is to downsize. The next StarCraft game should take place on a single planet (or at least a single system), and be for relatively low stakes. Interest can be maintained by creating believable and sympathetic characters for each faction.

This would make it harder to justify large-scale battles, but you can sort of hand-wave that away. It's not like StarCraft is terribly committed to verisimilitude. Alternately, technology's advanced to the point where it's relatively easy to produce large numbers of machines.

Maybe rather than having campaigns for each faction, you have a single campaign that can go in multiple directions. The ideal outcome is one that meets the needs of all three factions, but most will favor one or two factions.

EDIT: Actually, since campaigns rarely provide good grounding for multiplayer strategies, you could dispense or limit the amount of base-building. Instead, build infrastructure for an army over multiple missions. Games like Ground Control and Myth: The Fallen Lords have done this sort of thing in the past (though it shouldn't be too much like those). Even Starcraft 2 did a bit of this, since the missions you chose determined the units you received.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 11-12-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
One of Blizzard's problems is that, by trying so hard to make everything epic, nothing feels epic.

The clear solution is to downsize. The next StarCraft game should take place on a single planet (or at least a single system), and be for relatively low stakes. Interest can be maintained by creating believable and sympathetic characters for each faction.

This would make it harder to justify large-scale battles, but you can sort of hand-wave that away. It's not like StarCraft is terribly committed to verisimilitude. Alternately, technology's advanced to the point where it's relatively easy to produce large numbers of machines.

Maybe rather than having campaigns for each faction, you have a single campaign that can go in multiple directions. The ideal outcome is one that meets the needs of all three factions, but most will favor one or two factions.
They shouldn't even need to shrink it down that much. It used to be about the fate of one sector of the Milky Way Galaxy, and that provided sufficient urgency and scale because the characters living in it made us care about what would happen to them. Then SC2 went and made it about the fate of the entire universe depending on a bunch of zealots, zerglings and marines beating the crap out of each other in one tiny sector on the edge of one galaxy.

We don't even know who or what lives in most of the universe. It's a big, faceless, nebulous concept that's meant to make events seem big and important, but serves only to detract from the comparative scale and importance of the characters.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post

EDIT: Actually, since campaigns rarely provide good grounding for multiplayer strategies, you could dispense or limit the amount of base-building. Instead, build infrastructure for an army over multiple missions. Games like Ground Control and Myth: The Fallen Lords have done this sort of thing in the past (though it shouldn't be too much like those). Even Starcraft 2 did a bit of this, since the missions you chose determined the units you received.
Well I mean... both Starcraft and Warcraft are downsized babies first Warhammer franchise... so yeah...
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
While Legacy of the Voids story was disappointing
I actually think it was fine (except for the epilogue, that is).
Old 11-12-2015, 05:45 PM

World Builder

A bit more abstract than i was hoping but i agree with Arm and hlaalu

I think future campaigns will likely be focused stories like the nova mini campaign or the zeratul bits in wings of liberty

Maybe with some unique or new units tossed in for flavor and popping up in co op if they're popular

Tal darim provide a good protoss antagonist, and the kel morians and feral zerg round out other options for campaign enemies

A campaign across a single solar system of umoja vs kel moria might be neat, fighting over alien artifacts or resources, or just cause the combine wants to capitalize on the dominion being too busy to back up their rich umojan buddies

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Elune

Quote:
A bit more abstract than i was hoping but i agree with Arm and hlaalu

I think future campaigns will likely be focused stories like the nova mini campaign or the zeratul bits in wings of liberty

Maybe with some unique or new units tossed in for flavor and popping up in co op if they're popular

Tal darim provide a good protoss antagonist, and the kel morians and feral zerg round out other options for campaign enemies

A campaign across a single solar system of umoja vs kel moria might be neat, fighting over alien artifacts or resources, or just cause the combine wants to capitalize on the dominion being too busy to back up their rich umojan buddies
That's another idea; make it so the stakes are personal. Or maybe you're just in it to get rich.

Back in the early '00s there was a RTS game called Sacrifice, which let you choose the faction you wanted to help (and you could switch sides to a degree). The game was clunky, but it was original and different. A hypothetical Starcraft 3 could benefit from imitating its structure.

Single planet or system. You have a Terran colony there, maybe a wildcat colony that's not really affiliated with the Dominion or any other power group. It's shared with some Protoss, who are protecting ancient relics. There are also Zerg maybe coalescing under a hybrid leader--I don't remember the details of HotS well enough to really come up with anything here.

You'd also have time to explore the planet, its different settlements and locations, to get a feel for the place. It'd obviously be pretty limited (maybe something along the lines of being able to explore the ship in Wings of Liberty), but give you a chance to figure out who you want to fight for, and why.

EDIT: Interesting idea for a possible ending. You come to the conclusion that you're actually the source of the problem, since you are destabilizing the situation between all three main factions. Thus, the goal of the final mission is to destroy yourself, or at least to convincingly fake a suicide.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 11-12-2015 at 05:59 PM..
Old 11-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm too tired to care anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:03 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I'm too tired to care anymore.
Im sorry spiderbro, come wildstar with me maybe?

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Arch-Druid

Another sector of Starcraft, but not the Korprulu.

Show some of the rest of the galaxy.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullroarer View Post
Another sector of Starcraft, but not the Korprulu.

Show some of the rest of the galaxy.
I guess they could do something with the UED.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:29 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
World of Starcraft, obviously.
Pls no.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Alarak series. I also want to see what happens to the Zerg without Kerrigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:14 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Alarak series. I also want to see what happens to the Zerg without Kerrigan.
Alarak tries to get Terrazine from worlds around Char, and he finds out why the protoss on aiur lost to the zerg way back when, but causes him to explore new technologies for future battles.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-22-2015, 12:16 PM

Elune

I kinda would rather he carve out his own piece of the universe, maybe coming into contact with the other races. I'd love to see someone try and go to Earth.
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:19 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I kinda would rather he carve out his own piece of the universe, maybe coming into contact with the other races. I'd love to see someone try and go to Earth.
Eh no real reason for anyone to try and contact earth, they attacked the Dominion so Valerian wants none of that.

The zerg probably aren't going to make any more infested kerrigan type humans so they don't need to go there.

Well

Actually

Stukov

Stukov could go to earth to see what's up, maybe look for a cure for his condition...? Long shot since I don't think he wants to be a lab rat anymore.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 11-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

UED could try to clone or grow their own Overmind. Or Cerebrate. They tried to harness the Zerg before. I wouldn't put it past them.

As for getting Protoss out there, what if it was one of the other 2 Arkships fleeing the Zerg invasion of Aiur?
Old 11-22-2015, 03:53 PM

Elune

SoA was the last one though.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Elune

I'm just starting Legacy of the Void.

Mengsk's actual popularity is still unclear to me. I think I said it before, but the UNN clips in Wings of Liberty were a really poorly executed. The fact that Lockwell can report on Raynor's popularity shows that either A) Mengsk doesn't control media, or B) he's completely incompetent at running an authoritarian state.

We'll go with B, since that fits better with what's been said about the Dominion. Clearly, Mengsk's not that popular beyond the Core Worlds, and his support is far from unanimous even there. So maybe people are glad to be rid of him.

So one thing I'm wondering is: just how exactly will Valerian be accepted? He staged a coup against his father, and used Zerg to deliver the finishing blow. This last part seems like it might embitter a lot of people in the Dominion. They've been told Raynor's a bad guy (and even if they didn't like Mengsk, they might have accepted him as a sort of protector), and they know the Zerg are awful. Now they're just supposed to accept Valerian, even after he let the Zerg slaughter a tremendous portion of the Dominion military? The armed forces should hate him (and they might not like Raynor becoming a commander, either). A coup attempt is probably inevitable.

It'd be interesting to see them explore this, though I rather doubt they will in any great detail. Realistically, Valerian might face a lot of challenges in being accepted.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 PM

Loremaster

Mengsk always retained a certain weakness that prevented him from controlling information as effectively as the UPL/UED on Earth or his Confederate predecessors in the Koprulu Sector. Unfortunately for him, it was a weakness he couldn't really do anything about due to the context in which he came to power.

Namely, he built the public trust in his leadership by specifically calling out that sort of stuff in the Confederacy. As soon as he highlighted the terrors of Confederate Ghosts assassinating dissidents all the time, nukes being dropped on certain disobedient worlds, and tight government controls on information preventing such things from becoming widely known as the problems with the old Confederate guard, his promises to not be the same by necessity hamstrung his own ability to rely on such tactics as extensively.

He was always undermined by the need to juggle his desired public image of not being like the Confederacy with the reality of being far more like them than he was willing to admit to himself.

Tags
speculation, starcraft