Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-23-2018, 10:32 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default Your top 5 Warcraft characters?

Inspired on a Reddit submission.
  • Ner'zhul
Warchief of the Horde of Draenor.

The original Lich King.

Ner'zhul's presence in Warcraft III made the game feel truly alive. Very few Warcraft characters are as multi-layered as Ner'zhul.

Despite falling prey to Kil'Jaeden's machinations, Ner'zhul had the best interests of his people at heart. He fell many times, and rose back again as much as many. A powerful shaman. The most powerful necromancer, and then, the most powerful death knight.

It's a shame his whole character and portrayal were both ruined in Rise of the Lich King, because in comparison to him, Arthas' stratagems and maneuvers were petty at best.
  • Darion Mograine

The second wielder of Ashbringer.

Son of Alexandros Mograine, Highlord of the Silver Hand and Uther's successor, also leader of the Four Horsemen.

Once the Master of Acherus and head of the Ashen Verdict, now leader of the Four Horsemen.

Darion Mograine saw the death of his entire family and the demise of his entire kingdom by the hands of the Lich King. And then, in undeath, Darion served the one who destroyed everything he loved, and was very competent at that.

Until Tirion Fordring and the Holy Light broke him free from the Lich King's shackles.

Then Darion proceeded on his march of success, leading an elite force of death knights throughout a successful campaign across Northrend, one that, alongside the Argent Crusade, rivals in both effort and results the campaigns of both Alliance and Horde.

Darion Mograine is arguably the most interesting, multi-layered and successful WoW-exclusive character. His second death in Legion, now binding him to serve Bolvar, raises expectancy for upcoming promising portrayals.
  • Kael'thas Sunstrider

Kael's rebellious personality clashed with his responsible decisions, as leader of the Blood Elves during The Frozen Throne.

Every single scene that portrays Kael riles the audience up with excitement, with anticipation over how he's going to act.

It's unfortunate that he was reduced to generic villainy in World of Warcraft.
  • Maiev Shadowsong

Maiev is another multi-layered character. Her desire for vengeance towards Illidan made her stand out during Warcraft III, and the reports of her supposed unstable mental condition only make her more interesting when portrayed as - even if barely - reasonable.

Maiev drifts away from standard Night Elven culture and even usual mannerisms, marking her presence as a rebel, but one that had thousands of years of reasons to be so.

Maiev makes me wish that we had more elven characters on the same vein, preferably on leadership positions.
  • Vol'jin

That is, World of Warcraft Vol'jin. Mighty amongst all trolls, close to the Loa and even having Pandaren combat training.

The Shadow Hunter Vol'jin appears in World of Warcraft in a handful of opportunities, most of them leading small armies against the Zandalari, and then against Garrosh. Thanks to him, the Darkspear Rebellion was a success and he was the one who voiced the ideals to restore the Horde, to being a honorable family again.

However, one thing that bothers me is that World of Warcraft Vol'jin is essentially Warcraft III Rokhan. In Warcraft III, Vol'jin was merely a witch doctor, and didn't have such immense combat prowess we are able to see in WoW.

In the end, we lose by having Vol'jin take Rokhan's persona and role, because once he died, Rokhan was now empty and devoid of characterization.

Because of that, Rokhan ended up as a shallow character who could've had so much better.

Having both of them following separate roles, Vol'jin the witch doctor, and Rokhan the shadow hunter, would have avoided that and made for a more rich and diverse universe.

Bonus: Chief Telemancer Oculeth.

Oculeth is a master of teleportation and portalcraft. This is a very unique trait and you can even see him using such knowledge in combat. Oculeth is a character with a distinct personality, one that the player learns to grow fond with, because in key moments of the *artifact wielder*'s journey, Oculeth made himself present by being immensely useful. Expertise with portals was once a key trait of Jaina Proudmoore, and it's very refreshing to see a millennia-old elf showcasing the potential of the abilities one can attain through countless years of practice and research in such an exquisite field.

Last edited by Krainz; 04-23-2018 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 06:56 AM

Demon Hunter

Oil

I'll bite. Not sure I could fill out five though.

Varian Wrynn, Wrath/Cataclysm

Remember when people hated Varian Wrynn? Remember when he was tipping the apple cart of Alliance/Horde peace before Blizzard decided that the faction war had to be Star Wars and have a three act structure, heroes, and fill a bunch of check boxes? I do.

Varian Wrynn was not evil, he was not unreasonable, and he was not simply bloodthirsty. He was a counterpoint to Thrall's horde, and he was there to point out and not tolerate it's failings. Without delving into all of them. I liked Varian Wrynn because he, to borrow a phrase, noticed the Dreadlord. At the same time, no, he wasn't a cardboard cutout who just hated the Horde for the sake of it. I understand they were going for a "character growth" arc before they axed him in Legion, but I wonder what the Alliance could have been if they kept this guy around as a counterpoint to Thrall.

Thrall, Pre-Cata

Green Jesus demolished this character, but I did appreciate him before. In Warcraft III, I saw a different set of ideologies within the Horde that, while not pacifist, suggested that the Horde could be something different, something that would allow them to effectively run a country of their own without that country simply being a Mordor. Importantly, he would protect that vision when it came under threat, such as when he takes Grom to task in the early part of the Orc campaign.

In the Vanilla era, we learn that this doesn't necessarily translate into good, ongoing leadership. A lot of this ties in to what I had discussed about Varian, but that antagonistic relationship seems purpose-built for a simmering cold war that could occasionally go hot, with Varian replying to some failure taken as aggression, and Thrall having to react as sub-leaders strain his ability to get his way. Again, it's a shame they didn't do more with this.

Maiev Shadowsong

Wolfheart nearly destroyed this character, and I'm not sure that it still hasn't. It seemed as though it was intended to typecast all skepticism of arcane magic as evil, and was planning to burn Maiev to make the point. Her not liking Highborne or being skeptical of the Alliance makes sense to me. Her murdering people and starting a coup four seconds after she returns home doesn't, and introduces an elephant to the room when she's back onside that I don't think has been properly addressed.

That said, Krainz's impressions mirror my own. Except that I would say that she differs from most Elves in a way that I saw Night Elves differing from most Elves, and I wish she would be used as more as the epitome of what a Night Elf is instead of an exception.

Arthas Menethil, Warcraft III, undead campaigns

Arthas annoyed me in Wrath. They spent too much time hyping him up as the big bad guy with indomitable powers in Wrath when his strengths in Warcraft III often came from him having just enough power to be a threat, but not so much that he didn't have to carefully navigate the situation, making the eventual victory earned and respectable, rather than a raw reflection of power level. He had emotions and especially an ego that died out the moment he put on Nerzhul's crown.

Garrosh Hellscream, Cataclysm

I didn't like Cataclysm, but I found this character intriguing, and a bit tragic given what they later did to him. Thrall left him with a mess and he decided to clean it up the only way he knew how. But what made him different from warchiefs cast in a similar vein is that he held to a set of standards. He had no tolerance for the use of fel magic and he would harshly punish the deliberate killing of civilians (or at least he did that one time), and I like the potential of that. For the Alliance, it presents an antagonist where yes, he is worth fighting, but you can't simply claim that he's just out to exterminate you either. It sets the conflict up as something that can be more ideological.

They could have reinforced this with the depiction of occupied towns, or more clear indications of Garrosh dismissing subordinates who in his opinion committed war crimes, while at the same time showing him as being committed to seeing the Horde made great through war.

I just realized that all of my favorite characters were later wrecked in some fashion. Damnit...

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 04-24-2018 at 07:02 AM..
Old 04-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Kel Thuzad - He's just a great guy.

Brink - A named gnome who isn't a joke. Astounding!

Silas Darkmoon - A named being who isn't a joke and who appears for the most part to be a gnome. Marvelous!

C'thun - Best old god.

Zul'jin - All land is troll land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:01 PM

Elune

1. Grom Hellscream, the original of course. You can talk a lot about Grom, how he was the worst and realized his mistake, how he was deeply flawed but still tried... But all of that is outshined by just one moment and for me easily the finest piece of Blizz writing out there. When Thrall and Grom went after Mannoroth and Thrall got knocked out Mannoroth said to Grom:"In your heart you know we are the same." And that is not just a taunt, it is a promise. If Grom would embrace what Mannoroth thinks he is he can have it all, he can become a demonically empowered berserker leading an army of similar orcs across a thousand battlefields to forever slaughter in the Legion's name. Everything Grom ever wanted, or is it? Because he rejects that offer and runs down Mannoroth. It is such a powerful moment it is hard to describe, it is a total rejection of everything that made Grom bad and a true redemption all in an instant and all without being cheesy. Maybe it doesn't seem like much on the face of it but to me it really is the highest quality thing Blizz ever wrote.

2. Ner'zul (I prefer that spelling :-P), similar to what Krainz wrote. I like how NZ was truly loyal to his people, he really wanted to save the orcs but this along with his inherent weaknesses was exploited by KJ to lead them to ruin. He kept trying to save the orcs but those weaknesses and his defeats molded him into something darker and he finally gave in near the end of the BtDP saga. Captured and tortured by KJ in a truly horrific ordeal he was not broken but made harder, purer. The way he lead the undead to victory despite overwhelming odds is nothing short of genius and you have to give him respect. Respect for beating the Alliance at its strongest with a bunch of infiltrators, respect for outscheming the legion and dooming their assault and eventually breaking free. Sadly what was meant to be his crowning moment, breaking free of his prison and merging with/possessing Arthas was retconned into the horrible "Arthas only" malarkey and for me that remains by far the worst story disappointment ever. Though this "betrayal" by Blizz only gives him sympathy points so...

3. Kael'thas. I really enjoyed his snark back in TFT, he was one of the more realistic characters Blizz ever produced. A decent man put in horrible circumstances forced to make tough choices as he bounces from one disaster to another. He was a really interesting and well written character and sadly another wasted character (2nd worst waste after NZ). He is one of the greatest "what could have beens" of Warcraft, a truly amazing leader for the blood elves and an independent and fascinating force within the Horde (imagine Thrall, Sylvanas and Kael all clashing together). Alas it was not to be, rest in peace Sun King, they can't hurt you anymore. Then again it is Blizz we're talking about...

4. Thrall and Jaina, kind of cheating by picking two characters but bear with me. I think both were better in the past, leaders who had the best interests of their people at heart but weren't afraid to do what needs to be done. Be that breaking with tradition or getting in the thick of it with the grunts. Simply put they were reasonable, brave and likeable even a jaded guy like me who loves some grit can't dislike that especially since they were well written and had a personality (no wonder people tried to ship them ). Then things went off course and they both became too passive which was directly against their characterization and in general Blizzard wrecked the characters though revamped, edgy!Jaina may yet turn out to be interesting.

5. Kil'Jaeden. Truly a master manipulator and easily the most interesting demon character. I just thought he was very cool and had style. As with most of these characters I feel he was later ruined by Blizzard, I mean come on. The ultimate trickster in the Warcraft setting allows himself to die like a dupe? If anyone from the Burning Legion should have remained it was KJ.

Some honorable mentiones: Arthas (his humor was probably best in WC3), Terenas Menethil (shrewd yet compassionate leader), Doomhammer and Lothar (both are capable and likeable leaders), Nekros Skullcrusher, Deathstalker Commander Belmont, Apothecary Lydon, Nazgrel, Nazgrim, Edwin van Cleef and his daughter, Muradin, Saurfang, Magister Rommath, Teron Gorefiend, Uther the Lightbringer, Kel'Thuzzard, Archimonde (his speech when destroying Dalaran... awesome), Rexxar, Daelin Proudmoore, Garithos, Eitrigg, Tirion and Darion Mograine.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:59 AM

Eternal

Malfurion Stormrage, Kael'thas Sunstrider, Medivh Aran, The Lich King (yes, I'm cheating), and Kel'thuzad.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:02 AM

Arch-Druid

Medivh
Khadgar
Valeera
Meryl
Jaina/Daelin

...I like Guardian stuff. >.>

Flynn and Taelia are already getting up there though.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:26 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I forgot the obligatory reference to Med'an. Clearly the best character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM

Echo of the Past

1) Aedis Brom
2) Christoph Faral

Because they have initiated the Mandela Effect in WoW, by remembering things I do which no longer are.

3) Gavinrad the Dire
Because after Uther was written out of the First War, Gavinrad was written into his place - Veteran of the Three Wars. Also he shares my opinion about Arthad.

4) Blackhand
And really his entire family. Pretty much all incarnations intrigue me.

5) Ner'zhul
For being an actual character.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Vol'jin
Genn
EELEEDAN
Maiev
Jarod
Old 05-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Gavinrad the Dire: He's got the coolest name among the old paladins. (Dathrohan and Morgraine also have cool names, but he wins.)

Alexandros Mograine: He's the real Ashbringer and the one who should have led the Silver Hand, not that renegade.

Jaina: Because she was once my favourite Wacrarft 3 character, before World of Warcraft happened.

Nazgrim: Because, although he kept stealing my promotions, he died well, and a good death goes a long way to earn my seal of approval.

Mekkadrill: Because he and the gnomes sacrificed much to keep Azeroth safe during the Third War.

Tags
characters, warcraft