Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
They showed in the trailer for BfA the alliance taking over the plaguelands, home of the Argents, though that could be hyperbole on Blizzard's part.
That doesn't mean the Alliance is going to force the Argents to join, or kick the Horde races out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:56 AM

Hippogryph

They would if they acted like a capable coalition. But they don't.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

How were the plaguelands called before the plague?
Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
How were the plaguelands called before the plague?
The Eastweald, according to Chronicle Volume 1, 2, and 3.

EDIT: I wonder what the origins of the virmen are. At BlizzCon 2011 they were called "akin to kobolds"; obviously that could just mean they're similar to kobolds (small, annoying, rodent-like humanoids with a distinctive catch phrase), but it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they were an offshoot of kobolds. While they're mainly rabbit-like, they do also have rat-like features (the tail, mainly), and weirder things have happened when it comes to Azerothian evolution (Cenarius' family tree, for one). I suppose they could also just be rabbits that drank from the Vale of Eternal Blossoms' waters, specificially the runoff that ended up in the Valley of the Four Winds, but I would personally find that to be a pretty boring explanation.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 03-17-2018 at 08:49 AM..
Old 04-06-2018, 06:50 PM

Echo of the Past

I hereby repeat my expert opinion that Bloodthistle ought be considered a plant with literal thistles that are applied to one's tongue, entering the bloodstream as it interacts with taste buds.

Having it ground up and smoked, as depicted in the draft to Shadow of the Sun? Boo! Lousy!

EDIT: This random thought inspired by Jessica Jones Season 2 and the "combat enhancer" subplot.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-06-2018 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM

Druid of the Claw

I was just thinking, does chronicles ever describe the climate of Kalimdor pre-sundering? I noticed looking at the map, that with no large bodies of water in the interior, it should be mostly desert:https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20160316000142

EDIT: I wanted to post the map here, but the file is too big

Last edited by Mungo; 04-14-2018 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: added a message
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 PM

Mountain Giant

I think it was mostly temperate. The area around the Well of Eternity wasn't a desert at all.

Do remember that there was Mystical Titan Blood flowing around everywhere, so...
Old 04-15-2018, 11:20 AM

Banished

Azeroth was terraformed by the titans and the titan description of nature seems to be synonymous with forest, so most likely it was all forest

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 04-15-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

The titans built their forges on top of a flesh-layered Azeroth

The curse of flesh was inevitable
Old 04-20-2018, 07:02 PM

Echo of the Past

Rackenfracken...

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Iron_Horde
Quote:
The orcs of main-universe Draenor were said to not have been seafarers, as most of the superstitious clans feared the open sea... [citation Chronicle Volume 2]

...like how the Iron Horde has several fleets when the orcs were supposed to fear the seas.
Volume 2 really says that several clans feared the open sea? So angryfaced, yet strangely resigned.

You know, I'd flirted with the idea of buying Volume 2 after all this time. But bleh!

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-20-2018 at 07:05 PM..
Old 04-20-2018, 08:09 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Rackenfracken...

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Iron_Horde

Volume 2 really says that several clans feared the open sea? So angryfaced, yet strangely resigned.

You know, I'd flirted with the idea of buying Volume 2 after all this time. But bleh!
Doesn't mean all clans were like that. Plus, it shows ogres were great seafaterws. The Gorian Empire had land on other continents of Dawgar beyond the main one, for example.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:24 PM

Loremaster

I'm not sure why the Iron Horde's fleet makes for a disparity. They probably both started out predominantly fearing the sea, which stands to reason, since on Draenor the sea is basically inhabited by a fungal hivemind that's always trying to spread onto the continent and consume everything. Honestly it'd make sense if every native race on Draenor were pretty terrified of the sea; it's a nightmarish expanse of waters infested by an infectious fungal ecosystem that routinely vomits horrors onto the coastlines and aggressively strives to spread its contagions inland. Unlike Azeroth, being inland may not even be a surefire defense against the terrors of Draenor's seas, as the Crimson Fen in Gorgrond is treated like some unknown, recent thing and its layout suggests it may have spread inland along a river to infect the surrounding area.

We saw with both Draenors that once you unify the orcs with a bunch of fancy stuff that lets them handily murder everything they've ever been afraid of, they tend to lose their fear. So when they got fel magic in the MU depleting and killing off the environment, or powerful technology in the AU that let them blast the crap out of anything that threatened them, they got over their fear and built a bunch of ships.

Because that Wowpedia citation also omits that according to Chronicle 2, the MU orcs did build a fleet at the height of their power on Draenor. By that time the draenei, arakkoa and ogres were already beaten, but the orcs built a bunch of ships to travel to Farahlon and exterminate the Primals living there.

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-20-2018 at 08:30 PM..
Old 04-21-2018, 01:58 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Because that Wowpedia citation also omits that according to Chronicle 2, the MU orcs did build a fleet at the height of their power on Draenor. By that time the draenei, arakkoa and ogres were already beaten, but the orcs built a bunch of ships to travel to Farahlon and exterminate the Primals living there.
Actually, the book says that because the orcs weren't seafarers, the Bleeding Hollow relied on ogre shipwrights to build vessels capable of crossing the ocean in order to get to Farahlon (page 97), which is consistent with what is stated later when the Horde constructs their fleet prior to the Second War (page 151).

Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Actually, the book says that because the orcs weren't seafarers, the Bleeding Hollow relied on ogre shipwrights to build vessels capable of crossing the ocean in order to get to Farahlon (page 97), which is consistent with what is stated later when the Horde constructs their fleet prior to the Second War (page 151).
Well right, they had the ogres do it because they weren't previously seafarers themselves.

Draenor's orcs probably weren't either, until Garrosh and his Blackfuse allies showed them how to build warships. Which would stand to reason, as the ogres were completely blindsided by the orcs sinking their fleet, so they probably never even conceived of the possibility that the orcs could build warships of their own.

Moreover, once their ogre-built ships were finished, the MU orcs were willing to sail them to Farahlon, so they'd apparently gotten over their fear of the seas. Perhaps because by then they were under the effects of the demonic blood haze and the planet's widlife was beginning to die off from the fel, so along with the orcs being more recklessly aggressive and bold the oceans could have also become less dangerous than they'd been before.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:32 AM

Echo of the Past

I love you all.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM

Druid of the Claw

There's something I've wondered about Sylvanas. We all know the story of a wicked person having a near-death experience and learning they're going to hell unless they change their ways. This basically happened to Sylvanas in her short story 'Edge of Night'(minus the change your ways part). My question is: why didn't Sylvanas discuss what happened to her with anybody? I'm sure the tauren and the blood elves would have some insight into her experience(maybe even arrange a meeting with someone from the Church of the Holy Light?). Granted, she had done some pretty bad things up till then, but making amends and walking a better path could earn her redemption.

The problem is we still don't know what she experienced. Was it really WoW-Hell(the shadow-lands?)? An illusion by the val'kyr to force a pact from her? An after-effect from impaling herself on saronite? The simple fact of being undead?
Until this is answered, there's only speculation. I'm just wondering why she didn't get some advice(well, of course, because the story is written that way).
Old 06-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Chimaera

Dark Mirror mentions that Sylvanas did tell Nathanos about it, but that he was the only one she confided in.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/st...ry/dark-mirror
Quote:
To [Nathanos] alone had [Sylvanas] entrusted the tale of the day after the Lich King's fall, when she'd felt her purpose on this world was fulfilled and sought to claim the eternal rest long denied her. But when she dashed her body upon the frozen rocks beneath Icecrown Citadel, only the relentless hunger of the void awaited her. Though she refused to say the words, he knew her well enough to recognize when true fear gripped her heart.
I'm guessing it might be down to a combination of not wanting to show weakness by openly telling people about the one thing that terrifies her the most (especially now that she's warchief and the tauren and blood elves are her subjects); not believing she has any actual chance of redemption to the point where she'll go to a less hellish afterlife and so she might as well just continue her current behavior; and simply not wanting to ask anyone for help and being confident that she can keep herself safe from the afterlife on her own using her val'kyr and Forsaken.

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft