Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Sonneillon Sonneillon is offline

Lord of the
Assassin's League
Sonneillon's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canadaland
Posts: 9,972
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Default

You people are high. They are Warhammer orcs with a buncha tropes slapped on...
__________________
"Forgetting is like a wound. The wound may heal but it has already left a scar."
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 04-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Westlee Westlee is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,085

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
You people are high. They are Warhammer orcs with a buncha tropes slapped on...
Orks wit a 'K' ya git!

Last edited by Westlee; 04-26-2014 at 08:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

I hope we see many AU versions of orcs whose clan hasn't been revealed. I'd love to know which clan Mankrik, Nazgrim and Gorgonna belong to.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM
JorgeAxe JorgeAxe is offline

Sentinel Queen
JorgeAxe's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 906

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I hope we see many AU versions of orcs whose clan hasn't been revealed. I'd love to know which clan Mankrik, Nazgrim and Gorgonna belong to.
The first one is actually revealed, Mankrik is Burning Blade.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
It's really been a case of Blizzard shitting on the Alliance and Horde storyline, but with the added bonus of the Alliance fanbase requesting to shit further on the Horde fanbase.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
The first one is actually revealed, Mankrik is Burning Blade.
Isn't that just a theory?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM
JorgeAxe JorgeAxe is offline

Sentinel Queen
JorgeAxe's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 906

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Isn't that just a theory?
He had a Burning Blade Banner right outsides his hutt in Vanilla.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
It's really been a case of Blizzard shitting on the Alliance and Horde storyline, but with the added bonus of the Alliance fanbase requesting to shit further on the Horde fanbase.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 04-27-2014, 06:58 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,027

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I think the development of an industrial orchish Horde is awesome.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcaller View Post
I've heard this a lot when people ask what the real-world inspiration for the Orcs are, but personally I think it's equal parts Mongols and ancient Germanic warrior societies. In essence trade the Mongols horses for axes and change their focus from conquest to survival.
I'd say it's all kinds of barbarian groups. The grunts even wear stereotypical "Viking helmets".

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 04-27-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,433

Default

I see a lot of Germanic parallels in the orcs. Axes, wolves, berserkers, great migrations, totalitarian dictatorships, guttural languages, etc...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-28-2014, 01:54 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAxe View Post
He had a Burning Blade Banner right outsides his hutt in Vanilla.
I always thought that that was just Blizzard's way of telling us that he'd become a Blademaster. Well, I guess we likely won't be seeing him in WoD, on our side, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I'd say it's all kinds of barbarian groups. The grunts even wear stereotypical "Viking helmets".
So... Germanic.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 03-17-2018, 05:10 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

What do we know about the Burning Blade clan? According to WoD, they were one of the most honourable clans, used grease to ignite their blades and were unparalleled swordsmen. Looking at their vestments and traditional prayer beads, we are given the impression that this is a clan that, like the Frostwolves, does not give in to their inner bloodlust; in this case via meditation (under a waterfall!) and intense focus on their training. An orcish version of the pandaren monk that favours sword fighting over hand-to-hand combat and invokes only air in order to create mirror images, instead of air, earth and fire...

Then there's their old Horde incarnation; madmen who need to be kept in check by ogres lest they turn on their own allies. Fel crazed berserkers whose only purpose is to kill. By the time of Warcraft 3, most had mellowed out and found their way back to their old traditions, swearing to reclaim their honour and serve as Thrall's bodyguards.

So how did it come to this? Why were they replaced by the Kor'kron? Why are most Blademasters seen in WOW either the Horde's enemies or actually members of other clans, like Mankrik? Why was the name of the Burning Blade sullied by turning it into a Burning Legion cult?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 03-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,118

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

So how did it come to this? Why were they replaced by the Kor'kron? Why are most Blademasters seen in WOW either the Horde's enemies or actually members of other clans, like Mankrik? Why was the name of the Burning Blade sullied by turning it into a Burning Legion cult?

I think the Burning blade was probably already on track to valuing strength too highly, as evidenced by Azuka and her family in the AU

They probably took to fel magic TOO well, and ended up revering fel-flame and demons for their power, causing the clan to break up.

I imagine there are too few Blademasters left to bodyguard, so that leaves the Kor'kron to replace them.

HUH we have the Burning Blade's Heir
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Gorn
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 03-18-2018 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 03-18-2018, 08:47 PM
TerrorhoofMayo TerrorhoofMayo is offline

Arch-Druid
TerrorhoofMayo's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,071
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Default

This is the description of blade masters in WC3.
Quote:
Though their numbers are few, the seasoned Blademasters represent an elite fighting force within the Horde. These skilled swordsmen were once part of the ill-fated Burning Blade Clan which consumed itself in the throes of Demonic corruption. With their Clan scattered and broken, the proud Blademasters swore a grim oath to free themselves and their brethren from Demonic control once and for all. Under Thrall's command, the Blademasters have once again joined the Horde and serve as the young Warchief's personal honor guard.
So maybe they started zen but got into the whole demonic corruption thing along with their fellow orcs. I can see their honor dictating them to go along with it to protect their people, however misled that idea is.

They are probably too few to serve in the same capacity as the Kor'kron, but I can still see them work as individual agents like Ishi did during MoP.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 03-18-2018, 10:21 PM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,461

Default

One might perhaps speculate that they had their bloodlust tempered and restrained before the Horde, but reacted to drinking Mannoroth's blood that much more violently because they weren't used to constantly indulging their own aggression.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 03-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
One might perhaps speculate that they had their bloodlust tempered and restrained before the Horde, but reacted to drinking Mannoroth's blood that much more violently because they weren't used to constantly indulging their own aggression.
And since the blood exacerbated impulses they were (presumably) already fighting against...

In Warcraft 3, quite a few Blademasters still served a Burning Legion affiliated portion of the Blackrock clan, and while quite a few of them bore the Burning Blade's banners, almost half as many, including Jubei'Thos, bore Blackrock banners. How likely is it that this tradition, while originating from the Burning Blade clan, had made it's way to the other orcish clans by the time the Horde rose? That way, it would not be odd for Mankrik to be a Blademaster, despite his Frostwolf origins.

If so, could it be that these Blademasters focussed on other elements than the Burning Blade's, just like the orcish shamans focussed on one element above the others depending on their clan? Could the Lightning's Blade Blademaster's blades have been imbued with electricity?

Last edited by Nazja; 03-20-2018 at 12:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 AM
Pepe Stormstout Pepe Stormstout is offline

Chimaera
Pepe Stormstout's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 294

Default

Regarding Mankrik, it's possible that he hailed from different clans in the MU and AU, with MU Mankrik being a Burning Blade and AU Mankrik being a Frostwolf.

In the MU, Tharbek was a member of the Blackrock clan, but the AU's Commander Tharbek is stated to be a Warsong. Of course, it's possible that they aren't actually meant to be the same character and just happen to have the same name, but it does suggest the MU and AU versions of a character can be from different clans. In my opinion, a detail like that would be on the same "blade of grass" level as AU Golka never having a son or Rulkan still being alive years after the point where she died in the MU.

Also:

Quote:
in this case via meditation (under a waterfall!)
Is this something that's seen in-game, or did you just make it up as an example? I don't remember seeing any waterfall meditation when questing around Hallvalor.
__________________


Avatar by Baldi Konijn.
Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 03-21-2018, 04:58 AM
Melorandor Melorandor is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Melorandor's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 635
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
I see a lot of Germanic parallels in the orcs. Axes, wolves, berserkers, great migrations, totalitarian dictatorships, guttural languages, etc...
I get Germanic and Turkic vibes from Warcraft Orcs. In WoD, Germanic -- Grommash = Alaric bringing the final blows to the Roman Empire (Gorians)
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-21-2018, 10:26 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Is this something that's seen in-game, or did you just make it up as an example? I don't remember seeing any waterfall meditation when questing around Hallvalor.
Just a joke-sample. It is a common method, and they live in a region were waterfalls are found aplenty.

@Regarding real world cultures that served as inspiration for Warcraft's orcs:
Don't forget Africa.

(And no, it has nothing to do with their pigmentation.)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-08-2018, 02:24 PM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Arch-Druid
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,459

Default

I’m planning on making at least one (maybe more) pairs of Orcish characters for BfA. One Green Orc and his Alternate Timeway counterpart. I’m going for different classes within the pairing, but somewhat related one. So far I’ve got:

Warlock/Priest (in Shadowmoon Transmog)
Death Knight/Warrior (Blackrock skin and Transmog)
Monk/Warrior (either one for each, trying for a member of the burning blade)
Rogue/Monk (I’m torn between getting the scar patterns and transmogging the
Bladefist for Shattered Hand, or transmogging an eyepatch for Bleeding Hollow).

I’m utterly opposed to having two orcs with the same class on a server, so some of these are mutually exclusive. I’m still having trouble making up my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:38 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,654
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
I’m planning on making at least one (maybe more) pairs of Orcish characters for BfA. One Green Orc and his Alternate Timeway counterpart. I’m going for different classes within the pairing, but somewhat related one. So far I’ve got:

Warlock/Priest (in Shadowmoon Transmog)
Death Knight/Warrior (Blackrock skin and Transmog)
Monk/Warrior (either one for each, trying for a member of the burning blade)
Rogue/Monk (I’m torn between getting the scar patterns and transmogging the
Bladefist for Shattered Hand, or transmogging an eyepatch for Bleeding Hollow).

I’m utterly opposed to having two orcs with the same class on a server, so some of these are mutually exclusive. I’m still having trouble making up my mind.
Is this for rp or appearances? Having an actual blade fist or burning blade banner is hard. I'd lean towards the first two options.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Is this for rp or appearances? Having an actual blade fist or burning blade banner is hard. I'd lean towards the first two options.
Well, there's that one toy that can be used to get not only a Burning Blade banner but also a blade.

Though I suppose that, unlike a Shattered Hand's shattered hand, the Blademaster's banner is mostly optional. I don't think all Blademasters in the game use them.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,654
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Well, there's that one toy that can be used to get not only a Burning Blade banner but also a blade.

Though I suppose that, unlike a Shattered Hand's shattered hand, the Blademaster's banner is mostly optional. I don't think all Blademasters in the game use them.
Does he want to use a toy every time he wishes to look like a blade master? It depends on how far he wants to take the look.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-09-2018, 11:58 AM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Arch-Druid
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,459

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Is this for rp or appearances? Having an actual blade fist or burning blade banner is hard. I'd lean towards the first two options.
Either or. Personal fantasy however I can get it. I was thinking the Bladefist Kargath drops. http://www.wowhead.com/item=113591/t...defist&bonus=0. The toy’s about as close as I can get for Burning blade, so that is a point against that plan, but not a decisive one (decisiveness isn’t my forte).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Does he want to use a toy every time he wishes to look like a blade master? It depends on how far he wants to take the look.
I could see the banner being something my Blademaster would only break out for special occasions. Maybe.

I’ve also realized that I might be able to abide two orcs of the same class if one is Maghar and the other is a Greenskin. It’s not my ideal, but it’s acceptable.

If I’m lucky, Blizz will release more Transmog for Mag’ar orcs, like metal eyepatches for Bleeding Hollow, or chespieces that consist of harnesses for Blademaster flags.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 04-09-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Melorandor Melorandor is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Melorandor's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 635
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Default

Quite simple. The Bunker from WoD garrisons should have offered more Orc clan transmogs than just four. Also, Draenic ones as well.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,727

Default

Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Menel'dirion Menel'dirion is offline

Arch-Druid
Menel'dirion's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)
Posts: 2,459

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
That looks pretty good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appreciation, zug zug

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.