Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Undead Icon (War3)

Trag Highmountain? He hasn't been around in a long while.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Trag Highmountain? He hasn't been around in a long while.
Given his complete lack of rampage in Icecrown Citadel (where they could have EASILY used him, even as one of the throwaway NPCs) i fear for his unlife. Until he returns (Follower. Follower! FOLLOWER! FOLLOWER!) i guess he probably died offscreen in the first charge.

Damn you, Arthas! *shakes fist*
Old 03-05-2015, 09:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Thinking of leveling a tauren but can't decide on a class. It'll either be Warrior, Paladin, Monk, or Shaman.

Hard to really get invested in though since only Monk gets a really good XP buff that gets to max level at lightning speed.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:30 PM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

I love the idea of Tauren Paladins (Sunwalkers) to much of the dismay of most people. More so than Night Elven mages.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
If your tauren friend hands you a glass of milk, would you drink it?
While maintaining forceful eye contact, yes.

I'm not too huge a fan of Magatha, but I could definitely see her being used if Blizzard ever wanted to revisit, say, Razorfen Kraul and the Grimtotem/Scourge plot hook from way back when.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
I love the idea of Tauren Paladins (Sunwalkers) to much of the dismay of most people. More so than Night Elven mages.
I'd like them if

A: They actually had any differences from Paladins in behavior or creed

B: They actually expanded upon lore to work with shaman and not continue shamanism's narrative descent to 'baby's first magic' status.

C: Their mounts weren't god ugly

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
C: Their mounts weren't god ugly
You are so wrong it pains me.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:08 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

I thought the mount was aesthetically fitting for taurens.

Some differentiation to paladins would be awesome. Even just adding some flavor text or changing some spell names around is better than nothing.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:42 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroombie View Post
You are so wrong it pains me.
The thing's goddang purple and orange.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-06-2015, 12:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
The thing's goddang purple and orange.
The thing's a damn swagwagon. You see someone rocking that warpaint monstrosity, you get the fuck outta their way. It has wardrums, for when you need only the sickest of beats. It is art.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:17 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
The thing's a damn swagwagon. You see someone rocking that warpaint monstrosity, you get the fuck outta their way. It has wardrums, for when you need only the sickest of beats. It is art.
Bro, that was beautiful, as is the mount.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:19 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

So we can have "___ Appreciation" threads? Dang, gotta get that Jungle Troll thread going, then... Oh wait, I already did. : )

That being said, I'm ambivalent about Tauren. They are kinda cool, and I can appreciate a real-life tie-in to the Native Americans that make them stylistic.

I have a particular appreciation for them after archiving the Ominous Horizons mod; the Tauren were the custom faction that they had most fleshed out & created, so I've done no small amount of study into their culture & ideals due to that.

Cool peeps.

Quote:
You are art. Make those words dance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Bro, that was beautiful, as is the mount.
Sis, you are beautiful, as is your mount.

Wait, what?
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-12-2015, 01:27 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Horde Flag

Thunder Bluff is the only loyal Horde city. If King Varian did what Wrathion expected him to do by dissolving the Horde into the Alliance after Orgrimmar, the tauren of Mulgore would have fought to the last bull.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-12-2015 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: moo
Old 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM

Problemsolver

Been maining a tauren since I started playing. Tauren are badass. They should make friends with the dwarves and gnomes and start their own faction. The trolls can come too.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
I agree.

Regarding the earlier comment about firearms, the tauren obviously know how to make them. In fact, they'd probably do a pretty good job. However, they don't seem to have the population they need to set up a manufacturing base (and they probably don't really want to).

This puts them in a potentially vulnerable position. As they have neither the inclination nor resources to really modernize, they might find themselves increasingly marginalized. On the other hand, they could make themselves useful in other ways—shamanism and elite soldiers come to mind.

In a certain sense, the tauren could be to the Horde what the cossacks were to the Russian Empire (an admittedly flawed analogy, but you get the idea).

EDIT: I'm also curious as to how the tauren really feel about the taunka. Do they get along? Sometimes, small differences end up causing the biggest rifts.

Likewise, it'd be interesting to see a more savage side to the tauren. I can imagine them advocating extermination of the centaurs and quilboars (if this were to be the case, one wonders if Sylvanas doesn't have a few lesser apothecaries working on just this goal, as a sort of half-hearted thank you to the tauren).

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 03-12-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 03-12-2015, 02:52 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
In a certain sense, the tauren could be to the Horde what the cossacks were to the Russian Empire (an admittedly flawed analogy, but you get the idea).
That analogy would make more sense if I knew who the Cossacks were & how they related to the Russian Empire, historically.

BE MAH WIKIPEDIA.

Also Trolls.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Quote:
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

Old 03-12-2015, 03:07 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ogre

Quote:
Likewise, it'd be interesting to see a more savage side to the tauren. I can imagine them advocating extermination of the centaurs and quilboars (if this were to be the case, one wonders if Sylvanas doesn't have a few lesser apothecaries working on just this goal, as a sort of half-hearted thank you to the tauren).
Centaurs and quilboars are a bit different though. Centaur actively go to war against the tauren but the quilboar are just violent and stupid, but they have to live somewhere.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
...but the quilboar are just violent and stupid, but they have to live somewhere.
...Arguable. : )
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Quote:
I like this guy.

Old 03-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Human Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
...Arguable. : )
Just build one of those fancy tauren walls around the borders of Razorfen and keep the roads through the South Barrens protected, there's no need for cruelty against the boar men.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quilboar use the same textures tauren use. They mus be allowed to live!
Old 03-12-2015, 03:29 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Quilboar use the same textures tauren use. They mus be allowed to live!
They're already potential allies! Look at their anti-centaur paintings
Old 03-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Thunder Bluff is the only loyal Horde city. If King Varian did what Wrathion expected him to do by dissolving the Horde into the Alliance after Orgrimmar, the tauren of Mulgore would have fought to the last bull.
Baine would have probably declared that the Alliance is justified and surrender before banishing those who don't agree

The SoL Bunch:

Warcraft 3 Resource Discussion: (The Hive Workshop, Warcraft 3 Campaigns)
MOBA Overload!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:42 PM

Site Staff - Admin

PvP Symbol - Horde

This is my favorite tauren-related thing ever. Its from The Shattering just after Cairne was murdered and a Grimtotem is trying to buy weapons from Ratchet to assault Thunder Bluff:

There was a cool marine breeze circulating through the room at the top of Jazzik's General Goods. The tauren who paced there nervously, his black coat and white markings clearly identifying him as a Grimtotem, was glad of it, although the openness bothered him. Still, this was where had been told to come.

"Heya, you made it, good," came a voice behind him. The tauren turned and nodded as Gazlowe, the goblin leader of Ratchet, climbed the stairs and gave him a wave. "Don't worry. This is my town. Long as you're here, you're safe. I understand your boss has a proposition for me."
The Grimtotem nodded. "Indeed."

Gazlowe indicated a table and two chairs. The tauren sat down, carefully at first, then a little more confidently as he realized the chair would support his much greater weight.

"We need several items."

Gazlowe fished out a pipe from his jacket pocket and a small pouch of herbs. He filled it as they spoke. "I can get you most anything, but not for free. Nothing personal, just business, you know?"

The tauren nodded. "I am prepared to pay for your services. Here is our list." He shoved a small, rolled-up parchment across the table at the goblin. Gazlowe wasn't about to be rushed, though, and finished tamping down the herbs and lighting the pipe before he reached out a green hand and accepted the list. His eyes widened.

"How many bombs?"

"You can read, friend goblin."

"I thought there was an extra zero. Or maybe two." His mouth curled around the stem of the pipe. "My, my. Looks like I might be able to buy myself an additional vessel. Maybe an additional town." His eyes flitted to the Grimtotem's. "You're sure you can pay?"

For answer, the tauren untied a sack from his belt. It was larger than his mammoth fist and made a pleasant clinking sound as it landed on the table. "Count it all, if you like. I was told you charged a fair rate."

"Even a fair rate would be a small fortune," Gazlowe said. He opened the pouch. The afternoon sunlight caught the glint of the gold. "Holy smoke."

"Can you get me all the items on the list?"

Gazlowe scratched his head, clearly torn between an honest response and the one he wanted to give. "Maybe," he said after a moment. He took a pull on his pipe and let the smoke trickle out of his large, hooked nose. "Maybe."

"Within a few days."

Gazlowe coughed, smoking coming from his mouth in short billows. "What?"
The Grimtotem pulled out a second pouch, not as large as the first, but still quite respectable. "My ... boss understands that one needs to pay extra for rush jobs."

The goblin whistled softly. "Your boss is smart," he said. He eyed the list again and sighed. "It's going to be tough, but-yeah. Yeah I can get all this for you." He hesitated. The Grimtotem sat patiently. A private war was clearly going on inside the goblin's head.

With a sigh that was low and pained, Gazlowe pulled out a fistful of coins from the second pouch, then shoved the rest back at the tauren. The Grimtotem looked up at him, confused. A goblin, not taking money freely offered?

"Listen," Gazlowe said. "Don't spread this around, but ... I, uh ... support what you are trying to do."

The tauren blinked. "I ... am glad."

Gazlowe nodded, then rose. "I'll have them for you in four days. No sooner."

"That is acceptable." The tauren rose, too, and turned to leave.

"Hey, Grandpa?"

The Grimtotem turned.

"Tell Baine I always liked his dad."

Stormsong Grimtotem smiled softly. "I will."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
Baine would have probably declared that the Alliance is justified and surrender before banishing those who don't agree
Not if the Alliance was invading his home and killing his people. The last time people tried to do that he chased them out of Mulgore, Baine's a more proactive chieftain than Cairne was because he always tolerated the Grimtotems. And Baine also had those ramparts built along the west of the Barrens so he's no pacifist.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-12-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Old 03-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

The quilboars didn't persecute the tauren as much as the centaurs did, but they might be considered enemies of the tauren people. I think it'd be an interesting counterbalance to the tauren if they were shown as being absolutely ruthless to dangerous outsiders—this would reflect their very tight-knit culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
That analogy would make more sense if I knew who the Cossacks were & how they related to the Russian Empire, historically.

BE MAH WIKIPEDIA.

Also Trolls.
Yikes, sorry about the troll thread. I'll get to it—things have been hectic on my end, and I want to give the response the attention it deserves.

Kir the Wizard knows a lot more about the Cossacks than do I, so if he ever starts posting here again, you should ask him. The simple version is that the Cossacks were a nomadic Slavic people that eventually became an elite military caste within the Russian Empire. They continued to be culturally and politically distinct from the Russians. As nomads, they served as cavalry.

The Cossacks sided with the Whites during the Russian Civil War, and lost much of their power once the Reds won. Many Cossacks still live in Russia, however.

You might also want to look up the paintings of Ilya Repin. One of the finest painters in human history, he often featured Cossacks in his work. While he might have romanticized them somewhat, Repin did live contemporaneously with the Cossacks of the 19th century.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 03-12-2015, 05:08 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
The quilboars didn't persecute the tauren as much as the centaurs did, but they might be considered enemies of the tauren people. I think it'd be an interesting counterbalance to the tauren if they were shown as being absolutely ruthless to dangerous outsiders—this would reflect their very tight-knit culture.
I'd say that the centaurs are to the tauren what orcs are to humans. And the quillboar are more like the murlocs or gnolls; a minor nuisance that occassionally raids villages and settlements, but deal very little actual damage to the tribes in the long run.

Tags
moo, quilboar cruelty, steak