Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-12-2015, 05:09 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
I'm also curious as to how the tauren really feel about the taunka. Do they get along? Sometimes, small differences end up causing the biggest rifts.
Yeah, it's a shame. I'd like to find out too. A taunka shaman made an appearance in that underwater zone in Cata once and that's about it. There was one tribe that joined the Horde in WotLK though. I'd like to see more of the yaungol too.
Quote:
Likewise, it'd be interesting to see a more savage side to the tauren. I can imagine them advocating extermination of the centaurs and quilboars (if this were to be the case, one wonders if Sylvanas doesn't have a few lesser apothecaries working on just this goal, as a sort of half-hearted thank you to the tauren).
Not sure if this was in WC3 or vanilla WoW, but taurens were described as being able to "retaliate with swift brutality." That sounded so badass. Their spells in WC3 really added to the image of strength. Pulverize makes me think somebody getting every inch of their body bashed in. Don't forget shock wave. You know what else creates shock waves? Bombs, that's what. And warstomp? These guys can stomp so hard that people around them get stunned.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:10 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I'd say that the centaurs are to the tauren what orcs are to humans.
A recently emerged threat that was engaged in a series of short but devastating wars before they settled on another continent from where they maintained very unstable political relationships, resulting in another short but devastating war?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
A recently emerged threat that was engaged in a series of short but devastating wars before they settled on another continent from where they maintained very unstable political relationships, resulting in another short but devastating war?
I was thinking more in the terms of an aggressor that has the potential to raze their civilization to the ground if given the chance.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:24 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Yikes, sorry about the troll thread. I'll get to it—things have been hectic on my end, and I want to give the response the attention it deserves.
Lawl, just razzing (and reminding) you, man. Take your time. : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle
Kir the Wizard knows a lot more about the Cossacks than do I, so if he ever starts posting here again, you should ask him. The simple version is that the Cossacks were a nomadic Slavic people that eventually became an elite military caste within the Russian Empire. They continued to be culturally and politically distinct from the Russians. As nomads, they served as cavalry.

The Cossacks sided with the Whites during the Russian Civil War, and lost much of their power once the Reds won. Many Cossacks still live in Russia, however.

You might also want to look up the paintings of Ilya Repin. One of the finest painters in human history, he often featured Cossacks in his work. While he might have romanticized them somewhat, Repin did live contemporaneously with the Cossacks of the 19th century.

Ah, very cool.

There is no way that is a painting. That is simply too good.
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumvirate View Post
Ah, very cool.

Repin was incredible. The painting in question is the Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks. Based on a possibly apocryphal event, it takes place after the Zaporozhians defeated the Ottoman Turks in a battle. Sultan Mehmet IV sent a letter to the cossacks, demanding their servitude, the cossacks sent a very insulting letter back.

Sultan Mehmed IV to the Zaporozhian Cossacks:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.

--Turkish Sultan Mehmed IV

Followed by:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- Koshovyi Otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.

Flame wars could get pretty intense back in those days. The painting seems to assume that the cossacks of that era were illiterate (which I suspect is true), so that's why there's the nebbishy guy writing the letter in the middle of the painting.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 03-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Lawl, just razzing (and reminding) you, man. Take your time. : )

Ah, very cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_o...zhian_Cossacks

Quote:
The Cossacks of the Zaporozhian Host (from 'beyond the rapids', Ukrainian: za porohamy), inhabiting the lands around the lower Dnieper River in Ukraine, had defeated Ottoman Turkish forces in battle. However, Mehmed demanded that the Cossacks submit to Turkish rule. The Cossacks, led by Ivan Sirko, replied in an uncharacteristic manner: they wrote a letter, replete with insults and profanities. The painting exhibits the Cossacks' pleasure at striving to come up with ever more base vulgarities. During Repin's time, the Cossacks enjoyed great popular sympathy. Repin also admired them: "All that Gogol wrote about them is true! A holy people! No one in the world held so deeply freedom, equality, and fraternity."[1]
Sultan Mehmed IV to the Zaporozhian Cossacks:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.

--Turkish Sultan Mehmed IV

The Cossacks' reply came as a stream of invective and vulgar rhymes, parodying the Sultan's titles:

Version 1:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- Koshovyi Otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:

Based on a possibly apocryphal event, it takes place after the Zaporozhians defeated the Ottoman Turks in a battle. Sultan Mehmet IV sent a letter to the cossacks, demanding their servitude, the cossacks sent a very insulting letter back.
Flame wars could get pretty intense back in those days. The painting seems to assume that the cossacks of that era were illiterate (which I suspect is true), so that's why there's the nebbishy guy writing the letter in the middle of the painting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Man, that is some serious stuff. Some of those words sounded so modern... It was almost like I was reading something on 4chan. xD
...Triumvirate has it right.
Quote:
Triumvirate; you weird.
Welcome to the club. Have a drink on the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I like this guy.
If you're interested in creating custom factions & heroes in Warcraft 3, I mod that over at The Hive Workshop (Also at Wc3C.net).

My primary Project Thread:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads...ehere_.303712/
Old 03-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ogre

40% of the time I still call the city Tauren Bluff.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Man, that is some serious stuff. Some of those words sounded so modern... It was almost like I was reading something on 4chan. xD
More things change, more they stay the same.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:48 PM

Arch-Druid

Can we rename this thread Bovine University? So we can include taunkas and yaungols.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
Can we rename this thread Bovine University? So we can include taunkas and yaungols.
Done but the bovine-thing might be offensive to any tauren reading it
Old 03-17-2015, 07:07 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Are... Are you telling him to check his hominid privilege?
Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
Are... Are you telling him to check his hominid privilege?
I don't moo what you're talking about.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
They can take up their beef with me.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 03-17-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
They can take up their beef with me.
Don't have a cow, man.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:31 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

you're minotaur a shit

yaungol best minotaur and the most kawaii
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 AM

Sha of Disappointment

Quote:
I've been called worse. Most of it on this board.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Don't be silly, Tauren can't read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:16 AM

Banished

they used to be on par with dwarves for "shittiest WC races" but dwarves look pretty-ish now so tauren are the worst now
Old 03-18-2015, 07:29 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Lumber (War3)

So tauren origins: was Brann right in thinking there could have been a bull Ancient in the ancient years?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Elune

Probably not. Ancients popped up after the titans reshaped the planet, while the tauren predate that event.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

But did ancient tauren look like bulls? What if they changed, just like their yak and bison brethren?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:21 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
But did ancient tauren look like bulls? What if they changed, just like their yak and bison brethren?
I think you can refer to a male bovine of any species as a 'bull', at least in colloquial conversation.

Speaking of the taunka, I'm still surprised that they didn't show up as enemies during the Siege of Orgrimmar. I mean, we've got a species that has a long tradition of enslaving the elements, are pretty okay with killing random alliance peepz, and are rather fond of Garrosh. Seems like a perfect fit for Garrosh' True Horde.

Last edited by ijffdrie; 03-18-2015 at 08:29 AM..
Old 03-18-2015, 09:18 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
So tauren origins: was Brann right in thinking there could have been a bull Ancient in the ancient years?
When I was at CDev I spoke to the guys who wrote that article and IIRC they said they explicitly said a "bull" ancient made them because they were tired of hearing people call tauren "cows".

I pointed out that because a bull is explicitly a male animal that pretty much means the Earthmother had nothing to do with their creation and got a lot of sweaty, blank stares.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
When I was at CDev I spoke to the guys who wrote that article and IIRC they said they explicitly said a "bull" ancient made them because they were tired of hearing people call tauren "cows".

I pointed out that because a bull is explicitly a male animal that pretty much means the Earthmother had nothing to do with their creation and got a lot of sweaty, blank stares.
Yeah! Fight the power.

Maybe they could have just compromised with a minotaur-ancient. That could be male or female.

Tags
moo, quilboar cruelty, steak