Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-02-2018, 10:45 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
True, but it's mostly that the yaungol are an animal race and there's already a Wild God that fits them perfectly. Since most, if not all, other Azerothian animal races that we know the origins of are related to Wild Gods, it would — in my opinion — be weird to have an animal race that didn't fit that same pattern.

We also don't know if the tauren creation myth or their worship of the Earth Mother is something that is shared with their yaungol parent race. Since there's no evidence that the yaungol believe in the same creation myth as the tauren, it might have been something that the tauren came up with after splitting off from the yaungol, and so there's no guarantee that it accurately reflects their actual origins.

Meanwhile, as far as I know the only Azerothian race confirmed to be the fleshified descendants of elementals are proto-dragons, who don't have much in common with any of the humanoid animal races. Admittedly, though, this last point doesn't necessarily mean much.
Well, the point is more variety, them not fitting the same pattern is the goal. It's also a good way for them to maintain the status of predating titans, though I am not sure if that's still a thing. Niuzao could follow the same pattern too and be a fleshified elemental.

I am also well aware that there is no guarantee the tauren creation myth is true. The point is to add something that's half true to the world, and them being fleshified elementals would fit it. Also, that creation myth could be something the yaungol lost under mogu rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Let's also consider that, with Azeroth being a titan, that's likely the Earthmother worshiped by the tauren. That means their goddess is explicitly not an elemental, but if anything, she's an arcane being.
I know that's also very likely.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 03-02-2018 at 10:47 PM..
Old 03-03-2018, 07:42 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Variety for the sake of variety is kinda pointless, and them being from an ancient makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 AM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
Well, the point is more variety, them not fitting the same pattern is the goal. It's also a good way for them to maintain the status of predating titans, though I am not sure if that's still a thing. Niuzao could follow the same pattern too and be a fleshified elemental.
Nothing on Azeroth except elementals, Old Gods, and spawn of Old Gods (so aqir and n'raqi) really predate the titans anymore, per Chronicle Volume 1. Even fleshified elementals only emerged around the time of the ordering of Azeroth. Niuzao being an elemental would also contradict Chronicle since the book lists him alongside other Wild Gods that emerged from Freya's enclaves (on page 40 of the physical copy, to be specific).

Overall, I personally just don't think it's worth opting for more variety in race origins if it means foregoing what makes sense based on other races' origins. That's not to say I'm against the idea of having other races with elemental origins or that having races that aren't descended from Wild Gods, titan-forged, Old Gods, or trolls would be uninteresting, but in the tauren's case, "Wild God descendants" is just what makes the most sense to me, and revealing that they're actually elemental descendants would feel a bit shoved-in and forced. In my opinion, anyway.

Previous avatars: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Last edited by Pepe Stormstout; 03-03-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Old 03-06-2018, 07:42 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Variety for the sake of variety is kinda pointless, and them being from an ancient makes sense.
You can say the same with streamlining for the sake of streamlining, which is what has been happening with WoW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Stormstout View Post
Nothing on Azeroth except elementals, Old Gods, and spawn of Old Gods (so aqir and n'raqi) really predate the titans anymore, per Chronicle Volume 1. Even fleshified elementals only emerged around the time of the ordering of Azeroth. Niuzao being an elemental would also contradict Chronicle since the book lists him alongside other Wild Gods that emerged from Freya's enclaves (on page 40 of the physical copy, to be specific).

Overall, I personally just don't think it's worth opting for more variety in race origins if it means foregoing what makes sense based on other races' origins. That's not to say I'm against the idea of having other races with elemental origins or that having races that aren't descended from Wild Gods, titan-forged, Old Gods, or trolls would be uninteresting, but in the tauren's case, "Wild God descendants" is just what makes the most sense to me, and revealing that they're actually elemental descendants would feel a bit shoved-in and forced. In my opinion, anyway.
I know. Though from what I hear some new lore regarding trolls blurs that a little.

Taurens being descended from Niuzao makes sense, but that's not really the point of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Let's also consider that, with Azeroth being a titan, that's likely the Earthmother worshiped by the tauren. That means their goddess is explicitly not an elemental, but if anything, she's an arcane being.
That has crossed my mind too. I do think the elemental connection is more interesting compared to another titan connection.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 03-06-2018 at 07:48 AM..
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 PM

Arch-Druid

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...de/description

Found this little gem on kick starter. It's not WoW related but I found some of its design elements suitable to be carried over to the tauren. Of course, this would exclude some armor aesthetics.

This one for example is reminiscent of the totem wielding tauren of WC3.

I think their female minotaur also looks more like it's from the same species.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 07-09-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Tags
moo, quilboar cruelty, steak