Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > Hearthstone / Heroes of the Storm Discussion

Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Do they have milling mechanics in Hearthstone yet? Like hand/deck destruction.
I wasn't afraid of Rogue mills, until this:

Old 05-01-2015, 08:54 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Do they have milling mechanics in Hearthstone yet? Like hand/deck destruction.
No on hand destruction, yes on deck destruction. There is no mechanic that removes cards from an opponent's hand, and the developers have expressed that they have no intention of ever introducing that mechanic into the game. However, whenever a card attempts to enter their hand when they are already at the 10 card limit, it is discarded instead, so you can mill a person's deck by repeatedly forcing them to overdraw. As Noitora pointed out, Rogue and Druid are the best equipped to actually do this. Rogue in particular is good for it, since it has the advantages of things like a lot of cheap spells to avoid overdrawing itself, Gang Up to increase its deck size and avoid fatigue, and Sap and Vanish to return cards to the opponent's hand (which, if you fill the opponent's hand up first, turn into a 2 mana Assassinate and a 6 mana mass Assassinate, respectively).

And yeah, the mill decks are horrible and annoying to play against. At least Face Hunter gives you the benefit of making it a short match. Losing to a mill deck is death by ten thousand paper cuts.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Odok#1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterius View Post
No on hand destruction, yes on deck destruction. There is no mechanic that removes cards from an opponent's hand, and the developers have expressed that they have no intention of ever introducing that mechanic into the game. However, whenever a card attempts to enter their hand when they are already at the 10 card limit, it is discarded instead, so you can mill a person's deck by repeatedly forcing them to overdraw. As Noitora pointed out, Rogue and Druid are the best equipped to actually do this. Rogue in particular is good for it, since it has the advantages of things like a lot of cheap spells to avoid overdrawing itself, Gang Up to increase its deck size and avoid fatigue, and Sap and Vanish to return cards to the opponent's hand (which, if you fill the opponent's hand up first, turn into a 2 mana Assassinate and a 6 mana mass Assassinate, respectively).

And yeah, the mill decks are horrible and annoying to play against. At least Face Hunter gives you the benefit of making it a short match. Losing to a mill deck is death by ten thousand paper cuts.
Thankfully mill flubs more often than not, so it's not a hard deck to win against and is rarely seen below rank 15 in the ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtide View Post
For playing a fantasy game, some of you have a really withered imagination.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Lore-Themed Deck: Battle of Grim Batol / Day of the Dragon
Class: Paladin (and why wouldn't Uther be at this battle?)

x1 Archmage (Rhonin Redhair)
x1 Alexstrasza
x1 Malygnos
x1 Nozdormu
x1 Ysera
x1 Dragon Consort (Korialstrasz)
x1 Dragon Consort (Tyranastrasz)

Complete with any paladin weapons/spells plus any minions that fit old Alliance thematics (humans, highblood elves, gnomes, dwarves). GvG mech cards also fit the flavor of a Khaz Modan campaign, so there you go for cheap support.

There are, as of yet, no suitable cards for an Elven Ranger or a Wildhammer Dwarf. Sorry to Vereesa and Falstad.
Maybe Sylvanas to represent her sister or one of the nelf archer minions? But yeah, that's really stretching it. And I am a bit shocked we don't have a single Wildhammer in, didn't think of that until you mentioned it.

Also are mill decks really that common for you guys? I mean especially at higher ranks as Odok said. I fuck about with my gimmick decks at those ranges all the time (19-15) and in my 4500 or so games I have only faced mill once, early in the month when a reset happened.

I guess it must be an NA thing.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Sentinel Queen

They're not very common, but games against them tend to be pretty unpleasant, because the whole strategy of the deck is to drag out the game as long as possible and slowly bleed the opponent dry. It basically has a reputation of being about as fun to play against as Face Hunter, but without the benefit that Face Hunter games, win or lose, tend to be over quickly.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:06 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Maybe Sylvanas to represent her sister or one of the nelf archer minions? But yeah, that's really stretching it. And I am a bit shocked we don't have a single Wildhammer in, didn't think of that until you mentioned it.
If you use Sylvanas to represent Vereesa, you may as well use Emperor Thaurissan to represent Falstad---try to get some of those dragon costs down.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
If you use Sylvanas to represent Vereesa, you may as well use Emperor Thaurissan to represent Falstad---try to get some of those dragon costs down.
It all depends, if you are making these decks solely for your enjoyment then you can stick in such approximations and not give a f. But if part of the charm for you is showing off your intent and inventiveness to the other guy then it's a no-go.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:52 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
It all depends, if you are making these decks solely for your enjoyment then you can stick in such approximations and not give a f. But if part of the charm for you is showing off your intent and inventiveness to the other guy then it's a no-go.
This is why I wish there were an option to make your deck names visible. You'd turn it off if it's a surprise, but on if you're showing off a name or theme.

Cursing preteens ruin all our fun.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 AM

Elune

Though I'd share more of my fun decks. This is my take on giants paladin:

Name:  GinormicaVer2.png
Views: 108
Size:  162.8 KB

This is actually the "optimized" version I created so I can actually survive a bit against aggro on the ladder, this is the original super fun version:

Name:  GinormicaVer1.png
Views: 110
Size:  176.0 KB

Both versions have those awesome "oh I hope it's a Molten Giant" moments with Holy Wrath (or any 8+ card really), 2xHoly Wrath finishes are about as crazy as you'd expect. The original also has Recombobulator fun, where I use it to heal up giants, make used up Guardians of Kings into something more useful, transform Mountian Giants into Clockwork Giants, or Sea Giants into Deathwing.

If you can make it or something similar I heartily suggest it.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Elune

Name:  Forever More.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  175.1 KB

Another one of my zany creations, the concept is infinite value and the vast majority of cards either keep on giving or have the potential to.

This version is mostly for fun (but oh how much fun) because this deck is a tempo black hole. But modified with more competitive cards (mostly early and mid game) it could be quite good on the slow, Reno ladder we have now.

Last edited by C9H20; 03-04-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 PM

World Builder

Good lord you have a lot of legendaries, that come from Arena or just saving up dust or good RNG with packs or what?

EDIT:
Something I made, I'd like critique since I'm pretty bad atm.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder...209:2;35236:2;

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-16-2016, 09:18 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Good lord you have a lot of legendaries, that come from Arena or just saving up dust or good RNG with packs or what?
Hah, you have no idea. I've got like 70-100 legendaries if I had to guess. And mostly just being patient, doing my dailies every day, flipping quests to get higher value ones. I did play arena but not terribly much and I did buy some cards but again not many.
Mostly it is about playing for a long time and doing your dailies regularly, the cards will come.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:02 PM

Arch-Druid

Panda gimmicks ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
EDIT:
Something I made, I'd like critique since I'm pretty bad atm.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder...209:2;35236:2;
If you're playing an enrage deck, put battle rage in there for value.

I maybe like the new quest system, gets me to make decks that aren't required to win. That bolster though.

Tags
hearthstone