Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 03-27-2018, 06:08 PM
Cacofonix Cacofonix is offline

Hippogryph
Cacofonix's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 199

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Their atrocities do not matter to me. What matters to me is how their victories are balanced against their defeats in such a way that it makes the Forsaken player and the Alliance player feel a sense of enjoyment out of the plot. The Forsaken wins some and it loses some. The forsaken player can feel competent without being gods. That's not always communicated well to the Alliance player (for further reading, see Cata), but it's fairly balanced and I can appreciate that.
The point is the Forsaken hasn't gotten a comeuppance suiting their atrocities. And this is while being easily down there with the Scourge. Not even the Orcs are like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
As for your question about whether the Alliance has harmed the forsaken to the point that it impedes their ability to drop plague nukes - the sense of consistency and setup, as well as the lingering ability to maintain suspension of disbelief is shot so much to hell at this point that I no longer feel comfortable making predictions about relative strengths and abilities. You HAVE to look to the writers and their biases. There's little internal consistency because this bunch doesn't care for it. So to that question? No, Sylvanas can and will drop plague when the writers want her to, and that would be just as true if she was commanding a global empire or if she was limited to a scrappy band of mercenary teenagers and the Sloop John B.
And you wonder what I call Forsaken Mary Sues for?

There are two problems with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
First, you can't hold up both "status quo" in the context that the Forsaken retake the Undercity AND the homogenous continents model. They directly contradict each other.
I'm saying it won't last and/or there will siginificant drawbacks to the Alliance's conquest that they won't get to use their new rewards to finally get the better of the Horde.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Given that level of uncertainty, can I endorse a view that I know what Blizzard is going to do with the Undercity after its fall? No. I certainly can't also tell you that I agree that we can confirm that the Alliance is "trading" Ashenvale for some yet-unnamed Forsaken zone. (No, it isn't Tirisfal. We already traded Teldrassil for Tirisfal, and there's no evidence that the Alliance breaks out any further from there.)
Like I said, drawbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Just so we're on the same page of course. You know how much of a critic I am of this idea that, once you have established role choices, that an MMO developer should favor some choices over others. If they wanted to do that, they should have written a single player RPG with a set protagonist. WoW has never been that, and should never be.
Again, it's not about no darkness. It's about making the Forsaken work as a player faction that can't be wiped out.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:04 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,029

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
The point is the Forsaken hasn't gotten a comeuppance suiting their atrocities. And this is while being easily down there with the Scourge. Not even the Orcs are like them.
I feel this is the big point of contention. You seem to think they need to have a karmic payback... but is Warcraft a story where that is a thing? Now we can argue if Warcraft is a story where cosmic justice prevails or a more grey one where shit just happens but to me it seems quite clear Kyalin (and I) fall on the grey side and so we don't care if the Forsaken get their comeupance if the story is consistent and makes sense and hence the misunderstanding.

Note I am just pointing out what I think the major disagreement is, I don't want to go defending Blizzard's ability to write a believable story... mainly because I don't think they are capable of writing such a story.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,015

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
if the story is consistent and makes sense
It is inconsistent and makes no sense that the Alliance should not seek remunerations or revenge.

EDIT: The players also have a history of taking down the bad guys no matter what.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-31-2018, 12:33 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,029

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It is inconsistent and makes no sense that the Alliance should not seek remunerations or revenge.

EDIT: The players also have a history of taking down the bad guys no matter what.
As I've said I don't want to get bogged down in specifics or Blizz apologia... doubly so since I agree that the writing is shitty. As I said just pointing out the disconnect, some want an idealistic setting others want a more realistic one.

And while WoW is pretty black and white the older games did have villain protagonists galore and had them win big too.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-31-2018, 01:39 PM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,429

Default

It's not even that the Forsaken lack comeuppance for their behavior.

It's that their behavior has consistently failed to evoke a realistic response from their enemies or their allies. And that their activities fail to sync remotely with those of the Horde player, even if the player happens to be Forsaken as well. It creates the sense that the Horde would have welcomed Arthas with the Scourge and even Gul'dan with the Shadow Council into their ranks and let them both keep doing what they do as long as they claimed to be doing it "for the Horde."

It's just never really made sense for the player to help with the stuff they do in places like Silverpine and Hillsbrad, then suddenly transform into a noble and upright champion of Azeroth who's staunchly against such things on principle as soon as he/she sets foot outside of Forsaken territory, then reset back to gladly committing Scourge-tier atrocities whenever the occasional decaying psychopath from the Undercity shows up as a questgiver.

Some (definitely not all, but some) Horde players frantically defend them out of a sense that as a player of an undead character they are the Forsaken themselves, but frankly none of the Horde player characters are really them, undead included. Unless you PvP and do nothing else, the undead player's actions in-game just don't sync with the sentiments or behavior of their own race. Based on 99% of the Forsaken NPCs' interactions via quests and storylines, while the undead player is a hero of the Horde protecting its civilians and saving the day, the Forsaken as a race are largely complete monsters who'd just let such people die because they don't really give a shit about doing the right thing.

And the response from the rest of the Horde is to just blankly ignore it because the game mechanics prevent them from treating the Forsaken like they (and the Alliance) treat every other group in the game that behaves the way they do. Which will be worsened if post-BfA we see the Forsaken continuing that behavior in some plague-blighted stretch of Kalimdor and the rest of the Horde just shrugs and continues to ignore it. Because despite having what should be moderating presences like the Darkspears, tauren (plus Highmountain tauren now), blood elves (plus Nightborne now), druids and shamans (not counting Zandalari here because frankly even without Zul they're still a bunch of blood-sacrificing cannibals), the precedent has continued that said agencies don't actually do anything to temper the more damaging influences within the Horde, and they only really take action when things get completely out of control and nothing short of a civil war will ameliorate the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,076
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
It's not even that the Forsaken lack comeuppance for their behavior.

It's that their behavior has consistently failed to evoke a realistic response from their enemies or their allies. And that their activities fail to sync remotely with those of the Horde player, even if the player happens to be Forsaken as well. It creates the sense that the Horde would have welcomed Arthas with the Scourge and even Gul'dan with the Shadow Council into their ranks and let them both keep doing what they do as long as they claimed to be doing it "for the Horde."
Correct. They even did it with Gul'dan in the Second War.

The very same honorable guy who is praised by Thrall, even.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
It's just never really made sense for the player to help with the stuff they do in places like Silverpine and Hillsbrad, then suddenly transform into a noble and upright champion of Azeroth who's staunchly against such things on principle as soon as he/she sets foot outside of Forsaken territory, then reset back to gladly committing Scourge-tier atrocities whenever the occasional decaying psychopath from the Undercity shows up as a questgiver.
Theoretically you have the option to decline those quests. And that would even make sense, given that there is no single character who solved all the problems from Vanilla to Legion. Chronicle even leads you to conclude that when distributing success across dungeons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Some (definitely not all, but some) Horde players frantically defend them out of a sense that as a player of an undead character they are the Forsaken themselves, but frankly none of the Horde player characters are really them, undead included. Unless you PvP and do nothing else, the undead player's actions in-game just don't sync with the sentiments or behavior of their own race. Based on 99% of the Forsaken NPCs' interactions via quests and storylines, while the undead player is a hero of the Horde protecting its civilians and saving the day, the Forsaken as a race are largely complete monsters who'd just let such people die because they don't really give a shit about doing the right thing.
I thought questlines like the Agamand one were a faithful portrait of the Forsaken identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
And the response from the rest of the Horde is to just blankly ignore it because the game mechanics prevent them from treating the Forsaken like they (and the Alliance) treat every other group in the game that behaves the way they do.
Please don't mind the dreadlord
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-31-2018, 07:50 PM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Demon Hunter
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 464

Default

@Cacofonix: I didn't realize you had posted. Sorry for the delay in my replies.

Quote:
And you wonder what I call Forsaken Mary Sues for?
This being in regard to Sylvanas being able to drop plague regardless of whether she was commanding an empire or a rag tag group of mercenaries, two things are at issue.

First, despite this ability, she does lose some and is shown as having flaws. That's not consistent with being a mary sue.

Second, every character and country in the franchise right now has this problem - Sylvanas is in no way unique. Without putting too fine of a point on it, as far as Warcraft is concerned the suspension of disbelief is dead.


As to your point on the existence of drawbacks, I'm not really sure how that means that the Forsaken flatly never suffer reversals or get "comeuppance" for what they do. But I don't think this actually has all that much to do with Sylvanas as a character so much as it relates to the Alliance experience in general, namely, that the Alliance player is continually denied something that actually feels like a victory against the playable Horde.

But that discussion is beyond the scope of this topic. I'm happy to have it, but it doesn't relate to whether the Forsaken are "Mary Sues" or whether Sylvanas is a healthy character for the Horde and hence for the entire franchise to circle around.

@C9H20

Quote:
I feel this is the big point of contention. You seem to think they need to have a karmic payback... but is Warcraft a story where that is a thing? Now we can argue if Warcraft is a story where cosmic justice prevails or a more grey one where shit just happens but to me it seems quite clear Kyalin (and I) fall on the grey side and so we don't care if the Forsaken get their comeupance if the story is consistent and makes sense and hence the misunderstanding.

Note I am just pointing out what I think the major disagreement is, I don't want to go defending Blizzard's ability to write a believable story... mainly because I don't think they are capable of writing such a story.
Warcraft III and the initial iterations of World of Warcraft did get us closer to grey iterations of the world, especially once we moved away from the Burning Legion and started into Frozen Throne, Vanilla WoW, etc. I could gush about that, but Blizzard did it before, and the comparative numbers both between Warcraft 1/2 and 3 sales, and between Pre-Cata and Post-Wrath subscriptions can help to demonstrate what people prefer.

This partially gets into what ARM had said, but I think the overall issue with the Post-Wrath model was that the new generation of writers confused setting with story. The setting is critical in an MMO, but the model is really better suited for that setting containing a hundred small stories, and I do think we see Blizzard's best work, even to this day, when they have to talk about small conflicts and stories instead of these grand narratives that didn't need to be there.

You can see the boxes being checked. The "story" "needs" to be Star Wars. The bad guy needs to be threatening, the heroes need to be at their lowest point with the Empire about to win, then they need to pull together and triumph in the end.

Oh, but, they can't actually win, because the "bad guy" is actually a playable faction, and because it's an MMO, they still need motivation to play. You can't have realistic geopolitical reactions coming from say, a faction of druids reacting to half of their members' homes being invaded, clear cut, corrupted, and burnt down, because that would impair the "bad guy" faction's experience - and that's a legitimate concern as we're seeing play out in the wake of Sylvanas in Stormsong. So you can either disregard it and go whole hog, and you remove the bad guy's motivation to play. Or, you can make the ending unsatisfying for the good guy faction, and have neutral parties ignore the bad guy faction's villainy.

This is like trying to drive a cruise ship as though it were a powerboat. Sure, YOU think it's exciting and fun, but that's not of much consolation to the couple in suite 3a that just got crushed by a dresser against a wall during one of your power turns.

This isn't a problem with the faction war, per se. It's a problem with the faction war needing to be "the story", instead of "the setting".
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-31-2018, 11:19 PM
Cacofonix Cacofonix is offline

Hippogryph
Cacofonix's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 199

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
It is inconsistent and makes no sense that the Alliance should not seek remunerations or revenge.

EDIT: The players also have a history of taking down the bad guys no matter what.
Not even the Alliance. Tirion Foldring with his posse were right there in the East and surely could have (with Alliance support, maybe) countered the Forsaken. But instead they just sat there playing cards while the Forsaken went on the march. Hell, I wonder if it's a coincidence that Tirion was killed off in the same expansion that had Sylvanas rise to Warchief (that is, even the developers finally realized how odd it'd be for Tirion to do so little against Sylvanas so they killed him off to avoid confronting that question).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
And while WoW is pretty black and white the older games did have villain protagonists galore and had them win big too.
Let's review:

Orcs and Humans to Beyond the Dark Portal: The Old Horde conquers Stormwind in OaH but is beaten and ends up in internment camps with Gul'dan ending up demon feed while Doomhammer is captured in ToD. Ner'zhul's Horde ends up getting their planet blown up then Ner'zhul gets painfully turned into the Lich King in BtDP. All in all the Alliance comes out on top and in better shape than the Orcs with Allies.

Reign of Chaos to Frozen Throne: Arthas joins the Scourge and massacres his kingdom then proceeds to rampage around the East but this was done to set up the Burning Legion's return. The BL are beaten. Illidan and his posse try to kill the Lich King but they're villainous. Garithos gets killed by Varimathas but he was a villain. Arthas stops Illidan but at the time this was written he was supposed to have been not really Arthas anymore (see official statements that the Lich King post-TFT is a composite entity and not just Corrupted Arthas) so really only Ner'zhul wins here from the villains if anybody.

I see a lot of suitable comeuppances.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 03-31-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-01-2018, 03:50 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post

Warcraft III and the initial iterations of World of Warcraft did get us closer to grey iterations of the world, especially once we moved away from the Burning Legion and started into Frozen Throne, Vanilla WoW, etc. I could gush about that, but Blizzard did it before, and the comparative numbers both between Warcraft 1/2 and 3 sales, and between Pre-Cata and Post-Wrath subscriptions can help to demonstrate what people prefer.
Not to burst down your bubble there kiddo, but correlation does not imply causation, so unless you have a direct proof that the switch from a more grounded and amoral setting of Warcraft I/II to a more idealistic and heroic setting of Warcraft III was behind the increase of sales, this is nothing but a wild conjecture. Or are you trying to tell me that Diablo III's thrice as large sales compared to Diablo II happened due to the change of the atmosphere and thematics, even though this change has been until this day one of the largest points of criticism?
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 04-01-2018, 05:28 AM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Demon Hunter
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 464

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Not to burst down your bubble there kiddo, but correlation does not imply causation, so unless you have a direct proof that the switch from a more grounded and amoral setting of Warcraft I/II to a more idealistic and heroic setting of Warcraft III was behind the increase of sales, this is nothing but a wild conjecture. Or are you trying to tell me that Diablo III's thrice as large sales compared to Diablo II happened due to the change of the atmosphere and thematics, even though this change has been until this day one of the largest points of criticism?
"Can help to demonstrate" =/= "proves".

That said, it doesn't make sense to completely ignore a correlation either, especially when you lack the sort of expensive, resource intensive study that would be required to parse out the full suite of factors and their effects.

Edit: I also brought up the other variance in sales (the post wrath decline) for a reason. We are not talking about the increase observed between WC I/II and III in isolation, as your post seems to do.
__________________

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 04-01-2018 at 05:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:12 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
"Can help to demonstrate" =/= "proves"..
You can't use a conjecture that has not hard evidence supporting it to demonstrate anything really. Well, you can, but do not expect a positive reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
That said, it doesn't make sense to completely ignore a correlation either, especially when you lack the sort of expensive, resource intensive study that would be required to parse out the full suite of factors and their effects.
There's a world of difference between taking a look at a correlation and using it to form a conjecture that serves the very basis of an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Edit: I also brought up the other variance in sales (the post wrath decline) for a reason. We are not talking about the increase observed between WC I/II and III in isolation, as your post seems to do.
Hmm, except Cataclysm, despite being marketed as a switch towards less heroic stories focusing on geopolitics and fight for natural resources in a broken world, had far better box sales that Wrath of the Lich King. And even looking at this very forum, people were looking forward to these themes, the reason of their later criticism was the execution, a seeming inequality between the factions, and the hordes of shallow pop cultural references that rendered the whole thing a caricature of what it was marketed as.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Demon Hunter
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 464

Default

The first parts of your post just seem to be more objections to forming and presenting theories based on correlations in the absence of other information. I don't think they add anything that we haven't already discussed.

On your point regarding Cataclysm box sales however, I would be cautious about using box sales as your metric when subscription data is available. Subscription data tells us more about how the audience reacts to and continues to want to pay for content, and dampens the effects that marketing and brand equity would have on pure box sales.

(Edit: I can buy some of the reasons you put down for the subscription drop, but they don't explain the continued decline in through MoP, where a lot of those issues were... I wouldn't say corrected, but addressed.)

That's one of the reasons I don't like using Warcraft III by itself as an example. Substantial portions of those sales come from Warcraft II fans, and that's before we consider that if the game flopped, the sales numbers probably still would have been higher - not necessarily true for the next title if it flopped. But we also know that it didn't flop, and we know how successful that next title, which counts Warcraft III's direction heavily in it's foundation, turned out.

If you're looking for a counterexample, I'd sooner bring up WoD. That did see a spike in sales (and for a bit: subscriptions) explicitly catered to the Warcraft I and II crowd, and then declined after that marketing effect met the realities of a product that wasn't really given a fair chance.
__________________

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 04-01-2018 at 06:47 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04-01-2018, 06:51 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Correct. They even did it with Gul'dan in the Second War.

The very same honorable guy who is praised by Thrall, even.
You seem to forget that Ogrim would later regret his choices and put his faith in Thrall, expecting him to lead a "better" Horde that would not repeat the mistakes of its past.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:35 AM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,076
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
You seem to forget that Ogrim would later regret his choices and put his faith in Thrall, expecting him to lead a "better" Horde that would not repeat the mistakes of its past.
Only because his choices ended up biting him on the ass

"Thrall, listen. They can beat us. Be honorable rivals with them"
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 04-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Only because his choices ended up biting him on the ass

"Thrall, listen. They can beat us. Be honorable rivals with them"
What you say doesn't match what we've been told about his character and his motives. Even the latest lore source, Vol. 3, states that he wanted the orcs to return to their shamanistic roots.

Allowing Gul'dan, the Burning Blade cult or the Forsaken (after they've given up all pretences) to operate from within the Horde goes against what he and Thrall were hoping to achieve.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:35 AM
Arashi Arashi is offline

Eternal
Arashi's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,795

Default

Horde is fucking cancer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:18 PM
Cacofonix Cacofonix is offline

Hippogryph
Cacofonix's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 199

Default

So Chronicles 3 stealthily tried to whitewash Sylvanas:

http://www.wowhead.com/news=283096/l...nicle-volume-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retcon
In the short story "Edge of Night," Sylvanas enters into a pact with the Val'kyr because she is terrified of the hell she has found herself in death. Before throwing herself off the wall, she has a vision that the Forsaken would be exploited, but that doesn't stop her. In Chronicle, her motivations for accepting the help of the Val'kyr also involve protecting the Forsaken.

Spectral beings known as the Val'kyr found her soul there and gave her a glimpse of her people's future. Without her to protect them, the Forsaken would be squandered by the Horde and eventually made extinct. (Pg 188)
Yeah, just ignore that talk about arrows in her quiver.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 04-01-2018 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 04-02-2018, 03:19 AM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,076
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Please don't mind the dreadlord.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 04-02-2018, 07:59 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
The first parts of your post just seem to be more objections to forming and presenting theories based on correlations in the absence of other information. I don't think they add anything that we haven't already discussed.
You really ought to do about your use of fallacies. First, there is this straw man. You know, I've never made any objection to forming theories based on correlations, I've made objections to using such theories as the basis of an argument.

Why? Well, simply put, because hoc ergo propter hoc is considered a logical fallacy for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
On your point regarding Cataclysm box sales however, I would be cautious about using box sales as your metric when subscription data is available. Subscription data tells us more about how the audience reacts to and continues to want to pay for content, and dampens the effects that marketing and brand equity would have on pure box sales.
The way I see it, box sales are more tied to the overrarching theme and marketing, whereas subscription data seem to be tied more to the actual quality/execution of the content in question and its subsequent longetivity.

That's why Mists had lower initial box sales than Cataclysm or Draenor, the theme of the expansion simply not being as appealing, yet the subscription was a bit more stable, at least until the post Orgrimmar content drought and minus the initial drop.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Demon Hunter
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 464

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
You really ought to do about your use of fallacies. First, there is this straw man. You know, I've never made any objection to forming theories based on correlations, I've made objections to using such theories as the basis of an argument.
In context to what I said in the first place, this is a distinction without a difference. If that confuses you, it may be due to confusion between an argument and a statement of fact. In some situations an argument is a statement of fact, in other cases it may be used to express an opinion, a theory, an interpretation, or even conjecture.

So once again: "can help to demonstrate" =/= "proves".

Quote:
The way I see it, box sales are more tied to the overrarching theme and marketing, whereas subscription data seem to be tied more to the actual quality/execution of the content in question and its subsequent longetivity.

That's why Mists had lower initial box sales than Cataclysm or Draenor, the theme of the expansion simply not being as appealing, yet the subscription was a bit more stable, at least until the post Orgrimmar content drought and minus the initial drop.
I think that's fair. The only element I would add is that box sales are also influenced by brand and franchise equity.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:51 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
In context to what I said in the first place, this is a distinction without a difference. If that confuses you, it may be due to confusion between an argument and a statement of fact. In some situations an argument is a statement of fact, in other cases it may be used to express an opinion, a theory, an interpretation, or even conjecture.

So once again: "can help to demonstrate" =/= "proves".
I am sorry Kyalin, but it simply does not work this way. An argument does not have to be a statement of fact indeed, but even then, it needs to be grounded in something solid, otherwise it oughts to be dismissed.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:01 AM
Kyalin V. Raintree Kyalin V. Raintree is offline

Demon Hunter
Kyalin V. Raintree's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 464

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
I am sorry Kyalin, but it simply does not work this way. An argument does not have to be a statement of fact indeed, but even then, it needs to be grounded in something solid, otherwise it oughts to be dismissed.
So the discussion you and I just had about box sales versus subscription revenues is solid and acceptable, but claiming that the increase in box sales from War I/II to III taken with the post wrath decline may help to demonstrate what sorts of stories players prefer ought to be entirely dismissed? There is no more basis to the first discussion than there is to the second.

I could disrupt the conclusion that I agreed with on subscription sales by bringing up macroeconomic trends, market saturation, fatigue with the style of game, or stronger competition (not in the exact same space, but in video games in general) as conflating factors. These didn't occur to you, or if they did you didn't mention them, but they do pose a third factor threat to the correlation you and I were talking about.

I think that may be because you were sympathetic to the claim on subscription revenues versus box sales, but you didn't like the conclusions buried in my observation of sales trends between War 1/2 and 3 as well as the post wrath decline. As for me, I'm not holding out for someone to amass the research necessary to parse out all of these conflating factors to make purposely tentative comments on what the trends appear to say, or to consider the far less well signposted tentative commentary from others. I may not agree with that latter commentary, and I can acknowledge intractable problems with logical basis, but I will consider it, and as we've observed, at times, so will you.

That's also reasonable. We don't have the resources or access to data as contributors to a fan site necessary to provide reasonable assurance for most of our claims, and we probably never will.

So, if you don't like what those tentative comments have to say, fine. But you should be aware that you aren't being consistent in which correlative arguments you will consider, and which you will simply dismiss.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:55 AM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,076
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
So how can Blizzard portray Sylvanas in a way that won't end in a rebellion? Turn her into someone the Horde needs. I don't expect the Horde to become as ruthless as she is, and she may need to be reigned in somewhat, but being honorable is a direction I can't see the faction go anymore.
Quote:
Warcraft I, II and III box sales.
Come on
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:02 AM
Marthen Marthen is offline

Eternal
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 4,743

Default

Both claims are completely acceptable by themselves. Both are pretty much equal in their theoretically value. The third one you mention would be superior to them given its nature. That's not the issue at all. The issue is how you are using your claim. If you can't somehow understand that, I feel we are done here.
__________________
Project on hiatus...
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 04-06-2018, 08:16 AM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,076
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Both claims are completely acceptable by themselves. Both are pretty much equal in their theoretically value. The third one you mention would be superior to them given its nature. That's not the issue at all. The issue is how you are using your claim. If you can't somehow understand that, I feel we are done here.
But are her claims even relevant to the subject at hand?

Or is she saying "Sylvanas sells, thus necessary evil" and doing an extra effort on not being clear at that?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sylvanas, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.