Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default Collector’s Edition: A Tale of Two Novellas Preview

There are two sides to every story. Get a taste for the tension and drama that unfolds in this preview of our Battle for Azeroth novellas: Elegy by Christie Golden and A Good War by Robert Brooks. These two tales explore the Horde and the Alliance versions of a fateful event, but only you can decide which faction tells it best.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...f-two-novellas

Quote:
Saurfang’s lips pulled back into a snarl. The power of nature was not found in the swing of a fist or the slice of a blade. It was found when a forest was rent to dust by fire and yet returned in only a few years. It was found when a mighty city was claimed by overgrowth after being abandoned for a decade. It was found in a thousand generations of predator and prey, which lived and hunted by the instincts of their ancestors.

In the hands of a druid, that power could be condensed from centuries into a minute. In Malfurion’s hands . . .
Quote:
With a yowl of fury, Ferryn sprang toward the Forsaken, while—too slowly—Delaryn drew an arrow and nocked it to her bow. There was a blur, and then another rogue was there, a blood elf, slashing out with his own blades, long golden hair flying behind him like a cloak. In what seemed like the span of a single heartbeat, half a dozen night elves were left bleeding out or spasming in torment on the verdant forest floor.

Finally, the Sentinels rallied. The blood elf vanished at once, but no matter. They would catch him as he fled like the coward he was. They sent a rain of arrows toward the gaps in the trees, but hit nothing. The sin’dorei had eluded them.
In my opinion, the difference between Brooks and Golden is crystal clear. One is poetic, building phrase after phrase, metaphor on metaphor for a bigger, composed construction. The other is rushed and colludes a bunch of events in the same sentence.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:27 PM

Loremaster

I really wish they'd refrain from using "rogue" outside the game. It honestly doesn't fit in a proper narrative context because it's just a convenient tabletop RPG catch-all for a spy, assassin, thief, or a dozen other things involving wearing leather and using blades so that the game doesn't have to figure stats and skills for twenty classes instead of one. It's literally a gameplay class designation and nothing else, and it doesn't really feel natural for it to exist in the parlance of the people who live in the actual fantasy world.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I really wish they'd refrain from using "rogue" outside the game. It honestly doesn't fit in a proper narrative context because it's just a convenient tabletop RPG catch-all for a spy, assassin, thief, or a dozen other things involving wearing leather and using blades so that the game doesn't have to figure stats and skills for twenty classes instead of one. It's literally a gameplay class designation and nothing else, and it doesn't really feel natural for it to exist in the parlance of the people who live in the actual fantasy world.
I've read a similar comment on Reddit, and that's on Golden's writing style.

There are better people out there for her position.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

there are too many things that happen in goldens writing and its too much ehm.... "romantic" stuff ( i mean stuff like "The blood elves hair was like a lions mane, Golden locks like a silver fox" or whatever.

Too many details that are quite boring.

I dont really care about the exact locations of all pimples of an orc or the locations of all scars of a human is especially not if that fictional creature is going to get killed in the next paragraph.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 04-06-2018, 05:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Don't they use the term rogues in the rogue's class hall? Technically warrior and hunter can fall in the same category but people aren't offended at that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Don't they use the term rogues in the rogue's class hall? Technically warrior and hunter can fall in the same category but people aren't offended at that.
And frankly that's weird too. What the hell even is a "rogue?" Every other class has a clear concept of what they are, but the rogue is literally just "leather-wearing melee DPS." It's a wholly game-based concept that doesn't really belong in the vernacular of WoW's inhabitants.

Warrior and hunter work because they're a lot more specific than "rogue." "Rogue" is some generalized term for a bunch of unrelated profession concepts lumped into one class not because they're even functionally related, but because their stats and equipment match.

A warrior, as represented by the player, is specifically a non-enlisted, non-magic-using fighter. People might roleplay on their time as a Sentinel, or a grunt, or a footman, but canonically the player warrior isn't those things because if we were, we'd be shoveling latrines and standing post instead of doing quests and running dungeons. A hunter's, well, a hunter; nothing ever suggests that the player hunter is a ranger, or a Sentinel huntress, or any of the other things that NPC's use the Hunter class setup to represent, and how the player functions kinda makes it so you can't really be those things. Conversely, the "rogue" is just kind of a scattershot description for "person who sneaks around in leather," with this vague implication that being one makes you an assassin, a spy, a thief, a swashbuckler and an army scout all at the same time. Moreover, the name itself encompasses this class-based idea of criminality, so characters referring to the player with it is like if they addressed us with "greetings, repeated felon whose misdeeds get ignored for purely gameplay reasons."

In fact it makes little sense that player "rogues" being involved in events is even a thing much of the time, because many of its encompassed roles include outright being a criminal who belongs in one's own faction's prison. It frequently seems weird that "rogues" are even parts of amything; much of the time they're supposedly murderers and thieves, yet...why are they allowed to continue thieving and murdering when they don't even have the excuse of being in SI:7?

It's admittedly hardly limited to WoW, but there's this weird "thing" in fantasy that's often taken me out of the story where for some reason a violent and larcenous criminal can declare himself as such and bizarrely be tolerated by everyone if he just calls himself an adventurer at the same time. As if being a violent felon is somehow endearing and cute. Such character archetypes in fantasy will often outright introduce themselves to prospective allies and heroes by identifying as a thief or assassin who preys on society at large and nobody's response is "then why the hell are we recruiting this guy and not arresting him and sparing everyone from being murdered and/or robbed by him? Consequently the idea of the "rogue" just feels wholly game-based on a level that other classes don't, so whenever a character addresses the player as as rogue, it comes across as artificial and fourth-wall-breaking to me.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:15 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball

Matthias Shaw also says "we could use another rogue or two" during the Seething Shore bg as well.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:21 PM

Hippogryph

Boo Christie Golden. How is she even allowed to write?
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 AM

Demon Hunter

Alright. You knew I was coming.

So, some of you may know that back when I was on the Story Forum, I butted heads a lot with a poster named Scryll, now Ronstin. I've quoted him at length before in another topic, and recently in regard to this topic, he posted this:

Quote:
:starts reading:

Less than a page in and I already hear Kyalin, Ferlion, et al complaining about how it shouldn't be possible for night elves to be taken unawares in a forest.
(https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...2166884?page=5)

Well, he's not wrong.

Now, I recognize the absurdity in declaring that someone is being wrong on the internet from the other side of the internet, but as usual, Ronstin tends to raise good points. So as I try and map out what concerns me about Elegy in particular, I will bear what I regard as the best set of counterarguments to my points in mind.

So let's get started.

Elegy opens with an undead rogue killing two higher-up commanders. A blood elf rogue joins in, and within seconds, we've killed off eight night elves. The Blood Elf escapes into the woods, the Undead rogue dies. We learn that the same thing his happening all over Ashenvale to deprive the defenders of their commanders.

Getting the mitigating points out of the way, we can assume that most of the Night Elven military and fleet (glad to see they have a fleet again) are in or are en route to Feralas while Tyrande is, for some reason, in Stormwind. We're dealing with the reserves and those left behind. Fair enough.

That said, we're still dealing with the Night Elves being taken by surprise in their own forests when they know that assassins are around (they were killing Nightsabers and apparently word had been coming in from other outposts around Ashenvale) and hence should be on guard. Should they have ever been taken by surprise in the first place? In this case it can be justified. The commander is just learning of this from the only one among the outpost that knows, and then the attack happens. I can buy that the two assassins would be able to get their marks and abscond. Fine.

But the additional six?

Ronstin by around page 6 begins to argue that the special abilities and training of a rogue should make this possible. But if we're going by the class definitions Golden apparently wants to use, it behooves us to acknowledge how much the Hunter class got from Night Elven sentinels and priestesses of the moon - who have typically countered rogues in PVP. Even if we don't strictly adhere to game mechanics, we are dealing with two assassins, now out in the open, able to plow over six sentinels, not to mention the rest of the garrison bearing down on them. One still manages to abscond, having gone through the motions necessary to defeat six defenders in the span of what seems like a heartbeat. Replay that ending fight scene from "V for Vendetta", and imagine that taking place in the span of time it takes to snap your finger... let's be generous and say five times. There is something difficult to accept about that.

I am also apparently not alone. A lot of the comments, especially the top ones, echo my concerns.
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ne...f-two-novellas

So, I don't find it believable, but is that what irks me? Not so much as the gratuitous nature of it. Golden chose to kill six extra Night Elves when having the rogues abscond after killing the commanders would have sufficed. Why are we killing these six Night Elves and having the Blood Elf escape from an outpost of countless others? Why is the undead rogue mocking his captors and explaining the scale of the Horde's success in their tactic? What's with the tone? Why is it called "Elegy"?

Why does it end like this?

Quote:
Ferryn didn’t know, but whenever the two of them parted, Delaryn prayed to Elune that he would be safe. She asked for that favor again now, and for the first time, she had the faintest fluttering that, in this battle, the beautiful, loving moon goddess might not answer that prayer.
... well, why am I asking questions I know the answer to?

The piece is depressing and depicts a situation that the Night Elves don't even think they have control of, conveying a tone reminiscent of the Night Elven questing during Cataclysm. We're putting a magnifying glass on the moments where the Night Elves fail and fail spectacularly. They're consumed with doubt, horror, pain, and lament. Horde questing in Cataclysm by contrast was typically marked with aggression, bombast, and confidence - of the sort we see in the Horde characters in this novella so far.

Brooks' presentation is different. But I'm not talking about Brooks, I'm talking about Golden, and what this preview says about what we can expect from her in the future, which appears to be more of the same for Night Elves: a depressing experience contrived to deprive the player, or the reader, of the feeling that their character, or the protagonist, is competent, autonomous, or meaningful.

So on the whole, I'm not upset because six fictional characters got waxed. I'm concerned because we're seeing the return of a very old trend that has in the past, led to the oft-described "defanging" of the Night Elves in the first place, at a moment when the playable race needs literally anything else.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:20 AM

Loremaster

I'm not sure it's meant to be a "defanging of the night elves," per se. It feels more like a symptom of the game bleeding into the story. The Alliance excerpt has all the hallmarks of trying to appeal to the fanservice sensibilities of people who play the game. Thus we have rogues who aren't just really skilled; the methodology of how they're portrayed makes them effectively inserts for "the player" as we exist in the game, effortlessly chopping apart a bunch of nameless soldiers before vanishing unscathed, then bumping off the enemy's poorly defended hierarchy of officers as they're in the midst of their own armies.

Why? Not because the night elves are specifically meant to appear weak or inept, but because it's representative of how these things work when the player is doing them in the game. It comes across like an outright transplant of how we defeat enemy armies via quests. The only thing missing was the blood elf rogue being shown grabbing a dozen of something scattered around the night elf camp and dousing a half-dozen braziers of some sort between killing Sentinels.

Which is a problem in and of itself, albeit a different problem. And I can't help thinking it might be intentional. Marketing-wise Blizzard may well think it's great to lace stories with blatant reminders of the meta-game regardless of how it can adversely affect the flow and feel of the stories themselves.

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-07-2018 at 01:24 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
A hunter's, well, a hunter; nothing ever suggests that the player hunter is a ranger, or a Sentinel huntress, or any of the other things that NPC's use the Hunter class setup to represent, and how the player functions kinda makes it so you can't really be those things.
Actually, that's not really accurate. Hunters have talents that do allow players to turn their hunters into one of the less generic professions you've mentioned.

For example, a player can turn their hunter into a Dark Ranger by taking the talent Dark Arrow, allowing them to raise undead creatures, or into a night elf Sentinel huntress by taking the talents Sentinel (Marksmanship) or Chakrams (B4A Survival)/Glaive Toss (MoP - WoD Hunter).

Last edited by Nazja; 04-07-2018 at 01:42 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Actually, that's not really accurate. Hunters have talents that do allow players to turn their hunters into one of the less generic professions you've mentioned.

For example, a player can turn their hunter into a Dark Ranger by taking the talent Dark Arrow, allowing them to raise undead creatures, or into a night elf Sentinel huntress by taking the talents Sentinel (Marksmanship) or Chakrams (B4A Survival)/Glaive Toss (MoP - WoD Hunter).
Except that's not making you a dark ranger, because the dark rangers are an organization that's specifically subject to the Forsaken and the military chain of command therein, while the hunter players are essentially autonomous. As Sentinels are also specifically soldiers in an army with strictly narrow associations. Learning their skills is just that: learning skills that were previously exclusively known by the dark rangers and Sentinels.

After all warlocks learning to use techniques previously exclusive to Illidan doesn't mean they're Illidari, and warriors using Avatar doesn't mean they're Mountain Kings. It means they figured out how to do things those groups also know how to do.

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-07-2018 at 01:53 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Except that's not making you a dark ranger, because the dark rangers are an organization that's specifically subject to the Forsaken and the military chain of command therein, while the hunter players are essentially autonomous. As Sentinels are also specifically soldiers in an army with strictly narrow associations. Learning their skills is just that: learning skills that were previously exclusively known by the dark rangers and Sentinels.

After all warlocks learning to use techniques previously exclusive to Illidan doesn't mean they're Illidari, and warriors using Avatar doesn't mean they're Mountain Kings. It means they figured out how to do things those groups also know how to do.
Yes and no.

I fully agree with you on warlocks not becoming a member of the Illidari by virtue of having learned some of Illidan's skills, but the being an Illidari is alos not a profession. You should have gone with Illidari Demonhunter, and even then a Warlock would still not be a Demon Hunter because, despite of the overlap, there is a clear distinction between the two classes. They're not really comparable to say a night elf hunter claiming to be a Sentinel or a dwarven warrior claiming to be a Mountain King.

Yes, a dwarven warrior that uses Avatar has never explicitly been called a Mountain King, but this has also never been denied and is the only reason one could possibly deny that this specific warrior is also a Mountain King. Sorry if this offends you (likely not ), but this sounds like a very narrow point of view and slightly pedantic to me.

You could make a case about forsaken hunters definitely not being Dark Rangers given that they're not the required race, but that's a special case.

Edit:
You need only look at the Hunter Order Hall if you seek confirmation that the class also represents elvish rangers, night elvish huntresses, orcish/mok'nathal beastmaster and forsaken dark rangers.

Last edited by Nazja; 04-07-2018 at 03:15 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 06:05 AM

blood elf rogue kills and runs so izi!!

GG Nelves noobs
Old 04-07-2018, 06:33 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
And frankly that's weird too. What the hell even is a "rogue?" Every other class has a clear concept of what they are, but the rogue is literally just "leather-wearing melee DPS." It's a wholly game-based concept that doesn't really belong in the vernacular of WoW's inhabitants.

Warrior and hunter work because they're a lot more specific than "rogue." "Rogue" is some generalized term for a bunch of unrelated profession concepts lumped into one class not because they're even functionally related, but because their stats and equipment match.

A warrior, as represented by the player, is specifically a non-enlisted, non-magic-using fighter. People might roleplay on their time as a Sentinel, or a grunt, or a footman, but canonically the player warrior isn't those things because if we were, we'd be shoveling latrines and standing post instead of doing quests and running dungeons. A hunter's, well, a hunter; nothing ever suggests that the player hunter is a ranger, or a Sentinel huntress, or any of the other things that NPC's use the Hunter class setup to represent, and how the player functions kinda makes it so you can't really be those things. Conversely, the "rogue" is just kind of a scattershot description for "person who sneaks around in leather," with this vague implication that being one makes you an assassin, a spy, a thief, a swashbuckler and an army scout all at the same time. Moreover, the name itself encompasses this class-based idea of criminality, so characters referring to the player with it is like if they addressed us with "greetings, repeated felon whose misdeeds get ignored for purely gameplay reasons."

In fact it makes little sense that player "rogues" being involved in events is even a thing much of the time, because many of its encompassed roles include outright being a criminal who belongs in one's own faction's prison. It frequently seems weird that "rogues" are even parts of amything; much of the time they're supposedly murderers and thieves, yet...why are they allowed to continue thieving and murdering when they don't even have the excuse of being in SI:7?

It's admittedly hardly limited to WoW, but there's this weird "thing" in fantasy that's often taken me out of the story where for some reason a violent and larcenous criminal can declare himself as such and bizarrely be tolerated by everyone if he just calls himself an adventurer at the same time. As if being a violent felon is somehow endearing and cute. Such character archetypes in fantasy will often outright introduce themselves to prospective allies and heroes by identifying as a thief or assassin who preys on society at large and nobody's response is "then why the hell are we recruiting this guy and not arresting him and sparing everyone from being murdered and/or robbed by him? Consequently the idea of the "rogue" just feels wholly game-based on a level that other classes don't, so whenever a character addresses the player as as rogue, it comes across as artificial and fourth-wall-breaking to me.
RPGs should have been using Scoundrel in place of Rogue.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:28 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
I'm not sure it's meant to be a "defanging of the night elves," per se. It feels more like a symptom of the game bleeding into the story. The Alliance excerpt has all the hallmarks of trying to appeal to the fanservice sensibilities of people who play the game. Thus we have rogues who aren't just really skilled; the methodology of how they're portrayed makes them effectively inserts for "the player" as we exist in the game, effortlessly chopping apart a bunch of nameless soldiers before vanishing unscathed, then bumping off the enemy's poorly defended hierarchy of officers as they're in the midst of their own armies.

Why? Not because the night elves are specifically meant to appear weak or inept, but because it's representative of how these things work when the player is doing them in the game. It comes across like an outright transplant of how we defeat enemy armies via quests. The only thing missing was the blood elf rogue being shown grabbing a dozen of something scattered around the night elf camp and dousing a half-dozen braziers of some sort between killing Sentinels.

Which is a problem in and of itself, albeit a different problem. And I can't help thinking it might be intentional. Marketing-wise Blizzard may well think it's great to lace stories with blatant reminders of the meta-game regardless of how it can adversely affect the flow and feel of the stories themselves.
Well, first, it is intentional. We read marketing. These excerpts are intended to get people to buy the CE so they can read the full novella. There was something about these passages that said to Blizzard "yes, this is the perfect way for us to sell this". We're reading what they are most proud of, and that says a lot about where they intend to go.

Are we dealing with PCs versus quest mobs? Maybe, but that doesn't make the problem go away, nor does it mean we are wholly discussing a different problem. Blizzard has long annoyed people like myself not necessarily because of the pure canon but because of what moments they showcase and which ones they downplay, and even further than that: how they filter and portray the moments they choose to promote. In this case, we have them showcasing a tale of depressing loss and a declaration of Night Elven impotence, again. (No, by the way, I've seen arguments that the Night Elves won this engagement somehow. Despite that the Horde achieved their objectives and lost only one man. If that's how I'm supposed to define "victory", then what the hell is a defeat?)

This could also be selective, so I'll ask this question before making an assertion. Are there other sequences like this? Where one or two unnamed characters from playable races absolutely demolish encampments staffed with characters of other playable races? Does this just happen all of the time or am I witnessing something unique?

Last edited by Kyalin V. Raintree; 04-07-2018 at 07:31 AM..
Old 04-07-2018, 08:22 AM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyalin V. Raintree View Post
Why does it end like this?
It's an excerpt of a book.

Quote:

I think it's intentional as well. There's a large group of players who prefer Golden's writing because she "cuts to the chase", and I believe that's the same kind of people who enjoy novelized games like the Assassin's Creed books, which just plain out insert game mechanics into the narrative.

I believe there's two large groups in the Warcraft community: a group that prefers self-insert fanfic gamey stories and another one who prefers well-written, metaphorical, poetic stories. If Blizzard wants to invest on stories to advertise their games (which is what they're doing), then they must please both groups.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:30 PM

Eternal

Out of these two I much prefer the first one. The second one reads awkwardly to me, not just because of the usage of 'rogue' , that one belongs to Golden, right? I'm trying to remember when she started to lose her touch because there was a time when most people seemed to agree she was the best Warcraft writer. Now, personally, I kind of miss Knaak, even if that's partly because warcraft just seemed like a different world back then. In any case, the other writer's part really makes me want to get the full book. Has he written anything else for warcraft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
And Lordaeron

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I

Last edited by Royalpimp; 04-07-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Old 04-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Out of these two I much prefer the first one. The second one reads awkwardly to me, not just because of the usage of 'rogue' , that one belongs to Golden, right? I'm trying to remember when she started to lose her touch because there was a time when most people seemed to agree she was the best Warcraft writer. Now, personally, I kind of miss Knaak, even if that's partly because warcraft just seemed like a different world back then. In any case, the other writer's part really makes me want to get the full book. Has he written anything else for warcraft?
  • Death From Above (2013)
  • The Untamed Valley (2014)
  • Hellscream (2014)
  • Blackhand (2014)
  • World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 (2015)
  • Highmountain: A Mountain Divided (2016)
  • Anduin: Son of the Wolf (2016)
  • The Tomb of Sargeras (2016)
  • World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2 (2017)
  • Hearthstone Undeath Conquers All (2017)
  • A Thousand Years of War (2017)
  • Hearthstone The Art of Hearthstone (2018)
  • World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3 (2018)
  • A Good War (2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 04:02 PM

Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Out of these two I much prefer the first one. The second one reads awkwardly to me, not just because of the usage of 'rogue' , that one belongs to Golden, right?
Elegy - Golden

A Good War - Brooks
Old 04-07-2018, 05:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

Man no wonder you guys are retarded.

You are all from the story forums.
Btag is Hulk#23939
Old 04-08-2018, 12:07 AM

Critter

I agree, OP. In general, I find Golden's style to be "I write to convey information" with a flowery description thrown in here or there. I don't often find myself immersed or transported to whatever scene she's trying to portray.

Still, I'm eager to read both of them, if only to have some hot new lore details to throw around later. I greatly look forward to reading Brooks's novella. The snippets I've seen of Malfurion are TIGHT.

Personally, my impression of Brooks's Malfurion is he's acting almost completely out-of-character from what we've seen prior. But the character shown is such a drastic improvement, that I don't even care. I hope we see more of this Malfurion, and I hope he doesn't bite the bullet. I'm afraid that he might be getting the Varian treatment, which is to say Blizzard makes me like him for 5 minutes before killing him off.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:31 AM

Orc Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
Man no wonder you guys are retarded.

You are all from the story forums.
Hellscream's eyes are upon you.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:22 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

It's ironic how the Horde story has something more positive for the Night Elves than the Alliance one does. (Malfurion actually standing up to the Horde and fighting them, like Night Elf fans wanted.)
Old 04-08-2018, 07:25 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samariyu View Post

Personally, my impression of Brooks's Malfurion is he's acting almost completely out-of-character from what we've seen prior. But the character shown is such a drastic improvement, that I don't even care. I hope we see more of this Malfurion, and I hope he doesn't bite the bullet. I'm afraid that he might be getting the Varian treatment, which is to say Blizzard makes me like him for 5 minutes before killing him off.
I'm not sure he's that out of character. Blizzard has wanted us to believe that he does care, but that in the past he was occupied. This is them showing that and not just telling us that.

I share your concerns that we're about to lose him though. The Horde is losing Saurfang (or he is at least being put in the hands of the Alliance for a while) and Horde players have been howling for the deaths of main Alliance characters for a while.

It's just a problem for me that whenever Blizzard looks to give the Horde wins over the Alliance, they routinely turn to the same playable race to give it to them.

Tags
literature, warcraft