Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Warcraft be rebooted?
Yes 25 78.13%
No 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2018, 08:58 AM

Elune

Grunt Should Warcraft be rebooted?

Well?

I am personally strongly in favor of that. A lot of lore post-WC3 is... not so good. And yes even some WC3 lore should be addressed, Grackle and friends. WC2 and 1 lore too actually. But I digress, not all of it sucks, a lot of things from the WoW era are good even if they are somewhat rough around the edges due to the nature of WoW itself.

Take the lore that sucks or doesn't make sense and change it, what works you keep and improve if possible. Work on consistency and realism along with the main work of making the story more interesting. To that end add some timeskips between the WoW expansions you choose to keep and just do all the common sense lore fixes we've all been pining for.

So yeah, reboot it, ditch the bad stuff keep the good stuff and polish it up!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

Not really rebooted, but if someday Warcraft 4 is released it should start after Arthas climbs the Frozen Throne.
That doesn't mean that the world building that has been done in wow should be launched to the trash can (draenei look and background, for example), but the script and the storyline should start anew from that point.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:53 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

As someone who has played WOW since vanilla and invested quite a bit of time into this game, no. Although there are certainly issues with the story, some of which are the cause of the MMO-RPG format, I would rather not see everything since WC3 simply be rewritten simply for a chance that the outcome might end up better.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Rebooting Wacraft could only work if WoW went offline. It would take far too much time to rework all of WoW's content, and I don't see Blizzard going the route of Star Wars or Star Trek with their being two simultaneously running continuities (outside of clearly delineated from the source material adaptations like the movie).
Old 05-06-2018, 03:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
Rebooting Wacraft could only work if WoW went offline. It would take far too much time to rework all of WoW's content, and I don't see Blizzard going the route of Star Wars or Star Trek with their being two simultaneously running continuities (outside of clearly delineated from the source material adaptations like the movie).
Yeah it would be best done after WoW is retired otherwise they would either have to put some work in as you say or just leave the past a hot mess of retconned lore and make new expansions with rebooted lore.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:33 PM

Hippogryph

A reboot kept far away from current Blizzard would be nice. Hell, bring on Metzen on board (if only to see what he'd do with the advantage of hindsight).

Seriously though I already discussed making an Ultimate Warcraft which would effectively be a reboot. If you want some examples of what I'd suggest then here's some of them:

1. Varian's whole little plot of getting kidnapped is axed (transparently a weak attempt to address Stormwind's absence in WCIII) with Stormwind presented as actively interfering with Lordaeron's scourging. Actually do something with Varian being Arthas' BFF. Make the aftermath of Lordaeron's blighting be his first serious test as king.

2. In line with the above either scrap the Garithos character and just have the Blood Elves occupy Dalaran until forced to flee by the encroaching Scourge or make Garithos less of a blatant plot device to force Alliance hostility onto the Blood Elves with his position in the Alliance more solid.

3. Either make Sylvanas less of a cackling plague brewing shrew to be in line with her recent turn as a dark heroine ala Kerrigan or run with it but make her and the Forsaken have more comeuppances to take advantage of not having to account for the MMORPG format. The Forsaken as a faction also need to have a decision whether once freed they're the citizenry of Lordaeron but just Undead (with the consequences it should have that were played down for WoW's) or monsters wearing their skin.

4. Daelin survives TFT's Orc Campaign and continues to serve the Alliance. Jaina isn't shameless/disloyal enough to turn on her own father for what were green boar men and instead Daelin retreats when he sees the Horde is too much to deal with and their are bigger threats for now.

5. Go full Elric of Melibone for Arthas and make him like his Interpretation of Warcraft III version.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 05-06-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Old 05-06-2018, 09:22 PM

Eternal

My alternate WoW is basically this, so I approve.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:03 AM

Elune

Don't forget to vote guys, I see a few of you commented but forgot to vote.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:06 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

I wrote an alternate second expansion for Warcraft III some time ago. Might be interesting for some of you:

http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...68#post1610868

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-08-2018, 12:58 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

My idea for a rebooted Warcraft would be a result from the end of BfA. I already shot it into discord, but it in short - The faction war in Battle for Azeroth will result in no winner as Azerite is mined, used and utilized to its full potential. Destroying the very landscapes, environments and biomes of Azeroth itself.

The over-extension of Azerite takes its toll upon the nascent titan. Throughout the entire expansion, the misguided and selfish usage of the Heart nearly kills Azeroth, causing a world wide catastrophe; a third Cataclysm, but different compared to the last two. A dying planet as light fades from the withering surface of the world.

The cold and dark begin to take over, crops fail and civilizations crumble and collapse all around. Kingdoms once like Stormwind, Quel'thalas and Ironforge all become distant memories as the Alliance and Horde become confined to the history books and songs, ballads and legends of the past. Of an Azeroth that once was.

A Dark Age of Warcraft if you will.

Pitched as an expansion idea for WoW, but I feel it would fit better as a Warcaft IV installment.

Last edited by Melorandor; 05-08-2018 at 01:17 AM..
Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 AM

Guru of Gilneas

The lore (and its associated continuity) have become a beyond-repair clusterfuck. It's okay to reboot when they are needed. But first let die and then rest before rebooting.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Hippogryph

Do you have suggestions? Especially for TBC up.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

I think a reboot would do the lore good but only if they adhere to certain principles.

1. Create lore/world building for the sake of it. At the moment lore/world building exists for the sake of the game, and is created by necessity and a need to meet deadlines. For a reboot to work Blizzard needs to distance lore creation and world building from constraints of the game.

2. Stop relying on lazy methods such as anthromorphs, balance of dark and light, streamlining (everything being Titan originated), and rule of cool. Sometimes for a setting to feel complete a lot of boring shit needs to happen (see LotR).

3. Think big when it comes to world building. The world is too small even in lore given how single biomes cover massive stretches of landmass. Think small when it comes to conflicts.

That's all I got so far. I also wouldn't mind a heavy metal sound track like this.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 AM

Elune

Damn, the results of the poll are pretty scathing. More than 80% are pro-reboot right now.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:05 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Damn, the results of the poll are pretty scathing. More than 80% are pro-reboot right now.
Fairly low poll turnout though.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:17 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Fairly low poll turnout though.
The site is pretty dead so we can consider this as representative as it gets.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:29 AM

Arch-Druid
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

It’s not that I oppose the idea of a reboot in general. There are lots of ways I think it would benefit the franchise. I’m just barely comfortable with the idea of WoW moving forward without Metzen, let alone starting over. I’ll probably come around in a few years.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
The site is pretty dead so we can consider this as representative as it gets.
Are you on the discord?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:19 PM

Elune

I joined Discord very early on but I don't like it as a platform for lore discussion at all.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:26 PM

Eternal

Just mentioning it because while this site has now less traffic, the discord is bustling.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:04 PM

Chimaera

A reboot would mean losing everything that anyone likes from the beginning of WoW onward, and a doubling-down on the tired old things that we don't like, mainly the faction conflict and very boring orcs vs humans themes and stories.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:56 PM

Echo of the Past

And if a reboot happened, following the movie's cinematic universe?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM

Hippogryph

A grand reboot needs to do the following:

A. Have no Forsaken or otherwise snowflake Undead.

B. No time travel.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:29 PM

Eternal

Yes, but they should kill WoW first.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:24 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: kam#1475

Yes, and Christie Golden should be kept far away from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Just remember, the Alliance is only ever allowed to passively defend itself against the Horde, and Taurajo was Azeroth's equivalent of the Holocaust.

Tags
critical thinking, warcraft