Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 06-24-2017, 10:12 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
That explains a lot, thanks. But if that's all, wouldn't anyone who knows what his deal is be able to counter him pretty easily?
Not exactly, he's really fast, really skilled, and while not 'superintelligent' he's pretty smart despite being pretty crazy. He's a very deadly dude.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
What I'm curious about is what exactly Tensei did that attracted Stain's attention.

Knowing Stain it was probably something pretty minor or warped, but I'm still curious.
It's because Tensei was, in Stain's mind, an "impure hero", who was only out for money and glory, not for doing the right thing. In Stain's mind, only people who are out to defend others and be a hero, not for personal gain or fame, should be called "heroes", and he's purging society of the greedy and "fake" heroes like Ingenium. He even chastised Tenya for going out for revenge, instead of going out of his way to save the injured hero that Stain had at his mercy, while genuinely respecting Izuku for being a "genuine hero". Only heroes like All Might are heroes in Stain's eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.

Last edited by Ganishka; 06-24-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Old 06-24-2017, 11:55 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
It's because Tensei was, in Stain's mind, an "impure hero", who was only out for money and glory, not for doing the right thing. In Stain's mind, only people who are out to defend others and be a hero, not for personal gain or fame, should be called "heroes", and he's purging society of the greedy and "fake" heroes like Ingenium. He even chastised Tenya for going out for revenge, instead of going out of his way to save the injured hero that Stain had at his mercy, while genuinely respecting Izuku for being a "genuine hero". Only heroes like All Might are heroes in Stain's eyes.
Well yes the revenge bit is understandable, but what specifically did Tensei/Ingenium do to be 'fake'? Nothing we saw suggested he was particularly after money or fame.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-25-2017, 05:02 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Well yes the revenge bit is understandable, but what specifically did Tensei/Ingenium do to be 'fake'? Nothing we saw suggested he was particularly after money or fame.
It was mentioned that Iida'sentire family are heroes, so Stain might see him as a rich kid doing this because it's the family business instead of "pure" intentions.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:47 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

I know I'm pretty late, but I recently started Naruto. I'm currently at the end of the filler of PART 1 (so no talks about what comes after please) and I felt like giving my opinion on it so far, ask a few questions and maybe talk about it with you guys, even if you already saw it years ago. I don't usually watch animes.

First things I got to say is that Ive heard bad things from the filler part, but I think it's great. I mean, sure it doesn't pursue the main story, it feels kinda disjointed a little and some stories are just plain retarded (the cooking ninjas and the postmen ninjas), but I think it actually allows the show to play on its strength: the characters. I mean, what I really like about this show is how diverse the cast is and how they (the Rookie 9 and Konoha 11) interact with each others. I appreciate that they all have their personality and abilities. And I feel the show is always at its best when they are together, not when Naruto is simply with team Kakashi.

I found the show good, but nothing more up until the Sasuke recovery mission, but it is then that I really felt it got better. It was pretty cool seeing Naruto team up with Shikamaru, Neji, Kiba and Choji for a change. I felt it was kinda like a fresh start in the middle of the series, even though that fresh start would actually be the begining of part 2. And the filler episodes allowed to develop on that. It gives spotlight to characters that really needed it and that makes the whole story much better and more enjoyable.

Even if it's in the filler, the Konoha 11 arc where they all need to find the paper bombs in the village was fantastic as it really showed all of the gang work together and use their strengths to solve a situation. It was great seeing them split-up and change the teams during this adventure. It's the kind of thing Id like to see more in the main story arcs. In that sense, the Sasuke Recovery Mission was a great start. Because more than the story of Naruto, I feel the show is at its best when it tells the story of a particularly gifted generation of ninjas and their adventures together. In that sense, many characters gained a lot from featuring in the filler, especially Kiba and Hinata since they seemed like the default partners for Naruto. The characters who may have less gained from this might be Ino, which we didn't see much, and Tenten, which we saw more but was basically a competent Sakura with weapons). So I feel that this part was essential to build-up the characters in a legit way, since their personnality doesn't change between the main story and the filler, they just get more screentime and development.

On the other hand, the filler highlighted how bland team Kakashi was. Sakura doesn't really have any flavor other than being in love with Sasuke. Sasuke himself is just serious, really good and he's got his sharingan ability. And Naruto is more often than not simply annoying. The problem is he often feels like a lousy brat who wins just because he's the main character. The fox thing and his resilience is pretty much all he has to make him win, with the random brilliant idea that comes out of nowhere.

So all of this makes team Kakashi kind of a more featured but less interesting team Kurenai. I mean, Kiba is pretty much a more sympathetic Naruto (at least to me) with a dog. Hinata plays the role of Sakura as the crush girl, only she has the Byakugan which doesn't make her useless like Sakura. Shino is the stoic Sasuke with bugs ability. So in the end, team Kurenai feels like team Kakashi done right. That's pretty generic, there are still variations between the two teams, so team Kakashi can still get better without necessarily becoming identical to team Kurenai. But this is just what makes me feel the setting is much better when other characters show up.

But in the case of Naruto, he does get better and more enjoyable when he's with other characters. I like him a lot more when he's around Shikamaru, Kiba, Choji and Lee than when he's around Sasuke and Sakura. So that's another thing done right from the Recovery Mission onwards (even if it started a little in the Chunin Exams too).

So up to this point (Im at the Kurenai filler arc), Id say my favorite characters and Kakashi, Kiba and Shikamaru, in no particular order). I hope we see more of them in part 2. I don't have characters I hate, but I do wish Sakura, Naruto, Tenten and Ino would get better. Naruto needs to get less of an annoying brat in part 2 and the other 3 need more characterization.

So what about you?
What are your favorite part 1 characters?
What do you think about the main story and filler?
Are the secondary characters (Rookie 9/Konoha 11) more featured in part 2? Like, do we keep seeing them interact together and with the hero like at the end of part 1 or does it go back to like it was at the beginging of part 1?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:19 PM

World Builder

I always felt Kiba was kinda like the... Yamcha of Naruto tbh.

Hinata is an underappreciated genius though.

Shino's cool but kind of a nonentity.

EDIT:

I was gonna address the bits about the filler but I've realized I can't even remember most of what happens after Naruto gets back aside from Jiraiya dying, Naruto's fight with Pain and that nonsense with the 10-tail tree and Sasuke

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 06-25-2017 at 09:24 PM..
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
I always felt Kiba was kinda like the... Yamcha of Naruto tbh.

Hinata is an underappreciated genius though.

Shino's cool but kind of a nonentity.
Yamcha? What's it?

And I dunno, it just feels like Naruto's interactions with the other teams are better than the ones with his team.

With Shino and Neji, it's like he's arguing with Sasuke, but feels less emo and without the rivalry and hostility.

With Kiba, it's like he's arguing with himself.

Sakura could be replaced by any other female protagonist.

The point is: Naruto is more interesting when he's with the guys that aren't in his team. Which is why I hope that this kind of filler will continue in part 2 (although more spread out).
Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickster View Post
Yamcha? What's it?

And I dunno, it just feels like Naruto's interactions with the other teams are better than the ones with his team.

With Shino and Neji, it's like he's arguing with Sasuke, but feels less emo and without the rivalry and hostility.

With Kiba, it's like he's arguing with himself.

Sakura could be replaced by any other female protagonist.

The point is: Naruto is more interesting when he's with the guys that aren't in his team. Which is why I hope that this kind of filler will continue in part 2 (although more spread out).
I'll agree with all of this, save that I feel Kiba is kinda weak.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
I'll agree with all of this, save that I feel Kiba is kinda weak.
Yeah but weak in terms of power or as a character? Because I don't know what that Yachma is so I can't really see what your are telling.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 PM

Elune

Dude, don't be insulting Kiba.

At least Kiba is useful sometimes.

Yamcha is just.... Yamcha.

Man, that super episode yesterday was hype as fuck though.

I'm so glad Frieza is back. I take back my complaints, it's just so fucking perfect.

I'm really sad that by the time they reach t he dub, they might have to recast Frieza since the Kai actor is at deaths door thanks to Emphysema.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:19 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Yeah but weak in terms of power or as a character? Because I don't know what that Yachma is so I can't really see what your are telling.
Likable but a tad bland as a character, weak in combat.

To be fair, since Ruin's contesting me on it, maybe it's just that he's the only one who didn't even get close to beating his appointed Orochimaru henchman, I don't remember much of him after the timeskip.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-25-2017, 10:40 PM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
So what about you?
Yeah, the Sasuke Retrieval Arc is really the best one of the First Part, in my opinion. I'm surprised you could handle the fillers, though. I often can't stand anime material that wasn't written by the original manga author.
Quote:
What are your favorite part 1 characters?
Today? Zabuza, Neji, Shino, Orochimaru.

Back in the time? Neji and Kakashi.
Quote:
What do you think about the main story and filler?
Part 1 has a more interesting background in my opinion. Power creep just went way too high in the second one.
Quote:
Are the secondary characters (Rookie 9/Konoha 11) more featured in part 2? Like, do we keep seeing them interact together and with the hero like at the end of part 1 or does it go back to like it was at the beginging of part 1?
There's a variety of expressions in that regard. You'll see some of both. The problem is, when it's done, it's really overdone.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:56 PM

Elune

Shikimaru is the best character.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:56 PM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Likable but a tad bland as a character, weak in combat.
Yeah. Unfortunately, the support cast doesn't seem that developed in the main stuff.

As for the combat stuff, I try to ignore it. Some characters are just way overpowered already, like Kimimaro, Gaara. I heard the power curve gets batshit ridiculous later... There's also the thing that some characters just end up winning even if they shouldn't really end up winning: Kimimaro dying one second before killing Gaara (although it was at least aknowledge that Gaara was just lucky), Naruto beating Neji, again Naruto beating Kiba with a fart that came at the right moment. Come to think of it, Naruto does end up winning fights he's in no condition of winning. That guy would suck big time without the fox.

I dunno. I kinda just like the idea of fighting with a dog and I like hot-headed characters that don't overdo it, like Naruto. It's something I can relate to. Guys like Shino are just too cold. Shikamaru is cool and all, but the "genius who doesn't care" sometimes stretches it. Kiba seems more normal in the middle of that, and it's kind of nice.

Quote:
To be fair, since Ruin's contesting me on it, maybe it's just that he's the only one who didn't even get close to beating his appointed Orochimaru henchman, I don't remember much of him after the timeskip.
To be fair, Sakon was the strongest of the 4. Probably only Neji could have beaten him out of the gang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Yeah, the Sasuke Retrieval Arc is really the best one of the First Part, in my opinion. I'm surprised you could handle the fillers, though. I often can't stand anime material that wasn't written by the original manga author.

Today? Zabuza, Neji, Shino, Orochimaru.

Back in the time? Neji and Kakashi.

Part 1 has a more interesting background in my opinion. Power creep just went way too high in the second one.

There's a variety of expressions in that regard. You'll see some of both. The problem is, when it's done, it's really overdone.
Ah well, we'll see I guess. From what I heard, the Konoha gang that isn't Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke just fade away because the author forgets them. But since the anime spent more time developping them, maybe it shows them more, whether it be in main arcs or filler arcs.

I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between the manga stuff and new stuff if it weren't that filler arcs are shorter.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:04 AM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah. Unfortunately, the support cast doesn't seem that developed in the main stuff.

As for the combat stuff, I try to ignore it. Some characters are just way overpowered already, like Kimimaro, Gaara. I heard the power curve gets batshit ridiculous later... There's also the thing that some characters just end up winning even if they shouldn't really end up winning: Kimimaro dying one second before killing Gaara (although it was at least aknowledge that Gaara was just lucky), Naruto beating Neji, again Naruto beating Kiba with a fart that came at the right moment. Come to think of it, Naruto does end up winning fights he's in no condition of winning. That guy would suck big time without the fox.

I dunno. I kinda just like the idea of fighting with a dog and I like hot-headed characters that don't overdo it, like Naruto. It's something I can relate to. Guys like Shino are just too cold. Shikamaru is cool and all, but the "genius who doesn't care" sometimes stretches it. Kiba seems more normal in the middle of that, and it's kind of nice.

To be fair, Sakon was the strongest of the 4. Probably only Neji could have beaten him out of the gang.

Ah well, we'll see I guess. From what I heard, the Konoha gang that isn't Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke just fade away because the author forgets them. But since the anime spent more time developping them, maybe it shows them more, whether it be in main arcs or filler arcs.

I honestly couldn't really tell the difference between the manga stuff and new stuff if it weren't that filler arcs are shorter.
Shikimaru is the Brokage and gets the best fight in the series.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:31 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Hmm, Naruto does seems kind of useless without the fox, true. However, you have to remember that, unlike the others, he doesn't have the backing of a ninja clan or parents, and most of his teachers failed him. Even Kakashi and Jiraiya, who don't dislike him like most of his academy teachers, only got serious about his training towards the end of the second part. I wouldn't be surprised if his teachers, besides Iruka, sabotaged him. If someone had remembered or noticed why he had problems with the clone jutsu or decided to test his other jutsus instead, he would even have graduated ahead of his age group, iirc.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Naruto is boring. Let's talk about One Punch Man.

Specifically, how seriously fucked up it is that horrible monsters periodically ravage densely populated urban centers, killing thousands, injuring countless more, and irrevocably damaging the lives of even those residents fortunate enough to escape with their bodies unscathed. That steroid-giant and the sniffing hog come to mind as severely down-played threats who both managed to wreak serious havoc before Saitama decided to show up. By contrast, the sea people didn't do much more than knock some heroes around, but they were portrayed as borderline unstoppable.

The Hero Association really needs to step up its prevention game, and start taking civilian casualties more seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:13 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Everyone should just eat a monster cell.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:26 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Naruto is boring. Let's talk about One Punch Man.

Specifically, how seriously fucked up it is that horrible monsters periodically ravage densely populated urban centers, killing thousands, injuring countless more, and irrevocably damaging the lives of even those residents fortunate enough to escape with their bodies unscathed. That steroid-giant and the sniffing hog come to mind as severely down-played threats who both managed to wreak serious havoc before Saitama decided to show up. By contrast, the sea people didn't do much more than knock some heroes around, but they were portrayed as borderline unstoppable.

The Hero Association really needs to step up its prevention game, and start taking civilian casualties more seriously.
The problem is normal human are pretty much boned, heroes don't take them too seriously and are flighty, monsters destroy them or eat them, and there's too few heroes period to handle the actually dangerous monsters.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Watched No Game No Life.

Loved the premise. Really interesting. I really like the aesthetic and the color palette too, even if some people seem to dislike it.

Could use less fanservice (sigh), and the power creep rose too quick. The first times, you believe the tricks, but by the end they turn ridiculous, like, why. Specially the one in the 4v1 fight, it's just facepalm material.

I think they should have slowed the pace with the power creep a lot more, and don't make the protagonists so goddamn OP.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 06-26-2017, 12:32 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Watched No Game No Life.

Loved the premise. Really interesting. I really like the aesthetic and the color palette too, even if some people seem to dislike it.

Could use less fanservice (sigh), and the power creep rose too quick. The first times, you believe the tricks, but by the end they turn ridiculous, like, why. Specially the one in the 4v1 fight, it's just facepalm material.

I think they should have slowed the pace with the power creep a lot more, and don't make the protagonists so goddamn OP.
Yeah I got as far as the game with the angel and that was a bit too much 'fanservice' for me. Neat premise but not for me.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-26-2017, 01:02 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Little Witch Academia ended in smiles.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 PM

Elune

Speaking of Naruto, I kinda wish it had showed more of Shino. Dude is creepy as fuck (more because of the whole "my body is a hive to all sorts of insects" than his actual personality, which...there was very little of, admittedly) but that's what makes him neat. I don't even really remember him doing much. What a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Little Witch Academia ended in smiles.
I'm waiting on Netflix like a chump, but I look forward to binge watching it. And I saw this pop up a few times, but there's something about "Don't Lose Your Yay" that makes me smile.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:35 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakiba View Post
Speaking of Naruto, I kinda wish it had showed more of Shino. Dude is creepy as fuck (more because of the whole "my body is a hive to all sorts of insects" than his actual personality, which...there was very little of, admittedly) but that's what makes him neat. I don't even really remember him doing much. What a waste.

I'm waiting on Netflix like a chump, but I look forward to binge watching it. And I saw this pop up a few times, but there's something about "Don't Lose Your Yay" that makes me smile.
Agreed. Naruto and Bleach both have the problems where side-characters have more interesting concepts than a lot of the folks who have screentime, and way more characters exist than get development.

One Piece on the other hand gives everybody a backstory, even if it's just on the chapter covers. One Piece remains King.

Same on the Netflix wait, LWA looks very good though just based on the two previous Movies.

To reiterate what I had from the Discord though

EVERYONE READ GOLDEN KAMUI Seriously it's GOOD

Quote:
Take one ex-soldier with a remarkable talent for not dying, one Ainu girl with a grudge, and a treasure hunt through early 1900s Hokkaido, and you have Satoru Noda and Hiroshi Nakagawa's Golden Kamui. Currently being serialized in Weekly Young Jump, the series focuses on Sugimoto "The Immortal" Saichi, hero of the Russo-Japanese War, his Ainu friend and co-hunter Asirpa, and their search for a massive cache of gold (worth roughly 700M modern USD). However, they aren't the only ones out for it – the Imperial Japanese army has a highly skilled division seeking out the gold too, and that's not to mention the criminal who hid it.
Sugimoto is a goddang -Monster-

And Asirpa makes the best faces

And it's sprinkled with little random historical tidbits too! Of both Japan in general and Ainu culture specifically!

My Worldbuilding:
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Elune

Shadow Orb

Started Shippuden and it sorta feels like a let down. The whole show seems less colorful and the art style isn't as great as the first one.

But the main problem is that it just seems to ignore most of the cast from the previous series. Naruto ended with a cool cast and now it seems most of it is just discarded in favor of adding new characters. I don't know, I kinda expected this series would be Naruto and his gang chasing after Orochimaru, Sasuke and the Akatsuki. Really disappointed so far.

Maybe it would have been better if there had been no timeskip.

Tags
entertainment, japan, pokemon