Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #57476  
Old 04-08-2018, 05:47 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,017

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I take it you're not very familiar with the American Revolution.
Two hundred years out of date, but no matter. Observe the bit about 'splitting the military forces enough.'
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #57477  
Old 04-08-2018, 08:11 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Two hundred years out of date, but no matter. Observe the bit about 'splitting the military forces enough.'
You mean like in the American Revolution? The regulars did most of the actual heavy fighting. The militia didn't even fight the British regulars head-to-head except for a few times. The militia was mostly just a bunch of random guys with fowlers and sometimes rifles and couldn't really match up to the artillery and warships of the largest military in the world (though there are some instances of those being in possession of militia types).
The tactics the militia used were generally referred to as "Indian warfare" or "skulking" and constantly harassing the British using their greater knowledge of the local area. Catching them with their pants down and engaging in hit & run tactics. Pretty much what we would call guerrilla warfare today.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57478  
Old 04-09-2018, 06:09 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

Quote:
Militias in the US will never win versus the government, unless they can somehow split the military forces enough
Most studies done on the subject has the majority of the United States Military join the people. Thats including ones who stay in their posts to screw around the other side.

On top of that, modern weapons wont be used by the US government. First one would make it an international issue.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57479  
Old 04-09-2018, 07:19 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,046

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Most studies done on the subject has the majority of the United States Military join the people. Thats including ones who stay in their posts to screw around the other side.

On top of that, modern weapons wont be used by the US government. First one would make it an international issue.
To me it seems there is a growing gap between the soldiers and the public. The soldiers are all payed professionals, sent into distant battlefields for fairly abstract reasons. They have little in common with the relatively pampered civilians, some civilians may claim to love the troops but they don't get the situation the soldiers are in. Add in political divergences, wealth inequality and classism and a bunch of other things one of you Yanks would be more familiar with and the gap grows day by day. To me it is not at all inconceivable that in the not so distant future some US official may order the soldiers to shoot and that they will obey. Some of them anyway, and it only takes some since after you shed blood there is no way to unshed it. Violence will breed violence and things can spiral out of control very easily (i.e. someone shoots civies, civies lynch some soldiers, soldiers shoot more civies...).

All great empires fell because of deep institutional faults most could perceive but no one had the capability or desire to fix. Thinking that just because something has not happened yet or hasn't happened in a long time that it is impossible is a pretty sure way to enable that thing to happen. Take nothing for granted and dynamically solve problems, that is how a state remains healthy.
Reply With Quote
  #57480  
Old 04-09-2018, 09:04 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
To me it seems there is a growing gap between the soldiers and the public. The soldiers are all payed professionals, sent into distant battlefields for fairly abstract reasons. They have little in common with the relatively pampered civilians, some civilians may claim to love the troops but they don't get the situation the soldiers are in. Add in political divergences, wealth inequality and classism and a bunch of other things one of you Yanks would be more familiar with and the gap grows day by day. To me it is not at all inconceivable that in the not so distant future some US official may order the soldiers to shoot and that they will obey. Some of them anyway, and it only takes some since after you shed blood there is no way to unshed it. Violence will breed violence and things can spiral out of control very easily (i.e. someone shoots civies, civies lynch some soldiers, soldiers shoot more civies...).

All great empires fell because of deep institutional faults most could perceive but no one had the capability or desire to fix. Thinking that just because something has not happened yet or hasn't happened in a long time that it is impossible is a pretty sure way to enable that thing to happen. Take nothing for granted and dynamically solve problems, that is how a state remains healthy.
Some absolutely will stay and side with the government. Its the reality of the situation. Even more will sit it out completely.

I dont think its impossible for soldiers to shoot citizens, and there are deep institutional rifts within the United States. I wont deny that.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57481  
Old 04-13-2018, 06:02 PM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,825
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

The easiest way to have soldiers shoot civilians is to have the soldiers be from somewhere else in the country. Like the Chinese soldiers who crushed the Tienanmen Square protests were from the country, and thus had a bias against city people. Or all the stuff about US police patrolling areas where they don't live in.

Similarly, the soldiers who would shoot civilians would not be from that area at all. A generic white Trumper from Mississippi would probably shoot at Californians or New Yorkers. Similarly, some liberal from California probably wouldn't mind shooting at southerners they perceive as being lesser by virtue of seeming racist, ignorant, etc.

Beyond that, there's no way any one side will ever truly take over, with or without the Second Amendment.

If Obama declared himself president for life back in 2016, he'd be taken down before any anti-government militia put on. Similarly, if Trump were to declare himself president for life now, he'd also be taken down rapidly.

Trump Pardons Scooter Libby in a Case That Mirrors His Own

So much for the party of personal responsibility.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57482  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals


Those looking for an NRA alternative may also be interested in Gun Owners of America, the Liberal Gun Club, or the Socialist Rifle Association.

In related news, the Democrats' advantage for this year's elections is dwindling in concert with their push against gun rights.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1cc_story.html
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 04-16-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57483  
Old 04-22-2018, 01:07 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,825
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

Watch this judge brutally berate a woman in a wheelchair. The woman died. The judge has quit.

I shouldn't read the news before bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
In related news, the Democrats' advantage for this year's elections is dwindling in concert with their push against gun rights.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1cc_story.html
Shame.
__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57484  
Old 04-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Millenia Millenia is offline

Elune
Millenia's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 10,825
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Default

__________________
"All right, I'll get that kid to eat. Where's my screw driver and my plumber's helper? I'll open up his mouth and I'll shove it in."


The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Reply With Quote
  #57485  
Old 05-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Reinhardt Reinhardt is offline

Arch-Druid
Reinhardt's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,019

Default

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-north-572296

Because when I think about "responsible gun ownership" the first thing that comes to mind is "Islamic republic of Iran" and "Contras".
Reply With Quote
  #57486  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:35 AM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...r-north-572296

Because when I think about "responsible gun ownership" the first thing that comes to mind is "Islamic republic of Iran" and "Contras".
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57487  
Old 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

I've been talking shit about the NRA for years. Personally, I've always been more of a fan of GOA. There's also the LGC.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57488  
Old 05-27-2018, 12:35 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,174
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Is it really illegal to block people on social media in the US, or am I missing some important detail?
__________________

Last edited by Krainz; 05-27-2018 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57489  
Old 05-27-2018, 03:59 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
Is it really illegal to block people on social media in the US, or am I missing some important detail?
If a public official is making official statements in a public forum, they can't selectively mute people based on their political beliefs. The funny part is that it probably wouldn't have been a problem if the presidential administration hadn't declared all his tweets to be official statements.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a073d524fc46
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57490  
Old 05-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Krainz Krainz is offline

Troubadour
Krainz's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,174
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
If a public official is making official statements in a public forum
This news article says otherwise

Quote:
The plaintiffs, represented by Columbia University's Knight First Amendment Institute, are complaining about being blocked from following and interacting with Trump's personal @realDonaldTrump account. They did not allege that the president—or anyone else in his administration—has prevented them from following actual official U.S. government accounts such as @POTUS, @PressSec, or @WhiteHouse.

It seems clear that @realDonaldTrump is a primarily a personal account. He created it eight years before taking office. He now uses it for non-governmental campaign purposes, such as urging people to vote for certain state politicians. He also uses it to complain about witch hunts, John Kerry, fake news, and of course the White House Correspondents' Dinner—not one of which is an official position of the U.S. government.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57491  
Old 05-27-2018, 10:17 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
This news article says otherwise
They are official statements.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...statements-of/
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57492  
Old 06-06-2018, 08:30 AM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

McCabe seeks immunity for testimony in congressional hearing over FBI handling of Clinton email probe
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57493  
Old 06-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,173

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
McCabe seeks immunity for testimony in congressional hearing over FBI handling of Clinton email probe
Unsurprisingly, your statements are worded to be intentionally misleading. From the Hill:

Quote:
"Mr. McCabe is willing to testify, but because of the criminal referral, he must be afforded suitable legal protection," McCabe attorney Michael Bromwich wrote to Grassley, according to CNN.

"This is a textbook case for granting use immunity ... If this Committee is unwilling or unable to obtain such an order, then Mr. McCabe will have to no choice but to invoke his Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination."

McCabe is the subject of a criminal referral from the agency's inspector general, which has reportedly found that McCabe acted inappropriately by leaking information to a reporter and then lying about it to then-FBI Director James Comey.
It was regarding the whole "lacked candor" thing, which pertains to the bold and the bold alone. That's really the issue as opposed to any real problems within the FBI handling of the Clinton email probe.
Reply With Quote
  #57494  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

Quote:
Unsurprisingly, your statements are worded to be intentionally misleading. From the Hill:
I, to, think CNN is fake news.

__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57495  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:30 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Breaking: Major news outlet uses attention-grabbing headline. More at 11.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57496  
Old 06-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,011

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Breaking: Major news outlet uses attention-grabbing headline. More at 11.
suppressio veri, my dude.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #57497  
Old 06-06-2018, 05:33 PM
C9H20 C9H20 is offline

Elune
C9H20's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 12,046

Default

Hah, really says a lot about the state of US politics when half the country is absolutely convinced the whole world is run by Putin and the other think the Clintons are part of a murderous, pedophile, cannibal cult.

You guys really need to pull your heads out of your asses and start talking to each other again or this insane polarization may well blow up your country one day.
Reply With Quote
  #57498  
Old 06-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,136

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Hah, really says a lot about the state of US politics when half the country is absolutely convinced the whole world is run by Putin and the other think the Clintons are part of a murderous, pedophile, cannibal cult.

You guys really need to pull your heads out of your asses and start talking to each other again or this insane polarization may well blow up your country one day.
The polarization has gotten ridiculous. Purity tests everywhere on all sides. Everyone has retreated into their echo chambers and only gets word of "the other side" when it's a screenshot of a tumblr or 4chan post of the most ridiculous, strawman-like position that perfectly opposes what "your side" stands for to show exactly how bad "the other side" is. The internet has both segregated and brought people together in terrible ways.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #57499  
Old 06-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,173

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I, to, think CNN is fake news.
Stop gaslighting, Ruinshin. And I thought you would know the difference between news and a catchy headline, but apparently not. Because if you bother reading the CNN article it repeats everything that I had linked from the Hill article.

Last edited by Genesis; 06-07-2018 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #57500  
Old 06-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Bolvar Bolvar is offline

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!
Bolvar's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Get off my lawn!
Posts: 19,898

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The polarization has gotten ridiculous. Purity tests everywhere on all sides. Everyone has retreated into their echo chambers and only gets word of "the other side" when it's a screenshot of a tumblr or 4chan post of the most ridiculous, strawman-like position that perfectly opposes what "your side" stands for to show exactly how bad "the other side" is. The internet has both segregated and brought people together in terrible ways.
The thought police on both sides have reached epic levels of stupid.

As much fun as it is to see people cutting off their noses to spite their faces, it's getting absurd.
__________________
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.